• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Switch port has had the physical release withdrawn. Digital only now.

mickaus

While I can understand that games are becoming more complex these days, I still don’t understand why they don’t just dramatically reduce graphics options to make ports perform better. I know it is better to have good graphics but since it is going to be worse graphics anyway why not just maximise performance. If it looks like an early 360 game so be it, not every game can be remembered for its quality graphics anyway. I had plenty of fun playing ocarina of time on the 64 earlier this year and that was stretched to widescreen as well.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
DOOM 2016 was awful to play on Switch, I don't think there are many people forcing themselves to play a masterpiece on the worst possible platform where is barely playable.
Hi, how's it going? I don't care about frame rate so long as the game is playable also I don't care about resolution or texture as such just give me a good game.. parry that you filthy PC casual...... no wait do not cry.... RAY TRACING 120FPS I hope that has calmed you and everyone down.... :) this all was a silly joke so don't get upset mods or people on this forum, I bring you love and happiness.. also I don't have the money or time to get a big rig. so just leave it as that. switch works for me, I have low expectations and am easily amused and entertained

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah that's kinda what my gut was saying.

The audience for a physical release of this game at this point will likely be very limited. Too much time has passed along with the price of cartridges it just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Expected to be honest after the MS acquisition.

Now is time for Nintendo to venture into the FPS genre (not gonna happen unfortunately).
Watch the upcoming Animal Crossing X Splatoon FPS on mobile sell 50x the lifetime sales of Doom Eternal in two weeks.

(I’m joking)

The 2016 port while impressive in terms of an achievement, is still total shit. Even the xb1 version is garbage and it blows away the Switch port.

No surprise they cancelled a more demanding sequel.
Doom 2016 on Switch was perfectly acceptable and well worth playing. My friends and I could bring it with us on vacation thanks to Switch - kinda hard to find room for a home console in hand luggage.

HeresJohnny

Will not buy. Digital only releases suck. I will applaud them for at least being up front and honest about it. I bought Bioshock collection and Resident Evil Origins and didn't realize either one required me to download at least half the content.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
The physical version was going to need a partial download anyway.
The problem is if you have the cartridge you can resell the license, with digital it's not possible.

I'm not willing to sped 60€ or more for an unsaleable digital game.

HF2014

Wow. Ok expecting my physical copy of original Doom to keep or even increase in value. Good thing i was able to get it back lately, it was a bit harder to find

Stuart360

Expected to be honest after the MS acquisition.

Now is time for Nintendo to venture into the FPS genre (not gonna happen unfortunately).
I doubt this is to do with Microsoft, who have allowed games on Switch in the past, and have said they will honor contracts already in place.
In fact technically Microsoft cant even stop this yet, as they dont own Zenimax yet.

Woopah

I mean the systems RAM memory issues, not storage
I admit I'm no tech expert but if there were RAM issues surely the digital version wouldn't run either.

A digital version means that the lack of a physical version must be due to cost issues rather then power issues.

Zimmy68

I admit I'm no tech expert but if there were RAM issues surely the digital version wouldn't run either.

A digital version means that the lack of a physical version must be due to cost issues rather then power issues.
It is strange because Doom Eternal is surprisingly slim on the major consoles. Something like 32 gigs. They could easily fit the slimmed down version on a cartridge.
I'm guessing if they have to go above 16gigs, they don't want to do it. Nintendo should help absorb that cost but they won't.

Woopah

It is strange because Doom Eternal is surprisingly slim on the major consoles. Something like 32 gigs. They could easily fit the slimmed down version on a cartridge.
I'm guessing if they have to go above 16gigs, they don't want to do it. Nintendo should help absorb that cost but they won't.
Probably because it's coming so late. If it was day and date it would be physical, but with the long delay the sales projections no longer look so good. Digital version allows them to recover development costs without spending more on carts and logistics.

MagnesG

Banned
You guys shouldn't be worried about covid you should be worried about making your own version of the plague with your shitty hands.
I use water jet on my toilet so what do you mean by that? Even if I use my hands it wouldn't be shitty when I wash my hands.
Real question did people always wash their hands after using tissues on their bhole?

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
I use water jet on my toilet so what do you mean by that? Even if I use my hands it wouldn't be shitty when I wash my hands.
Real question did people always wash their hands after using tissues on their bhole?
Fingernails are one of the biggest source for keeping bacteria and you want to mash your turds between them.

If you can afford internet you can afford toilet paper surely?

MagnesG

Banned
Fingernails are one of the biggest source for keeping bacteria and you want to mash your turds between them.

If you can afford internet you can afford toilet paper surely?
For the record I don't use my hands, and my nails are always trimmed every week like normal people do here. Soap exists for a reason to combat odor and bacteria.

People using toilet paper would have shit cretins unless washed during showers.

HF2014

I am willing to bet than 99% of the people that bought doom switch played it in their basement not on the go

Have you played Doom when taking a dump? Its possible! 😂

Doom look fine when playing handheld.Its when you put it docked on TV that its not that great.

-Arcadia-

Banned
There is no need to be upset, that some people enjoy handheld gaming (often around the house for pick-up-and-play, and for older people with responsibilities).

There's no need to play game consoles while pooping, and I don't understand Nintendo fans' obsession with feces.

There is no civilized excuse for not using toilet paper, and digging in there like you're building mud pies.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
There is no need to be upset, that some people enjoy handheld gaming (often around the house for pick-up-and-play, and for older people with responsibilities).

There's no need to play game consoles while pooping, and I don't understand Nintendo fans' obsession with feces.

There is no civilized excuse for not using toilet paper, and digging in there like you're building mud pies.

Try having a life long stomach issue then thell me you dont need to game while you poop. THATS WHAT I TH0UGHT!

MagnesG

Banned
I just don't understand this slander from you people :messenger_face_steam:

-Arcadia-

Banned
ITT bunch of console warriors shit on a port they never played

from what i hear the DOOM Switch port was fine and even preferred for some

but do go on acting like morons

I think you confuse opinion with trolling. Don't take the bait.

Hey, bidets are fine by me. But if your hands are touching... there (this subject is gross) after using the bathroom, then by every standard of decency and health, you are doing it wrong. Cultural thing or no. That doesn't entirely wash off, nor does the bacteria left behind.

MagnesG

Banned
Hey, bidets are fine by me. But if your hands are touching... there (this subject is gross) after using the bathroom, then by every standard of decency and health, you are doing it wrong. Cultural thing or no. That doesn't entirely wash off, nor does the bacteria left behind.
It's clean when rinsed with soap. Once and twice. Every time. Like shower gels/lotions.
Unless you mean that it wouldn't?

Last edited:

"I don't even bother wiping. Just not my style. Just drop my load and let the washing machine take care of the rest"

-Abraham Lincoln

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Can't say I'm surprised by this. I know there are a number of Switch DOOM fans, but I don't know if they'd make much at all going physical with Eternal. Especially at this point.

good. physical media needs to die.
Honestly, I'll only be okay with physical dying if digital drops in price. If it doesn't, then I'll continue to want physical on console.

jonnyXx

Doom 2016 with gyro aiming is better than playing it on consoles using controllers.
I own Doom 2016 on PC, PS4, and Switch and I disagree. The PS4 version runs at a super smooth 60fps and the controls are snappy and smooth.

The fps on the Switch port is very inconsistent and really plummets at times. I really like gyro controls but they work best when you have a good consistent fps. I still played it a ton and enjoyed it but the Switch is easily the worst playing version.

Xellos

Disappointing, but digital only is better than the half-on-card, half-download approach (Wolfenstein 2). On the bright side, it sounds like the game will be releasing soon.

Would be nice if some of these large, download-only games had a limited release on the 32GB cards, even if a premium price was required to justify the expense.

Romulus

Doom 2016 on Switch was perfectly acceptable and well worth playing. My friends and I could bring it with us on vacation thanks to Switch - kinda hard to find room for a home console in hand luggage.

What about a laptop? I have a shitty, old laptop/controller I can carry most anywhere that smokes Switch settings.

I just don't see myself as that desperate to game on vacation though. The game was made to play at 60fps, minimum. Not 20-30fps with vaseline smeared on that tiny screen. I'd rather wait a month without gaming.

Last edited:

I only go in the morning so that I can shower after using tp. Problem solved and my hands are clean.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's not just that, Doom Eternal really upped the size and vastness of each of the levels. I bet that was too much for the team to shrink down in the Switches memory

Yes of course and the deformation/damage on enemies too. It is far beyond what Doom 2016 attempted to do.

Top Bottom