• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Outerworlds was better than Starfield?

Better Game?

• Outerworlds

• Starfield

Results are only viewable after voting.
Currently playing through Outer Worlds for the first time (about 15 hours in) and I'd say yes so far. From a combat standpoint, the addition of slow-mo as a default power (as opposed to something you have to grind for through dozens of identical temple 'puzzles') makes a big difference in making combat fun. Starfield's combat is just bland, and melee in particular feels awful. Also, TOW has gibs! The first time I knocked someone's head off with a hammer I was like :O

From a questing standpoint, I haven't run into any bullshit and nonsensical fetch quests (yet) so that's also a point in favor of TOW.
Ehhhh, wait until you get to the second half of the game. They obviously were running out of money, time, or both. It gets very repetitive. I played through and beat Outer Worlds, I'm also excited to see what they can do with a budget for the second one because it feels like the first game was shortchanged in a big way. I did like the humor in outer worlds way more, but it was extremely linear. Starfield may feel a little outdated but it is still huge, with a crazy amount to do, and some really amazing things to see. Outer worlds was fun for 18-20 hours, and a drag for the last 10. I've played Starfield for 250 hours and still haven't finished many of the quests or storylines and am still enjoying......

Fredrik

Very different type of games. Starfield is somewhat similar when only focusing on the main quest, but as soon as you step outside of the main path and start doing side activities it’s a different game all together, then it’s more like No Man’s Sky rather than Mass Effect which I assume is Obsidian’s inspiration for The Outer Worlds.
For me Starfield is the better game with a wide margin but I enjoyed The Outer Worlds a ton for one playthrough.

I consider myself an open minded and tolerant person but I quit Outerworlds when every male was either stupid or evil and every woman was a short haired warrior who could do no wrong.

My memory is fuzzy but that inventory system was just awful.

I'm still playing Starfield for what its worth but don't plan on revisiting once I'm done.

TMLT

Roughly the same imo. Starfield is much bigger, has decent ship building stuff and although the exploration isnt what I hoped it'd be, its still relaxing fun at times to go around exploring random planets as long as you're not expecting to find anything too dramatic. Whereas Outer Worlds had a lot more charm with a more colourful world and more humour.

killatopak

Starfield is better.

I think we’re having recency bias here. Yes, Starfield is a disappointment but so was Outerworlds. This is the same studio that made New Vegas and OW was so far removed from what NV great, it’s writing. We just forgave Obsidian because they had a happy meal budget.

Mowcno

Well I finished outerworlds but quit Starfield after a few hours so...

Maybe my opinion will change in a couple of years when I give Starfield another chance but for now I think Outerworlds was the better game.

SHA

I consider myself an open minded and tolerant person but I quit Outerworlds when every male was either stupid or evil and every woman was a short haired warrior who could do no wrong.

My memory is fuzzy but that inventory system was just awful.

I'm still playing Starfield for what its worth but don't plan on revisiting once I'm done.
I view the world the same way.

ahtlas7

Gymnastics Talent GIF

Somehow they are both balanced in mediocrity.

ungalo

Isn't that a bit of a stretch ? I really don't think TOW is worse than Starfield in that aspect.

I think TOW is better than Starfield, narrative design was really good, dialogs were great most of the time, more cohesive game overall.

StueyDuck

I think outerwilds makes them both look like the mess my dog made this morning (he had a bit of an upset stomach)

King Dazzar

It took me a while to warm to the Outer Worlds, but ended up liking it a lot. Where as Starfield pushed me away from the off due to its washed out limited HDR and lacklustre presentation at 30fps on XSX. Where as I can play Outer Worlds at 60fps, 4k with auto HDR on XSX. But I think the Outer Worlds can be greatly expanded upon, which I'm hoping happens with its sequel.

I guess another way to answer is. I still have The Outer Worlds installed, but not Starfield.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes, I found The Outer Worlds to be drastically better than Starfield. It had far far far better RPG mechanics and multiple ways to solve problems and it had far better exploration. It was NOT Fallout New Vegas in space. It was very much a step needed in the right direction for the Bethesda-type RPG. I feel Starfield is a 7/10 game and The Outer Worlds was a 7.5-8/10 type game.

TOW was decent enough, it just felt a little repetitive to me and after a while I started to feel like I was just going through the motions and didn't really care about the places I was visiting, the people I was meeting etc...

Starfield, for all the archaic design choices, the frustration, the stuff it does badly, it still has something special about it that drew me in and kept me engaged.

I don't know if I can even articulate what it was, I just know I enjoyed it immensely and was happy to explore its world and meet its characters and was never bored.

Plus, Starfield just feels like a more grounded and (somewhat) realistic approximation of what space exploration and development might look like - while TOW felt rooted in a more contrived fantasy world of clichés.

Which can be a good thing if done right, as evidenced (in my opinion) by Fallout 4.

Last edited:

mdkirby

I mean outerworlds gripped me enough to actually finish the game, and play some pretty solid sessions in it. Both are very “mid”, I’ll probably return to starfield at some point, maybe it’ll grip me more one a second attempt. Based on that tho I’m gonna give my vote to outerworlds.

Top Bottom