• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"dohhh gaming sucks now" why don't you leave then

I'm 47 years old and I've been gaming since the Odyssey 2. I think gaming is better or at least as good as its ever been. Some people are just miserable pieces of shit who are never satisfied.

rgVWzJY.png

I think you might have hit the senile levels a bit sooner.

OZ9000

Banned
Man why do people always make these threads? At this point this place feels more like a place to vent at this point

"ahh gaming sucks because blah blah long dev times blah blah mtx blah blah woke"

it's crazy how yall motherfuckers are upset when we got Elden Ring last year and you're gettting Hi Fi Rush, Hogwarts, Street Fighter 6, Resi 4 Remake, Spiderman 2 and more this year. This year looks to be a return to form with how much original cool shit is coming out, as much as AAA usually sucked in the past we're getting better shit now and 2023 seems like the year that the 2020s turn around as a decade when it comes to gaming

I feel like the people who make these types of threads here aren't even here because they like video games. It's just nothing but skeptics and cynics trying to make everyone feel just as upset as they are. There are other hobbies out there if youre so disillusioned, try those out and come back at a later time.
A lot of games do suck however. I would rather replay old games than try new garbage experiences.

I am now very selective.

I'm looking forward to TLOU Part 1 and RE4. I think both will be great.

Mobilemofo

I came from bedroom programming, so i think current gaming is both a absolute pleasure, and the worst of it at the same time, for all the reasons we've had over the last few decades.

Tbh not a fan of threads like this.

Someone whose passion is gaming has every right to complain about the quality of games. What kind of childlike take is "if you dont like it leave", seriously only a very young mind could take a statement like that seriously.

Marvel films are dogshit and take up the majority of attention around cinema. Should I stop watching ALL films because cinema as a whole is degrading?

For every standout game we get there are 10 others that are broken, uninspired or just out right slot machines disguised as games.

Yeah I think complaints are warranted. When D3 was on the way I was hyped, D4 is on the way and all I can think is that its going to be broken and stuffed full of mtx. And that's down to blizzard, not my own personal pessimism. Gaming has changed in a big way, just coz we still get incredible games it's not like the industry is in a healthy place at all.

KXVXII9X

After yesterday's Sony Direct, I realized I'm no longer the industry's target audience. I had a feeling that was the case for a while. But every so often I get a crumb for something for me. Which is why I stick around.

Plus there are plenty of old games to talk about.
I think realizing I'm no longer the target audience makes a lot of sense why I'm not as interested in gaming like I used to. Same with things like anime. But when there is something geared towards me, I quickly notice. At least for me, my taste are more defined as I get older and the reasons I gamed aren't the reason newer generations seem to game.

AddictedProxy

Neo Member
I agree. If you are not happy with a game/series dont play it. If you you are not happy with the whole industry just leave an get a new hobby.

The whining is just annoying.

wolffy71

Banned
"Leave"? That implies we are here.

Where is here? There's no magical land of video games where one goes. You like games, you don't like games at times. It's ok to be either

peronmls

Nothing wrong with being openly critical of things like Suicide Squad - which features the kind of poisonous greed that will kill everyone's enjoyment of gaming, if not pushed back against.

Important to also praise games which give gamers value for money and a quality product like Hogwart's Legacy.
UE4 does all the work now and days. not developers. UE4 has everything to make a game “look” good you don’t even need experience. Engines and passion work was everywhere back in the day. Now it’s free engines with little work because you can patch it later kind of era. and “don’t you have phones” era because nobody wants to make good games anymore.

recma12

I agree. If you are not happy with a game/series dont play it. If you you are not happy with the whole industry just leave an get a new hobby.

The whining is just annoying.

Think gaming has gotten way too big to make these statements anyways.
You can be into esports, mobile, retro, consoles, pc, indies, AA, AAA, GaaS, visual novels or any other direction we have today.

I’ve been gaming since the 90s and don’t remember it ever being this good, diverse and cheap.

AddictedProxy

Neo Member
Think gaming has gotten way too big to make these statements anyways.
You can be into esports, mobile, retro, consoles, pc, indies, AA, AAA, GaaS, visual novels or any other direction we have today.

I’ve been gaming since the 90s and don’t remember it ever being this good, diverse and cheap.
Which is why the whining is so annoying. Gaming is big enough to have something for everyone.

I simpy ignore the stuff which is not for me and dont go aroung demanding the industry to bend to my will or preferences.

