• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 |OT| Pawnworld

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I sold my clothes and now I’m regretting it. I can find one set but I sold my mask. lol how irritating. What was fun was seeing enemies inside the city. One of the cyclops was just chilling there and then everyone decided to jump in. Capcom needs to work with AI for their NPC tech.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah that phrase keeps being used but I haven't seen any particularly special "emergent gameplay" here.
Npcs attacking enemies, enemies attacking each other, ragdoll and physics creating funny moment, etc.

It's stuff that is present in a lot of open worlds like ac games, fc games, horizon, watch dogs, bethesda games, pirahna bite games, just cause games, rockstar games, etc.

In the past years with the boom of gamers making funny viral clips on tiktok, people forgot that many old games had emergent gameplay in abundance even if they were not clipped for social medias.

This is why you don't trust media, they have extremely short memory.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I don't know man...getting in a cart to fast travel and being intrerupted halfway through the ride by an ogre attack and a pack of goblins,dispatching them then as soon as you get back into the cart getting ambushed from the bushes by a charging minotaur destroying the cart in the process seems pretty emergent to me and I've yet to see some shit like this happen in any other game.

That literally happens every time I ride the ox cart. We constantly get attacked by a variety of enemies, yes including an ogre. I'm 40 hours into the game, well into the desert, and I'm still running into the same enemies. I fought Goblins, Harpies, Sauriens, and Wolves in the first hour of the game, I'm fighting Goblins, Harpies, Sauriens and Wolves now. In terms of big enemies, again I'm running into the same enemies as I did at the beginning of the game. It hit me today that the enemy variety is pretty poor in this game, and it tries to remain fresh because of the dynamic encounters, but it's dynamic and emergent gameplay can only go so far with me if there's not much variety.

DD2 might have the best open world ever when it comes to it's level design, it's just so fun to explore.

I think I have like 15 ferrystones or more, I just refuse to fast travel lol.

Yeah I just don't feel this. Most of the game looks the same, it's either grasslands, forests, or a desert. There's one tiny section that's a misty swamp, so cool. But there's really not much variety when it comes to environments. Almost all of the optional "dungeons" are caves with the exact same earthy brown aesthetic. Where's the crypts, catacombs, ruins, icy caverns, mines, spider caves, underwater lakes, dungeons, etc etc. I'm just spitballing examples of variety.

I feel like when people talk about how great the exploration in this game is, I wonder if they mean they just love walking around it and seeing the sights. If that's the case then cool, it's not what I look for in an open world, but different opinions and all that. But most of the exploration in this game is filled with backtracking the same areas over and over and over again, killing the same packs of enemies over and over and over again. Killing a Troll or a Drake isn't so exciting for me when I'm doing it for the 30th time.

Mossybrew

It's stuff that is present in a lot of open worlds, even in the most hated ones like ac games, fc games, horizon, watch dogs, bethesda games, pirahna bite games etc.
Yeah, it's a part of these open world games I do enjoy, I just don't think DD2 does this aspect any better than like, Far Cry for example.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
That's just a random encounter though, that kind of stuff is in all kinds of games. Because you or your cart can randomly be attacked by enemies that's suddenly "emergent" gameplay? I'm starting to think it's kind of a meaningless term.
A "random encounter" isn't emergent gameplay, emergent gameplay is when the game allows things to happen that aren't scripted, most games actually don't have this, it's just you vs the world in preset ways even if you encounter things randomly.
Like in my previous example where I had a pack of wolves tear a chimera apart, they weren't part of the chimera encounter, in fact they were chasing something else and happened to stumble into my fight, and because I was using the trickster class I could turn them against the chimera; it changed the entire dynamic of the encounter and it just happened because it can, that's emergent gameplay.

FeralEcho

That literally happens every time I ride the ox cart. We constantly get attacked by a variety of enemies, yes including an ogre. I'm 40 hours into the game, well into the desert, and I'm still running into the same enemies. I fought Goblins, Harpies, Sauriens, and Wolves in the first hour of the game, I'm fighting Goblins, Harpies, Sauriens and Wolves now. In terms of big enemies, again I'm running into the same enemies as I did at the beginning of the game. It hit me today that the enemy variety is pretty poor in this game, and it tries to remain fresh because of the dynamic encounters, but it's dynamic and emergent gameplay can only go so far with me if there's not much variety.

Yeah I just don't feel this. Most of the game looks the same, it's either grasslands, forests, or a desert. There's one tiny section that's a misty swamp, so cool. But there's really not much variety when it comes to environments. Almost all of the optional "dungeons" are caves with the exact same earthy brown aesthetic. Where's the crypts, catacombs, ruins, icy caverns, mines, spider caves, underwater lakes, dungeons, etc etc. I'm just spitballing examples of variety.

I feel like when people talk about how great the exploration in this game is, I wonder if they mean they just love walking around it and seeing the sights. If that's the case then cool, it's not what I look for in an open world, but different opinions and all that. But most of the exploration in this game is filled with backtracking the same areas over and over and over again, killing the same packs of enemies over and over and over again. Killing a Troll or a Drake isn't so exciting for me when I'm doing it for the 30th time.
Sounds like the game is just not for you and that's fine,but for people who loved the first Dragon's Dogma and enjoy just being present in an amazingly well crafted world,this game is a dream come true.

IAmRei

Its like real world for me, but in other world. Like we are doing some routine. I'm roleplaying as a man who works as "highway guard" : )) but yeah, might be boring for some. But its a feel that i tried to find in other open world, and only see DDDA and DD2 who have this kind of feeling. Each to their own. Maybe they will do something in next update, who knows...

Madflavor

Its like real world for me, but in other world. Like we are doing some routine. I'm roleplaying as a man who works as "highway guard" : )) but yeah, might be boring for some. But its a feel that i tried to find in other open world, and only see DDDA and DD2 who have this kind of feeling. Each to their own. Maybe they will do something in next update, who knows...

I loved Bitterblack Isle in DA, so I’d be down if they do something like that.

Comandr

Started NG++ last night. Messed up some quests and decided just to blast through the story.

Went through my first playthrough completely vanilla. Now using a run speed mod and it’s life changing.

Feels like there is still so much to do and explore. Looking at my NPC list, quite a few I haven’t met yet. A number of my pawn’s monster medals are still ???, yet my encounter list is preeeeetttyy long. The people complaining about lack of monster variety have clearly not gotten very far into the game.

That’s not to say that the goblin/variants aren’t over abundant. I respect the fact that the world of DD is a pretty grounded fantasy world, and I can see how goblins would be a very common enemy type.

Dwarven forging was a holy shit moment for me.

Some of the puzzle dungeons have been really fun/interesting. I loved the one full of locked gates.

Can’t believe one of the first dungeons you can find in the game has the two bosses it does in there. The saurians kicked my ass left right and sideways my first run through. No fuckin way I could have done the rest of that place at the time.

I loved Bitterblack Isle in DA, so I’d be down if they do something like that.
Given what the game essentially spells out for you, I think that such a thing is all but guaranteed at this point.

Last edited:

Bry0

I am under the impression reviews might have overhyped it a little, players impressions do not seem to be as glowing as those 10/10
Imo this game is like the STALKER of fantasy RPGs. The game has a ton of “friction” built into it on purpose and it feels entirely intentional in its design. You are expected to manage resources, plan ahead, and try to be ready for anything because it’s a dangerous world. They don’t tell you too much in purpose because that’s what pawns are for.

I’m not surprised some people don’t like it if they were just expecting to fast travel around like it’s Skyrim. DD1 was not exactly hugely popular so I think a lot of people picked up dd2 not realizing what they were getting into. It’s not a game for everybody but there are definitely certain types of people like me that I think love this type of stuff. I think ACG did a good job bringing that up in his review at least.

Comandr

You just doing NG+ or did you tackle Unmoored World yet.
First play through I did the unmoored world but apparently missed some people cuz I didn’t get all of the achievements. I only evacuated the elves, battahl, and vernworth. Totally forgot about the gigantus and flat out did not know about some other people so I want to check on them. Decided to just take the blue pill the second time. Now I’m going to be really thorough this run.

