• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doomed: How Id Lost its Crown.

ID

lost its backbone when american and romero left

those 2 had a hand in some of the more memorable designs

clearly a example of a something being greater than the sum of its parts (er staff)

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I must admit....ut 2004 is the closest thing to quake 2 for me right now. The Shock rifle is an amazing thing. I have no hopes for quake 4 :(

gigapower

DopeyFish said:
UT fucking sucks.

UT 2K3 fucking sucks.

UT 2K4 rocked.

Q3A > UT2K4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UT and UT2K3

Truth? Yes.

Modes do not make a great game and UT and UT2k3 are proof of that.

Agreed. And Mana how can Quake III be considered a knee jerk reaction to UT? Quake III premeired way before we saw anything about UT, if anything UT is the copy.

Zer0

Banned
DopeyFish said:
UT fucking sucks.

UT 2K3 fucking sucks.

UT 2K4 rocked.

Q3A > UT2K4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UT and UT2K3

Truth? Yes.

Modes do not make a great game and UT and UT2k3 are proof of that.

not even in your wildest dreams

the same game with a new engine do no make a great game..just praises from ID zealots

lexi

Banned
I enjoyed both Q3A and UT but anyone who thinks UT isn't clearly the better game is kidding themselves.

pestul

UT sniper mod alone absolutely destroyed any interest I had in Q3A... I didn't even have time to get into instagib, which is arguably better than Q3A as well.

I agree with the article that Doom III sucked and pretty much for the same reasons the article states

do I think ID has totally lost it, no it's just one bad game, hopefully the next one they do will be better

but seriously Doom III was such ass, to me it felt so different than doom and doom2 and everything else out there doom related, there was just way too much focus on the 3d engine and not on the game itself, it really just came off as a really long tech demo to me, than a fully thought out and focused on the gaming experience game

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Zer0 said:

the same game with a new engine do no make a great game..just praises from ID zealots

Gaming styles of Quake 2 and Quake 3 are quite different. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.

SomeDude

Banned
Uh, does this q3 vs ut99 stuff still matter? Aren't both games pretty much dead?

Ut2004 and Halo 2 is where its at imo...

goodcow

Shin Johnpv said:
but seriously Doom III was such ass, to me it felt so different than doom and doom2 and everything else out there doom related, there was just way too much focus on the 3d engine and not on the game itself, it really just came off as a really long tech demo to me, than a fully thought out and focused on the gaming experience game

romero.gif

"Fuck yeah! Suck it down!"

Zer0

Banned
DopeyFish said:
Gaming styles of Quake 2 and Quake 3 are quite different. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.

yeah..deathmatch was A LOT DIFFERENT from deathmatch

COCKLES

being watched
Well this is where the next-gen should really shine. High detail PC Doom 3 graphics quality but with shitloads more on screen. 15-30 imps classique style rather then one or two cheap teleport in bastards.

Zer0 said:

What the fuck? UT is the definition of recycling games with new engines.

It's worth mentioning that I love UT2K4 though. Unfortunately that game is almost as dead as Q3A.

QW and Q2 still had the greatest mods. Paintball/Digital Paint and qPong for life!

Zer0

Banned
Mister Zimbu said:
What the fuck? UT is the definition of recycling games with new engines.

were talking bout UT 99 quake3

and about 2004 being dead...just try some RED ORCHESTRA and come back to tell me

ID lose is crown a long time ago

Zer0 said:
were talking bout UT 99 quake3

and about 2004 being dead...just try some RED ORCHESTRA and come back to tell me

ID lose is crown a long time ago

Already did. That mod was horrible. AQ2, Urban Terror were much better.

UT2K4's dead because noone plays it, period.

Zer0

Banned
Mister Zimbu said:
Already did. That mod was horrible. AQ2, Urban Terror were much better.

UT2K4's dead because noone plays it, period.

red orchestra its horrible? sure rolleyes

you have a extremely bad taste.period

Kewk

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Q3A was surpassed when it was released. The far superior UT showed Q3A for what it was, a shoddy, pisspoor attempt at good DM.

lol all the professional high paying tournaments were on Quake 3. It wasn't until Q3 started to fade it when UT had a big money tourney. Ever been to a lan party where all they played was Q3? I'm sure they are out there but in So Cal when there was 10+ big lan parties every weekend absolutely none of them played UT. All Q3.

"lol all the professional high paying tournaments were on Quake 3. It wasn't until Q3 started to fade it when UT had a big money tourney. Ever been to a lan party where all they played was Q3? I'm sure they are out there but in So Cal when there was 10+ big lan parties every weekend absolutely none of them played UT. All Q3."

A bunch of douchebags playing it doesn't make one game better than the other.

Borys

Banned
I had and still have more fun with Q3A than with any of UT incarnations or previous Quakes.

Besides:

Q]|[A Railgun > UT sniper rifle

Kewk

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"lol all the professional high paying tournaments were on Quake 3. It wasn't until Q3 started to fade it when UT had a big money tourney. Ever been to a lan party where all they played was Q3? I'm sure they are out there but in So Cal when there was 10+ big lan parties every weekend absolutely none of them played UT. All Q3."

A bunch of douchebags playing it doesn't make one game better than the other.

ooohh I see thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea it was the people who didn't play the games who decided which was better. Damn you got me!

/boggle

COCKLES

being watched
Quake II was the ultimate in deathmatch.

Loki's Minions 32 player CTF over those huge maps with grapples.
Chaos DM
64 Player DM maps

" I had no idea it was the people who didn't play the games who decided which was better. Damn you got me! "

Apparently, school didn't. Read my post again and try to figure out what I meant. That's your homework assignment.

Top Bottom