• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"dohhh gaming sucks now" why don't you leave then

EN250

Everyone has different opinions...

For those on the other thread saying they want to leave gaming, don't do it yet, there are many great games out there, just find a way to filter and classify the crap you don't like for the stuff you do and you'll find some truly great stuff you didn't discover yet

makaveli60

Those who cry do it because they hope that the producers of these games will see it and change for the better, I guess. At least that’s my reason.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Weird takes here.

I'm more happy now than another time in my life. Great family life, great job, financial security. Very positive vibes overall and day-to-day.

That said, I recognize that gaming does indeed suck now compared to years past. Look at Bethesda's arc, from Fallout 3 to 76. Things getting better there? How about Rocksteady, from the Arkham trilogy to Suicide Squad. Amazing improvement? BF 2024 better than 3 or 4? Halo gotten better over the years? Gears of War better now? Etc, etc, etc, etc...

I mean, you can be fine eating shitburgers when we used to be getting steak, but don't blame those complaining about it or write them off as just being pessimistic.

tmlDan

I think it’s fair to complain about a hobby you spend a lot of time on while still enjoying the hobby at large.

I would think the people who enjoy the hobby the most are also the most likely to be extra critical towards it.
They don't actually enjoy the hobby, if they did they wouldnt silo themselves into a specific game they prefer or like, gaming is diverse and for different tastes - if it evolved past your liking there will always be games that cater to that but far and few between, you'll have to deal with it or pick a hobby where you aren't as picky about everything.

It's like being a foodie but you only like sushi and nothing else. Are you actually a foodie?

They don't actually enjoy the hobby, if they did they wouldnt silo themselves into a specific game they prefer or like, gaming is diverse and for different tastes - if it evolved past your liking there will always be games that cater to that but far and few between, you'll have to deal with it or pick a hobby where you aren't as picky about everything.

It's like being a foodie but you only like sushi and nothing else. Are you actually a foodie?
Does that make you a fat ass who can't turn down rotten banana peels in the trash? Just because some don't like the current spate of most aaa games, doesn't mean we hate all games, just the ones you like, apparently.

Snoop Dogg Idk GIF by NBC

Last edited:
its the same opinion over again though, AAA games suck because of this this and this. we get a 'gaming is dead/sucks/awful' thread every other month. it's confusing when we're currently gonna be getting one of the best years in a while
Possibly, but that’s totally subjective. Many gamers thought the same thing last year and probably the year before and there were so many disappointing games released last year, it was frightening. I think the reason people vent on the current state of gaming a little more often now is because they hate to see their favorite hobby change for the worst courtesy of soulless, greedy corporations with no imagination or respect for what used to be considered art.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Sure, why not? You can eat sushi and still have an interest in other foods, try new stuff even though you probably won’t enjoy them and know a lot about food, chefs, ingredients, restaurants etc. etc. as a subject.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Many gamers thought the same thing last year and probably the year before and there were so many disappointing games released last year, it was frightening.
Lot of the most anticipated games from last year were delayed to 2023. you can see this now with how packed January and Febuary were.

Ammogeddon

It’s not anything to get annoyed about. There’s plenty of room here to create any thread you want. All you have to do is not read them.

I sometimes lurk on Reddit's PatientGamers sub to see people's opinions on older games. The most frustrating thing to read on a "patient" sub is about people who constantly pop up and whine about not having time to play as they are now adults and have children and demanding jobs. Or don't feel like playing and thinking that's because they are now getting old.

I wonder how many people create threads and whine about their adult lives on camping forums. "Oh I don't have time like you guys, I'm so busy". I mean, then do something else with your life if you don't have time for it or don't enjoy it.

End of rant. I just don't get some people who feel like they are forced to enjoy a hobby. I have phases when I don't listen to much music or watch movies, so I do something different until I feel like jumping in again.

I skipped the PS3 and PS4 era as they didn't offer me enough to buy a console. But now with the PS5 there's a big enough library of remakes and backwards compatible games that I felt like buying it. Sometimes you need to let parts of a hobby rest until they are worth pursuing again.

