• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 |OT| Pawnworld

Draugoth

Gold Member
GJdu5qwXoAASG7A

SCB3

You’re not the only to say this lol
Least its not only me not reading haha, for some reason I misread it as you and 1 pawn and you can send others out

I will say, the combat is very arcadey as a Fighter, its fun though, but playing Elden Ring recently has messed my left and rights up for blocks

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am still playing as the fighter class. The skills you get a pretty OP for latching on to ogres and finishing them off. I forget what its called but it lets you hang on to them and plunge in the sword multiple times doing massive damage without using much of the stamina bar. It can also finish off enemies in one hit after they get stunned by simply impaling them 5-10 times until their health depletes.

I just hit level 6 with it and no more need to worry about weight. That was by far the most annoying part of the game.

Whats worse is that a quest just gave me a ring for increasing weight limit and i found that a shop keeper at the capital offers a ring for just $5k as well.

Kacho

I am still playing as the fighter class. The skills you get a pretty OP for latching on to ogres and finishing them off. I forget what its called but it lets you hang on to them and plunge in the sword multiple times doing massive damage without using much of the stamina bar. It can also finish off enemies in one hit after they get stunned by simply impaling them 5-10 times until their health depletes.

I just hit level 6 with it and no more need to worry about weight. That was by far the most annoying part of the game.

Whats worse is that a quest just gave me a ring for increasing weight limit and i found that a shop keeper at the capital offers a ring for just $5k as well.
Look for golden beetles on trees. Consuming them will permanently increase your carrying capacity.

SCB3

I think I've just fucked myself here, I need to get to Merle but because I took the Oxcart ride away it didn't fill in the map, I ended up going what I thought was the way

U6TKc7O.png

But now I can't actually get to the town from where I am, so I either have to backtrack through fucking Lizardmen town and hope I can get back there or try and somehow get to Merle from where I am

On the plus side, I took out a big Troll with 3 life bars, hell of a fight though

Varteras

Gold Member
Haven't picked the game up yet but after seeing all these Twitter posts and what you guys have said, this is going on my list. Still playing a lot of Helldivers and Final Fantasy for now. This game just looks like such an experience.

Thaimasker

For me I think I would be enjoying the combat more if it was a lot harder. I never get the feeling that I'm in a place I'm not strong enough for, or fighting a beast that I'm ill prepared to face. Ya dig?

I get why the game appeals to some people. It's a playground. A playground where random things can happen, and the way you can interact with the world can lead to encounters with enemies to sometimes progress differently than the last. I do get it, it isn't lost on me. But that challenge and sense of accomplishment is missing for me. I never once had a 'Fuck yeah!" moment for anything I killed. And I had those moments in DD1 a decade ago when I played it.
I'm feeling the same tbh. The game has so many hardcore mechanics but the combat really is leaving a lot to be desired. More enemy variety would help too.

I think I've just fucked myself here, I need to get to Merle but because I took the Oxcart ride away it didn't fill in the map, I ended up going what I thought was the way

U6TKc7O.png

But now I can't actually get to the town from where I am, so I either have to backtrack through fucking Lizardmen town and hope I can get back there or try and somehow get to Merle from where I am

On the plus side, I took out a big Troll with 3 life bars, hell of a fight though
I spent a few hours trying to do the same. Ended up going back and taking the east road. You can also ride the Ox cart at the city back to Melve.

DD1 music is superior to DD2 music. Switch to DD1 music asap. DD2 Imminent Triumph is so tame in comparison. Almost too quiet IMO. Lacks that OOMPH.
The first game's OST definitely goes super hard for no reason, I think it's because they mixed orchestral with electric guitars, that's what's mainly missing from the new end of the struggle, the vocals are also more smooth instead of full of vim; most of the new OST is this way, but I'm not going to switch until finishing the game, there's definitely some great tracks in there, and I don't want to miss any just cause I switched from the start, that would be a disservice.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The first game's OST definitely goes super hard for no reason, I think it's because they mixed orchestral with electric guitars, that's what's mainly missing from the new end of the struggle, the vocals are also more smooth instead of full of vim; most of the new OST is this way, but I'm not going to switch until finishing the game, there's definitely some great tracks in there, and I don't want to miss any just cause I switched from the start, that would be a disservice.
I think you still hear most of the new music. Just iconic ones like Griffin theme, Chimaera theme, Imminent Triumph play instead of the DD2 versions.

I'd love to compare contrast but no vids of the new OST seem to be out atm.

I'd love to compare contrast but no vids of the new OST seem to be out atm.
From what I can tell, end of the struggle/imminent triumph is missing the electric guitar, the wild drums and the second pair of vocals are a bit tucked away instead of being right up there with the brass.

Karak

It is far more classical and subdued here as well as a number of sitback tracks.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
From what I can tell, end of the struggle/imminent triumph is missing the electric guitar, the wild drums and the second pair of vocals are a bit tucked away instead of being right up there with the brass.
Yeah it lacks the guitar and the vocals feel muffled at times. I dunno somehow the DD1 OST tracks make the overall game feel more complete. I like the old menu sounds too. Might just be my preference.

I'm hoping some of the new boss monsters have some memorable tracks.

Much earlier in the thread people were complaining about lack of enemy types and I feel like that's just completely untrue. You have:

Bandits(Melee, Ranged Magic)
Skeletons
Goblins(including subtypes)
Griffin
Minotaur
Dragons
Saurians(with subtypes)
Wights
Liches
Chimaeras
Slimes
Medusa(Gorgons)
Harpies
Phantoms
Ogres
Cyclops
Zombies
Leapworms
Wolves

And quite a few more.

What I really like is over time the enemies bodies start to decay and some corpses actually are already dead in caves usually meaning Slimes got to them since I've encountered Slimes at campsites or in caves. Really cool stuff.

