• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"dohhh gaming sucks now" why don't you leave then

I appreciate the well written reply thank you.
I disagree.

I think people are just fed the fuck up with the constant lying bye marketing departments in the gaming sphere. They can only take so much BS. Its all about catharsis. The companies get treated with kids gloves bye journalists (who are often contibuting to spreading hype and Marketing Buzzwords for them in exchange for access) and constantly hyped up by fans. Forums like this are maybe the only place online to find fellow gamers who recognize whats going wrong and wont gaslight you for mentioning it.

I personaly blame complicate gamers just as much if not more than companies for this dire situation. Pretty soon its gonna be just a no console/allways online SP/GASS everything/gambling addition based/ dopimine delivery system.

Quite frankly I think we have already passed the point of no return. Majority of gamers have decided they dont give a shit. They dont care about ownership, they dont care about being fleeced, they dont care about anything other than there next fix. More and more I dont see the difference between Hype abcesed gamers and heroin addicted addicts.

$500+ and $10 per game fee for PS4 games @1440p 60fps is a shit deal in 2023 anyway you cut it.
As I’ve asked others here when they go on rants like this, after feeling this way about AAA gaming, what is your next step from here? You’ve acknowledged a problem, now what is your personal solution to it?

CGNoire

As I’ve asked others here when they go on rants like this, after feeling this way about AAA gaming, what is your next step from here? You’ve acknowledged a problem, now what is your personal solution to it?
I am venting just like everyone else. Mostly for catharsis. What plan could I possible have? Those without power like myself usual only have venting. Just because Im powerless bye myself doesnt mean making an annoying stink collectivly doesnt ever lead to results. (Sonic film) Im sure the devs and companies more than anyone else want us to stop "mucking up" all the threads that would otherwise be full of mostly hype and lead to more sales. Everywhere you go online people are pissed about this gen....maybe theres something to that.

Last edited:
Mine is to stick to what I usually do: Buy Nintendo games, aa games and jrpgs. After that I just sub to gp & ps+ while buying the rare aaa game I like day one, but mostly waiting for deep sales to try them.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Im sure the devs and companies more than anyone else want us to stop "mucking up" all the threads that would otherwise be full of mostly hype and lead to more sales.

I don't think they care. Publishers are making big profits off the practices that are responsible for these complaints (e.g., micro-transactions, low-effort sequels, endless remasters, releasing half-finished games, etc.). We can complain until the cows come home, and they'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Everywhere you go online people are pissed about this gen....maybe theres something to that.

Yes, I agree; there is something to it. You didn't see this level of complaining 20 years ago. Things have changed.

Last edited:
I am venting just like everyone else. Mostly for catharsis. What plan could I possible have? Those without power like myself usual only have venting. Just because Im powerless bye myself doesnt mean making an annoying stink collectivly doesnt ever lead to results. (Sonic film) Im sure the devs and companies more than anyone else want us to stop "mucking up" all the threads that would otherwise be full of mostly hype and lead to more sales. Everywhere you go online people are pissed about this gen....maybe theres something to that.
Devs and companies don’t really look at these threads. They look at twitter, Tik Tok , and YouTube. So when everyone’s being overall negative here and constantly complaining, they’re simply just annoying other posters here instead… posters who already know these things about most AAA games and don’t care to be reminded about it on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, because it does nothing for them or the forum.

There’s so many other things you could easily do in GAF, in addition to venting, and so many other things you could find out about gaming that could entice you, but you’re choosing(at least on GAF) to just stay in a narrow corner of being perpetually pissed at the AAA industry.

Regarding the “mucking up”, The OP isn’t pro-publisher and corporations/anti- player, and neither am I, yet so many here like yourself are ready to paint us that way at a moment’s notice. Why? Because we don’t want a constantly negative forum? Really? I don’t get it 🤷‍♂️

Our only choice is that we just have to hope that one day people like yourself branch out to more than just the big AAA publishers and find a renewed interest in your hobby and the other 90% of video games that are barely celebrated here.

