• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Announces new Prices For Basic and Premium Plans

Draugoth

Gold Member

Netflix will be rolling out price increases for some consumers in the U.S., U.K. and France starting Wednesday.

In the U.S., the prices for the basic plan — the lowest tier plan without advertising, which is no longer available to new members — will increase from $9.99 to $11.99, while the premium plan, which allows users to watch in Ultra HD on supported devices and download on six supported devices at a time, will increase from $19.99 to $22.99. The plan with ads, at $6.99, and standard plan, at $15.49, will remain the same price.

But its premium ad-free plan now costs £17.99 in the UK - a rise of £2 - with basic plans priced at £7.99. Ad-supported and standard subscriptions remain at their current levels.

Shares rose by as much as 13% in after-hours trading - but revenues of $8.54bn (£7.05bn) in the third quarter slightly missed Wall Street estimates.

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

Not that I've used Netflix since a free subscription I had years back expired (do they even run that promo anymore?), but:
zsmM2oD.gif

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
UK prices here if you want to add this to the OP.

But its premium ad-free plan now costs £17.99 in the UK - a rise of £2 - with basic plans priced at £7.99. Ad-supported and standard subscriptions remain at their current levels.

Shares rose by as much as 13% in after-hours trading - but revenues of $8.54bn (£7.05bn) in the third quarter slightly missed Wall Street estimates.

Reallink

You can take solace in the fact you gave a raise to the LGBTQ minority who's going to cast you as the villain in all their shows. That's worth $3 to me.

YCoCg

"We're having a difficult period, ...so we're increasing our prices"
"We're losing business to password sharing, ...so we're increasing our prices"
"We've had millions of more people subscribe and profits are great, ...so we're increasing our prices"
"Fuck it, we ain't giving you a reason anymore, ...so we're increasing our prices"

Little Mac

Gold Member
If I just got a nice 4K tv and wanted a streaming service that showed off its capabilities, I would need the $23/month plan? Seriously?!

Billbofet

Aside from a solid documentary a few times per year, the rest of Netflix content is trash.
I would think in light of the strike and content loss incoming from that, the value (low) will truly be highlighted.
That said, sheeple keep on sheeping!

YCoCg

If I just got a nice 4K tv and wanted a streaming service that showed off its capabilities, I would need the $23/month plan? Seriously?!
To be honest, what's even more annoying, Netflix streaming quality isn't anywhere near that good compared to other services, hell in some countries it's barely above YouTube standards, ever since the whole COVID stuff where they lowered their bitrates there's still places where they haven't increased them again. Apple offers the best streaming quality outside of that one Sony Bravia service which does Blu-ray quality rates.

Sonik

The sheep will still pay for the generic, forgettable slop Netflix is feeding them, they might lose some customers but the profit they'll make from idiots will make up and then some. I had it for free for a long time and barely used it, it suddens me to say this because I fucking hate Bezos but even Amazon Prime is better than it nowadays

Neon Xenon

If I wasn’t getting a discount thru T-Mobile I would drop Netflix in a heartbeat.
My T-Mobile plan was offering Netflix for free.

...Except it was only the Basic plan, and this offer was partly intended to take the place of the previous free Amazon Prime that was active. And I don't think I need to say that any Netflix is no real replacement for Amazon Prime.

Pilgrimzero

Obvious this would happen,

The second they might have to pay actors and writers more money, they sure as heck aren't going to cut into profits. Better to increase costs to customers.

Expect movie tickets etc to increase as well. Hollywood sure as hell isn't going to pay for increased wages.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I don't have Netflix anymore. I'll occasionally sub for a month and watch some stuff, then wait another year.

Laieon

There is no streaming service currently in existence that would show off the real capabilities of a nice 4k tv. 4k streams are often worse than Blu Rays because they have terrible bitrates. Audio is especially bad.

Example:

If you want to show off the capabilities of your nice 4k TV, invest in physical media (or kaleidoscope).

Last edited:

Liamario

Banned
Argghh, the ferryman asks a lot when I might have a mind to take me Own vessel across yonder seas
(Verse 1)
In the age of digital tides, a tale to be told,
Of streaming services, greedy and bold.
They sought to control, with coffers they'd swell,
But soon the average consumer, they'd repel.

(Chorus)
Heave ho, me hearties, let the story be sung,
Of movie streaming services, they thought they'd won.
But when they got greedy, and raised the fee high,
The average folk looked elsewhere, to the sky.

(Verse 2)
Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime,
Their prices rose, it was such a crime.
Consumers cried, "We can't afford this spree!"
Seeking content elsewhere, out to sea.

(Chorus)

(Verse 3)
Through torrents and streams, they set sail on the web,
To find the shows and movies that they'd dread.
The pirates of content, in the digital night,
Seeking alternatives, they'd take flight.

(Chorus)

(Verse 4)
The lesson we learn from this digital chase,
Is that greed in the end will leave a bitter taste.
For in the vast ocean of the internet's sea,
The average consumer finds content for free.

(Chorus)

Jenov

Fuuuuu

I should cancel my Netflix. Especially since they made it a pain in the ass to share now. HBO doesn’t do this shit. At least not yet.

MacReady13

Nope. Get fucked and stay fucked.
Yeah but the amount of content you can watch is amazing! Best deal in subscription tv! Imagine you wanted to watch everything Netflix had on but buy it on physical media?! It's a no brainer to stay subbed to this awesome service! They could increase to $50 a month and the value would still be out of this world! I love sub services! May they reign forever! Sorry but i'm just content to own nothing and remain happy about it! Yay!!! /s

MacReady13

imagine paying subscription for a library of spam and any original spam they make gets canceled after 1 or 2 seasons.
They call it "content". It what sub services of ALL kinds thrive on. So long as they can tell you we have hundreds or thousands of shows/games etc on here then it's all good! Look how much content you have to watch/play!!!

diffusionx

Gold Member
$23 a month for their library of endless, grade-z, lowest-common denominator garbage "content" is just hilarious. But they are riding high after their password sharing thing worked so well.

Last edited:

Embearded

They ask for more money so they keep making trash shows like too hot to handle and circle while leaving Criminal and god damn MINDHUNDER in the dark.
Fuck you Netflix.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
If T-Mobile wasn't paying for my sub, I would be cancelling it. Every once in a while, there's some good stuff on there, documentaries, movies, etc, otherwise, not worth the cash.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So, alternatives for K-Dramas? I don't see my wife leaving Netflix unless an alternative is provided.
viki.com is still $10 /month for their "plus" plan = no ads, HD video, and has a ton of k-dramas. They have apps for damn near everything. Their $10/month plan also lets you download shows to watch offline.

If T-Mobile wasn't paying for my sub, I would be cancelling it. Every once in a while, there's some good stuff on there, documentaries, movies, etc, otherwise, not worth the cash.

Same here. I'll throw it on every now and then to see if anything interesting was added, but it would have been gone a long time ago if I was paying for it directly.

Top Bottom