• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"dohhh gaming sucks now" why don't you leave then

GHound

You first nerd.
smug american psycho GIF

What kind of dumb shit is this?

We are entitled to our opinions dude.

You're probably part or the problem, one of those drones that bends knee and accept every single shit game companies come up with.

Probably also plays gatcha games and other mobile trash and buys lots of p2w shit. Yes keep doing that loser.

Last edited:

Hurahn7

Banned
I kind of like hearing people make threads like this if they can explain. For most, I honestly believe many play too many gotdamn games. Take a break and go do something else. My perspective is a little different. I joined the military after a year of college and while I still bought most of the systems, I haven't beaten as many games as most of you have. Between concentrating on my career, partying and other shit I didn't have time. My backlog is ridiculous and routinely pick up games with saves from when I was in the service. LOL I totally understand how some feel gaming sucks because of whatever current game development trends are going on, but at the same time I guess I'm not as burned out yet. I also think a lot of people fail to realize that some these companies are old as fuck. Many of the people/groups who made your favorite games are gone. The youngins are developing games now with a few of the legends overseeing every thing. Sorry for the wall text. I'm drinking a beer watching AEW. LOL

geary

Why is anyone getting "fucked in the ass"? If a particular game isn't what you want, don't buy it.

There are plenty of games I've been more than happy with my purchase recently. Don't play what you deem to be a bad deal. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
Because for aome people only sony games or popular AAA brands with shiny graphics exist in the industry. Everything else are not games…So if you only have 2-3 games per year on your radar, your gaming hobby will feel empty. The mentality of the couch holiday gamer.

samoilaaa

People are allowed to have critical opinions as long as they can explain it lol. None of these things make me feel bad. I decide how I feel.

P.S. great thread title lol.
P.P.S. "dohhh forums suck why don't you leave then" (the underlying issue in both cases is just accepting that people have different opinions.)
look i understand what you are saying , but when you say gaming ( as in all games recently released ) then it might be a time to find a new hobby because lets be honest , in the last 2-3 years there were great games from every genre , i highly doubt it that if you like gaming you couldnt find anything to play in the last 2-3 years

Ori and the will of the wisp
Doom eternal
Half life alyx
Ghost of tsushima ( i dont like it but people do )
yakuza like a dragon ( i dont like it but people do )
Desperados 3
Creaks
cyberpunk 2077
wasteland 3
pathfinder wrath of the righteous
nioh 2
resident evil 8
ratchet and clank rift apart
hitman 3
elden ring
god of war

and many more , if you tell me that as a gamer you dont anything from the above list , i dont believe you

Skifi28

Dunno, I'm having more fun than ever before. Tons of games, cheap, "free" with subscriptions, discovering new genres (and genders). Living the best gaming life really. My only complaint is I don't have the free time I used to.

Edmund

Gaming's never been better imho. We can choose to focus on what we enjoy and ignore what we don't, but some choose to focus on the negatives and behave like Resetera where it's just constant waves of negativity and whining.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Agreed. There is too much concerns everywhere. Things change. And will keep on changing no matter if you whine or not. Some things get better, some things get worse. It’ll be alright and if your body isn’t breaking down you’ll keep on gaming just fine many years from now.
This is where I started 40 years ago:

Ow46gEv.jpg

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Agreed. There is too much concerns everywhere. Things change. And will keep on changing no matter if you whine or not. Some things get better, some things get worse. It’ll be alright and if your body isn’t breaking down you’ll keep on gaming just fine many years from now.
This is where I started 40 years ago:

Ow46gEv.jpg

I had this one and Green House. Nostalgia.

Man why do people always make these threads? At this point this place feels more like a place to vent at this point

"ahh gaming sucks because blah blah long dev times blah blah mtx blah blah woke"

it's crazy how yall motherfuckers are upset when we got Elden Ring last year and you're gettting Hi Fi Rush, Hogwarts, Street Fighter 6, Resi 4 Remake, Spiderman 2 and more this year. This year looks to be a return to form with how much original cool shit is coming out, as much as AAA usually sucked in the past we're getting better shit now and 2023 seems like the year that the 2020s turn around as a decade when it comes to gaming

I feel like the people who make these types of threads here aren't even here because they like video games. It's just nothing but skeptics and cynics trying to make everyone feel just as upset as they are. There are other hobbies out there if youre so disillusioned, try those out and come back at a later time.
Perhaps you've never noticed, but whining and complaining on anonymous internet forums has solved most of the world's problems so far, so there's no reason to think it won't also work for gaming.

