• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Review Thread - The Fury Road of Shooters

Zaptruder

Banned
And that's how I see UC4 vs Doom. One game has a variety of things it ask the player to do over the course its 12 hours, and maybe they're not all super adrenaline pumping, but they all work in unison to create a varied compelling experience. Like a balanced varied diet! Doom doesn't ask that, its like eating your favorite meal over and over again 3x a day, every day. Yeah, its a great meal...but I dont want to eat it every fuckin day.

fake edit: for my taste, the game would be more replayable if it was much shorter. So by the end of the game, I want to experience it again, instead of feeling like "OK, I think I've had my fill of this for like, ever, now"

Using the food analogy, Doom would be like burgers. Sure, some people might not be that interested in burgers. But if you like burgers, there are plenty of burgers to eat and plenty to choose from. It's one of those meals that are composed of fundamental elements, but can be switched up to provide a great range of experiences.

Of course, they're all similar, because they're burgers - look beyond them and you'll see that there a lot more different types of foods, even among the types that involve carbs, protein, vegetables and sauce.

Which is to say, there's more than enough to enjoy in Doom without it feeling too samey and repetitive, even though its composed of a lot of the same fundamental beats.

antitrop

I have enjoyed Doom for what I played of it, I prefer TNO. I just think its down to a personal preference. As a gamer I have no desire to replay games in order for secrets or unlockables

The game play is excellent for what it does, and is perfect for One to Two hour settings before it gets stale I am glad I did not play full price for it as I have no desire for multiplayer or snap maps. This style of fast paced old school FPS's is perfect every few years but could become stale.

I just think they missed their target market, with Season packs and stuff. Kids have no history with Doom what so ever. A bit like Wolfenstein a bit a cult classic which never sold bucket loads.

TNO is for the people that were there in 1998, praising Half-Life for delivering the genre out of the era of DOOM clones. DOOM 2016 is for the people that wanted the genre to stay in its ways.

Something for everyone.

TNO is for the people that were there in 1998, praising Half-Life for delivering the genre out of the era of DOOM clones. DOOM 2016 is for the people that wanted the genre to stay in its ways.

Something for everyone.

Interesting way of putting it.

HL was a day one game for me. I anticipated it's release for years and when it came, I played it excessively for ages. It defined gaming for me.

That said, for almost two decades I've wished we'd revisit Doom/Quake styles of gameplay.

I never understood why we couldn't have both, and now thanks to this game, we can!

Zaptruder

Banned
Interesting way of putting it.

HL was a day one game for me. I anticipated it's release for years and when it came, I played it excessively for ages. It defined gaming for me.

That said, for almost two decades I've wished we'd revisit Doom/Quake styles of gameplay.

I never understood why we couldn't have both, and now thanks to this game, we can!

Because most video game execs are turds that clog up the plumbing of good, enjoyable video gaming.

Neiteio

This definitely is a GOTY contender.

It just feels funny saying that because it was not on my radar at all prior to last Saturday when GAF's impressions started rolling in.

If I run back through the game with all of my upgrades and abilities on Ultra Nightmare, does it count? Or does that have to be a completely different save?

Demoskinos

I've been going through the campaign super slow since I'm really scouring every inch of every map while on ultra-violence but man I'm having a blast. Glad to see this is getting some good props.

Sotha_Sil

I think what really is driving a lot of the drama regarding your review is how you seemed to enjoy the game,but then docked it points for a multiplayer when the primary product was a single player. How would you have reviewed this game if it had no multiplayer??

Game probably would have reviewed much better if it was SP-only, with the freed up resources going towards expanding the campaign a little longer. While I can sometimes see weighting some parts of a game more than others (I do so with Fallout: New Vegas, praising the amazing design elements and side-stepping the bugs and animations), it's also fair that the reviewer in question reviewed the entirety of the product at hand. Both methods are perfectly valid if supported with substance.

In a perfect world, I would like to see scores split by their MP and SP aspects. I also believe in updating reviews after games are completely patched or GOTY/Ultimate editions are available with DLC/expansions included.