FeralEcho

I still don’t understand why it was this game of all of Capcom’s recent games, that caught shit for this. I hate MTX but there’s nothing predatory about these ones.
Yup,It's literally the same exact style of mtx that DMC5 and RE2/3/4 had only instead of a map to hidden extra treasures it's a polycrystal,instead of 5 blue orbs it's 5 wakestones etc.

People just love to be drama queens these days.

DeaDPo0L84

Played about an hour last night on PC. Downloaded a couple QoL mods like no carry weight, items sell for more, no stamina loss out of combat, easily able to purchase fast travel stones or whatever, nothing too game breaking. Followed a guide on how to make my arisen look like Geralt, followed another to make my pawn look like Triss and off we went. Having a lot of fun, I can tell this game will get its hooks in me once I can play more.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
First play through I did the unmoored world but apparently missed some people cuz I didn’t get all of the achievements. I only evacuated the elves, battahl, and vernworth. Totally forgot about the gigantus and flat out did not know about some other people so I want to check on them. Decided to just take the blue pill the second time. Now I’m going to be really thorough this run.
I'm nowhere near when the real game(Unmoored) starts but if you find out lemme know if the timer for this part of the game stops when you clear(evacuate everyone) all the red beacons. Getting conflicting information that it does and doesn't. Seems very Majora's Mask-like which I'm pretty hype for. Unmoored I hear is a great place to farm for Weapons and materials. Thief with Pilfer is probably a must.

Kacho

Farcry games have to literally put animal cages inside enemy outposts for some interesting interactions.

From what I have seen in this thread, it seems quiet a bit more interesting.
It’s subjective but Dragon’s Dogma does it better than most games because of how wild it gets at times, plus the combat is incredibly satisfying.

Stunning a flying griffin with a critical attack will never get old. I cherish fighting most of the large monsters (except golems!).

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Farcry games have to literally put animal cages inside enemy outposts for some interesting interactions.

Anyone comparing those interactions to the ones in DD are crazy.
One they aren't emergent, they spawn in the outposts as an extra tool for the player, so literally scripted.
The animals also have no threat assessment, they just attack whatever is in front of them until they die, completely scripted behaviour; enemies in DD decide who to attack based on who's the biggest threat or the most vulnerable, if a wolf notices someone has been knocked down, they'll make a fucking beeline to them to drag them off for an easy kill.
Yes you can encounter wild animals, but they follow the same programming, whoever they see first is the target until they die or the target dies.

Comandr

I'm nowhere near when the real game(Unmoored) starts but if you find out lemme know if the timer for this part of the game stops when you clear(evacuate everyone) all the red beacons. Getting conflicting information that it does and doesn't. Seems very Majora's Mask-like which I'm pretty hype for. Unmoored I hear is a great place to farm for Weapons and materials. Thief with Pilfer is probably a must.
This is my understanding/experience: When you arrive in the unmoored world there is a ton of red fog that is slowly encroaching onto the center of the map. This effectively marks the end of the game. There are a number of red pillars of light on the map as well. Each of these will spawn a unique boss. Killing them will temporarily pause the red fog’s approach. As far as I can tell, this just buys you time to do everything you need or want to do there. I killed all of the red light bosses I could find and I had to rest and wait for about 3 or 4 days before the actual ending triggered. Did I get the best ending? I don’t know. I don’t know if there’s multiple beyond the unmoored world ending. I know that I didn’t get everything done that I could have though.

Also pro tip: if you die, you must use a wake stone. You can no longer just reload from a recent save you will be sent back to the beginning of the unmoored world with all of your progress lost. Don’t ask me how I know that.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

It’s subjective but Dragon’s Dogma does it better than most games because of how wild it gets at times, plus the combat is incredibly satisfying.

Stunning a flying griffin with a critical attack will never get old. I cherish fighting most of the large monsters (except golems!).
Golem battles can get so spectacular though,especially with some mage/sorcerer pawns in the party,you get flashes and particles everywhere. Had a fight with one at nighttime and all the spells were lighting up the area.