I don't know which fandom is worse, anime fans or gaming fans.
What have anime fans been complaining about lately? The only things I can think of are Netflix and the overload of Isekai. Otherwise, they've been experiencing hit show after hit show in almost all other genres.

Rhazkul

People are allowed to have critical opinions...

Sure. But complaining about the games industry and how bad games are - without ANY nuance - isn't a critical opinion. It's whining, and a negative circle jerk for cynics. Yes, battle passes suck, yes FOMO sucks, and always online and looter shooter No. 1242 suck too. But there's plenty of good stuff available. If all you ever play is AAA crap, yeah, you will get jaded eventually, so expand your horizon and branch out. Modern gaming offers so many options - it's up to the individual to make it a pleasant or horrible experience.

but that doesn't mean western AAA gaming is in a great place.

Leave the AAA titles behind. Gaming has more to offer than just AAA games....AA, indie games, emulation, handhelds...tons of alternatives.
Tangential but most major budget Hollywood movies suck. The smaller, unhyped movies...those are the real gems. Same with games imo.

Last edited:
Those who cry do it because they hope that the producers of these games will see it and change for the better, I guess. At least that’s my reason.
I'm gonna be straight up blunt with you. I doubt any AAA producers or game dev personalities would listen to what a bunch of folks on GAF have to say, unfortunately.

They already get a constant stream of user data from players around the world to draw their own analysis and conclusions from.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Man why do people always make these threads? At this point this place feels more like a place to vent at this point

"ahh gaming sucks because blah blah long dev times blah blah mtx blah blah woke"

it's crazy how yall motherfuckers are upset when we got Elden Ring last year and you're gettting Hi Fi Rush, Hogwarts, Street Fighter 6, Resi 4 Remake, Spiderman 2 and more this year. This year looks to be a return to form with how much original cool shit is coming out, as much as AAA usually sucked in the past we're getting better shit now and 2023 seems like the year that the 2020s turn around as a decade when it comes to gaming

I feel like the people who make these types of threads here aren't even here because they like video games. It's just nothing but skeptics and cynics trying to make everyone feel just as upset as they are. There are other hobbies out there if youre so disillusioned, try those out and come back at a later time.
At this point and at all previous and future points people like to :

A. Bitch and moan
B. Attract attention
C. Shit on things other people like

All without a shred of evidence. Because for them their view - or worse their feelings- is the only evidence they'll ever need. Twas ever thus and forever it shall be.

Best remedy is to recognise, categorise and move past.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Dont like it dont buy it

Dont like it dont watch it

Dont like it dont play it

Im sick of these fucking dumbass comments, vapid discussion killer. If you cant criticize something, then fuck off

Yoboman

The reality is the types of games a lot of us enjoy on this forum are under threat. Usually single player, sometimes multiplayer without exploitative practices

We can still have massive, record shattering successes like Elden Ring getting dwarfed in revenue by something like Genshin Impact. Reliable developers like Bioware, Valve and Rocksteady are gone for the GAAS money train.

They will keep falling off. Games get more expensive, 15-20 million in sales is the new 5 million, and the publishers will become more and more oriented towards the most potential for profit

Sony who resisted the GAAS temptation for a gen are now going all in. Microsoft have been all in for a long time and Gamepass is absolutely a vehicle to get people access to other forms of monetisation. How long until Nintendo are on the gravy train?

So yeah I'm concerned in 15 years there will basically be no games that appeal to me

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That said, I recognize that gaming does indeed suck now compared to years past. Look at Bethesda's arc, from Fallout 3 to 76. Things getting better there? How about Rocksteady, from the Arkham trilogy to Suicide Squad. Amazing improvement? BF 2024 better than 3 or 4? Halo gotten better over the years? Gears of War better now? Etc, etc, etc, etc...

Just because some don't like the current spate of most aaa games, doesn't mean we hate all games, just the ones you like, apparently.
gaming is much more than just gears of war fallout and halo, if you can't realize that you aren't actually a gamer. if you focus just on AAA you're gonna have a bad time (though even then there are many interesting and actually good AAA publishers like Bandai Namco, Capcom, Sega, Valve and Sony) but i'm not even asking for you to look at Indie just take a moment to browse the fucking steam store for once instead of waiting for the next big release to be spoonfed to you

Lately Neogaf is on "I hate everything" mode.