At the end of the day you have to live with that score, not us. You'll know that the game has 92% positive reviews on steam, something few games achieve, and that you were not congruent with those reviews. Do you lack perspective as a reviewer? Was it a bad day? Was DOOM not the particular itch you needed scratched?

LOL. Oh dear, a man has to live with his opinion on a video game. I go against the grain with Uncharted, the series is a 6 or 7 out of 10 at best for me. Do I lack perspective? No. Do people who really enjoy mediocrely-reviewed cult classics like Alpha Protocol lack perspective? No.

If you can't see and understand tangible things, you lack perspective. If your opinion on entertainment media is different than the majority, you simply have a different perspective.

Ixion

Game probably would have reviewed much better if it was SP-only, with the freed up resources going towards expanding the campaign a little longer

Multiplayer and SnapMap were handled by other studios (Certain Affinity and Escalation Studios respectively), so the Campaign already had id Software's full resources.

Wait, I somehow missed this part. You lose me here, JC: The "variety" in UC4 is walking up to an edge and pressing forward and X to auto-platform for like 20 minutes at a time, with the occasional puzzle you solve once and won't have to think about again on subsequent play-throughs, and wonderful firefights that are all too rare. The bulk of your time is spent climbing, though, and that's a fairly mindless affair, carried largely by witty banter and breathtaking vistas.

DOOM repeats its gameplay loop ad nauseum, but it's a FUN loop. I much prefer 20 minutes of enemy waves with a rock-solid gameplay foundation, mixed with intermittent but high-speed exploration, to 20 minutes of climbing linear pathways with the illusion of exploration, punctuated by the occasional firefight, one-off puzzle or vehicle section.

But again, I haven't finished UC4, either. So you're in a better position to say!

So much this. I prefer variety in the possibilities presented by a set of well-designed mechanics. Depth, in other words. Doom has that in spades.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jim Sterling - 9
Jim Sterling said:
id Software knows what it’s best at, and it works on honing that talent to a razor’s edge.

With Doom, id has delivered a highly polished, utterly shameless Hellbound hecatomb that confidently swaggers into the world with gaudy fervor. It’s huge, it’s preposterous, and it’s absolutely bloody majestic.
http://www.thejimquisition.com/doom-review/

Best written review I've seen yet and echoes my own thoughts perfectly

mcz117chief

Jim Sterling - 9

The only thing I don't like about Jim Sterling is that he is mostly just a min/max kind of guy, usually he either calls a game "Complete garbage" or "greatest game of all time" and rarely anything in between. He really made me mad when he gave one of my all time favourite games 3/10 :/ Or maybe he isn't but it just feels that way to me sometimes (or maybe he just review good games and bad games and nothing in between).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The only thing I don't like about Jim Sterling is that he is mostly just a min/max kind of guy, usually he either calls a game "Complete garbage" or "greatest game of all time" and rarely anything in between. He really made me mad when he gave one of my all time favourite games 3/10 :/
I don't always agree with his reviews myself but I find he at least supports his points well.

What game was it BTW?I know he gave Godzilla a 3 and I really enjoyed it as a huge kaiju fan.

mcz117chief

I don't always agree with his reviews myself but I find he at least supports his points well.

What game was it BTW?I know he gave Godzilla a 3 and I really enjoyed it as a huge kaiju fan.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 on PS4, I have around 100 hours in it now and, for the love of God, I can't stop playing it! My favourite PS4 game to date.

Mr Swine

Banned
Well seems that Doom has sold 300k so far on Steam, I hope with the positive reviews and good word of mouth it will sell as well as Wolfenstein The New Order

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Holy crap I had no idea Doom did this!!!

DOOM lava death

tumblr_nojlnmRYea1s28x70o1_500.gif

Cool reference.

Wasn't on my radar to revisit DOOM but these reviews are rock-solid.

Jim Sterling - 9

Great review.

And he perfectly sums up how the game handles story and character:

A narrative does exist, and the Doom Marine’s place in it is masterfully presented – he literally doesn’t care. Communicated through mute animation from the player’s perspective, the nonchalance of Doom‘s destructive protagonist is made quite clear. He’s here to kill, and that’s it.

