• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doomed: How Id Lost its Crown.

Friday, 08 July 2005
Veteran animator Steve Bowler (pictured) got pretty angry when he bought Doom 3. And he’s still a mite agitated…

What was it, 12 years ago, that we first laid eyes on the original, the dark new 3D world that was Doom? Even before that, a select few of us recall with wonder the revival of one of our favorite gaming franchises, in a bold new direction, when Wolfenstein 3D hit the shelves.

For a dozen years Id has been the top dog, the guy to beat, the pater familia to the first-person shooter. It can look back on a legacy of six games, each one an unstoppable sales juggernaut, a technological milestone. You didn’t need to know what the review score was for an Id title. You only knew that you needed to buy it.

But one day, the industry changed. The consumer changed. It’s hard to put one’s finger on it. Maybe it was Counter-Strike. Maybe Unreal Tournament. Something happened to the genre between Quake III and Doom 3, and Id somehow didn’t take it into account. Call it braggadocio, or hubris, but Doom 3 is no longer the top dog in the FPS market.

Yes, it’s upsetting. I tried not to admit it either. But it’s undeniably true.

Some have even argued that Doom 3 is a step backwards in FPS gaming, that even when it hit the shelves we were already years past where it hoped to position itself.

The problem, it seems, lies at the core of where Doom came from, and the hopes we had for Doom 3. It was a tale of gameplay, graphics, and mistakes.

Zombie shuffle

We’re all familiar with the helter-skelter breakneck balls-to-the-wall pace that the original Doom set. So where is it in Doom 3? I can appreciate the slow zombie shuffle as much as the next guy, but when Halo’s Flood race existed years before Doom’s sequel, one has to ask why exactly we’re experiencing only one or two imps at a time.

Obviously, there’s a reason why we don’t have a dozen imps chasing us down a corridor, and I’m inclined to say that it’s because of the graphics engine. So much attention has been paid to rendering a realistic environment that there just isn’t a lot of room left for that many bad guys. This left the guys at Id with a bit of a conundrum: How could they still make the game tense and as terrifying as the originals?

The answer, evidently, is to have shit jump out of the dark at you.

Yes, I jumped. I was scared. And then I got tired. Tired of having secret panels open behind me after I’d already cleared the room of any possible beasts from hell, only to get clawed in the back. Who knew demons were capable of such stealth and chicanery? Hey, maybe I’ll open this door and--surprise!--here’s yet another instant 25 hit points removed from my health because an imp was waiting patiently for me to open a door. This isn’t gaming. This isn’t the Id I know. This is scripted nonsense.

And yet, in the face of such scripted trickery, the A.I. then proceeds to fall flat on its face when given an empty room and a box to hide behind. If it doesn’t have a gun, the A.I. just comes straight at you trying to claw your eyes out. If it does have a gun, it hides behind corners and boxes, but since the game lacks a headshot--something which has become so common in FPSs now that it’s no longer a boastable feature--it takes an implausible amount of time to dispatch them.
Continue...

stonedwal

icon_boohoo.gif

Pimpwerx

Gotta agree with that article. When UE3 was first unveiled, I was like, "that looks sweet....I can't wait to see what Carmack does with his next engine." Now I'm like, "Doom? They still make that?" :lol John Carmack is still far and away my favorite PC dev guy, but iD seems to have fallen off in a big way. Hope they can recoup, but Quack4 looks like more of the same. I'm not brimming with optimism. PEACE.

Mrbob

Quake 4 is a Doom 3 expansion. Look at the pics. I hope it is good. Raven is developing it so it should be. But good god I wish the game could differntiate itself from Doom 3 some more.

Tain

Hope they can recoup, but Quack4 looks like more of the same. I'm not brimming with optimism.

