• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do guys really shower naked in American schools/colleges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper

Where I am from, no guy would EVER shower naked in the school or college showers? I can't ever imagine doing that at my school.

But every time I watch an American movie or show depicting a high school or college change room/locker room/showers, it’s presented as if the guys are all showering together naked or changing in front of each other?

Isn’t this incredibly awkward like in high school or college, where you hate (or are hated) by a lot of people in class, and you are seeing them/they are seeing you butt naked?

Is this really normal in America?

gdt

It's non-uncommon, but it never happened to me.

Edit: We had showers in middle school, but it was to wash the chlorine off from the swimming pool, so we had trunks on.

Jasper said:
Where I am from, no guy would EVER shower naked in the school or college showers? I can't ever imagine doing that at my school.

But every time I watch an American movie or show depicting a high school or college change room/locker room/showers, it’s presented as if the guys are all showering together naked or changing in front of each other?

Isn’t this incredibly awkward like in high school or college, where you hate (or are hated) by a lot of people in class, and you are seeing them/they are seeing you butt naked?

Is this really normal in America?
In a communal shower, you mean?

2rfv6zp.gif

NMan

Where I went to school (Purdue), the showers had curtains so you had privacy. Not sure what kind of crazy school you went to.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
many dorm setups have communal bathrooms. in the dorms i lived in, the showers were at least separated from one another by a curtain.

however i swam in high school and there people showered naked in the open.

i dunno.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
you shower with your clothes on?

anyway, my dorm had curtains separating everyone.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
In my Middle and High school, the showers never got used, ever. I think at best the sports teams may of used them.

Alucrid

Banned
Y2Kev said:
many dorm setups have communal bathrooms. in the dorms i lived in, the showers were at least separated from one another by a curtain.

however i swam in high school and there people showered naked in the open.

i dunno.

Swimmers in my school used to pee on each other in the shower.

But yeah, in college all the communal bathrooms I've been to have separate stalls for showers.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Yeah, it's relatively common here.

Where are you from, OP?

Jasper

j_k_redtail said:
In a communal shower, you mean?

Yeah, like one massive communal shower where after gym class in school, all the guys are like centimeters away from each other, showering naked.

I can’t imagine doing that with people in my class I dislike or who dislikes me.

Edit: From Australia

tokkun

Jasper said:

I would like to call attention to this portion of your premise.

ToxicAdam

We had them in middle school. It sucked to be a pre-pubscent 7th grader having to be nude in front of 8th graders that had already hit puberty.

Nine times out of ten, I just wouldn't shower.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
My old Middle School from the 70s had not yet been retrofitted with curtains or anything, nobody would shower naked.

The highschool had curtens for it's new gym, but the old gym from the 60s did not.

I don't have a problem showering nude after a work out in the gym.

What I have a problem are these old men walking around naked in the locker room/shower area. They just don't give a fuck. :lol :lol

mug

spindashing said:
I don't have a problem showering nude after a work out in the gym.

What I have a problem are these old men walking around naked in the lockerroom shower area. They just don't give a fuck. :lol :lol
Yeah now that's pretty common - those old guys and the WW2 generation. I don't recall any public schools having open showers like that in the locker rooms. It could vary with private or public institutions. It's mainly a sports thing anyway.

My high school had a communal shower but I dont think it was ever used. EVER.

In middle school, we showered after pool use, but with trunks on. Most people then did a very quick trunk to underwear transition.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I've showered numerous times naked in multi-people showers. What's the big deal?

Europe, by the way.

Alucrid said:
Swimmers in my school used to pee on each other in the shower.

But yeah, in college all the communal bathrooms I've been to have separate stalls for showers.

When I was on the football and wrestling teams we used to piss on the under-classmen since Varsity and JV were usually in the showers around the same time.

I wonder what OP would think about our toilets without stalls? I was one of the only dudes that would shit in front of everyone. I actually kinda enjoyed doing it. The glorious feeling of looking at a dude who has a look of disgust on his face, directed toward you, and giving him the feelsgoodman face in return.

My high school had a communal shower but I never used it and most others didn't either.

In college each shower stall has a door or at least a curtain.

owlbeak

My College had a communal shower on the second floor where my room was - just an open room with a bunch of shower heads. I opted to walk up the third floor where it had shower stalls and doors.

big_z

those are prison showers. fantastic for checking out other dongs and then feeling sad that yours is so small.

Oh goodness, this was my biggest fear.

Glad that all my gym classes were scheduled at the end of the day. I just went home after class and washed up there.

I, for one, did not want my fellow bros' to see my dong and I sure didn't want to see their dongs either. Ugh, dongs.

Alucrid

Banned
Atramental said:

Glad that all my gym classes were scheduled at the end of the day. I just went home after class and washed up there.

I, for one, did not want my fellow bros' to see my dong and I sure didn't want to see their dongs either. Ugh, dongs.

Yeah. Who needs 'em, right?

My high school had showers but they never got used because you had to walk from the gym through the showers themselves to get back to the locker room. Wonder who the hell designed it that way.

MetalAlien

Banned
Atramental said:

cats.gif
hmmmm

We had the open showers in high school but never used them because the football coach would always be in there sitting in a chair reading a newspaper for some reason. It was his favorite place to read, I guess. Or maybe he was hoping for something? I dunno.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Just don't look at other dongs! It's commonly thought of as being the right way to handle public showering. When nobody looks at other dongs, it's all good. It's just like it is with urinals.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Australia here and I used to shower naked in high school all the time. It was just a long wall of showers in the guys locker room. The girls had dividers between each shower.

Alucrid

Banned
wmat said:
Just don't look at other dongs! It's commonly thought of as being the right way to handle public showering. When nobody looks at other dongs, it's all good. It's just like it is with urinals.

I can only look at 45 degree angles though.

Chris R

Had open showers built into the locker rooms in middle and high school, but never used them. There was changing of clothes of course, but no nudity.

Showers did occur the two weeks we did swimming in HS though, but since that was at the pool things were different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom