• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

So many enemies, riveting AI, so little corridors. That weapon bob tho!

/s

The slow down, blur and bokeh effect when the weapon wheel comes up is so divine. Love it. I like the minimal UI too. Everything seems really simple, yet smooth, fluid and intuitive. That is exactly what an old school FPS should be.

Agreed. The game looks sleek as Hell.

Pun intended.

Overside

Banned
I am very surprised at the reception here. This seems like the perfect reveal and was my game of the show. The demo was all single player, no cinematic stuff, no set pieces, just pure gameplay with hip-firing. The animations looked awesome and the graphics were nice. Then they showed the multiplayer which is basically mods on consoles which is AMAZING! Then they showed MORE of the awesome single player with boss fights (which is very rare for an FPS), varied kill animations and the gunplay looked great. Granted, I've never played a Doom game before but I don't know what else they could have done to make people happy. I don't think I saw any sprinting either.

The gunplay did look fine. The context sensitive push a for awesome because we dont know how to do things with actual game mechanics was a huge turn off.

The enemy speed and movement was great. The player did move like molasses... Im thinking peple are forgetting what happened when you held the SHIFT button down in doom, and how necessary it was.

I liked the double jump.

But just killing shit in a gory way is NOT doom. DOOM was not a game for morons.

YES, the originals had a lot of corridors, and often opened up into large arenas, but the difference was the arenas and corridors were not all arranged in a straight line, and a lot of exploration, problem solving, and critical thinking was just as required as shooting things.

This was the MAIN reason doom spent so long on the throne, because all of its imitators were superficial. Doom wasnt the corridor shooter, the corridor shooter came from the countless imitators who could only focus on the surface level spectacle.

This, is what I would expect from a doom clone back in the day, but with modern snazzy graphics.

It got the spectacle, but completely failed to be doom.

Crud

Banned
This game is going to get very poor reviews. Looks so by the numbers and borrows too many elements from other games that everybody is already tired of.

I can already see the 5-7.5 scores.

We don't need another DOOM game. The sales will reflect that for sure.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So many enemies, riveting AI, so little corridors. That weapon bob tho!

/s

Agreed. The game looks sleek as Hell.

Pun intended.

In context of video game, nostalgia is a pretty horrible human trait. Really clouds judgement in a terrible way. Doom 4 looks great.

Tenebrous

The slow down, blur and bokeh effect when the weapon wheel comes up is so divine. Love it. I like the minimal UI too. Everything seems really simple, yet smooth, fluid and intuitive. That is exactly what an old school FPS should be.

Old school FPS.
Weapon wheel with slowdown.

Something isn't right.

cripterion

Missed the announcement so watching the footage linked now in this very thread and it is making me nauseous. Is it the narrow FOV or the bad YouTube framerate?

Woorloog

Banned
Old school FPS.

Something isn't right.

I'll repeat myself again.
Just speculation of course:

The demo was played with a controller. The wheel and slowdown is most likely a console/controller feature to simulate the fast weapon switching keyboard allows on PC.

I reckon that if you play on PC, you can just use numbers for fast switching.

Also, we did see quick switching as well, possibly "use last weapon" rather than actual quick selection though.

BooJoh

I don't get what's so hard in making Cacodemons RED and not brownish. Is it the lighting or what?

Seriously! The only enemy whose looks I care about and they never get it right. It's iconic. It's not that hard. Red with green and blue fireballs and blue blood. And don't make them explode and disintegrate when they die.

Maybe because they're not Cacodemons.

hvso2wt.jpg

Two horns, one eye, arms hanging down, brown skin.

They're Beholders.

bathsalts

Old school FPS.

Something isn't right.

Its clearly a concession that has to be made for controllers, you can hit 1-7 on a keyboard obviously, the other solution to weapon wheels for controller is far more insidious, only holding 2 guns

DrSlek

This game is going to get very poor reviews. Looks so by the numbers and borrows too many elements from other games that everybody is already tired of.

I think another DOOM game would be nice....however this isn't it, for me.

Verger

Banned
I'm just curious how do you make a "modern" version of DOOM?

I can't think of any other way other than what they've shown us. I mean, if it looks generic or "by the numbers", well, that is DOOM. How do you modernize that? Other than making a completely brainless Multiplayer style game of first person battles.

I think what they showed was perfectly fine and I'm sure as they continue to demo the game we'll get better impressions on how it actually plays.

theecakee

Looked pretty good, solid shooter it seems. I expect it to be a lot how Wolfenstein was, what seemed like a typical shooter but actual did it really well.

Just not hoping for another RAGE

Were those impressions from a different game last year? He stood in the same spot for 4 minutes and took down wave after wave of terrible looking enemies. What the fuck was up with that Mancubus?!

Wat

Having never played a Doom game before, this looks like freaking loads of fun! All of the multiplayer and co-op elements make the game look a bit like Halo 3 with giblets and demons. I was kind of meh about it going into the conference, but now I'm super hyped to play it!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Brutal Doom is probably the closest you can get, though that's literally using Doom's old assets. Plus it's got it's own little unnecessary touches that can easily detract from the experience.

Seyavesh

why are the players not running in these videos
you.. you know that the original doom has a "walking" speed that's set on by default, right? (you need to enable "always run" in the options)

the third video is the only one where the guy is moving at actual doomspeed and he keeps pausing for some reason

Lernaean

Banned
Idk what some of you guys are talking about. This is better than I expected tbh.
I see only 2 flaws, both minor.
One is the speed. It's far from slow (that hyperbole), but would like it a bit faster.
The other is the executions. I think the animations are limited and it might grow old fast.
Game is dope though.

drotahorror

Thought this was suppose to have like, semi realistic bullet damage and whatnot. Nope, just enemies exploding into strange looking gibs. Would be much cooler to see a shotgun blast to the shoulder take off an arm and a chunk of their chest. But they went straight comedy PG13 type shit.

Game does look fun though.

I need to try this before I can say if I like it or not, trailers are dumb in general

Wolf the new order was kick ass so I think they can pull this one off (same studios right ?)

DOG3NZAKA

Banned
Old school FPS.

Something isn't right.

So the inclusion of any kind of modern day convention, even one, no matter how small, is a bad thing?

It looks cool and gives you a second to make an informed decision, even in the heat of battle. Hardly anything that tarnishes the nostalgia

Verger

Banned
Honestly though, I don't see how this looks any different than Doom 3 aside from the number of enemies and the kill sequences.

But then again I liked Doom 3, and I liked how dark it was. Too much light in this demo stage.

I can't think of any other way other than what they've shown us. I mean, if it looks generic or "by the numbers", well, that is DOOM. How do you modernize that? Other than making a completely brainless Multiplayer style game of first person battles.

I think what they showed was perfectly fine and I'm sure as they continue to demo the game we'll get better impressions on how it actually plays.

Ridiculously fast movement in all directions, a lot of enemies, and good level design to go with it. I'm not saying it needs to have dumb keycards, but it's not just a linear progression of corridors. Nothing about this game resembles Doom or Doom 2 other than like, it has guns and imps.

I can't argue there. Happens every, single, time.

I think it looks great as well. I am stoked!

This thread made it super easy to tell which people played the original MS-DOS Doom and which people didn't. I think this is about as perfect as a modern Doom is going to be. If you're comparing it to Brutal Doom or any of the mods... you're not asking for Doom.

eshwaaz

I'm pleased for the most part with what's been shown, but the plasma rifle sound is incredibly bad - such a weak little chirp. Nothing satisfying or powerful about it.

DOG3NZAKA

Banned
Thought this was suppose to have like, semi realistic bullet damage and whatnot. Nope, just enemies exploding into strange looking gibs. Would be much cooler to see a shotgun blast to the shoulder take off an arm and a chunk of their chest. But they went straight comedy PG13 type shit.

Your guy rips a dead guy's arm off in order to open a door. Your guy rips a dude's skull on half and proceeds to rip half his torso in half afterward with his hands. Oh and every single chainsaw kill. What else could you want in the over the top, gratuitous violence department?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ridiculously fast movement in all directions, a lot of enemies, and good level design to go with it. I'm not saying it needs to have dumb keycards, but it's not just a linear progression of corridors. Nothing about this game resembles Doom or Doom 2 other than like, it has guns and imps.

They showed two levels. The original Doom had the first 4 just littered with linear design with very little enemies.

Or do we not remember?

I am sure they are saving the bigger more diverse stuff for later on, especially since this is till a year out still. A year out.

This thread made it super easy to tell which people played the original MS-DOS Doom and which people didn't. I think this is about as perfect as a modern Doom is going to be. If you're comparing it to Brutal Doom or any of the mods... you're not asking for Doom.

Yep. And even if some elements are similar... isn't it supposed to evolve just a little?

I mean shit, I would have loved to do all of that in the original Doom back in 1993-1994.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So the inclusion of any kind of modern day convention, even one, no matter how small, is a bad thing?

It looks cool and gives you a second to make an informed decision, even in the heat of battle. Hardly anything that tarnishes the nostalgia

Yeah, the weapon wheel is fine. It doesn't really slow down the pace of the game because you're only limited by how long it takes you to pick your new weapon. You don't have to sit through any canned animations or wait for a lift (which happens a ton in OG Doom) or anything like that. If you want back into the action, just let go of the button.

I'm pleased for the most part with what's been shown, but the plasma rifle sound is incredibly bad - such a weak little chirp. Nothing satisfying or powerful about it.

Yeah, that was a big sore spot. The sound design there was bad, and enemy reactions to the weapon were just as bad. The Mancubus in hell had no response to the weapon until it was near dead. I hope they realize that part of the satisfaction and player feedback loop was seeing the monsters flinch and hearing them yowl when they get shot. It's part of how you know you got a good hit.

The rocket launcher's sounds also seemed really piddly.

Brutal Doom plays at a slower pace than vanilla Doom though.

They showed two levels. The original Doom had the first 4 just littered with linear design with very little enemies.

Or do we not remember?

I am sure they are saving the bigger more diverse stuff for later on, especially since this is till a year out still. A year out.

Yep. And even if some elements are similar... isn't it supposed to evolve just a little?

I mean shit, I would have loved to do all of that in the original Doom back in 1993-1994.

Do you really think the game will come anywhere close to Ultra-Violence levels of enemies? Just none of what I saw indicates an understanding of what the old Doom games were other than "gore."

The act of shooting enemies didn't look that impressive honestly. Very little if any effect on the environment, little effect to the enemies before the gib death animation, kinda weak sound design with the thump and crack of guns being lost in a mess of noise (check those auto riles, scust_face.jpg). The movement and pace of encounters looked good, but feedback needs a jolt IMO.

Top Bottom