Quake 4 is Raven, not id. I'm optimistic about the multiplayer (Quake 3 on Doom 3's engine, they say), assuming they don't fuck Quake 3 up too much.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
iD fall off track once John thought about go to space. The way Epic has surpassed them, it's apparent he fulfilled his mission because his head is still stuck there

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Pimpwerx said:
Gotta agree with that article. When UE3 was first unveiled, I was like, "that looks sweet....I can't wait to see what Carmack does with his next engine." Now I'm like, "Doom? They still make that?" :lol John Carmack is still far and away my favorite PC dev guy, but iD seems to have fallen off in a big way. Hope they can recoup, but Quack4 looks like more of the same. I'm not brimming with optimism. PEACE.

ID isn't really involved in Quake 4. Despite a lot of bitching, Doom 3 is still pretty much the best-looking game out there right now (right up there with Far Cry and Half-Life 2). Sure, coming games are going to surpass it, but it's still good for what it does. Carmack is the master of game engines for corridor shooters. The reality is that the genre has fallen out of favor as much as anything.

Chiggs

Tain said:
Quake 4 is Raven, not id. I'm optimistic about the multiplayer (Quake 3 on Doom 3's engine, they say), assuming they don't fuck Quake 3 up too much.

I watched the HD trailer on Microsoft.com last night, and I'm extremely excited about the ENTIRE game.

Pimpwerx

Thanks for clarifying that, guys. So there's still hope yet. Carmack and crew need to get cracking on a next-gen engine that blows UE3 out of the water then. PEACE.

id went downhill after QuakeII. Though nothing beats the masterpiece that is Quake, QuakeII was still an excellent title.

QuakeIII was horrible, and DoomIII was a borefest. I haven't bought an id game since QuakeII.

Man, I don't get all the id hate out there. I mean they have made one "dud" game (for them), and suddenly they are toppled? Only produce garbage? You don't have high expectations for any future games from them?

I mean, yeah, Doom 3 isn't id's best game. But even if you consider it their worst, its still a damn sight better than a lot of other games out there. It was still a GOOD game. It just wasn't the second coming, which is what everyone expected it would be.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Cerebral Palsy said:
id went downhill after QuakeII. Though nothing beats the masterpiece that is Quake, QuakeII was still an excellent title.

QuakeIII was horrible, and DoomIII was a borefest. I haven't bought an id game since QuakeII.

Pretty much how i feel. The fact that the single player for doom 3 sucked didnt bother me, it was the fact that MP was a freagin mess. DIdnt like quake 3..it just didnt feel right...why the fuck did they change the rail gun?!?!

SomeDude

Banned
Cerebral Palsy said:

Quake 1 and Quake 2 have been surpassed easily by todays better multiplayer games. I don't get why people still praise quake 1 and 2.

Tony HoTT

Banned
I thought the single player Doom III campaign was better than Half Life 2 for some reason.

Although, I did delete both from my hard drive and never foresee myself wanting to play them again.

Mupepe

Banned
If Quake IV is Quake III on a Doom engine it more than makes up for the borefest that was Doom III. However if it's not, I haven't completely lost faith, these guys have talent and that's been proven. And with next gen around the corner, I'm faithful that they will pull out a good next gen engine and blow us all away.

PEACE

Pimpwerx

Cerebral Palsy said:

W O W

How on earth can anyone possible badmouth Q3A? Best Quake game, hands down. Sorry, this is now part of the American History curriculum for almost every school. Q3A was a close to perfect for DM as any game has come. On other fronts....yeah, it kinda sucked. Single player was just a fucking botfest. PEACE.

FiRez

Pimpwerx said:
W O W

How on earth can anyone possible badmouth Q3A? Best Quake game, hands down. Sorry, this is now part of the American History curriculum for almost every school. Q3A was a close to perfect for DM as any game has come. On other fronts....yeah, it kinda sucked. Single player was just a fucking botfest. PEACE.

UT was better, but Q3A was excellent too (is just that the skirmish modes didn't feel as tight as UT).
The PC gaming scene has never reach that quality peak again around 99-2000.

