• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DO THE MATH.... Sony expanding first party development is a FAR better strategy than acquiring a big third party publishers

Lognor

Banned
#1 Microsoft has said that they are going to keep COD on PS
#2 Who said it wouldn't affect their bottomline if it wasn't, but that isn't what you said, you said it makes them billions... Which is just not true.
I didn't say billions. Maybe someone else did? But it actually has been billions earned since COD became a massive success. So why wouldn't it be billions into the future? It's a cumulative number, not an annual number. Definitely a massive blow.

Microsoft made the same type of comments before the Bethesda acquisition was finalized. Once it was they made the comment that the games would only be on those devices that have Game Pass. The same will happen to COD. It will no longer be on PS

Something absurd like 55% of all gamers play COD according to the stats lol.

I guess 55% is a fraction so you're not wrong, it's just a lot bigger of a fraction than you thought it was.

They also play NBA, Fortnite, Madden, and FIFA. If the PS6 didn't have them, 20 million people wouldn't be buying Spider Man 3 on it.

Think about this for a second...

The PS4 alone sold over 100m consoles, and the XB1 may be 40-50+m.

There is not a single COD game that sold up to 70m copies, and the above is not even counting PC.

There is no universe in which 55% of all gamers play COD. You're either pulling numbers out of your ass, or just plain old misinformed.

Hinedorf

Banned
I have an even simpler math. How many "exclusives" does Sony have left that I want = 1
How many new consoles do I need to buy in order to play the last remaining exclusive Sony has = 0

People buy consoles for games, if the majority of games exist on MS consoles, MS wins. I've been a glorified Sony fanboy in their pocket for years and I can't honestly justify any reason to keep supporting PS5 going forward. I don't even need an X1 as I have a great PC but at this point I'd rather have a new MS console than Sony. Don't really need math to see Sony is sucking.

clarky

Gold Member
Investor's don't like uncertainty. Cutting off revenue stream from PS player base with no obvious method for replacing lost revenue would cost Microsoft billions.

It goes both ways and in this case exclusivity doesn't benefit either party.

You replace the revenue by growing your MAU. This helps them do that much faster. Exclusivity absolutely benefits MS here.

Analogy time:
If you have 2 arcades next to each other they both have Sega's Hang-on, both had it for a few years, very popular. One arcade has just bought the new Outrun game the one with all the fancy hydraulics , all the kids are coming over to your place to play and check it out. Business is booming while next door is empty. Not only do you gain from increased sales but you profit in many other ways, spend on your other games goes up, soda and snacks sales etc etc. The local weed dealer starts hanging out you get a cut off him too. Your not buying another outrun machine and sticking it in your competitors place and taking a 30% cut. makes no sense.

The value of one customer at your place is more valuable to you than a 30% cut on even 3 or 4 next door by a large margin.

Ok the numbers might be a little bigger, but you catch my drift.

To be clear, im not saying Sony is going out of business here, before I get jumped on.

Last edited:

Mozza

Or do the math's that Sony do not have the cash to throw around like Microsoft, so have to do things differently, but seriously if they did they would be buying everyone. ;)

Three

from tweaktown article itself:

"In 2020 alone, Call of Duty generated $3 billion in total revenues across Warzone, mainline games, and mobile titles"

we also know that the sales on PlayStation are around 70% or their total

we know that top playstation 2021 ..1° and 3° sales digital+physical are
1) Call of Duty: Vanguard
2) Madden NFL 22
3) Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War
4)Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales

in 2020
1) Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War
2) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
12) Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales

"Call of Duty is, once again, the obvious winner on this chart. The series has the top two slots with 2020’s Call of Duty: Black Ops — Cold War and 2019’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare at No. 2.