So the best that can potentially happen is that GAF improves and grows on it’s own slowly but surely. It just needs to be seen from the outside in as more than “oh GAF? Yea those guys shit on everything.” When someone here makes a thread about an obscure indie game that they liked and want to share to others, and the immediate response is to shit on their thread? Then something’s off, at least to me. And it happens way too often here to count. Again, I’m not going to tell anyone what to do here. I’d rather just put the mirror up and show them what they’re seeing and what they’re doing. Hopefully a positive change is made, even if it’s the slightest change ever.

I still really like this hobby regardless of certain parts of it having issues, and when those certain parts are going through rough times and issues, I move on to another part to have fun in that corner until I return to the other corner to play whatever greatly received title has come out. There are literally too many video games in the history of man to be this mad all the time about one part of the industry.

CGNoire

Devs and companies don’t really look at these threads. They look at twitter, Tik Tok , and YouTube. So when everyone’s being overall negative here and constantly complaining, they’re simply just annoying other posters here instead… posters who already know these things about most AAA games and don’t care to be reminded about it on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, because it does nothing for them or the forum.

There’s so many other things you could easily do in GAF, in addition to venting, and so many other things you could find out about gaming that could entice you, but you’re choosing(at least on GAF) to just stay in a narrow corner of being perpetually pissed at the AAA industry.

Regarding the “mucking up”, The OP isn’t pro-publisher and corporations/anti- player, and neither am I, yet so many here like yourself are ready to paint us that way at a moment’s notice. Why? Because we don’t want a constantly negative forum? Really? I don’t get it 🤷‍♂️

Our only choice is that we just have to hope that one day people like yourself branch out to more than just the big AAA publishers and find a renewed interest in your hobby and the other 90% of video games that are barely celebrated here.

So the best that can potentially happen is that GAF improves and grows on it’s own slowly but surely. It just needs to be seen from the outside in as more than “oh GAF? Yea those guys shit on everything.” When someone here makes a thread about an obscure indie game that they liked and want to share to others, and the immediate response is to shit on their thread? Then something’s off, at least to me. And it happens way too often here to count. Again, I’m not going to tell anyone what to do here. I’d rather just put the mirror up and show them what they’re seeing and what they’re doing. Hopefully a positive change is made, even if it’s the slightest change ever.

I still really like this hobby regardless of certain parts of it having issues, and when those certain parts are going through rough times and issues, I move on to another part to have fun in that corner until I return to the other corner to play whatever greatly received title has come out. There are literally too many video games in the history of man to be this mad all the time about one part of the industry.
The only thing i do here?....come on.

I never attacked the op or you. I dont think you all are pro corporate but I do think gaming is straight up highly addictive to the point where I dont automaticly trust that people arent just defending what they want to believe.
Theres plenty of evidence agaignst the corporations when it comes too willfull lies and distortions to maximize profit that when otheres just disreguard it like they constantly do when it comes to truth in games advetising (my top pet peeve) it creates an atmosphere of mistrust.

Dude I play every single gen all year. From Nes-Ps4-Highend Pc and every indie inbetween. I love minimalism with a passion but also I exspect high end visuals that push tech when asked to not only pay to upgrade my system but also pay a $10 fee per game. Indie space is in awesome shape (Im an indie dev myself and have a multipltude of games under cronstruction) but the AAA space....the space Im paying to play in at $500+ upgrade is in dire life support and I wont be lied to with "wee believe in generations" or selling out an entire generation of tech being held back bye a 4tf console just so they can make a killing off subs.

Ive never shit on indies graphics. Maybe called them out for lies about the tech or misleading messaging in general but never would I exspect Indies to compete toe to toe with modern Next Gen visuals.

Last edited:
The only thing i do here?....come on.
I’ve read my post and your post multiple times and I don’t know what part this question is referencing. I think I see what’s happening here though. You’re reading my statement as a defense/counter attack against an alleged attack. In order to clear the air here, I’m just wanting to put a reminder that I’m simply just having a conversation with you.

I didn’t throw around a single insult your way and nor did I attack you. If you are taking my post as an attack or defense, then something wrong is happening or you’re reading way, way too deeply between the lines.

I never attacked the op or you
I know this and didn’t take it as an attack. I’m not trying to either. Again, same as above.

I dont think you all are pro corporate but I do think gaming is straight up highly addictive to the point where I dont automaticly trust that people arent just defending what they want to believe.
Addiction can happen, but I think it’s more fair to wait and see how an individual talks about a game before casting a wide net of judgment over them. There has been multiple instances here where I’ve gone against the grain, both in terms of positive and negative views on things.

One of my favorite things to say here is the fact that if you’re a big fan of something, you should be able to accept it’s flaws as well. There are some posters here can’t bring themselves to even criticize their favorites and those are the types of posters you should worry about more, because they are the types that affirm your worries.

I’m not asking for complete trust, just asking for benefit of the doubt. Give the person an internal 3 strike system if needed…just something that allows them to prove you wrong before you’ve already written them off.

Theres plenty of evidence agaignst the corporations when it comes too willfull lies and distortions to maximize profit that when otheres just disreguard it like they constantly do when it comes to truth in games advetising (my top pet peeve) it creates an atmosphere of mistrust.
I agree to a certain degree, but again I feel it’s not worth casting a wide net. Things are always more nuanced than that.

Dude I play every single gen all year. From Nes-Ps4-Highend Pc and every indie inbetween. I love minimalism with a passion but also I exspect high end visuals that push tech when asked to not only pay to upgrade my system but also pay a $10 fee per game. Indie space is in awesome shape (Im an indie dev myself and have a multipltude of games under cronstruction) but the AAA space....the space Im paying to play in at $500+ upgrade is in dire life support and I wont be lied to with "wee believe in generations" or selling out an entire generation of tech being held back bye a 4tf console just so they can make a killing off subs.
Well, I hope you enjoy this year of gaming and 2024 because they’re full of current gen-only releases. I hope to see you in some of the OT threads.

Ive never shit on indies graphics. Maybe called them out for lies about the tech or misleading messaging in general but never would I exspect Indies to compete toe to toe with modern Next Gen visuals.
That statement I made wasn’t in regards to graphics, and it wasn’t specifically in regards to you. It was in regards to GAF as a whole. The main point of that statement was to point out how negative this forum can be on it’s worst days, that a random game that someone liked or wanted to show off gets hit with a random wave of RNG negativity for no discernible reason.

It especially sucks on the random chance when the developer themselves are taking a chance and trying to explain their brand new game on this site and instead are met with combativeness and negativity. Whether because someone is playing a ‘role’(which some oddly do here) or they just like using GAF as emotional therapy like I stated before, a random game developer or adjacent isn’t really built to handle that oddness, because they’re expecting to talk to regular people and not something else. Also to be precise, negativity and criticism aren’t always the same thing. I like when GAF does the latter, but the former can be annoying to see because it’s unwarranted.

Again, to reiterate, none of this post or prior ones are an attack on you. I enjoy forum conversations. If you enjoy this conversation as much as I do it’s great. As long as you’re not taking it way too personally then I wouldn’t mind a further back and forth.

CGNoire

I’ve read my post and your post multiple times and I don’t know what part this question is referencing. I think I see what’s happening here though. You’re reading my statement as a defense/counter attack against an alleged attack. In order to clear the air here, I’m just wanting to put a reminder that I’m simply just having a conversation with you.

I didn’t throw around a single insult your way and nor did I attack you. If you are taking my post as an attack or defense, then something wrong is happening or you’re reading way, way too deeply between the lines.