Gaming industry goes shit
Volcano High sucks
Suicide Squad nobody like it
No one wants single player mode
Rocksteady wasted
Next gen is disappointing
etc...

I think we should focus on games we like instead of complaining on games we won't buy anyway.
fox tv GIF by MasterChef Junior

the issue is that outside of VGEsoterica VGEsoterica positive threads on GAF detailing a game, series etc you loved are a fucking rarity, LTTP threads aren't even made that much in comparison to all the complaining threads. It's always gaming sucked but never here's this game i really liked. THAT's what i mean. Most of the people complaining here have never made like any thread talking about a game they deeply enjoyed.

Ratio of negativity to positivity here is 10:1 and that needs to change

phant0m

Just because you like getting fucked in the ass by modern gaming *cough* suicide squad* cough*, doesn't mean everyone needs to be fine and dandy about it. Sure Japan is great as always, but that doesn't mean western AAA gaming is in a great place.
ah yes, suicide squad, the only notable game coming out this year

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
64bitmodels 64bitmodels I love LTTP threads, but the sad reality is that those get buried almost instantly because of all the threads about gamepass, jimbo, sales, bunisess shit and whatever. Then a new game releases like GoW or Hogwarts and you get 5 threads about those.

There's just no space for anything else, and I'd love if gaf would split the gaming board in two: business stuff and actual gaming stuff.

Last edited:

Humdinger

the issue is that outside of VGEsoterica VGEsoterica positive threads on GAF detailing a game, series etc you loved are a fucking rarity, LTTP threads aren't even made that much in comparison to all the complaining threads. It's always gaming sucked but never here's this game i really liked. THAT's what i mean. Most of the people complaining here have never made like any thread talking about a game they deeply enjoyed.

Ratio of negativity to positivity here is 10:1 and that needs to change

Yes, it would be nice to see more people talking about games they enjoyed, rather than complaining about what they didn't like. I've heard the same idea expressed by many others, over time.

Unfortunately, people tend to be negative. Look up "negativity bias," for example. Our brains are wired to be negative, to pay attention to things that are "wrong" in one way or another, and to have emotional reactions to them. Also, being judgmental can be an ego-boost, because it enables you to feel above that which you are criticizing.

All that is to say, it ain't gonna change. And telling people to "love it or leave it" will not work. The only thing that does work is "be the change you want to see" -- and even then, the change will just be minor. I think you have to accept that, by and large, people -- especially on the internet, and perhaps especially in gaming forums -- tend to be negative and critical.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
gaming is much more than just gears of war fallout and halo, if you can't realize that you aren't actually a gamer. if you focus just on AAA you're gonna have a bad time (though even then there are many interesting and actually good AAA publishers like Bandai Namco, Capcom, Sega, Valve and Sony) but i'm not even asking for you to look at Indie just take a moment to browse the fucking steam store for once instead of waiting for the next big release to be spoonfed to you

It's totally fine if you love shitburgers. You do you.

Fredrik

actually a really good idea, one subforum for people to speculate and console war and the other for people to actually talk about games.
Hmm that’s not a bad idea at all!

Console warring isn’t allowed but mods would decimate 90% of the board if they truly went after ALL that talk. It’s there in every DF face off, in every sales thread, in every subscription thread, in every VR thread, etc. Mostly new posters or rabid fanboys get removed while popular posters are allowed to show their bias.

Would be better to just allow it all on a sub-board, no bans, and then erase all platform warring and comparison posts in the gaming subforum no matter who say it.

Focus on the games and the gameplay in the gaming subforum. Our platform of choice on a multiplat isn’t really important tbh. It’s usually just about picking up a different controller from a shelf for most of us who buy everything.

And I’d love to just post some random thing about Elden Ring but it currently feels unimportant to start a new thread and only a small number of people read an OT. I sometimes write in other threads where the game is mentioned but well not sure if that’s where that talk should be.

Nydius

if you can't realize that you aren't actually a gamer.
It took three pages but your true colors finally emerged and they’re somewhere between diarrhea brown and baby shit green.

”if you don’t agree with me you’re not a REAL gamer”

Fuck off with your sad, pathetic gatekeeping. If you don’t like people having critical opinions that differ from yours, cancel your fucking internet instead of trying to dictate what people should think.

Take your bullshit whining to GameFAQs where it belongs.

Toons

OP sounds young.

Take it from someone who's been around since Pong:

Gaming sucks now.

Nah it doesn't. The stuff you thought wasn't there before was always there, you were just a kid and too innocent to be thinking about those things.

If you're still having fun you're still having fun. Real workds always offered plenty of BS. Thats just life

0neAnd0nly

All I will say to this, is that as someone who use to follow and report on news for something I loved…

Sometimes, you have to criticize what you love. If it’s something you care about, criticism isn’t always avoidable. That means you have a passion for it.

I get the tone of the thread because today, in our current timeline, there is a lot of pessimism ALL OVER just to generate rage / outrage. The person (and most people) on GAF that express frustrations with the industry however don’t do it for “rage clicks”, they do it because they believe something they greatly care about is being negatively affected.

Try to look at it like that, not just assuming people like to gripe.

Fredrik

Most people here love talking about games more than they do playing them.
I think most just don’t have the time, many have families and kids and work and studies and housework etc taking up lots of time during a day, but finding the time for a quick post on a forum is easy.

I do most of my gaming between 21:30 and 23:30.
Daytime console gaming almost never happens, only if it’s a game kids can look at and that’s unfortunately rare today outside of Nintendo.
I sometimes sneak away to where I have the PC and get maybe an hour or two or even three on weekend days when the kids are occupied with something else.
On weekends I can also play some Steam Deck in bed in the mornings.
But on average we’re talking about 2 hours of gaming per day, and that’s best case scenario since I have other time-consuming hobbies too.

Toons

I think most just don’t have the time, many have families and kids and work and studies and housework etc taking up lots of time during a day, but finding the time for a quick post on a forum is easy.

I do most of my gaming between 21:30 and 23:30.
Daytime console gaming almost never happens, only if it’s a game kids can look at and that’s unfortunately rare today outside of Nintendo.
I sometimes sneak away to where I have the PC and get maybe an hour or two or even three on weekend days when the kids are occupied with something else.
On weekends I can also play some Steam Deck in bed in the mornings.
But on average we’re talking about 2 hours of gaming per day, and that’s best case scenario since I have other time-consuming hobbies too.

So what you're saying is yall are sad and old and already peaked in life and we need fresh blood here to balance it out? 😆

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
”if you don’t agree with me you’re not a REAL gamer”
jesus fucking christ lmao

What i said: If you can't realize that there are video games besides the washed up AAA stuff you aren't actually a gamer
What you thought i said: if you don't agree with all of my opinions you aren't an actual gamer

the lengths people will go to misconstrue the most clearly said, well spoken easily understandable sentence just to make the person they're arguing with look bad holy shit

Fredrik

So what you're saying is yall are sad and old and already peaked in life and we need fresh blood here to balance it out? 😆
Heh well yeah I’m old but I don’t think I’m sad, I usually look like my avatar but less green, just thought it could explain why people talk more frequently than they play games. Young posters are needed though! It’s cool to listen to people with completely different backgrounds. 👍

I have no idea how you drew the conclusion that I only play aaa games. If you've read any of my posts about lists and what I am in to, you'd know it's very much the opposite. Most of what I play are jrpgs, indies and aa games. My position on this topic, and the topic it was inspired by, is that MOST new aaa gamesa are, infact, shit IMO.

So yeah, you're way off base, and it's confusing as to why you thought I was only into AAA games?

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Gaming only sucks if you are still focused on big budget titles and mainstream publishers. The indie scene is where its at these days now.

However one thing that has disappeared and probably will never be repliclated, is the amazing hardcore Japanese gaming scene that died off around the time of the PS4. 15 years ago we had Capcom, Konami, Namco and Sega pumping out a huge variety of titles in every genre. Capcom wasnt just making SF, they found the time to also create Lost Planet, Dead Rising, etc. That variety of excellent but not quite AAA titles have mostly disappeared.

Last edited:

If you don't like those threads why don't you leave them then? Feels like this thread is just a place for you to vent. We have so many good threads in 2023. Are you just trying to make people as upset as you are?

Filben

Because some people don't like to leave things to get worse but want to help it, because they hold it dear, and don't want to leave. Sometimes you do just walk away when it doesn't work out anymore and sometimes you don't.

However, I agree that there's still plenty positives about gaming in general. It's just certain trends that suck but those trends aren't affecting every game. But to keep it that way people need to make it clear that some practices aren't desired. You can't just let corporations do whatever they want because there's only so much of a mutual interest but a lot of interest that's not compliant with those of consumers'.

Top Bottom