“Call of Duty ranked as the best-selling gaming franchise in the U.S. market for a record 12th consecutive year,” NPD analyst Mat Piscatella said."

and more

"Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 is part of the hugely successful Call of Duty franchise of video games. Of the over 15 million units of the game sold around the world on PlayStation 4"

that alone would be more than 700m for Sony after the 70% cut from Activision.

let's see this
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009)
25.02m
Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010)
30.99m
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011) 30.97m
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012) 29.59m
Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013)
28.8m
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014)
21.78m
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (2015) 26.72m (we talked about this just before)
Call of Duty: WWII (2017)
19.82m
etc etc etc

Sony would lose 85 to 260m /s..yesh...and this counting just the mainline
You're still not providing any link for this 70% of $3B data. It's bullshit.

In 2020 alone, Call of Duty generated $3 billion in total revenues across Warzone, mainline games, and mobile titles"

Across warzone and mobile. Show me where 70% of this revenue is on PS.

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

I actually believe that brand loyalty > game loyalty, I am pretty sure if COD goes exclusive, there will be a paradigm shift and a lot of people will try the closest alternative and stick with it just so they can stick with their familiar console/brand.

It's like saying an iphone user would switch to android because Whatsapp stops being available.

Microsoft will do the calculations as they did with Minecraft and choose not to undermine their newly bought ips, Bethesda doesn't even come close to COD numbers and mainstream appeal which makes this a completely different beast to calculate and predict.

Mozza

I actually believe that brand loyalty > game loyalty, I am pretty sure if COD goes exclusive, there will be a paradigm shift and a lot of people will try the closest alternative and stick with it just so they can stick with their familiar console/brand.

It's like saying an iphone user would switch to android because Whatsapp stops being available.

Microsoft will do the calculations as they did with Minecraft and choose not to undermine their newly bought ips, Bethesda doesn't even come close to COD numbers and mainstream appeal which makes this a completely different beast to calculate and predict.
Outside of the core the loyalty is just not there, some just buy a console to play a few of their favorite games, and if COD does go exclusive many will just buy an Xbox.

clarky

Gold Member

Skyrim alone has sold over 30 million copies, Elderscolls as a series close to 60 your saying all of bethesda's IP's don't come close? Behave. Can't see them leaving those Sony $$$ on the table though right?

Last edited:

iHaunter

There are ways of offering an opinion without downplaying the work of others. I don’t think COD is for me, but at the same time I recognise it isn’t shitty.
Your post came across as sour using that word.
It's no about downplaying, the company is run incompetently. The games come out half asses, half finished, underdeveloped. I'm going to downplay shit work everyday of the week. They need to be held accountable. Look at the state of BF2047?

MonarchJT

Banned
You're still not providing any link for this 70% of $3B data. It's bullshit.

In 2020 alone, Call of Duty generated $3 billion in total revenues across Warzone, mainline games, and mobile titles"

Across warzone and mobile. Show me where 70% of this revenue is on PS.
warzone made around 1b last year still there are 2b around
just check 2015 cod ..on 26m copies 15 was on PS4
and
"PlayStation sales for Call of Duty: Vanguard physical version accounted for over 70% of its total sales. Activision’s shooter primary sales figures included PS5 accounting for 41% of sales, PS4 29%, Xbox One 19%, and Xbox Series X and S 11%. That alone shows how many active players of Call of Duty use Playstation consoles for their gaming experience."

top 21 sales on PlayStation was 1° vanguard an 3 cod cold war.......at that 70% you have to add cold war sales

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

I actually feel the same. I don’t know if this will really translate to console but it’s clear that this is exactly the direction Sony is going. Let’s wait and see.

good news for me.

i dont care what happens to call of duty... but it's a large franchise for sony to lose, so they'll have fill the void.
hopefully they do something interesting.

I still don't get why people only discuss COD as if that's all Microsoft bought here. There is a massive trove of IPs, talent, licensing and distribution included in the deal from all of Activision and Blizzard but just like with the Zenimax deal everyone is focused on one single part of a much bigger picture. Call of Duty is a series I've never touched once, for whatever reason (I actually enjoy FPS games), but there are a ton of IP in this deal that I have played and would like to see more of. Once the acquisition is final and existing contracts are finished, one platform will not have access to any of them. I'm not sure if it's just the ostrich effect happening here but it certainly seems that way.