Yeah, this is always obnoxious. If you care about something and want to do it, you'll find the time. Obviously most adults don't have unlimited time for hobbies anymore, that's a given, but I just work it in to my schedule cause I love it. Every day I get home from work at 5:15 or so, dinner, clean-up, then it's game time for an hour. Then I get a little extra time in on the weekends. Yeah you don't barrel through 50 hours games in a week and a half like you used to, but it's still fun.

tmlDan

Does that make you a fat ass who can't turn down rotten banana peels in the trash? Just because some don't like the current spate of most aaa games, doesn't mean we hate all games, just the ones you like, apparently.

Snoop Dogg Idk GIF by NBC
wtf are you talking about.

They're objectively not bad games, but the people who make those threads say it like they are.

Your analogy makes no sense.

tmlDan

Nah, what makes no sense is the "quit gaming if you don't like what I like" shtick. It's just low effort trolling.
You nitpicked one portion of what my point was...it's not a schitck, it's more like stop complaining all the time that games don't fit in your specific box.

That's not trolling, the people who complain without any proper reasoning other than i want something different is low effort trolling.

UnNamed

Banned
Lately Neogaf is on "I hate everything" mode.

Gaming industry goes shit
Volcano High sucks
Suicide Squad nobody like it
No one wants single player mode
Rocksteady wasted
Next gen is disappointing
etc...

I think we should focus on games we like instead of complaining on games we won't buy anyway.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Man why do people always make these threads? At this point this place feels more like a place to vent at this point

"ahh gaming sucks because blah blah long dev times blah blah mtx blah blah woke"

it's crazy how yall motherfuckers are upset when we got Elden Ring last year and you're gettting Hi Fi Rush, Hogwarts, Street Fighter 6, Resi 4 Remake, Spiderman 2 and more this year. This year looks to be a return to form with how much original cool shit is coming out, as much as AAA usually sucked in the past we're getting better shit now and 2023 seems like the year that the 2020s turn around as a decade when it comes to gaming

I feel like the people who make these types of threads here aren't even here because they like video games. It's just nothing but skeptics and cynics trying to make everyone feel just as upset as they are. There are other hobbies out there if youre so disillusioned, try those out and come back at a later time.
We had Harry Potter games, spider man games, street fighter games and resident evil games back in the PSX. this is hardly a great defense of where innovation went in this industry...

Gaming means something different for each of us. Some want innovation, some want realism, some want challenge, some want popularity and sales. I play for fun, for immersion, and sometimes for nostalgia. All I'll say is pardon me for not liking the latest Far Cry, Battlefield or Saint's Row games.

It's ok though, because for every one of those titles I don't like, we have a new Hollow Knight game coming soon, and Octopath Traveler 2 just came out, and I love those games. I also enjoyed the hell out of Hogwarts Legacy, so it's not all bad.

AGRacing

There's a lot of absolute horse shit in gaming in 2023. And there's objectively FAR more of it now than there was in the past. The first 2 years of PS2 were downright utopian compared to the first 2 years of PS5.

Doesn't mean I don't love gaming... I just love it when it's done right and hate it when it's not.

Hogwarts was a bit of fun so far this year (haven't got too deep)...

But as I said in the Pavlov thread... THAT experience is gaming at its best in 2023. A well priced game with an amazing hook , great new mechanics and not shoving 2023 online gaming garbage in my face every 2 minutes. It's got room to refine itself.... But that's the first game to bring me that "YES! This is truly new and cool!" feeling in a LONG time.

15 minutes on State of Play of fucking Suicide Squad and 10 Japanese trailers of ridiculous dialogue over guitar rock is what's wrong with gaming now.

nemiroff

Gold Member
OP is indirectly right, people will never ever be satisfied no matter how awesome things are. I mean, I'm an old school tech nerd, and I joined the first forum discussions back when the internet was a new thing. When we were discussing on the alt forums, guess what; Judging by the whining, gaming appeared to suck back then too even though it didn't..

No one has to leave, everything is par for the course.

Last edited:
Just because you like getting fucked in the ass by modern gaming *cough* suicide squad* cough*, doesn't mean everyone needs to be fine and dandy about it. Sure Japan is great as always, but that doesn't mean western AAA gaming is in a great place.
Why is anyone getting "fucked in the ass"? If a particular game isn't what you want, don't buy it.

There are plenty of games I've been more than happy with my purchase recently. Don't play what you deem to be a bad deal. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Sinfulgore

This attitude doesn't make much sense to me. It sucks when my favorite football team doesn't make the playoffs and I will absolutely criticize them for that but no one would ever tell me to just stop watching football.

People criticize things they like and want to see do better so telling them to just "leave" is silly. Despite some successes, the gaming industry as a whole is in a very bad spot right now, games cost more yet offer much less content, there's a huge lack of originality/creativity in games, games release so broken they get removed from digital storefronts, many PC ports are a complete mess at launch, the final product is very different than what was advertised, etc. I can't think of any other industry where this kind of stuff would be tolerated and the people who just accept it are part of the problem.

Fbh

Hyperbolic statements have always been a part of online gaming discussion. People love to focus on the negative.

To me 2023 seems great: Hogwarts Legacy, Re4 Remake, FE Engage, Atomic Heart, Wo long, Like a Dragon: Ishin, Jedi Survivor, Tears of the Kingdom, FFXVI, Aromred Core, Hollow Knight Silksong (I mean, maybe? who fucking knows at this point), Sea of Stars, Spiderman 2, Space Marine 2 (maybe), etc.

There's more stuff coming out than what I'll probably have time to play. And none of them are multiplayer or GAAS

brian0057

Banned
Play more indies. If AAA titles is all you're consuming, you're gonna have a bad time.
It's like eating only McDonalds and complaining about how food sucks. Well, you keep eating trash. Try some veggies for a change.

-GAF posters make complaint threads about the gaming industry at least once or more every few weeks.

-OP 64bitmodels 64bitmodels makes the one thread pointing out the fact that people are constantly being cynical.

-The ratio of complaint threads to this thread would technically be almost 50:1 or up to 100:1 since last year.

-GAF posters instead decide to dislike OP's thread and trash it.

A lot of you are literally proving 64bitmodels 64bitmodels right.

4a4.gif

ACESHIGH

Banned
Yeah!!! Let's lower our standards!!!! Everythings great!!! Who cares if I have to catch shaders like on an emulator done for free on my 70 USD game!!!

Let's subsidize devs lack of talent and lack of QA by bruteforcing games on overpowered hardware so that they have more spare time to virtue signal on Twitter and tell me I am a toxic white male!!!!

You bought a game day one at full price? Can't you wait 6 months to a year until it's fully patched? I swear to God gamers are so entitled!!!

Last edited:

kyussman

I haven't picked up a controller in nearly two years,but I'm here all the time because I'm still interested in gaming.There has been nothing to get me invested in this gen yet but I hope that changes at some point.I think a lot of people are becoming disillusioned with the GAAS model that so many games use these days.....nothing wrong with saying that.

Just because you like getting fucked in the ass by modern gaming *cough* suicide squad* cough*, doesn't mean everyone needs to be fine and dandy about it. Sure Japan is great as always, but that doesn't mean western AAA gaming is in a great place.

Gaming is better than it's ever been, just because people like to live in fantasy nostalgia world doesn't mean everyone needs to talk about how "modern gaming sucks" while only looking at the negatives of modern gaming and the positives of gaming in the past. Sure OP's thread is on the other end of the spectrum but people nonstop whining is far more annoying than people addressing said whining

RafterXL

Any time I see someone whining about the current state of gaming I just remind myself that it's actually a *them* problem and not a gaming problem. There are so many games, from so many genres that I want to play that even if I quit my job and did nothing but play video games 24/7 for the rest of my life I'd never get to them all. Not only is gaming fine, but it's great, if you think it's not you should look in the mirror for the issue.

FunkMiller

Nothing wrong with being openly critical of things like Suicide Squad - which features the kind of poisonous greed that will kill everyone's enjoyment of gaming, if not pushed back against.

Important to also praise games which give gamers value for money and a quality product like Hogwart's Legacy.

Top Bottom