Rna6

Neo Member
Arisen + main pawn seems like the best thing to do if you want some challenge in this game. Was it the same thing with the first DD?

Karak

For those with difficulty "easy
Yeah it lacks the guitar and the vocals feel muffled at times. I dunno somehow the DD1 OST tracks make the overall game feel more complete. I like the old menu sounds too. Might just be my preference.

I'm hoping some of the new boss monsters have some memorable tracks.

Much earlier in the thread people were complaining about lack of enemy types and I feel like that's just completely untrue. You have:

Bandits(Melee, Ranged Magic)
Skeletons
Goblins(including subtypes)
Griffin
Minotaur
Dragons
Saurians(with subtypes)
Wights
Liches
Chimaeras
Slimes
Medusa(Gorgons)
Harpies
Phantoms
Ogres
Cyclops
Zombies
Leapworms
Wolves

And quite a few more.

What I really like is over time the enemies bodies start to decay and some corpses actually are already dead in caves usually meaning Slimes got to them since I've encountered Slimes at campsites or in caves. Really cool stuff.
Haven't checked many vids or posts about it but there are...a good deal of enemies, there is also a progressive diff bump depending on when you go to later areas. But every game always seems to have those discussions and its fair. Lack of enemies? Maybe a bit less so.

Arisen + main pawn seems like the best thing to do if you want some challenge in this game. Was it the same thing with the first DD?
no in the first game you would go solo, since there were augments that only worked solo, they would make you really strong, but without skills like instant reset, you'd be susceptible to be torn apart by even wolves.

KàIRóS

I'm having such a blast exploring and finding stuff on my own in the open world that I just realized I haven't moved the story forward since getting to Vernworth, this guy Brant is probably pissed AF about the Arisen not showing up for weeks at the bar now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

'it’s so validating to see people finally “get” dragons dogma. this was such a cult title for the last decade.'

it's weird how so many of the awed & delighted observations on this topic resemble the exact same awed & delighted observations that the original game inspired. was the original just so ahead of its time, as far as random/spontaneous events & wacky combat, that it was just too much for many people?...

anyway, yeah, it is very nice to see it being appreciated. getting more'n'more convinced to dive in myself (despite the fact that it all sounds so incredibly familiar)...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm having such a blast exploring and finding stuff on my own in the open world that I just realized I haven't moved the story forward since getting to Vernworth, this guy Brant is probably pissed AF about the Arisen not showing up for weeks at the bar now :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Only did the first part of Monster Culling and I'm just exploring everything. It's very much like an early 2000's MMO where you set your own goals and each one is a journey. Waterfall Cave was a trip.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I was casually exploring some woods when I heard a weird noise. I thought it was a cyclops, but nope.

I get slammed against a tree and turn to see a Minotaur. It killed my entire party except for me. I managed to pick up the pawns and head back to a bridge I remember up the trail.

After perfectly blocking its charge (which I was surprised it worked) I managed to make it fall off the bridge. Missed out on the loot, but damn was it intense. I maybe could have killed it normally if I was prepared, but as I was there was no chance.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yes. Removing pawns for more challenge. I remember discovering this in the demo after I played it so many time. You had to throw the pawns off a cliff to kill them and try to solo the griffin.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Yeah the game’s music has no personality. It just your run of the mill classic medieval type music. I find this very surprising because DD1’s soundtrack had such a unique feel to it. The guitar, chimes and bell tolls from that game were so memorable.

I also wish there was some level of ambient music when exploring dungeons/caves, at least I haven’t noticed so far. I actually do hate to bring up ER again, but I loved how the ambient music in caves, mines and tunnels in that game invoked such a feeling isolation, stress, and being deep beneath the cold earth:

DD2’s style of music makes me think about that recent interview by Uematsu about modern video game music being boring.

“Game music will become more interesting if composers consider ‘What is something only I can do?’ and use their own knowledge and experience to be truly creative. Reach deep down inside yourself to find aspects unique to you and then expressing them”

I think the composer for DD1 achieved this.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I’ve completely stopped playing this on PS5. Against my better judgement I gave in a purchased it day one. This is on me and I’m disappointed with myself.

Will wait a month or so for patches to fix the horrific frame drops and wait for a 30 fps cap at the very least. Just lolz.

rofif

Banned
Yeah, and I loved it on the 360 as well. I didn't own this OLED though, so maybe Blighttown would have sent me if I did lol
I don’t think oleds existed back then!
Oleds are fine for 30. People are talking out their ass. Sure lcd is more blurry in motion and it helps but if game got motion blur, oled is great

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Friend convinced me to reinstall. Gave me 10 tips to enjoy the game more and told me to change to thief.

Before I could even really enjoy the game it crashed 3 times in about 20 minutes. With official capcom report pop up coming up to report the crash.

Unsure what happened cuz on launch I had 0 crashes.

I turned dlss to auto now and shadows to medium to see if it helps at all. :/

This game is really fighting me lol.

DavidGzz

I don’t think oleds existed back then!
Oleds are fine for 30. People are talking out their ass. Sure lcd is more blurry in motion and it helps but if game got motion blur, oled is great

Well I guess DS in PS5 doesn't have motion blur cause that was putrid.

ajanke

How am I like 8 hours in and still haven't found any armor lol. I gotta buy it? I haven't looked bc I bought a house haha.

DavidGzz

I didn't want to, but I ended up installing a no item weight mod I found on NexusMods. No regrets.

Since day 2 I've had a no encumbrance mod. Fuck it. I couldn't find one that was for item weight only so I feel a little cheesy but that first day I was having to either weigh the whole group down or go back to town to sell or deposit. I also increased the overall speed of the game by 10%. The warrior doesn't feel as sluggish to play now.

Top Bottom