It's no about downplaying, the company is run incompetently. The games come out half asses, half finished, underdeveloped. I'm going to downplay shit work everyday of the week. They need to be held accountable. Look at the state of BF2047?

BF 2047 is Electronic Arts, not Activision Blizzard.

Ozriel

M$FT
Fortnite didn't come out until 2017. So you can say that, but the millions of bundles they have sold with Uncharted, god of war, last of us, tells a different story. COD is a big game no doubt, fortnite is even bigger, its for some a reason to have a console. But I argue up until 2017 what was Sony selling that still made PS4 out sell Xbox 2:1? I would say things like Uncharted 4, Horizon, GT Sport, MLB the show.

The COD Black Ops 3 bundle sold way More PS4 consoles than the likes of Horizon. Let's not under rate the impact of third parties on PlayStation sales. Destiny, Batman and Star Wars Battlefront sold a ton of Playstation consoles In the US.

Imagine citing GT Sport or MLB as system sellers over COD.

Leyasu

Banned

I get the feeling that this comment will not age well

Three

warzone made around 1b last year still there are 2b around
just check 2015 cod ..on 26m copies 15 was on PS4
and
"PlayStation sales for Call of Duty: Vanguard physical version accounted for over 70% of its total sales. Activision’s shooter primary sales figures included PS5 accounting for 41% of sales, PS4 29%, Xbox One 19%, and Xbox Series X and S 11%. That alone shows how many active players of Call of Duty use Playstation consoles for their gaming experience."

top 21 sales on PlayStation was 1° vanguard an 3 cod cold war.......at that 70% you have to add cold war sales
Dude why is it hard to link the so called tweaktown link. You can't be using boxed sales console comparisons in the UK. IE 70% PS, 30% xbox to then split a $3B amount of total revenue from Call of duty which includes warzone microtransactions, PC and mobile. It doesn't make any sense what you're doing.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You replace the revenue by growing your MAU. This helps them do that much faster. Exclusivity absolutely benefits MS here.

Analogy time:
If you have 2 arcades next to each other they both have Sega's Hang-on, both had it for a few years, very popular. One arcade has just bought the new Outrun game the one with all the fancy hydraulics , all the kids are coming over to your place to play and check it out. Business is booming while next door is empty. Not only do you gain from increased sales but you profit in many other ways, spend on your other games goes up, soda and snacks sales etc etc. The local weed dealer starts hanging out you get a cut off him too. Your not buying another outrun machine and sticking it in your competitors place and taking a 30% cut. makes no sense.

The value of one customer at your place is more valuable to you than a 30% cut on even 3 or 4 next door by a large margin.

Ok the numbers might be a little bigger, but you catch my drift.

To be clear, im not saying Sony is going out of business here, before I get jumped on.

I've seen way too many of these responses that are absent of facts to support them. What you are proposing is not easy at all and has not been accomplished thus far with GP. I struggled to follow your analogy, but it doesn't matter because we have real-world examples in Halo and Forza, with both titles experiencing massive drops in active users. The tasks of replacing the product revenues with MTX add-ons gets even more daunting as Microsoft adds more IPs under the umbrella; it becomes more difficult for previously released GP titles to keep users engaged when the next big title is released.

Also, I would be interested to see any data or real world example you can provide of boosts in MTX transactions directly resulting from transition of product to service/subscription pricing.

MonarchJT

Banned
Dude why is it hard to link the so called tweaktown link. You can't be using boxed sales console comparisons in the UK. IE 70% PS 30% xbox to then split a $3B amount of total revenue from Call of duty which includes warzone microtransactions, PC and mobile. It doesn't make any sense what you're doing.
from here
www.spieltimes.com/original/whats-the-future-of-cod-on-ps5-now-that-microsoft-is-acquiring-activision/

and

i told you that warzone made 1b last year...the whole did 3b.....there is still a 2b made by the single player games and warzone. Do your research and you will understand how much that Citigroup estimation is silly

Last edited:

Three

from here
www.spieltimes.com/original/whats-the-future-of-cod-on-ps5-now-that-microsoft-is-acquiring-activision/

and

i told you that warzone made 1b last year...the whole did 3b.....there is still a 2b made by the single player games and warzone. Do your research and you will understand how much that Citigroup estimation is silly
So there is no tweaktown link that says 70% of COD revenue. You misunderstood it in that link. 70% there is of a unit sale going to Activision

The other is talking about the same boxed sales split.

clarky

Gold Member
I've seen way too many of these responses that are absent of facts to support them. What you are proposing is not easy at all and has not been accomplished thus far with GP. I struggled to follow your analogy, but it doesn't matter because we have real-world examples in Halo and Forza, with both titles experiencing massive drops in active users. The tasks of replacing the product revenues with MTX add-ons gets even more daunting as Microsoft adds more IPs under the umbrella; it becomes more difficult for previously released GP titles to keep users engaged when the next big title is released.

Also, I would be interested to see any data or real world example you can provide of boosts in MTX transactions directly resulting from transition of product to service/subscription pricing.
Not sure why you are focusing on MTX.

My point is one person in the xbox eco system is vastly more valuable to MS than a 30% cut in somebody elses. I don't need evidence to back that up. Putting COD or any other franchise on Playstation does not achieve that goal.

Whether or not MS's plan works is another story, but that will be the goal. Never said it was easy.

MonarchJT

Banned
So there is no tweaktown link that says 70% of COD revenue. You misunderstood it in that link. 70% there is of a unit sale going to Activision

The other is talking about the same boxed sales split.
wtf is wrong with you...i copied the text I gave you the link. the 70% doesn't come from tweaktown i did gave you the link of that too...form tweakt you can read ..the silly estimation of Citigroup and the 3b thing.

I'll do again:
2021 playstation top sales games was 1° vanguard 3° cold war.
so your math

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Think about this for a second...

The PS4 alone sold over 100m consoles, and the XB1 may be 40-50+m.

There is not a single COD game that sold up to 70m copies, and the above is not even counting PC.

There is no universe in which 55% of all gamers play COD. You're either pulling numbers out of your ass, or just plain old misinformed.
The guy manages to out do himself every thread.

Quoting stuff he doesn't even understand or recognise as true. Is simply superb :messenger_grinning_smiling:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yeah I'm not saying COD can't be used to market consoles. It can and it has. So has Spiderman. You can't for example say though people only play Fortnite because they bought a console for COD though. Or is it the other way round? People play COD because they bought a console for Fortnite.

Yet people are doing this for Spiderman. What makes it different to other popular games on the console like Fortnite? The fact that it's exclusive?

remember COD is one of the biggest sellers every year.spiderman may of sold 20 million copies but over how many years? 2 years of sales with cod dwarf it.COD is important to selling a console and the fan base. if COD went exclusive to PS we would be having a completely different conversation

Three

wtf is wrong with you...i copied the text I gave you the link. the 70% doesn't come from tweaktown i gave you the link of that too...form tweakt you can read ..the silly estimation of Citigroup and the 3b thing
Cod warzone microtransactions and cod mobile make a great deal of the revenue. 260M is actually in the right ballpark especially if you are using that to then mean 30% is going to Sony. You were taking 70% of 3B. Its a wrong calculation and 70% stat is from nowhere.

reksveks

Dude why is it hard to link the so called tweaktown link. You can't be using boxed sales console comparisons in the UK. IE 70% PS, 30% xbox to then split a $3B amount of total revenue from Call of duty which includes warzone microtransactions, PC and mobile. It doesn't make any sense what you're doing.
The Citigroup estimates feels weird cause Activision says that 33% of their revenue aka 2.8 to 3bn (2902m using the last 12 months) annually comes from console. I am then unsure how they get to 262m from that number.

2.9*ps split*their revenue cut
2.9*0.5*0.3 = 435m

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

I am not saying COD isn't a big deal, of course it is.

Just that Sony will survive and adapt way better than people expect, as also I believe we will se a big push towards the other FPS mainstream titles.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Not sure why you are focusing on MTX.

Because you said this:
Not only do you gain from increased sales but you profit in many other ways, spend on your other games goes up, soda and snacks sales etc etc.

Isn't your example of soda and snacks equivalent to MTX purchases within the context of Game pass? Or are you literally suggesting Microsoft sell Skittles and Pepsi to GP subs?

My point is one person in the xbox eco system is vastly more valuable to MS than a 30% cut in somebody elses. I don't need evidence to back that up. Putting COD or any other franchise on Playstation does not achieve that goal.

You need evidence if you want your position to be taken seriously. We can definitively measure the value of that 30% cut in dollars. You claim that the additional sub is "vastly more valuable". What is the value of the additional Xbox GP subscriber to Microsoft and how do we measure?

A friend of mine only plays cod. He still has a Ps4 and is looking for a Ps5. He was just asking me if he should switch back to Xbox after the acquisition news.
Exact same situation here. I have five brothers and seven male cousins. Not to mention friends I made both in the industry, GameStop before that, and my early life in jobs/sports/school.

The amount of people asking if they should get an Xbox to guarantee they can play CoD going forwards was staggering to me and the deal isn't even closed. These are ages 17-40 year old males and they aren't completey unknowledgeable about gaming. The mindshare alone is crazy. Nevermind the moment the purchase goes through and there's marketing and Xbox Wire posts.

Add another $12B to Take Two because of the Zynga acquisition, and then add another at least $10bil on top of that one and the EA one which is what would be required to buy them as you have to pay above market value.

The Switch will outsell the PS4 with ease, and at this rate will probably outsell the PS5 as well, so take another 1 off that 4 of the last 5.

Also where did you get 5 from? We're only up to the PS5, and the generation isn't over so it's a bit premature to name the PS5 as the best selling console of the generation lol.

hahah..... wait I'm not allowed to laugh, I'll get banned.

You asked for the receipts, I gave you the receipts. You can question the receipts all you want, but the receipt is still there for all to see to back up my statement. If you don't believe that reporting firm, take it up with them. As for your question, it doesn't matter in relation to what I said.
I love my switch but stop bringing the Switch into threads about playstation and xbox. Switch doesn't compete against them. It sits at the kiddie table. It's only a primary console for kids. For adults adults, it's bought as a second console along with either a ps5/xbox/PC.

It's annoying to see it brought into conversations that are clearly between Sony and MS. That's only happening now because Switch is selling so well if it was only selling average you wouldn't dare bring it into the convo.

Ultraslick

Neo Member
This opinion seems so unrealistic, its like saying xbox dont have final fantasy which gives a Ripe opportunity for something to fill dat segment...

If your into FPS games Xbox is the way to go, there FPS iP demolishes sonys.
Its so one sided that anyone who says otherwise cant be taken seriously.
Respectfully disagree here.
Cod and Xbox would be on an island if the franchise went exclusive.
An island which the perpetually last place selling console (Xbox) is on.

Any new shooter ip can and should step up to the plate to take the reigns and release multi platform across all consoles. (Including the first and second best selling consoles in Sony and Nintendo).

Three

The Citigroup estimates feels weird cause Activision says that 33% of their revenue aka 2.8 to 3bn (2902m using the last 12 months) annually comes from console. I am then unsure how they get to 262m from that number.

2.9*ps split*their revenue cut
2.9*0.5*0.3 = 435m
I'm not sure where the $3B only console comes from but maybe there is data for 2021 that you have. If they take any marketing deals off it's really not far off. Certainly not billions like the people with no data were suggesting.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Microsoft would almost certainly gain way more than that back by all the people switching to Xbox and/or subscribing to Game Pass due to it becoming exclusive.
You think Microsoft is gonna gain the COD userbase of both the PS4/PS5 and more..
And make more money from it too on Gamepass...?
Cracking Up Lol GIF

ChiefDada

Gold Member
A friend of mine only plays cod. He still has a Ps4 and is looking for a Ps5. He was just asking me if he should switch back to Xbox after the acquisition news.

Exact same situation here. I have five brothers and seven male cousins. Not to mention friends I made both in the industry, GameStop before that, and my early life in jobs/sports/school.

The amount of people asking if they should get an Xbox to guarantee they can play CoD going forwards was staggering to me and the deal isn't even closed. These are ages 17-40 year old males and they aren't completey unknowledgeable about gaming. The mindshare alone is crazy. Nevermind the moment the purchase goes through and there's marketing and Xbox Wire posts.

And what were your responses, considering Microsoft has not announced anything definitive about their approach for future CoD titles?

Kagey K

Banned
And what were your responses, considering Microsoft has not announced anything definitive about their approach for future CoD titles?
If the person only cares about CoD, it's an absolute no brainer to switch to Xbox going forward.

Even if MS doesn't make it exclusive, they are going to be throwing a ton of perks at the Xbox community to entice people to switch. Stuff like early access, time map packs, double XP weekends etc etc.

You'd be foolish to stay on PS if CoD is your only game. IMHO

MonarchJT

Banned
Cod warzone microtransactions and cod mobile make a great deal of the revenue. 260M is actually in the right ballpark especially if you are using that to then mean 30% is going to Sony. You were taking 70% of 3B. Its a wrong calculation and 70% stat is from nowhere.
i Nevers said 70% of 3b
I showed you all the mainline Cod sales and I took 2015 as an example (is not the one that sold the most) sold more than 26m copies ...and more than 15 was on ps (more than 60%)

"Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 is part of the hugely successful Call of Duty franchise of video games. Of the over 15 million units of the game sold around the world on PlayStation 4"

...that excluding the 70% taken by Activision would leave Sony more than 320m ....and this from just one game ...usually we have in those chart always two cod games the current and the game of the past year....plus this clearly exclude any mtx of the games.
So you get why that estimate is basically nothing to take seriously?
Sony without the mainline would lose a gazillion of FREE (no risk) money accept it

Last edited:

Schmick

Its gonna be.... "with no doubt absolutely 100% going to be on Xbox not to mention that the games will come out day one on Gamepass".

No brainer really.

Last edited:
Along the lines of "I don't see any issue getting a PS5 as I think you'll still get access to CoD for the foreseeable future but I can see a world where future CoD's become exclusive. There's no guarantee either way."

reksveks

You think Microsoft is gonna gain the COD userbase of both the PS4/PS5 and more..
And make more money from it too on Gamepass...?
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Having them in the ecosystem is way more valuable than a sale on PS4/PS5. They wouldn't need anywhere close to 100% of COD players to switch, honestly they could probably only switch 1/3rd or less and they would still end up with more money than leaving it on Playstation. Especially considering basically every COD player on Playstation would subscribe to PS+ and instead would subscribe to Gold or Game Pass, that's way more money for Microsoft, let alone any games or microtransactions they would then buy on the Xbox ecosystem. The funny thing is all the people that think COD fans care more about Playstation than they do about COD, and they'll just "find another game". Hint, people go where the games are, and if they play COD every year they will buy the console where they can continue to do that, they won't just go "oh well, can't play COD anymore because I have to stay with Sony"

sainraja

Skyrim alone has sold over 30 million copies, Elderscolls as a series close to 60 your saying all of bethesda's IP's don't come close? Behave. Can't see them leaving those Sony $$$ on the table though right?
Skyrim is a single player game vs COD which is multiplayer focused with a single-player campaign (recurring revenue due to MTX as well). I don't think the person you are quoting is wrong to say that MS will consider keeping the series multi-platform due to that (given they have done so with MineCraft — now if the point I read about MS being required to keep it that way due to a contract during acquisition, does change that dynamic a little bit for sure.)

Sure, it's not a guarantee that they will but it doesn't completely rule it out either. Since we're all taking a stab at what we think MS will do, all options are on the table, specially because of all the vague statements made by MS (Phill Spencer) and similar actions taken by them in the past — put simply, I wouldn't rule it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom