• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"dohhh gaming sucks now" why don't you leave then

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Man why do people always make these threads? At this point this place feels more like a place to vent at this point

"ahh gaming sucks because blah blah long dev times blah blah mtx blah blah woke"

it's crazy how yall motherfuckers are upset when we got Elden Ring last year and you're gettting Hi Fi Rush, Hogwarts, Street Fighter 6, Resi 4 Remake, Spiderman 2 and more this year. This year looks to be a return to form with how much original cool shit is coming out, as much as AAA usually sucked in the past we're getting better shit now and 2023 seems like the year that the 2020s turn around as a decade when it comes to gaming

I feel like the people who make these types of threads here aren't even here because they like video games. It's just nothing but skeptics and cynics trying to make everyone feel just as upset as they are. There are other hobbies out there if youre so disillusioned, try those out and come back at a later time.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
People are allowed to have critical opinions as long as they can explain it lol. None of these things make me feel bad. I decide how I feel.

P.S. great thread title lol.
P.P.S. "dohhh forums suck why don't you leave then" (the underlying issue in both cases is just accepting that people have different opinions.)

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Just because you like getting fucked in the ass by modern gaming *cough* suicide squad* cough*, doesn't mean everyone needs to be fine and dandy about it. Sure Japan is great as always, but that doesn't mean western AAA gaming is in a great place.
that game looks terrible but that doesnt immediately video games are dead or in ruins or some shit. its just your typical sucky AAA game no need to pay attention. Yall are getting Spiderman 2 in a couple months

manfestival

This knee jerk reaction of "why don't you stop playing" that always comes out when someone criticizes a game is far more of a braindead response. Some can be trolling but it seems like just as troll of a reaction to just throw that out there. Just my two cents since I have seen that reaction time and time again.

anthony2690

Banned
I mean he does have a point, a lot of these kneejerk opinion posts are tiresome and are essentially the same thread over and over. (I know OP's post is essentially a kneejerk reaction to these posts, but it does feel like some users straight up don't like games and just enjoy complaining or warrioring/acting concerned)

This year is probably the most excited about gaming, I've personally ever been.

Genuinely loads of games I've been enjoying this year and even more coming that I can't wait for!

& Potentially a fair few I have no idea about currently.

MiguelItUp

So, in response to that thread, you make a similar thread? Lol.

It's a forum after all, I don't think it's out of place to have folks with varying opinions wanting to discuss things. Some have optimistic views, some have pessimistic views, but I think it's all good as long as it's constructive to some degree.

For instance that thread has plenty of replies that bring up some valid points. Much like the one regarding needing an internet connection to play single player games. 🤷‍♂️
This knee jerk reaction of "why don't you stop playing" that always comes out when someone criticizes a game is far more of a braindead response. Some can be trolling but it seems like just as troll of a reaction to just throw that out there. Just my two cents since I have seen that reaction time and time again.
Couldn't agree more.

Honestly OP, if you see repeat offenders and they irk you that much, just hide/mute them. Because opinions like the ones you are describing aren't going to disappear, I feel.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
dohhhhh gaming sucks now

aZJ6sCG.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I mean he does have a point, a lot of these kneejerk opinion posts are tiresome and are essentially the same thread over and over. (I know OP's post is essentially a kneejerk reaction to these posts, but it does feel like some users straight up don't like games and just enjoy complaining or warrioring/acting concerned)

This year is probably the most excited about gaming, I've personally ever been.

Genuinely loads of games I've been enjoying this year and even more coming that I can't wait for!

& Potentially a fair few I have no idea about currently.
It is a fine line I suppose. As long as I think someone is genuine about it, I like reading it. If I feel like someone is just a troll with ulterior motives for what they post, it can get very annoying and make conversation next to impossible.

anthony2690

Banned
It is a fine line I suppose. As long as I think someone is genuine about it, I like reading it. If I feel like someone is just a troll with ulterior motives for what they post, it can get very annoying and make conversation next to impossible.
I think you're right, I do think if they were condensed to one thread, it wouldn't be as bad, as a lot of these posts feel like they could've just been comments in an already existing threads :)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
My dude, nothing wrong with that thread. It's fine to be critical about the things you love, and he had a point.

If people were only able to post positive stuff there would be no discussion, just circle jerking.

lachesis

Actually I do, occasionally leave gaming - and also pretty much anything that I enjoy in life.

