• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Outerworlds was better than Starfield?

Better Game?

• Outerworlds

• Starfield

Results are only viewable after voting.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I consider myself an open minded and tolerant person but I quit Outerworlds when every male was either stupid or evil and every woman was a short haired warrior who could do no wrong.

My memory is fuzzy but that inventory system was just awful.

I'm still playing Starfield for what its worth but don't plan on revisiting once I'm done.

bender

What time is it?
They both were pretty mediocre IMHO.

giphy.gif

Cashon

Banned
I have tried The Outer Worlds 3 or 4 times and cannot get into it. I always stop shortly after getting to Monarch. I don't have the complaint that other have (about women; I think the people with this complaint just see life through a certain lense); it's just... Boring. I like the humor and the visual aesthetic... But the gameplay and world are just kinda boring.

I have yet to beat Starfield, but it is a much better, far more interesting game.

T4keD0wN

It had much, much better writing and arguably better soundtrack. Other than that i think starfield is way better in all the remaining aspects.

On another note, there is a 50% chance you were talking about Outer Wilds and not The Outer Worlds, right?

Last edited:

havoc00

It had much, much better writing and arguably better soundtrack. Other than that i think starfield is way better in all the remaining aspects.

On another note, there is a 50% chance you were talking about Outer Wilds, right?
no lol

Havoc2049

I played and finished both. I would give Starfield an 8.5/10 and The Outer Worlds 7.7/10. Starfield has more depth and more freedom. Starfield was a little woke in the character and writing department, but The Outer Worlds was full on capitalism and men suck. Hopefully Obsidian got all their college age agenda driven activist writing out of their system and can join the adult world in The Outer Worlds 2.

Last edited:
Currently playing through Outer Worlds for the first time (about 15 hours in) and I'd say yes so far. From a combat standpoint, the addition of slow-mo as a default power (as opposed to something you have to grind for through dozens of identical temple 'puzzles') makes a big difference in making combat fun. Starfield's combat is just bland, and melee in particular feels awful. Also, TOW has gibs! The first time I knocked someone's head off with a hammer I was like :O

From a questing standpoint, I haven't run into any bullshit and nonsensical fetch quests (yet) so that's also a point in favor of TOW.

Robb

Gold Member
Sure, I enjoyed it a lot more. Looking forward to the sequel.

I’m no WRPG nut though, I mainly enjoyed The Outer Worlds due to the humor - not any deep systems, combat etc. etc.

It was just an enjoyable ride.

Last edited:

havoc00

Sure, I enjoyed it a lot more. Looking forward to the sequel.

I’m no WRPG nut though, I mainly enjoyed The Outer Worlds due to the humor - not any deep systems, combat etc. etc.

It was just a enjoyable ride.
I loved it minus the ending I got the worst one lol

phant0m

Starfield. It’s actually a great game. With features and tech that’s outdated.
yup. i know GAF loves shitting on Starfield and while the criticisms of its engine are very valid the game does have a good world/universe, (mostly) good quest lines, the best shooting BethSoft has ever had out of the box and is far and away the most polished launch to boot. i actually can't wait to see what the mod scene does with it.

Topher

Gold Member
you'd never know from the weekly threads since launch on on how X has sold more copies than Starfield, or Starfield's steam rating has dropped, or Microsoft still can't get good games on GP, etc, etc, etc

Why are you not in the Starfield OT threads? You too havoc00 havoc00

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Currently playing through Outer Worlds for the first time (about 15 hours in) and I'd say yes so far. From a combat standpoint, the addition of slow-mo as a default power (as opposed to something you have to grind for through dozens of identical temple 'puzzles') makes a big difference in making combat fun. Starfield's combat is just bland, and melee in particular feels awful. Also, TOW has gibs! The first time I knocked someone's head off with a hammer I was like :O

From a questing standpoint, I haven't run into any bullshit and nonsensical fetch quests (yet) so that's also a point in favor of TOW.
outer worlds more fun confirmed

Hestar69

I consider myself an open minded and tolerant person but I quit Outerworlds when every male was either stupid or evil and every woman was a short haired warrior who could do no wrong.

My memory is fuzzy but that inventory system was just awful.

I'm still playing Starfield for what its worth but don't plan on revisiting once I'm done.
off topic, but playing RDR2 finally and man this games amazing. Only on chapter 2 furthest I made it was chapter 4 on xbox years ago (on pc now)

on topic, Starfields better but both have pros and cons from what I've played of them but I'll say starfields better.

Mozzarella

I played The Outer Worlds
I have yet to play Starfield

But i watched many clips of streamers playing Starfield, based on what i watched i think Starfield is better.

To be honest, its hard to be worse than The Outer Worlds, one of the most soulless, bland and boring games i have ever played, i have no clue how that game got a GOTY nomination in 2019, the journalists made a grave mistake of nominating it over games like Disco Elysium, Outer Wilds and Devil May Cry 5.

Larxia

but I quit Outerworlds when every male was either stupid or evil and every woman was a short haired warrior who could do no wrong.
This is what I was about to mention too...
I did finish the game, but it quickly becomes very obvious what they were going for, it's really not subtle at all and just feels like a parody, it's awful. This would fit right into an episode of south park like they recently did with "joining the panderverse".

Outside of that specific issue, I haven't played starfield yet so I cant say... but Outerworlds felt really... brief? It's very, very short, with very little content, it just feels lacking in general, very small experience.
As for Starfield, the biggest reason I'm not interested is the randomly generated areas, I hate that and it totally kills the immersion for me.

damidu

was funnier for sure, should be a tie for loading screens and boring ass archaic game design/play.

Last edited:

taylor34

Neo Member
Beat both, Outer Worlds is better to me. Obviously not nearly as big of scope, but the experience and story was much better overall. The only thing I didn't like about the outer worlds is that it felt like it was pushing an agenda, more than almost any other game I've played, lol. It was weird in that aspect.

Top Bottom