• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Princess |OT| - When you wish upon a star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

uARjTu7.jpg

kXhPRe5.png

Disney Princess is a media franchise owned by The Walt Disney Company, originally created by Disney Consumer Products chairman Andy Mooney in the late 1990s, officially launching in 2000. The original nine princesses were: Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan and Tinker Bell. Tinker Bell was removed shortly after the franchise debuted, leaving 8 official Disney Princesses.

The franchise spotlights a line-up of fictional female heroines who have appeared in Disney animated feature films. The franchise currently includes eleven female protagonists from ten different Walt Disney Animation Studios films and one Pixar film who are either royal by birth, royal by marriage or considered a "princess" due to their significant portrayal of heroism in their film.

Most recently, the line-up has expanded to include Tiana, Rapunzel and Merida after the successes of their respective films. Moana is the next expected addition to the line up.

The Line Up

Snow_White_and_the____by_daekazu.jpg

jcme7oD.png

The character of Snow White first originated in 1937 from a Brothers Grimm fairy tale "Schneewittchen" about a beautiful German princess with a jealous stepmother. Walt Disney turned this classic fairy tale into his very first animated feature film. Her true love is Prince Ferdinand, who breaks her sleeping death 'slumber' (caused by the Evil Queen) with love's first kiss. She befriends the seven dwarfs during her stay at their cottage. At 14, she's the youngest of the Princesses.

cinderella_by_daekazu-d39998i.jpg

SqNmkQ4.png

The best-known version of Cinderella is the fairy tale "Cendrillon" by Charles Perrault in 1697. In 1950, it was turned into an animated feature-length film by Walt Disney. Cinderella Tremaine is the second eldest of all the Disney Princesses. She is 19 years of age during the events of the film. Her stepmother turned her into the family's sole servant after the death of her father. With magical help from her Fairy Godmother, she attends a royal ball and meets the prince of her kingdom, and eventually marries him, thus freeing her from her life of servitude. Cinderella is often considered the leader of the Princesses; often being put in the center of the group shots.

aurora_by_yourpsychotherapist-d5ta35r.jpg

KgQHmCQ.png

Best known as the heroine of the 1959 animated classic Sleeping Beauty which is very loosely based on Charles Perrault's "La Belle au Bois Dormant". Although her dress changes from blue to pink thanks to disagreement between two of her guardians, Merryweather and Flora, outside the film she is most commonly seen wearing pink. She was cursed at birth to die before the sun sets on her 16th birthday by the evil fairy Maleficent. One of the three good fairies, Merryweather, was able to weaken the curse by changing death to a deep slumber that could only be awakened by true love's kiss. By falling in love with Prince Phillip, the prince of a neighboring kingdom—and unknown to either of them, her betrothed) she was freed from the curse. Aurora is shown to be one of the taller princesses in the franchise.

ariel_by_einlee-d1mzaqp.jpg

6ae2QSY.png

The heroine of the 1989 film, loosely based on the Danish fairy tale "Den Lille Havfrue" by Hans Christian Andersen, and the daughter of King Triton, ruler of the sea, 16-year old mermaid Ariel falls in love with a dashing human prince named Eric, an extension of her fascination with all things from the surface world. Her dream of life on land makes her vulnerable to Ursula's offer as her only chance to be with Eric. Ursula persuades her to trade her voice to the sea witch (who was supposed to be her aunt in the uncut version of the film), in order to become a human and be with him forever. However, Ursula cunningly tricks her.

Hans Christian Andersen's original character dissolves into foam on the sea after the prince marries someone else, but through an act of compassion is transformed into a spirit of the air. Co-director Ron Clements felt the story was too tragic and changed the original character from the tragic but hopeful heroine, to the brave and resourceful Ariel.

belle_by_donatelladrago-d3cylcw.jpg

6UiL0c8.png

The French commoner who is the heroine of the 1991 animated classic Beauty and the Beast, is loosely based on the French fairy tale "La Belle et la Bête" abridged from the version by Madame Jeanne-Marie le Prince de Beaumont. The name Belle translates from the French word for "beauty". She selflessly trades her freedom for that of her father in a bargains with the Beast and becomes his prisoner/guest. She soon learns to see the good hidden behind his hideous appearance and rough manner eventually falling in love with him over time. By confessing her love at the end of the movie, she breaks the spell placed on him by an enchantress. The Beast and all his household are restored to their human forms and Belle becomes his princess.

jasmine_by_donatelladrago-d3axwll.png

zQ06AUU.png

The spunky, independent Arabian Princess of Agrabah, who dreams of seeing what's beyond her palace and be freed from her father's constant pestering of arranged royal marriage. She falls in love with the title character in 1992's Aladdin, whom she eventually marries.

