• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you prefer developers shadow dropping games or years of hype?

Do you prefer years of hype or shadow drop releases?

• years of hype

• shadow drop releases

Results are only viewable after voting.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I like the shadow dropping of games. The longer the anticipation, the more the hype and generally the bigger let down.

Two examples Cyberpunk 2077, hyped for nearly a decade, one of the biggest disappointments of my gaming life.

Found out about Dread 4 months ago and it's one of my all time favourite games.

Aenima

1 year or less between anouncement and release date is the sweet spot for me. When im hyped about a game i usually dont see much about it cuz i like to avoid spoilers and play them as fresh as possible.

Cyberpunk was a good example of a game that when was announced the hype was super high, especially after playing Witcher 3 that i love, but as time passed and more and more content was being cut, the hype started dying.

I absolutely hate years of hype, and the risk of disappointment is very big. But I absolutely understand it since games take many years to develop now...

cireza

The length of the wait is unrelated to the quality of the final product. However what happens is that I forget about the games or don't want to play them anymore.

Recently the SMTV marketing has been super bad and repetitive, while the game was announced years ago.

Last edited:

zokie

always loving nintendo japan that shadow drop their 1st party titles, love their security too as things don't get leaked before the direct

P.S NCL leaked their own information in the latest direct

Last edited:

Tommi84

berpunk 2077, hyped for nearly a decade, one of the biggest disappointments of my gaming life.
It was a disappointment, because the game was total crap and the developers lied about a lotnof stuff. If the game was not a piece of shit, it would not be perceived as a turd.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I kind of like the shadow drops. Like Actraiser. Brings a smile to my face.

Prolonged announcements usually transform into a bunch of nerds arguing about stuff that has nothing to do with the game.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Video Games Sunglasses GIF by Nerdist.com

fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice…….

Khalborg

Neo Member
I have a feeling that hype and other announcements earlier than 3 months before the actual release are for the benefit of shareholders and not for the folks who will actually buy the game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Fallout 4 had a perfect reveal at E3 and released later the same year.

The game was meh but they nailed that initial reveal and release timing:

Yoboman

I used to enjoy the hype cycle but that was in the days where you could guarantee games would show up at E3 and other shows. Once it was revealed the updates were pretty regular after that. Days where some serious effort was put into trailers and you got some unforgettable ones like MGS2-5, Halo 3 etc.

These days its all really half assed. Debuting a game with a 30 second teaser is egregious enough. CG is even worse. But we've gotten to the point of teasers just being a logo and going dark for 12-18 months after that

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Shadow dropping for me.

I hate waiting years upon years for a game. The right amount of time for me should be 6-12 months max. Kinda like how Fallout 4 was announced and then released a few months later.

Elder Scrolls VI is the polar opposite. Why announce a game that is over five years away from release date? Pointless.

Shubh_C63

I don't mind years of hype. Not even when its related to my favorite games, I got patience for days (years?).
But shouldn't be more than 1 - 1.5 year.

Elder Scrolls VI is the polar opposite. Why announce a game that is over five years away from release date? Pointless.
ES6 announcement hurts nobody, they just double confirmed with a random wallpaper/logo.
And because it was pointless it is barely noticeable, everybody knows this was in works in some shape or form anyway.

Now if they had shown alpha gameplay and went mute for 4 years then that's problematic.

Last edited:

WilboWaggins

Neo Member
6-12 months, I don't mind. Longer isn't necessary. I know CG only trailers are generally frowned upong but I don't mind CG teaser trailers, as long as a gameplay trailer is released fairly soon after.

If there is a years long hype train for a game, I prefer it if it's a game I know I wouldn't play or enjoy, so if it does flop I can enjoy the fallout from behind my laptop.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
ES6 announcement hurts nobody, they just double confirmed with a random wallpaper/logo.
And because it was pointless it is barely noticeable, everybody knows this was in works in some shape or form anyway.

Now if they had shown alpha gameplay and went mute for 4 years then that's problematic.

It doesn't hurt, but it's just pointless.

"Hey look! Elder Scrolls VI! Get hyped to play this in 2025!!!!"

It would have been better if they just kept it under wraps until at least Starfield dropped. Announcing it so far ahead of release was pointless.

CamHostage

Heh, it's weird to me that so many people are saying, "I would rather not be kept in the dark..."

But I do get it. The build-up can be a bummer, and the disclosure schedule is all about managing hype rather than letting you into the process.

It'd be one thing if they ever told you the status of a game you were following, from "Hey, we just started our game!" to "It finally has a name" to some of the key milestones of development steps leading to the first gameplay reveal and then further disclosures of features and other exciting details, as well as hardships and interesting complications or changes... but that's not how it works. Instead, you see a game when they think you should see it, then they carefully manage their disclosure campaign to maximize pre-orders and to minimize the damage any setbacks have against the original plan. You don't feel like you have an eye on the process or any insight of what's going on with your favorite developer; instead, you just feel managed by managers.