I know this and didn’t take it as an attack. I’m not trying to either. Again, same as above.

Addiction can happen, but I think it’s more fair to wait and see how an individual talks about a game before casting a wide net of judgment over them. There has been multiple instances here where I’ve gone against the grain, both in terms of positive and negative views on things.

One of my favorite things to say here is the fact that if you’re a big fan of something, you should be able to accept it’s flaws as well. There are some posters here can’t bring themselves to even criticize their favorites and those are the types of posters you should worry about more, because they are the types that affirm your worries.

I’m not asking for complete trust, just asking for benefit of the doubt. Give the person an internal 3 strike system if needed…just something that allows them to prove you wrong before you’ve already written them off.

I agree to a certain degree, but again I feel it’s not worth casting a wide net. Things are always more nuanced than that.

Well, I hope you enjoy this year of gaming and 2024 because they’re full of current gen-only releases. I hope to see you in some of the OT threads.

That statement I made wasn’t in regards to graphics, and it wasn’t specifically in regards to you. It was in regards to GAF as a whole. The main point of that statement was to point out how negative this forum can be on it’s worst days, that a random game that someone liked or wanted to show off gets hit with a random wave of RNG negativity for no discernible reason.

It especially sucks on the random chance when the developer themselves are taking a chance and trying to explain their brand new game on this site and instead are met with combativeness and negativity. Whether because someone is playing a ‘role’(which some oddly do here) or they just like using GAF as emotional therapy like I stated before, a random game developer or adjacent isn’t really built to handle that oddness, because they’re expecting to talk to regular people and not something else. Also to be precise, negativity and criticism aren’t always the same thing. I like when GAF does the latter, but the former can be annoying to see because it’s unwarranted.

Again, to reiterate, none of this post or prior ones are an attack on you. I enjoy forum conversations. If you enjoy this conversation as much as I do it’s great. As long as you’re not taking it way too personally then I wouldn’t mind a further back and forth.
No worries we cool no fight :)

but you’re choosing(at least on GAF) to just stay in a narrow corner of being perpetually pissed at the AAA industry.
Here is what I was referencing...key word being "Just" which equals "only".

yet so many here like yourself are ready to paint us that way at a moment’s notice
This is what "i didnt attack you" was referencing attack=label in this case.

I dont believe it takes anymore nuance than that to acknowledge that the video game industry has uncomparable dihonesty in advertising that would make any other entertainment industry jealous.

I am way too cynical to think that devs interacting here will bear any fruit. They use it ascommunity outreach advertising not to garner what we want and implement it. Same with insert game forum community managers.

I hope to conversate with you in future as well. Cheers.

Kev Kev

Eavesdropping Joe Rogan GIF by MOODMAN

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Gaming is weird because can you imagine someone saying to you: "wut! u don't like Taylor Swift? Kwit listening to music, umkay?". Now see how ridiculous that idea is?
not liking one singular artist is in no way comparable to hating every video game that's come out in the past 13 years and for some reason STILL engaging with the hobby

Last edited:

Freeman76

People just love to whine. I saw a thread the other day whinging about Diablo 4 not having enough colour in it. I mean what sort of mindset does it take to think thats worthy of making a thread about 🤣

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I'm totally fine to skip games/genres that don't interest me, and I don't need to make a big deal about it. But the long development cycles do bug me because the few games that I am looking forward to take so damn long to come out.

Bond007

You list all these games YOU validate as good games. Not everyone has to like any of those regardless of what people think.
People can like whatever and feel however they wish about the current state of gaming if their personal needs are not being met.

Interfectum

Gaming is the best its ever been... problem is it's also the worst its ever been. Don't try to think too hard about it, just enjoy the games you like and skip the rest.

I''m trying to decide if OP is an eleven year boy or a full grown up redpill baby.
I'm sorry but if just one game and in that case, Elden Ring, is the argument to not criticize the industry......we are in a hopeless time

Top Bottom