NeoGiffer

Man why do people always make these threads? At this point this place feels more like a place to vent at this point

"ahh gaming sucks because blah blah long dev times blah blah mtx blah blah woke"

it's crazy how yall motherfuckers are upset when we got Elden Ring last year and you're gettting Hi Fi Rush, Hogwarts, Street Fighter 6, Resi 4 Remake, Spiderman 2 and more this year. This year looks to be a return to form with how much original cool shit is coming out, as much as AAA usually sucked in the past we're getting better shit now and 2023 seems like the year that the 2020s turn around as a decade when it comes to gaming

I feel like the people who make these types of threads here aren't even here because they like video games. It's just nothing but skeptics and cynics trying to make everyone feel just as upset as they are. There are other hobbies out there if youre so disillusioned, try those out and come back at a later time.

inbetweeners-ooo.gif

inbetweeners-ooo.gif
inbetweeners-ooo.gif
inbetweeners-ooo.gif
inbetweeners-ooo.gif
inbetweeners-ooo.gif
inbetweeners-ooo.gif
inbetweeners-ooo.gif
inbetweeners-ooo.gif
inbetweeners-ooo.gif

sachos

I thinks its easy to feel bad about the state of gaming when we have so much GaaS shit both shutting down and still beeing released at the same time, online only single player bullshit, etc.
But when i feel like all games suck i remember to go to OpenCritic and filter games by year and its easy to see that there are good single player games every year, and i've noticed that indies are starting to level up in the last couple of years.
If anyone still feels bad about the current shit practices then i recommend emulation and Top 10 Hidden Gems videos for your favourite old school consoles, there is a lot of stuff to discover.

ByWatterson

100%.

Gaming is almost objectively better than ever. All the dumb shit we have to tolerate is IN ADDITION to all the great stuff that we had before, plus indies that we didn't have in previous eras, production values that embarrass previous eras, genres that didn't previously exist, and a thousand different communities and places we can all find to express ourselves.

"But errrrmagerrghhjd battle pass!"

Least based, least chad take ever.

ByWatterson

That said, I recognize that gaming does indeed suck now compared to years past. Look at Bethesda's arc, from Fallout 3 to 76. Things getting better there? How about Rocksteady, from the Arkham trilogy to Suicide Squad. Amazing improvement? BF 2024 better than 3 or 4? Halo gotten better over the years? Gears of War better now? Etc, etc, etc, etc...

Now do FromSoft, Sucker Punch, Capcom, Naughty Dog, Respawn, Hazelight, Nintendo, or Santa Monica.

Or Finji, Hello Games, Team Cherry, or Supergiant.

Last edited:

makaveli60

I'm gonna be straight up blunt with you. I doubt any AAA producers or game dev personalities would listen to what a bunch of folks on GAF have to say, unfortunately.

They already get a constant stream of user data from players around the world to draw their own analysis and conclusions from.
I don’t think that’s the whole picture. I mean, yes, user data is the main source but that doesn’t tell them exactly what is liked and what is not liked abput the game. Like when people say ”vote with your wallet”. Okay, you don’t buy it, but how will they know the exact reason you didn’t buy it? If some developers check these forums they might still influence higher up decisions based on what we write here. Just check out the woke bullshit. It’s vocalized everywhere by a very loud minority, and they get what they want from the producers. Though this is an egg and chicken question actually, but let’s leave it here.

as1m

Banned
Yh most of the folks complaining are the same folks who rather than play games, would spend days on Twitter spaces and write volumes of Merger & Acquisition theory on Twitter.

Japanese publishers and indie studio from around the world is where its at. The big Western publishers are pretty much dead to gamers like us. They are mainly focused on live service now and that shit isn't catered for us. It's for the new generations of youth.

CGNoire

"I dont want to ever encounter any negativity about the thing I like and spend money on."
-GAF posters make complaint threads about the gaming industry at least once or more every few weeks.

-OP 64bitmodels 64bitmodels makes the one thread pointing out the fact that people are constantly being cynical.

-The ratio of complaint threads to this thread would technically be almost 50:1 or up to 100:1 since last year.

-GAF posters instead decide to dislike OP's thread and trash it.

A lot of you are literally proving 64bitmodels 64bitmodels right.

4a4.gif
Wtf?

Proving what point?
That we complain alot.... its true we do. No ones arguing that.

That we should leave? FOH with that shit.