She is loosely based on Princess Badroulbadour (Arabic بدر البدور, badru l-budūr, "full moon of full moons") featured in the story of "Aladdin and his Wonderful Lamp" from "One Thousand and One Nights" of Scheherazade. Interestingly, the original story took place in China and not the Middle East.

pocahontas_by_sakimichan-d4t31ub.jpg

7n8xLzN.png

Disney's Pocahontas is loosely based on the real-life Native American "princess" of the Powhatan tribe (a name also borne by her father, the chief). Her real name was Matoaka, since Pocahontas was her nickname and meant 'Playful One'. She falls in love with a man named John Smith, who helps her prevent a war from commencing between their people. At the end of the film, John is wounded and sent back to London for treatment.

mulan_by_aikaxx-d5fq2of.jpg

5QdPY4g.png

Fa Mulan (or Mulan Fa) is a brave Chinese heroine who dresses up like a soldier and goes to war in place of her crippled father, risking death and dishonor. She is a friend of the Emperor and his daughters, however she has no relation to the royal chinese family, therefore she is not a royal princess.

She is loosely based on the heroine from the well-known ancient Chinese poem "The Ballad of Mulan" (木蘭詩). She is the only Disney Princess who is not royal by blood or marriage and is literally not one. However, she has the honor of a princess because she achieved honor from the Emperor himself by saving China. During her stay in the army, she falls in love with the captain, Li Shang, whom she starts dating by the end of the film.

princess_and_the_frog__tiana_by_daekazu-d33c0lz.jpg

q4wXQAS.png

Partly inspired from E.D Baker's 2002 novel The Frog Princess, and the original fairy tale "The Frog Prince". Tiana is the heroine of the 2009 animated film The Princess and the Frog and is the first Princess of African-American descent (and the only American one). She dreams of opening her own restaurant through hard work. By kissing Prince Naveen in frog form, she is turned into a frog because she kissed him for material gain, not love, and the magic can only be broken by a princess, so they are forced to set on a journey to find a way to undo the magic. Eventually, she finds herself falling for the handsome, but spoiled prince and willingly gives up her personal wants to be with him. By marrying the prince, Tiana becomes a real princess and with her love breaks the spell with a kiss. They finally open their own restaurant at the end of the film.

She is the first and currently the only Princess whose story was inspired by an original fairy tale, a novel and a real life person.

rapunzel_by_rechka-d5uqt56.jpg

2imjGIg.png

The heroine from the animated feature Tangled is loosely based on the German title character from the Brothers Grimm fairy tale "Rapunzel". Her long hair, which is said to measure 70 feet in length, not only has magical healing powers, but can be used as a weapon. Given the power by a magic golden flower, Mother Gothel kidnaps her as an infant to use her power to keep herself young. 18 years later, Rapunzel sneaks away from her tower with a thief, Flynn Rider, and sets on her own journey to find the flying lanterns that float into the sky every year on her birthday. To free her from Gothel's clutches, Flynn cuts her hair, thus destroying her power, and she is returned to her family. Rapunzel was "officially welcomed into the Disney Princess Royal Court" during a promotional event at Kensington Palace in London on October 2, 2011. Interestingly, even though Rapunzel's long golden hair is cut off in the movie, changing it from blonde to brown, her redesigned image shows it fully restored back to blonde, although somewhat shorter than its original 70-foot length.

45f496923c6153c5fc53668618f6d6b6-d3ie3ie.jpg

bRy6bu8.png

Merida is the 16-year old daughter of Queen Elinor, who rules the kingdom alongside her husband, King Fergus. Queen Elinor's expectations and demands of her daughter make Merida see Elinor as being cold, unfeeling and distant causing friction between the two. Despite Elinor's desire to see Merida as a proper royal lady, Merida is an impetuous girl with wild, unruly ginger hair and a passionate desire to take control of her own destiny. Merida has honed her skill with the bow, and is the most skilled archers in her kingdom. She is also well trained in sword-fighting and an expert horsewoman, riding wildly across the countryside on her horse, Angus.