But personally... I like the long-tail disclosure better than the Lemonade Drop.

Partly, I like seeing games in progress, and catching the difference between the first trailers, the Alphas, the release version, and the updates/patches. And in general, I like to have an idea of what's going on with different development studios (without that insight, rumormongers have run rampant in recent years.)

Also, I personally have a real fondness (oddly) for knowing about canceled projects, because even though it sucks to have a good game idea never come to market, at least I got to see something of it. (I'm still fascinated any time additional footage gets out of Project Offset or Halo Mega Bloks or Sucker Punch's Prophecy, those windows into another what-if timeline hit my heart hard.)

But also, I'm patient, so long as the developers/producers don't dick me around. Show me the concept video, then show me the gameplay or in-engine trailer (and be clear about what the footage actually is in each video step,) then show me a slice of gameplay, then show me some in-depth looks at specific features, and do it all on a smart calendar so that I'm not mad at you showing me too little or hiding the reality from me in any step of that process. Something like MGS2 was the gold standard in my book (although people did feel duped by the Snake rope-a-dope.) Something like Dragon Age 4 meanwhile feels like everything wrong with timing it wrong, where I'm not even sure if they ever did officially announce the game because even the 2018 teaser (years after rumors of the 4th game started circulating) wasn't even clear if it was teasing an actual game called Dragon Age, it was just a TV commercial for some Dread Wolf hashtag and some CGI artwork for nothing, then 3 more years of nothing and no answers what's taking so long. Do it right, and I feel the long-tail approach feels the most right to my understanding of how to market an important video game; just dropping it by surprise a month or less after announcement, that's cool, but it doesn't feel normal or proper to me.

But I'm an old man, and I like my video games done just so...

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Heh, it's weird to me that so many people are saying, "I would rather not be kept in the dark..."

But I do get it. The build-up can be a bummer, and the disclosure schedule is all about managing hype rather than letting you into the process.

It'd be one thing if they ever told you the status of a game you were following, from "Hey, we just started our game!" to "It finally has a name" to some of the key milestones of development steps leading to the first gameplay reveal and then further disclosures of features and other exciting details, as well as hardships and interesting complications or changes... but that's not how it works. Instead, you see a game when they think you should see it, then they carefully manage their disclosure campaign to maximize pre-orders and to minimize the damage any setbacks have against the original plan. You don't feel like you have an eye on the process or any insight of what's going on with your favorite developer; instead, you just feel managed by managers.

But personally... I like the long-tail disclosure better than the Lemonade Drop.

Partly, I like seeing games in progress, and catching the difference between the first trailers, the Alphas, the release version, and the updates/patches. Also, I personally have a real fondness (oddly) for knowing about canceled projects, because even though it sucks to have a good game idea never come to market, at least I got to see something of it. And in general, I like to have an idea of what's going on with different development studios (without that insight, rumormongers have run rampant in recent years.)

But also, I'm patient, so long as the developers/producers don't dick me around. Show me the concept video, then show me the gameplay or in-engine trailer (and be clear about what the footage actually is in each video step,) then show me a slice of gameplay, then show me some in-depth looks at specific features, and do it all on a smart calendar so that I'm not mad at you showing me too little or hiding the reality from me in any step of that process. Something like MGS2 was the gold standard in my book (although people did feel duped by the Snake rope-a-dope.) Something like Dragon Age 4 meanwhile feels like everything wrong with timing it wrong, where I'm not even sure if they ever did officially announce the game because even the 2018 teaser (years after rumors of the 4th game started circulating) wasn't even clear if it was teasing an actual game called Dragon Age, it was just a TV commercial for some Dread Wolf hashtag and some CGI artwork for nothing, then 3 more years of nothing and no answers what's taking so long.
This reminds me of all the downgrades we've had to endure like Dark Souls 2, Bioshock Infinite, Cyberpunk, Watch Dogs, Halo 2. Aliens Colonial Marines ect.

SCB3

I like it when its 3 months out like Fallout 4 and most Nintendo games, but a year out isn't too bad, longer than that, unless its established, I kinda forget about it until its closer

reksveks

I like dev diaries and can easily zone out of the hype cycle so not too fussed if they announce it too early. I was okay for ff7r so if I can survive that, can survive anything.

ZywyPL

Banned
Shadow drop easily. Show a proper gameplay like 3-6 months before the release. Because I'm no a fan of revealing the games years before they release, the hype just dies by that time, especially if a game gets additionally delayed.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Too much hype is bad, it's always a let down when the game is released as expectation's are too high and the games don't live up to the hype, i prefer a shadow release every time.