SomeDude said:
Quake 1 and Quake 2 have been surpassed easily by todays better multiplayer games. I don't get why people still praise quake 1 and 2.

Quake: Team Fortress, and Threewave CTF (two of the best mods ever). Quake DM, CTF/TF had some of the best designed, and most memorable maps ever in a FPS. Great weapons, even if they weren't balanced.

Quake II: Again, Threewave CTF. Same with Quake1 in the map department. Memorable across the board. Also added my favorite FPS weapon ever, the railgun (why did they have to ruin it, and every other weapon in QIII?).

^^^ That is why. Both had excellent communities surrounding them also. The only game since QuakeII I've put a good amount of time into has been Soldier of Fortune2, which had excellent multiplayer. Much better than Counter-Strike IMO. The Unreal Tournaments haven't held my attention, neither have the Battlefields. Half-Life2 has brought nothing new to the table multiplayer wise, and I'm still fucking irate over TF2. Doom3 was a borefest.

Anyway, the only fps I'm really playing at this point is Team Fortress Classic. I need to find my Quake cd and see if anyone is still playing o.g. TF.

ManaByte

Pimpwerx said:
W O W

Maybe because Quake III was a knee-jerk reaction to UT, and still didn't offer the depth and variety in game modes that UT did.

I also enjoyed the Quake III multiplayer experience. Quake I & II were fun for their time, but QIII holds up surprisingly well for a MP deathmatch/CTF game. I'm starting to prefer broader multiplayer games like Halo 2's larger maps and BF2, but QIII's is still the ultimate fast-paced fragfest and a ton of fun with friends.

The other thing that bothers me about the article is how he complains about being bored of hell, metal, gothic architecture, etc. It's like he didn't buy Doom III knowing that there were two games before it.

Mooreberg

id hit their peak in 1997 with Quake II. It was a decent single player game at the time and the multiplayer couldn't be beat. A year later Half-Life basically made id's single player efforts look laughable, and a fair share of people feel Unreal Tournament has always been better than Quake 3 Arena. Doom III was a dissapointment for me because the single player was boring and the multiplayer was 1996 gameplay with 2004 graphics. Carmack is still among the best when it comes to making graphics engines, but Epic has managed to leapfrog them with UE3 and has timed it in a way that they're going to reap the benefits of the shift to next gen systems. On top of that, Prey is the only game I can think of that uses the Doom III engine that isn't based on an id IP (meaning not a Doom 3 expansion, or something set in the Quake universe).

Mrbob said:
Quake 4 is a Doom 3 expansion. Look at the pics. I hope it is good. Raven is developing it so it should be. But good god I wish the game could differntiate itself from Doom 3 some more.

I thought the same thing, but after watching the trailer last night I am much more interested in the game. If you haven't watched it, check it out over on IGN or wherever.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
UT fucking sucks.

UT 2K3 fucking sucks.

UT 2K4 rocked.

Q3A > UT2K4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UT and UT2K3

Truth? Yes.

Modes do not make a great game and UT and UT2k3 are proof of that.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
DopeyFish said:

I know this is a redundant question, but I gotta ask it: what kinda crackpipe have you been smoking to think that Q3A could be better than UT, let alone UT2k4? :lol

Pimpwerx

DopeyFish said:
UT fucking sucks.

UT 2K3 fucking sucks.

UT 2K4 rocked.

Truth? Yes.

Modes do not make a great game and UT and UT2k3 are proof of that.
Damn skippy. Tell this man what he's won. :) PEACE.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Quake 2 Rocket Arena was by far the greatest, most balanced mode in any game ever. When I was playing over the summer when high school was out I would average something like 100 hours per week on CLQ rankings. It was crazy. (actually got to #2 on the CLQ for 2 straight weeks :D)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Sp3eD said:
Quake 2 Rocket Arena was by far the greatest, most balanced mode in any game ever. When I was playing over the summer when high school was out I would average something like 100 hours per week on CLQ rankings. It was crazy. (actually got to #2 on the CLQ for 2 straight weeks :D)

Q3RA is even better too.