She is the second princess from a Pixar film (the first is Princess Atta from A Bug's Life), the first original princess in the line-up that not inspired by either literature (Snow White, Cinderella, etc.) or real-life (Pocahontas, Tiana) works and the first without a love interest. She also never sings a major song, thus breaking away the traditional line-up, though as a child, she sang a small verse of a song in Gaelic, and Merida's rich Scottish brogue makes her the second Disney Princess with an accent other than Standard American.

Future Disney Princesses

moana_by_arbetta-d7zem92.jpg

6ScQSOY.png

Moana is an upcoming Disney Princess musical film set to be released on November 23, 2016, featuring Moana, a spirited teenager who will also be Disney's first Polynesian princess.

Former Princesses

Esmeralda_by_H_Johanna.jpg

When the Disney Princess franchise was formed, Esmeralda was part of it, along with Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas and Mulan. She had remained in the franchise until 2004, appearing in many products, and also in some events. However, since 2005, she has not been seen along with the other Princesses in any product, or event related to the franchise. Some issues may have led Disney to make that decision:

• Her sultry pose in the film may have influenced the decision.
  • The fact of not having connections with royalty.
  • Her clothes deemed inappropriate for a princess.
  • The unpopularity of her film.
  • The fact of living on the streets, and not in a respectable family, like all the other Princesses.
  • Not generating enough profits.
  • The dark plot of her film.
However, the possible reasons that led her to join the franchise was the fact of having an animal friend, singing in the film, as well as all the Disney Princesses (with the exception of Merida). Currently, nothing has been said if she will ever return to the Princess franchise.

giselle_by_vp_artworks-d4phw3q.jpg

Giselle would have been the first official Disney Princess to come from a film that is not part of the Disney Animation Canon. She would've also been the fifth Disney Princess (the first being Snow White, the second being Cinderella, the third being Aurora, the fourth being Ariel, the sixth being Rapunzel) to have a female antagonist in their film.

Disney had planned to include Giselle in the Disney Princess line-up, to the point where a prototype Giselle doll appeared at the Toy Fair in 2007. However the plans were quickly dropped when the company realized they would have to pay royalties to Amy Adams for using her likeness.

tinkerbell_by_kawacy-d66oak7.jpg

Tinker Bell has the dubious distinction of being the only character dropped from the official Disney Princess line-up, her brief tenure coming to an end when it was felt she didn't fit the mythology. She was later made the mascot of the Disney Fairies franchise.

Unofficial Princesses

258px-Kairi_KHII.png

258px-Jane_clipart.png

258px-Daisydisney.jpg

258px-595157-alice1_large.jpg

258px-Img02.png

258px-131057565447404.gif

258px-Eil.jpg

258px-Meg-vol2-disney-princess-30782130-281-700.jpg

KilalaPrincess_225.jpg

258px-Kidagakash-disney906.jpg

258px-Sofia_the_first_1.png

258px-Princess_Elena.jpg

MelodyImage.png

258px-Lion2-disneyscreencaps.com-3256.jpg

258px-Ting.png

258px-Vanellope_profile.png

Skipped Princesses
anna_by_rikamello-d7dmwxn.jpg

dwuiA4C.png

Anna is the Norwegian heroine and main protagonist of the 2013 animated feature Frozen. Anna is loosely based on Gerda, the heroine from the Danish fairy tale "Snedronningen" or "The Snow Queen" by Hans Christian Andersen.

She is a member of a royal family and the younger sister of Elsa. While Elsa is known to be beautiful, elegant and loved by the townspeople, Anna remains somewhat of a free spirit. Anna is more daring than graceful and, at times, can act before she thinks. But she's also the most optimistic and caring person you'll ever meet. She has a very close relationship with her older sister until this bond is shattered by an accident when they are children. When trying to reconnect with her, Anna messes things up at Elsa's coronation, leading to Elsa revealing her powers over ice and snow and accidentally cursing the kingdom. Anna then embarks on a dangerous journey to set things right. She longs to reconnect with Elsa, as they were close during their childhood.

elsa_by_sharpie91-d6vva0n.png

0dSJQr9.png

Elsa the Snow Queen is the deuteragonist of the 2013 animated feature Frozen and Anna's older sister. She is loosely based on Kai and The Snow Queen from the fairy tale "The Snow Queen" by Hans Christian Andersen.