UAC overseer Samuel Hayden attempts to explain the game’s context and the Marine pushes the exposition screen away. While being told to carefully remove a delicate piece of technology, the Marine opts to smash it to pieces. The politics and backstory can be read at your leisure, but Doom never needed such things. The Marine certainly doesn’t.

What makes Doom‘s campaign so remarkable is that its narrative is surprisingly clever and ties the series’ lore together in inventive ways… all while giving the idea of plot a huge middle finger.

Personally, and no offense at all intended to Uncharted 4, but DOOM is exactly what I needed after finishing that game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Great review.

And he perfectly sums up how the game handles story and character:

Personally, and no offense at all intended to Uncharted 4, but DOOM is exactly what I needed after finishing that game.
Same

I loved both games. They both embody my favorite things about gaming but they come from two very different schools of design and I adored them both. Playing them back to back was a perfect compliment.

Attempting to play both of these at the same time, taking breaks from one another is proving rather difficult.

One is fun from a gameplay standpoint and one is not.
Honestly, I'd recommend finishing Uncharted first. That way you get your full uninterrupted share of the story.

Then afterwards you switch to DOOM's 60fps (I find switching from 60fps to 30fps games jarring), and in a title that focuses on the moment to moment gameplay above all else.

The games really are two ends of a spectrum. And now that I've finished DOOM I've jumped back into Uncharted via Encounter Select, and might dip into some competitive for shits and giggles, with the plan of jumping back into DOOM soon enough to pick up the rest of the secrets and replay a bunch of those arenas for pure kicks.

Neiteio

Honestly, I'd recommend finishing Uncharted first. That way you get your full uninterrupted share of the story.

Then afterwards you switch to DOOM's 60fps (I find switching from 60fps to 30fps games jarring), and in a title that focuses on the moment to moment gameplay above all else.

The games really are two ends of a spectrum. And now that I've finished DOOM I've jumped back into Uncharted via Encounter Select, and might dip into some competitive for shits and giggles, with the plan of jumping back into DOOM soon enough to pick up the rest of the secrets and replay a bunch of those arenas for pure kicks.
I hope I still remember the story so far in UC4 (left off at Ch. 12) once DOOM relaxes its grip on me.

Might force myself to play more UC4 tonight instead of playing more DOOM. But man... I want to keep playing DOOM!

Joaby

Neo Member
I want to start by saying thank you for the review. We can all agree that the multiplayer is bad and uninspired but I think we are disagreeing on how you presented that as an undeniable measurable fact rather than opinion, which at the end of the day that's all it is.
Yeah that one's on me, I'd been on the sauce and worded that poorly.

I think what really is driving a lot of the drama regarding your review is how you seemed to enjoy the game,but then docked it points for a multiplayer when the primary product was a single player. How would you have reviewed this game if it had no multiplayer??
I think SnapMap is a huge tick in its favour to be honest, enough to balance out the MP. I'd hate to see that go. Clearly I didn't like the MP (which is not to say that people who did like it are wrong) but it didn't impact my score at the end of the day.

Now, specifically regarding the campaign. I think a lot of those who partake in this hobby rate games based on whether or not the game delivered what they wanted. I don't have proper gaming lexicon to describe what that is but it's like eating a meal that you were craving for a long time and you got just what you wanted, it "hit the spot." This game delivered to so many people what they have wanted for so very long. Do you know what that means? That means in our incredibly cynical gaming world, gamers received what they want rather than be told what they should want. Contrary to what you think, an ign score of 7.1 does not indicate a good game. It may based on the scoring charts, but we see too many 8.5s and above to give a 7.1 a second look.

Look I've played call of duty until two years ago when I realized that it had become a generic caricature of itself. How COD can get a 9 but a game like doom, dripping in atmosphere, fun gun play, and amazing graphics (especially on PC) is beyond me.