Last edited:

CGNoire

This thread is such a transparent ...
..." dont keep interfering with my hype for console/game/generation/dev/company I like"
Thread.

The fact that op doesnt have the self disipline to just ignore threads like this and would rather demand others change what they care about....rich.

Wtf?

Proving what point?
That we complain alot.... its true we do. No ones arguing that.
Yes.

That we should leave? FOH with that shit.
No.

I agree with OP's point that there's too much negativity, but I don't agree that everyone who is negative should leave. Both can be true and OP can make a good point and bad point at the same time.

The point of a forum is engaging discourse, and it's no fun if everyone who's not with the 'correct' opinion is banned or leaves because then it becomes an echo chamber. At the same time, it's ALSO no fun if everyone is constantly on the same page of shitting on everything, because that is ironically a path to an echo chamber as well. We all have real life issues going on but GAF shouldn't be treated as a personal therapist couch or a pillow to scream into. It's about the enthusiasm of gaming, both bad AND good. The unfortunate problem is that a lot of people, whether they like to admit it or not, log onto this site with all their problems built up on their shoulders and lash out. It ends up being a stack of negatives.

There should to be a point where we reach a better balance to things if we want to be seen as better than two other websites I can think of. OP pointing out the level of negativity should be seen as more of an internal wake up call rather than a combat challenge to shit on him. He worded the message somewhat wrong, but the bigger message should be understood for all to see and all it takes is an extra minute to really take what he's saying critically instead of combatively.

Last edited:

Killer8

Gaming as a whole is fine. There is more variety than ever and I buy just as many releases as years prior. What people need to realize though is that the old guard developers are not the same groups of people from 20 years ago, and most of their bellwether franchises are either dead or in rapid decline. People can pack it up and call it quits because of that, and that's okay. But there is a lot of new blood and ideas out there that are still deserving of people's time if they would be willing to broaden their horizons somewhat.

CGNoire

Yes.

No.

I agree with OP's point that there's too much negativity, but I don't agree that everyone who is negative should leave. Both can be true and OP can make a good point and bad point at the same time.

The point of a forum is engaging discourse, and it's no fun if everyone who's not with the 'correct' opinion is banned or leaves because then it becomes an echo chamber. At the same time, it's ALSO no fun if everyone is constantly on the same page of shitting on everything, because that is ironically a path to an echo chamber as well. We all have real life issues going on but GAF shouldn't be treated as a personal therapist couch or a pillow to scream into. It's about the enthusiasm of gaming, both bad AND good. The unfortunate problem is that a lot of people, whether they like to admit it or not, log onto this site with all their problems built up on their shoulders and lash out. It ends up being a stack of negatives.

There should to be a point where we reach a better balance to things if we want to be seen as better than two other websites I can think of. OP pointing out the level of negativity should be seen as more of an internal wake up call rather than a combat challenge to shit on him. He worded the message somewhat wrong, but the bigger message should be understood for all to see and all it takes is an extra minute to really take what he's saying critically instead of combatively.
I appreciate the well written reply thank you.
I disagree.

I think people are just fed the fuck up with the constant lying bye marketing departments in the gaming sphere. They can only take so much BS. Its all about catharsis. The companies get treated with kids gloves bye journalists (who are often contibuting to spreading hype and Marketing Buzzwords for them in exchange for access) and constantly hyped up by fans. Forums like this are maybe the only place online to find fellow gamers who recognize whats going wrong and wont gaslight you for mentioning it.

I personaly blame complicate gamers just as much if not more than companies for this dire situation. Pretty soon its gonna be just a no console/allways online SP/GASS everything/gambling addition based/ dopimine delivery system.

Quite frankly I think we have already passed the point of no return. Majority of gamers have decided they dont give a shit. They dont care about ownership, they dont care about being fleeced, they dont care about anything other than there next fix. More and more I dont see the difference between Hype abcesed gamers and heroin addicted addicts.

$500+ and $10 per game fee for PS4 games @1440p 60fps is a shit deal in 2023 anyway you cut it.

Humdinger

There is a plethora of Youtube videos on "why modern gaming sucks," so it's not just here. I imagine you'll find the same theme on other big gaming forums, too. So, the complaints have merit.

Granted, complaining on a gaming forum won't accomplish much (it won't change the industry), but people like to complain. *shrug*

Laptop1991

People are allowed to complain, whether they are wrong or right or just an opinion, if no one ever complained, nothing would ever change and there wouldn't be many topics on here or anywhere else lol.

Top Bottom