• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Switch port has had the physical release withdrawn. Digital only now.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Expected to be honest after the MS acquisition.

Now is time for Nintendo to venture into the FPS genre (not gonna happen unfortunately).
Microsoft has been good about finishing dev and commitments with acquired studios. Hellblade, Outer Words + DLC, Death Loop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Pyschonauts 2, etc. They’ve also helped make Cuphead, Ori 1/2, and Steve in Smash all happen on Switch so I doubt they’d pull a year old portable port of Doom. Not to mention it was being ported by an external team so it wasn’t diverting any attention away at ID.

Last edited:
Microsoft has been good about finishing dev and commitments with acquired studios. Hellblade, Outer Words + DLC, Death Loop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Pyschonauts 2, etc. They’ve also helped make Cuphead, Ori 1/2, and Steve in Smash all happen on Switch so I doubt they’d pull a year old portable port of Doom. Not to mention it was being ported by an external team so it wasn’t diverting any attention away at ID.
Yeah you're right, forgot about that. So the compromises needed probably were too much, so yeah, they just canned it.

Unfortunately.

Yeah that’s my guess. Totally forgot to add but MS hasn’t finished the acquisition either (legal, financial, regulatory boxes left to check) so this wouldn’t even be their call.
Yeah, it's a shame though.
Way to create a negative narrative around MS
Nah, not really. I mean, it will soon be MS's IP that's why I said it. But as Thicc Team Six said, this is not related to it, so I just take what I said about it. Really not trying to shit on MS.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Finally bit off more than they could chew, I suspect. I’d been thinking this would happen for a while — launch aligned versions games like this don’t just disappear for a year with no news, and with less and less vague promises.

It is a fantastic game. Handheld or no, I hope the people who were sticking it out for Switch, play it on one of the other consoles.

The Alien

Banned

Now is time for Nintendo to venture into the FPS genre (not gonna happen unfortunately).
Probably has more to do with overall Eternal sales not meeting expectations as well as Doom (2016) sales on Switch.

Microsoft is chummy with Nintendo and likely to allow contracts to finish. Also, technically Microsoft doesn't own Bethesda until March.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Nintendo devs can only make cartoon garbage - hyperbole, but true.

R6cb2Ql.jpg

See me after school. We will teach you how to troll properly

Romulus

The 2016 port while impressive in terms of an achievement, is still total shit. Even the xb1 version is garbage and it blows away the Switch port.

No surprise they cancelled a more demanding sequel.

Last edited:
Probably has more to do with overall Eternal sales not meeting expectations as well as Doom (2016) sales on Switch.

Microsoft is chummy with Nintendo and likely to allow contracts to finish. Also, technically Microsoft doesn't own Bethesda until March.
Yeah you're right, they would still honor the contracts.
Nintendo devs can only make cartoon garbage - hyperbole, but true.
I wouldn't say cartoon garbage, but as a Switch only owner, a little bit more of diversity would be amazing for me.

-Arcadia-

Banned
For what it’s worth, I had a great time playing the original Doom on Switch, and didn’t really find the experience any different on One X. Better, sure. 60 FPS and cleaner visuals (Switch has this persistent very soft look). But the game is a blast to play, no matter where you pick it up, contrary to some hot takes in here.

Not sure where I’ll play all of the sequel yet (PS5/Series X is tempting if upgraded), but if this turns out well, it’ll be a cool option. If. This game is pushing things hard on consoles as it is, and I’ve been skeptical since the start. Nobody wants a 200p 20fps mess, like Outer Worlds.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

??? MS didn't acquire Zenimax yet, that deal is still on going...

This is likely happening because of poor sales of Doom on Switch.

edit. It being digital only still likely means its because of those low sales from Doom 2016. Digital makes sense if they want to keep the cost down.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
yeah im sure is cleaner to mash shit into your hands and wash it off with soap and water. definitely doesnt leave anything behind.
Of course lol why do you think otherwise, it's even in the steps for avoiding COVID - by regularly washing hands before and after coming home. Provided that those fingernails are trimmed.

Also people just use toilet jet these days. Easy and fast.

Reactions: TLZ
Disappointing, but not surprising given everything going against it.

I'm hopeful we'll see a Switch 2 sooner this gen than the Switch released last gen, with Nvidea's DLSS tech being used to make up the gap in power for these kind of ports.

amc

Things I've learned in this thread-

Doom Eternal is now digital only on Switch.

Some third world countries wipe their shitty arse with their hands.

Some strange people think if you wipe your backside with toilet paper it's somehow less hygienic than shitty fingernails.

Using toilet paper and washing your hands is mutually exclusive. (in the minds of shitty fingered people)

Didn't expect so much shit in a Switch thread.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Its got nothing to do with MS and everything to do with the Switch not being to cope with the game demands IMO

DOOM 2016 got cut down in resolution heavily and framerate (halved and still had drops) and DOOM Eternal is a step up in complexity and requires even more of a buttery smooth framerate to complement the frenetic gameplay. I will be surprised if they do not can it or rework it into a different game.

DOOM 2016 got cut down in resolution heavily and framerate (halved and still had drops) and DOOM Eternal is a step up in complexity and requires even more of a buttery smooth framerate to complement the frenetic gameplay. I will be surprised if they do not can it or rework it into a different game.

It's not just that, Doom Eternal really upped the size and vastness of each of the levels. I bet that was too much for the team to shrink down in the Switches memory

ripeavocado

Banned
DOOM 2016 was awful to play on Switch, I don't think there are many people forcing themselves to play a masterpiece on the worst possible platform where is barely playable.

Top Bottom