Really depends on if I "feel" like playing it. I've been having some ups and downs (more so than usual) in my daily life with bunch of stuff... so all of the things, including gaming has been taking a back seat.
I am mildly having fun playing Hi Fi Rush - and if I was in a jolly mood and could concentrate solely on those games... I would enjoy more.

So yeah. Gaming sucks if I'm not in the mood for playing them - no matter how good they are. It's not like it's a job for me - it's just a hobby that I really enjoy. And unfortunately those don't fix my real life issues in many cases - only provide mental escape for a little bit. Not the optimal way to enjoy a great game in turbulent times.

ungalo

Everything gets redundant after a while, it's not the most uninteresting topic to talk about, far from it i'd say.

I don't get why that bothers some people, just defend your point of view or ignore the whole thing.

cireza

Hi-Fi Rush was certainly unexpected and Hogwarts looks awesome for Harry Potter fans. Others AAA will most likely be your standard "no risk" games and sequels. I am not seeing much of a change here in 2023. But this is fine, times have changed and not every time period has to be perfect for me, I had my time of limitless enjoyment 20 years ago and it was glorious.

However, I don't see why people who are having more difficult times enjoying modern games should leave. If anything, they should stay and get help from others to find these original hidden gems that could provide them some novelty.

Catphish

OP sounds young.

Take it from someone who's been around since Pong:

Gaming sucks now.

Sure, it's all bigger, louder, a hell of a lot prettier, but it's also the most predatory, cynical, and political that it's ever been. And it fucking sucks.

I don't leave, and I continue to game, because there is no comparative hobby. Only gaming is like gaming. And in spite of itself, I can find my fun in it.

But I have to swallow, or turn a blind eye to, a whole lot of bullshit that never used to exist.

And anyway, this is a forum. Discussion, even bitching, is kind of the point. As much as I dislike your post, for example, I wouldn't bother telling you to not make it.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
After yesterday's Sony Direct, I realized I'm no longer the industry's target audience. I had a feeling that was the case for a while. But every so often I get a crumb for something for me. Which is why I stick around.

Plus there are plenty of old games to talk about.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
When your diet is going from new AAA game to new AAA game you’re going to starve, and think the industry is awful.

The complaining will only get worse as development costs keep rising, and even safe sequels give way to more remakes/remasters.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
When you love someone, then you also feel disappointed if they repeatedly fail to reach their potential + do worse than what they are capable of.

It’s the same with video games or any other hobby. It’s okay and healthy to be critical as long as you don’t take it too far.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If you like hearing opinions on a forum, why don't you leave op?
its the same opinion over again though, AAA games suck because of this this and this. we get a 'gaming is dead/sucks/awful' thread every other month. it's confusing when we're currently gonna be getting one of the best years in a while

it's crazy how yall motherfuckers are upset when we got Elden Ring last year and you're gettting Hi Fi Rush, Hogwarts, Street Fighter 6, Resi 4 Remake, Spiderman 2 and more this year. This year looks to be a return to form with how much original cool shit is coming out, as much as AAA usually sucked in the past we're getting better shit now and 2023 seems like the year that the 2020s turn around as a decade when it comes to gaming

I feel like the people who make these types of threads here aren't even here because they like video games. It's just nothing but skeptics and cynics trying to make everyone feel just as upset as they are. There are other hobbies out there if youre so disillusioned, try those out and come back at a later time.
yikes!...

is this another one of them goddamn 'i'm gonna bitch'n'moan about all this goddamn bitchin'n'moanin' threads?...

Last edited:
its the same opinion over again though, AAA games suck because of this this and this. we get a 'gaming is dead/sucks/awful' thread every other month. it's confusing when we're currently gonna be getting one of the best years in a while
Absolutely subjective and define 'a while'. I haven't had a good year in gaming for decades. Sure, there are the odd bits of fun to look forward to this year with VR2 and BG3, outside of that? mostly endless trash.

The industry hasn't experimented or pushed the boundaries since it swapped from 'an art form' to a soulless, corporate led money-grabbing machine.

Are you old enough to remember the discussion on whether or not gaming was art? It must be 15 years since I've heard that subject discussed. It's no coincidence why.

Trilobit

I sometimes lurk on Reddit's PatientGamers sub to see people's opinions on older games. The most frustrating thing to read on a "patient" sub is about people who constantly pop up and whine about not having time to play as they are now adults and have children and demanding jobs. Or don't feel like playing and thinking that's because they are now getting old.