Q2RA was good when they removed the damned BFG. Godly. Rocket Arena = Deathmatch sex.

Tain

Maybe because Quake III was a knee-jerk reaction to UT, and still didn't offer the depth and variety in game modes that UT did.

I know this is a redundant question, but I gotta ask it: what kinda crackpipe have you been smoking to think that Q3A could be better than UT, let alone UT2k4?

Playing Unreal Tournament after playing Q3A feels like playing DOA after VF4.

Well, not quite. Unreal Tournament is slower paced, and has some excellent teamplay modes, but I wouldn't play deathmatch in the original UT for the life of me. The recent games are improvements, but they still don't touch Threewave Quake 3 or OSP Quake 3.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
DopeyFish said:
Q3RA is even better too.

Q2RA was good when they removed the damned BFG. Godly. Rocket Arena = Deathmatch sex.

BFG10K was always turned off on every map. Either the admin changed the starting cfg files, or people on the map voted it in (which was really rare as everybody hated it).

Still the multi-arena's were a thing of beauty. So awesome in Q2 at least because nobody had done such a thing before. It worked so freaking well that I wish they added some gametypes in new games that took advantage of that. Gave it such variety.

"Playing Unreal Tournament after playing Q3A feels like playing DOA after VF4."

I'm afraid you've got that sorely backwards. Q3A was always flashy with no substance. A game of who could get the rockets fastest. The slow pace of UT meant you actually had to *aim*.

Tain

I'm afraid you've got that sorely backwards. Q3A was always flashy with no substance. A game of who could get the rockets fastest. The slow pace of UT meant you actually had to *aim*.

Unreal Tournament has some of the most gimmicky maps I've seen in an FPS, and the weapons weren't much better.

Even if we're talking about simple baseq3 as opposed to OSP or Threewave, you still have a chance of survival with *every* weapon in Q3A. Yes, even the chaingun. Part of this is due to the movement of the players. In UT, if you are caught in a room facing a wound up rocket launcher with dual enforcers, you are done.

No doubt that the rocket launcher is used the most (mostly for transportation, in RA, OSP and Threewave), but you will simply suck without using rail, plasma, rocket, lighting, and even grenade, all very often. Hell, I can't play Rocket Arena without binding everything surrounding WASD to individual weapons.

"In UT, if you are caught in a room facing a wound up rocket launcher with dual enforcers, you are done."

This is *so* inaccurate given the tiny splash damage radius of rocket launchers and slow speed of said rockets. Hell, the Plasma Rifle's an *insanely* more dangerous weapon, flak cannon, so on so forth. The rocket launcher's nice, but it's *so* far from the end all be all that it is in Q3. Edit: And Dual-enforcers can take out quite a bit.

Yusaku

I laughed my ass off when I read that. Is this what the new Next-Gen is about? Reposting innane message board rants from 10 months ago? I was sick of reading that shit the day the game was released.

Tain

This is *so* inaccurate given the tiny splash damage radius of rocket launchers and slow speed of said rockets. Hell, the Plasma Rifle's an *insanely* more dangerous weapon, flak cannon, so on so forth. The rocket launcher's nice, but it's *so* far from the end all be all that it is in Q3.

I wasn't saying that the rocket launcher was king in UT; just that there tend to be situations where a player is out-and-out screwed in UT where I've never had to complain about that in Quake. It isn't even a weapons thing as much as it is player movement and map design. That is another thing about UT that I didn't like, though; the blast radius is seemingly inconsistent. That's probably just a matter of me getting used to it, though.

And again, watch high-level matches of Threewave. The rocket launcher is the primary weapon, but the other weapons are still a necessity.

"And again, watch high-level matches of Threewave. The rocket launcher is the primary weapon, but the other weapons are still a necessity."

And there's none of that in high level UT play, each weapon is as deadly as the other.

Top Bottom