Arcadialane

I like a good bit of hype & built up, just make sure your game's hype matches it's quality (spoiler: it probably doesn't)

Last edited:

Ellery

Years of hype and expectations is what leads to Halo Infinite, Duke Nukem, Half Life 3, Cyberpunk 2077, Deep Down, Agent, Star Wars 1313 etc.

I understand why they can't / don't want to do shadow drops (there is a lot of money in preorders).

Perfect for me : Game is nearly finished and in the polishing phase. Game is basically 100% guaranteed to be released go gold within the next 6 months. And then they announce the game 6-9 months before release and a few months later a concrete release date with actual gameplay trailer and if it really needs to be delayed due to a few tiny things needing polish then they can still delay it for 1-2 months.

Worst : Tease it in 2013, go very long without showing anything, have suits takeover your company, let money rule you, release it on all hardware where it runs like garbage, delay it 3-4 times and then release it in a bad state after going through many iterations.

CeeJay

Middle ground. I love it when a never before seen game is shown at E3 then has a few moths of hype before releasing later that same year.

jaysius

Banned
Metroid Dread was not a “shadow drop”, stop trying to force Dread threads all around. Metroid had A hype cycle, tons of trailers leading up to release.

A shadow drop would be Silksong coming out to tomorrow.

Also another whiplash cringe for the term “shadow drop”.

Crocwrangler

Neo Member
I'd say around a year is the perfect time. I like to see my own hype slowly growing. I've always liked to wait for things. Having a game released 3 minths after its annonce ment is somewhat frustrating to me.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Im totally fine with hype, even long hype, as long as there arent delays. If you tell me today an amazing game is coming out in 2024 and you give me tons of hype along the way and then the game comes out on time, fine great.

Hooks

I'm getting too old to remain hyped for a game for 5 years, 12 months from announcement to release sounds good.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

They should probably announce the game when it hits gold.
So the game is finished and they have sent it to review to the first party.

Usually it is about 6 month out from release.

FeldMonster

I feel "shadow drops" or other short times between announcement and release are better for the publishers/developers.

• Less external stress
  • Less money spent on advertising
  • And perhaps most importantly, it makes me (and probably others) more likely to impulse buy something that is cool/new before we have a chance to truly consider if we need it.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
More than a year makes me lose respect for the developer.

The worst offender is just showing a dumb teaser like it was done it Elder Scrolls 6, when the game is probably some five years away from being released.
Oh C'mon. That was not a proper game announcement, it was acknowledgement that there would be another. It was almost the reverse of an announcement. It was basically "Yes we are working on it, so stop asking, but don't expect anything soon." It didn't stop people from asking about it, but most get that it is not coming out until well after Starfield and they also knew there was no way in hell that some effort was not being put into another ES game. There wasn't even a real title.

It's the announcements that come with a release period over a year away and show more than a title that are problematic. They create the impression that the game will be ready but it gets delayed.

I am in the camp that 6-12 months is optimal. It gives gamers something to look forward to so they can make a rough plan for what they want to dig into.

It's shit like BOTW2 that is utter crap. Nintendo releases a teaser with some story details, shows that it is running on the same engine, then gives no details for 2 years until they have just enough to show you from a game they say will be out in ~ 18 months. All of their proper Zelda games have long tease cycles but this one is the worst because it is for a sequel to a game that was purposely delayed to coincide with a new system after being teased and then shown in some detail for years.

Horizon 2 was also pretty shit. They announce it is in development and a launch window title then show it 6 months after the launch promising to release it in 5 months then delay it 3 months later for 3 months. There was no point hyping the game or the PS5, the thing is still selling out. It also appeared that the marketing assholes announced the release data over the recommendation of the team.

It's nice to have things to look forward to, but anything more than about two years from announcement to release is too long. Elder Scrolls VI is a good recent example, what was the point.

Hugare

Of course I preffer shadow drops

But I understand why companies hype games for years.

Not only to generate hype by marketing (Cyberpunk), but sometimes its needed to attract investors (Cyberpunk again), to sell consoles when you dont have a lot of big releases in sight (Microsoft) etc.

I used to enjoy the hype cycle but that was in the days where you could guarantee games would show up at E3 and other shows. Once it was revealed the updates were pretty regular after that. Days where some serious effort was put into trailers and you got some unforgettable ones like MGS2-5, Halo 3 etc.

These days its all really half assed. Debuting a game with a 30 second teaser is egregious enough. CG is even worse. But we've gotten to the point of teasers just being a logo and going dark for 12-18 months after that
Good point.
I do miss the days of e3 in the 2000s. Like the mgs trailers as you mention were great.

Top Bottom