She was the crown princess of Arendelle and was crowned Queen until her powers over ice were exposed, causing her to flee and become the feared Snow Queen. However, the bond between her and her sister warms her frozen heart, allowing her to use her magic for the greater good.
Frozen is so financially successful that Disney opted to omit its princesses from the line up.

Why make a Disney Princess OT when we already have a Disney OT? Well why not? There's a KH OT and a OT for each of the HD ReMix. So why not have two disney threads?

-----

To get started, who's your favorite princess?

bjork

I know Brave isn't as popular as other princess films, but it got me in just the right spot, so now I like Merida best. Got a couple of store standees from the DVD release and a big plush of Mumbear, etc.

The info in the OP is more fascinating than I was expecting. I had no idea Anna and Elsa weren't official princesses. I'm surprised Sofia isn't either. Also I had no idea Esmerelda was kicked out.

TEJ

Isn't nala technically a princess? Betrothed to a prince.

And before anyone corrects me, that is kiara in the unofficial disney princess line. She is an actual princess.

Goliath

Hmmm, I always liked Mulan. She was strong, confident and had an eddie murphy companion. That's a win for me.

I do hope these princesses become more diverse and have more agency. If I have a daughter it would be nice if there is a princess she can look at and attempt to relate to on ethnic level. I know people shouldn't necessarily relate to people on such a shallow level as race but as a Hispanic who grew up with little to no Hispanic Superheroes, cartoons, policians or actors, it means alot to have someone who looks like you as a symbol of strength, hope, intellegence and overall awesomeness. Especially in a world where some people see none of those characteristics in your ethnicity.

Malyse

I kept scrolling and it just kept going.

OMwYetf.gif

Hmmm, I always liked Mulan. She was strong, confident and had an eddie murphy companion. That's a win for me.

I do hope these princesses become more diverse and have more agency. If I have a daughter it would be nice if there is a princess she can look at and attempt to relate to on ethnic level. I know people shouldn't necessarily relate to people on such a shallow level as race but as a Hispanic who grew up with little to no Hispanic Superheroes, cartoons, policians or actors, it means alot to have someone who looks like you as a symbol of strength, hope, intellegence and overall awesomeness. Especially in a world where some people see none of those characteristics in your ethnicity.

I'm hoping Elena becomes official

Where was Giselle from again? I can't seem to remember.

Enchanted, my second favorite film of all time (and my favorite Disney film)

I don't even know why I clicked on this thread since I have no real interest in Disney, but just thinking about this, given how massively popular Disney is in Japan I'm surprised they haven't used that as a setting for a princess story.

Malyse

I don't even know why I clicked on this thread since I have no real interest in Disney, but just thinking about this, given how massively popular Disney is in Japan I'm surprised they haven't used that as a setting for a princess story.

I would love for there to be a Kaguya Hime princess film. I also want Ozma.

They could do a Princess Kaguya movie.

I would love for there to be a Kaguya Hime princess film. I also want Ozma.

Ozma? Like the super bouncy ball from Final Fantasy?

Viremira

Aurora has always been my favorite, Sleeping Beauty was the second movie my mother bought for me as a kid, the first was Snowwhite, I just wish Disney would release more of her in the blue colored dress.
Ariel comes a close second yet my fave villains goes Ursula then Maleficent.

studyguy

Snow White being like 14 still blows my mind. Girl looks like 3 times her age in that film. It's the hair.
Also makes the story seem sorta creepy.

Malyse

They could do a Princess Kaguya movie.

Ozma? Like the super bouncy ball from Final Fantasy?
Princess_Ozma_and_Tip_by_Blush_Art.jpg

Game's stunk in your head, huh?
wizard of Oz
What about the princess from Atlantis?

In the OP. One of the few royals not in the lineup.

If I had my druthers, Meg, Kida, Kairi, Elena, Elilonwy, Esmerelda, and Giselle
and Jeena
would all be added to the lineup immediately.
And when Disney buys Nintendo, Samus, Zelda, Peach, Rosalina, Lucina, and Daisy would be added to the lineup.

Snow White being like 14 still blows my mind. Girl looks like 3 times her age in that film. It's the hair.

In the original, she was 7.

wsippel

Banned
Marriage age for girls in the early middle ages was 13. In the late middle ages, it was 15 for girls, 12 for boys.

Trago

I think we can all agree that Cinderella is the best, and Ariel is one of the worst.

Tiana and Mulan tie for second best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom