• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you enjoy watching others play games?

Do you enjoy watching people play video games?

• Total voters
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
With the rise of streaming and content creation in recent years, and more people watching it. I thought this would be a good thought provoking discussion to get a sense of where GAF stands.

I am in the Yes category. Even before streaming and sharing gameplay became a thing, I enjoyed watching my friends play games. I was perfectly happy to sit back and just observe. I was never the type to itch or fight over the controller, and I genuinely enjoyed seeing someone progress through a game and adding unneeded commentary. :messenger_smiling_horns: I would say I started watching people play games around 2008-2009. I was big in to the Call of Duty scene at the time, and I used to watch people such as Hutch and SeaNanners. Then they moved to Machinma for a short while, and I watched a ton of those guys. I still watch Hutch to this day.

Twitch has been a huge time sink for me. I have by this point put thousands of hours in to watching streams, as I have been watching solidly since about 2013-2014. The first guy I watched who got me in to Twitch was LIRIK, who is still one of the bigger names on that site to this day. These days I watch a variety of streamers, some big and small and love spending time on there.

The reason this question is so interesting to me as I know there is a percentage of people out there that just don't get watching people play games, and likely only have ever done so if they were stuck in a game and needed help. I would love to hear the difference in opinions.

continue tv land GIF by #Impastor

TheSweeper

I voted yes but it's only for certain games and only a few times per year. For example, I was curious about TLOU2 but would never play a game like this myself so I watched Jacksepticeye's play through on YouTube. Which I found quite entertaining. Same with Little Nightmares 2.

I'd much rather play games myself. But for horror games I'm content with watching others play.

VanEs

No, I find watching other people play extremely boring, and their often vacuous personalities don’t help either. Maybe it’s a generational thing but I can’t understand how people can like platforms like Twitch or watch entire playthroughs on Youtube.

TonyK

No. It doesn't have sense to me because it removes the basic component to be a videogame: the interaction.

Watching somebody playing is like listening an audio book. It can be the same story word by word, but you are not reading.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yep. I spend way too much time with Twitch open. I mainly watch Dr Disrespect, Dan Ryckert, LobosJr, CohhCarnage, Happy_Hob, Squillakilla, Epicnamebro, Mary Wish, and of course Summit1G.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
No, I find watching other people play extremely boring, and their often vacuous personalities don’t help either. Maybe it’s a generational thing but I can’t understand how people can like platforms like Twitch or watch entire playthroughs on Youtube.
Obviously video games are a leisure activity and for enjoyment, even though ultimately some might call them a “waste of time”, which is debatable. But *watching* someone else play a video game strikes me as an egregious waste of time. It’s like watching someone else watch a movie. Just.... no.

Yes I like to watch others play games.

Sometimes I want to watch someone play something they have absolutely mastered. Not a speed run but mastery of the game being played, satisfying to watch when you can tell the player put in the time. Usually combined with a game I know I will never get to play or finish. Other times I like the personality and comments more than the game itself. Jon at MATN is a favorite for his sense of humor and general happiness playing games.

SSfox

Sometimes i watch somebody that i know he is fan of the game as much as i am, of course i watch only after i beat the actual game (i mean of course,), also i don't watch the full playthrough but i try to watch specially the key moments of the game to see how other fans reacted to some moments compare to me, and so it's mostly for reactions. And then there is speedruns, i watched a lot of Dark Souls speedruns, also watched some dark souls 2 and RE2 speedruns.

This is mostly for single player games. Sometimes i watch fighting games.

Overall i don't watch others play expect when there is some dope fighting games tournaments.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Obviously video games are a leisure activity and for enjoyment, even though ultimately some might call them a “waste of time”, which is debatable. But *watching* someone else play a video game strikes me as an egregious waste of time. It’s like watching someone else watch a movie. Just.... no.
Do you watch sports?

Also, Mystery Science Theater 3000 was my favorite show so yes, I do enjoy watching others watch movies and comment on them.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. I spend way too much time with Twitch open. I mainly watch Dr Disrespect, Dan Ryckert, LobosJr, CohhCarnage, Happy_Hob, Squillakilla, Epicnamebro, Mary Wish, and of course Summit1G.
I miss the Doc on Twitch.

Happy Ya Ya Ya GIF by CreateDrop

He's one of the only people I actually watch YouTube Live for. Credit to his personality.

Kataploom

Gold Member
People on my generation likes following e-sports and watch gameplays but I just can't for a large amount of time, only if I'm looking for some specific gameplay style example on a game I currently play (like Paladins or Smash) so I can learn and only if the video is not too long, I can't stand like... 15 or 20 gameplay because I'll want to play myself or just move on.

There's was meme of a boy finally getting gifted a PS5, then looking for gameplays on internet of the games he got so he can watch instead of playing lol

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Speedruns, although I fell off those hard after they sucked every ounce of fun from AGDQ.

Esports does nothing for me and Twitch is 99% garbage.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
No. It doesn't have sense to me because it removes the basic component to be a videogame: the interaction.

Watching somebody playing is like listening an audio book. It can be the same story word by word, but you are not reading.
It depends, really. Sure, you are not interacting with the game itself, but there is definitely a lot of interaction on Twitch.

It's basically like being in a crowd at a stadium cheering on. It can be addicting depending on if enjoy that sort of thing.

It is fun to interact with smaller streamers, as you can actually hold a decent conversation.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Do you watch sports?

Also, Mystery Science Theater 3000 was my favorite show so yes, I do enjoy watching others watch movies and comment on them.
I do not watch sports. I’m also not here to tell people how to spend their free time; if you enjoy watching others play games, all the more power to you. My conscience and busy life prevent me from enjoying it, that’s all.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
i like watching pretty girls play souls games. i love this chick.

timestamped: skip to 9:00 to see a hilarious meltdown.

hot girls, AAA games, youtube. whats not to like.

but i cant do walkthroughs. i might watch a clip or two of them going through the ending of tlou or gow, but thats about it. used to watch some warzone youtubers but its the same old shit. their content is so boring because its the same. id rather watch tv shows o or movies.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Only time is when I’m stuck watching someone play isn’t gaming. What about esports? It’s modified coop couch gaming, please...

For sure especially when it is pushing the limits of play. As with anything it's all about presentation. I won't sit and watch a stream but I love a good compilation.

For instance Dunkey is really into Super Mario Odyssey, dude has been doing the Luigi Balloon challenge and it is a lot of fun to watch.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I have zero interest in watching people play games. If I'm really stuck and have run out of patience I will check out how someone else did it but that's about it.

sublimit

Banned
Yes but not everyone obviously. It really depends on the personality and how genuine they are. I can't stand try-hards though as well as attention whores who fake their reactions. And sadly the most popular ones are like that.

It's also a no-no for games that i'm interested to play and haven't played them yet.

Last edited:
I like watching people rage their first time playing through any of the Dark Souls games. Or things like WoW or Animal Crossing. Rarely watch streams anymore though.

ShadowLag

Speedruns, although I fell off those hard after they sucked every ounce of fun from AGDQ.

Esports does nothing for me and Twitch is 99% garbage.

Yeah, it's depressing what became of the GDQs. All the entertaining runners started getting banned/cancelled, and the whole thing turned into an agenda driven corporate sponsored machine directed by Twitter brigades. I still have a folder full of gifs from 2013 SDGQ where memes and good times happened 24 hours a day, it was a magical time for sure, something only the Internet can achieve (when it lives up to its true nature of being free and open).

Last edited:

angrod14

I was able to enjoy and appreciate Silent Hill 2 by watching my older cousin play it. It was too stressful for me to play it myself, the psychological dread that game induces is just too much.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. Gotta be in the no-commentary category, though. I usually put on some gameplays in the background while working or something.
Sometimes I get in those moods as well. I'll just watch a playthrough of an older game with no commentary. It is nice. Plenty of Longplays on YouTube with that concept.

You might miss an older game, but it would be a hassle to play. I think playthroughs are perfect for that, to scratch the itch.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Generally no.

Currently Im watching my best friend and my cousin play some GTA Online together. Thats fine and fun. We have a private discord server. But I dont watch randos on Twitch and even walkthroughs I prefer text based if possible.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
FGC, dedicated mgs channel, streamers whose personalities I like playing a variety of games, art streamers.

So yes.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Yes, but it depends on many factors.

Am I interested in the game but not interested enough to play myself?

Do I like the game but want to see how someone else play?

The fail is strong and hilarious?

All of the above?

Sometimes it's kinda like white noise were you just kinda chill alongside while another person (streamer) entertains.

On a side note I always found it exciting to have others watch me play in the arcades back in the 90's.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I feel that I'm kinda over the whole thing with watching live streams. I do watch youtube summary videos from Summit1G, and some Zeus videos etc though.

If it's not something spectacular like the all time record in prize fps tournament going on right now, then no way I'm watching it. [ok Dota2 major can be awesome too]

TLZ

Banned
I never liked it, still don't, but recently I've been watching NES and SNES games I've never played or never got to finish back in the day.

There's this particular guy by the name Arcus on youtube. He's pretty calm and peaceful. Relaxing to watch. I don't like constant noise and loudness. Just shut up and play.

Top Bottom