At the end of the day you have to live with that score, not us. You'll know that the game has 92% positive reviews on steam, something few games achieve, and that you were not congruent with those reviews. Do you lack perspective as a reviewer? Was it a bad day? Was DOOM not the particular itch you needed scratched?
I didn't review COD for IGN. There's an image up on reddit right now comparing Scott Lowe's Ghosts review with my Doom review. My own review for Ghosts, on the now defunct Games On Net, described it as a jingoistic mess. But I do think 7.1 is a good score. I think it's appropriate for the text I wrote too. A game I liked but I thought could have been a bit better.

As to living with my review, I'll be ok. I don't think I lack perspective. I think I did a good job. I always do my best. I think that for most people, like the vast, vast majority of people, reviews exist as a purchasing advice system. And I have no obligation to make people want to buy a game, just to share with them my honest views on that game. And for the super hardcore gamers (like myself) reviews are a talking point, a way to form and drive discussion. (edit: That isn't to say that I created a review to court controversy and drive clicks or some shit, but that my review is worded in a way which creates avenues for discussion about the game and the nature of what people want out of a reboot and oh god please don't take this the wrong way) And I think my review accomplishes both of those things. I'm copping a hectic amount of shit for a 7.1 (not any more than others have for much, much higher scores though *cough* 8.8 is a fucking great score *cough*) but it's all part of the process of the discussion.

I'll pose one final question to you: When you finished the campaign, did you feel like you had just played a DOOM game? If yes, that alone deserves it a better score. It's 2016, where we get yearly CODs and assassin's creed, and this was the most fun I've had with a game since I graduated medical school.

Seriously badass fun.

Thank you for reading.
It did feel like a Doom game, but I don't agree with you. I think Wolfenstein TNO was better (although very different). I haven't liked an Assassin's Creed game in years and I only ever play Zombies mode in Black Ops 3.

It's awesome you're enjoying it as much as you are. So many people are, which is epic. I hope it inspires id and Bethesda to do something good with the Quake franchise, and if they fuck up the MP then even a portal to hell won't save them from my wrath. But for now I'm going back to Stellaris or Dark Souls 3.

I'm about 85% through my first playthrough of DOOM and I simply love it. I think I'm on Chapter 10 or 11 of UC4.

Against my better judgement I picked up UC4 even after losing interest in RotTR and QB before reaching the half-way point. I'm finally done with those types of games after having extreme fatigue from the genre.

At this point outside of The Division, Max Payne and Gears is about what I want from a TPS/TP game...pure satisfying action.

Neiteio

All I know is DOOM is ridiculously fun and is why I haven't gone back to UC4 since, like, Friday

Both are great games (and very different games, obviously). But DOOM is just soooooooo fun!

Uncharted 4 with DOOM's gore system think about it

I'm glad I finished Uncharted before I started playing DOOM. I loved Uncharted and couldn't stop, also glad to have experienced it on its own instead of bouncing up and back. Unbelievable short span of time to have U4, DOOM, and Dark Souls 3. 3 easy contenders for GOTY (fall looks great too but more prone to delays, so won't get hopes up)

Man, this dude from IGN that gave Doom a 7.1 is catching some serious shit. Is it that big of a deal? Because he didn't like it 9 or 10 worth doesn't mean someone else can't.

I fucking love Doom. Might be the best shooter I've played in a decade. One dude's opinion isn't changing that, just like any one else's opinion isn't changing his.

Raptor

Uncharted 4 with DOOM's gore system think about it

I'm glad I finished Uncharted before I started playing DOOM. I loved Uncharted and couldn't stop, also glad to have experienced it on its own instead of bouncing up and back. Unbelievable short span of time to have U4, DOOM, and Dark Souls 3. 3 easy contenders for GOTY (fall looks great too but more prone to delays, so won't get hopes up)

TLOU has that kind of gore but ND dont want us to play it in its glory in a full on horde survival mode.

antitrop

All I know is DOOM is ridiculously fun and is why I haven't gone back to UC4 since, like, Friday

Both are great games (and very different games, obviously). But DOOM is just soooooooo fun!
I purposefully forced myself to finish U4 on Thursday night, just so I would be ready for DOOM on Friday.

tesqui

Curious of what Romero or Carmack think of this reboot. I thought I heard Carmack was working on Snap Map before he left.

Top Bottom