I wonder how many people create threads and whine about their adult lives on camping forums. "Oh I don't have time like you guys, I'm so busy". I mean, then do something else with your life if you don't have time for it or don't enjoy it.

End of rant. I just don't get some people who feel like they are forced to enjoy a hobby. I have phases when I don't listen to much music or watch movies, so I do something different until I feel like jumping in again.

I skipped the PS3 and PS4 era as they didn't offer me enough to buy a console. But now with the PS5 there's a big enough library of remakes and backwards compatible games that I felt like buying it. Sometimes you need to let parts of a hobby rest until they are worth pursuing again.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
People are allowed to have critical opinions as long as they can explain it lol. None of these things make me feel bad. I decide how I feel.

P.S. great thread title lol.
P.P.S. "dohhh forums suck why don't you leave then" (the underlying issue in both cases is just accepting that people have different opinions.)

A lot of these threads would actually be interesting if they weren't in "hot take" mode, which means lots of hyperbole ("Zomg, games take 30 years to make now!"), vague details on the scope of the problem and zero points for discussion. Should people be disuaded from posting what they think is a good topic - of course not. Just would be nice if people posted more than lazily put together "quick takes" that are mostly just kneejerk responses.

A lot of these threads would actually be interesting if they weren't in "hot take" mode, which means lots of hyperbole ("Zomg, games take 30 years to make now!"), vague details on the scope of the problem and zero points for discussion. Should people be disuaded from posting what they think is a good topic - of course not. Just would be nice if people posted more than lazily put together "quick takes" that are mostly just kneejerk responses.
30 years is hyperbole. What isn't is that it has been over 10 years since GTA V and TES 5.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Are you old enough to remember the discussion on whether or not gaming was art? It must be 15 years since I've heard that subject discussed. It's no coincidence why.
because people by and large now consider gaming art and the stigma that it's for children or manchildren has long since faded. everybody plays video games now

TexMex

I miss the old days as much as anyone. I’m first in line to buy repacked nostalgia.

But it’s dumb, yes. We get so many good games at such a quick clip. I love my current hardware, my options, how insanely cheap some stuff is. My backlog is better than ever.

What people really miss is being young again.

theHFIC

Plenty of great games coming out and plenty of games I wouldn't touch. It's how it's always been. Just a lot of "gamers" who feel threatened because their whole personality was based on videogames and now the point of entry in gaming is getting lower, the variety of games and people who play them is getting greater, and the expectations for the next big thing keep getting higher. And when the expectations don't match reality, the salt filled waterworks start.

belmarduk

Those threads always remind me of that one YouTuber whose fat, English and transgender. I read them aloud in that persons voice.

Games are great and if you feel the need to complain about everything about them then it’s a ‘you’ problem.

Neilg

Gaming is the best it's ever been and i've been playing since the SNES.
I've got a backlog that would take me until this time next year to get through exclusively made up of shit i'm really excited to play that i know i'm either going to enjoy at worst or love at best. And that's not including any upcoming releases.

A lot of people just sound depressed and bored when they complain about how bad games are these days. What so many people remember about old games isnt that they were good, it's that they were happy and carefree while playing them. They need to get a new job, do some exercise, read a book, take some time off playing games.
I dont think forums where people constantly say wildly unrealistic shit about what a game could be is particularly conducive to enjoying games on the level they're presented either. Constantly looking for flaws and imagining the perfect game which nobody else would choose to make in the exact configuration, let alone a staff of 500 for 5 years is just like, why would you do that? there's no other hobby or sport where people spend as much time getting frustrated about things that don't exist. can you imagine a bunch of golfers rather than playing, spending more time talking about why there arent little jet boosters in their drivers and getting really pissed off nobody has made it yet?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Those threads always remind me of that one YouTuber whose fat, English and transgender. I read them aloud in that persons voice.

Games are great and if you feel the need to complain about everything about them then it’s a ‘you’ problem.
jim sterling ?

anthraticus

Banned
I sometimes lurk on Reddit's PatientGamers sub to see people's opinions on older games. The most frustrating thing to read on a "patient" sub is about people who constantly pop up and whine about not having time to play as they are now adults and have children and demanding jobs. Or don't feel like playing and thinking that's because they are now getting old.

That place sucks nuts. Mostly popamolers /younger kids talking about games from just a few years ago, like the PS3 era. (to them it was a long time)

Top Bottom