GymWolf

A "random encounter" isn't emergent gameplay, emergent gameplay is when the game allows things to happen that aren't scripted, most games actually don't have this, it's just you vs the world in preset ways even if you encounter things randomly.
Like in my previous example where I had a pack of wolves tear a chimera apart, they weren't part of the chimera encounter, in fact they were chasing something else and happened to stumble into my fight, and because I was using the trickster class I could turn them against the chimera; it changed the entire dynamic of the encounter and it just happened because it can, that's emergent gameplay.
No offence, but that still sound like what most decent open world games do.

You are figthing some enemies but move too much into another area and other enemies start attacking you and chaos emerge, even more if other ncps are close and join the battle, even more if the enemies are from different factions.

What you did with the trickster is what you can do with every game that has poison arrows\knives\whatever that can make enemies attacking each other or make them berserk, tsushima does that (not super sure about this one), horizon does that, days gone does that, every rpg with a confuse\berserk spell does that, using a trickster skill or anything else really doesn't change the final result of enemies fighting each others.

And let's be real, every interaction is somehow scripted even if they don't look like it, enemies and npcs don't have real ia, it's just a set of programmed behaviours, they are never gonna do something that is not coded into their behaviours, the best games let you believe that it is random and non scripted, but they still are.

Yesterday i was about to conquer a camp in horizon 2, but i saw a trex dinobot in the close proximity that was not part of the encounter at all, i attracted him close to the camp, waited until the enemies attacked him because it was too close to their base and then watched him doing the hard work while i killed all the distracted enemies, it really doesn't sound less emergent than a lot of cool stories i heard here about dd2, it was "unscripted", chaotic and all the fancy words people like to use, you can substitute horizon with days gone and the trex with an horde, same result, the game could say that you have to free the camps by yourself and put limits, but it let you act outside the box and weaponize other enemies against them, that is emergent gameplay dude.

I feel like people romanticize everything that happen in dd2 while for other people it's just normal open world fanfare...

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
DD2 might have the best open world ever when it comes to it's level design, it's just so fun to explore.

I think I have like 15 ferrystones or more, I just refuse to fast travel lol.

I use the ox cart when I'm shopping for upgraded gear. Otherwise, I enjoy the trek and the madness that ensues. I've nearly maxed out thief and feeling incredibly OP right now. The gameplay is so good that I forget that I even have ferrystones. I stick them in my chest so they don't take up inventory.

Kacho

Golem battles can get so spectacular though,especially with some mage/sorcerer pawns in the party,you get flashes and particles everywhere. Had a fight with one at nighttime and all the spells were lighting up the area.
No disagreement there. Seeing their glowing blue runes off in the distance at night is top tier stuff.

I'm just not very efficient at taking them down yet. Probably just a DPS issue.

GymWolf

Yeah sure because all the chaos that can happen at every given moment between enemies, animals and friendly npcs around the map doesn't exist right?

People play these games for the emergent gameplay and chaos that can spawn at any given moment, it's one of the few redeeming quality of these titles.

Even a lesser fc game like primal had an incredible animal ecosystem and ncps both enemies and friendly acting accordingly to it, but not many people played that one i guess.

FeralEcho

I use the ox cart when I'm shopping for upgraded gear. Otherwise, I enjoy the trek and the madness that ensues. I've nearly maxed out thief and feeling incredibly OP right now. The gameplay is so good that I forget that I even have ferrystones. I stick them in my chest so they don't take up inventory.
Skull splitter is basically like switching the game on easy mode every time you use it 😂 It's so op.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
No offence, but that still sound like what most open world games do.

You are figthing some enemies but move too much into another area and other enemies start attacking you and chaos emerge, even more if other ncps are close and join the battle.
This is just not true, most open world games are you vs the world, and enemies will almost always prioritise the player even in a scenario where they might have a mutual enemy, and nearly every encounter plays out the same because in most open world games the enemies don't have a long number of behaviours or abilities, they just claw/shoot at you until you die or they die.
What you did with the trickster is what you can do with every game that has poison arrows\knives\whatever that can make enemies attacking each other or make them berserk, tsushima does that, horizon does that, days gone does that, every rpg with a confuse\berserk spell does that, using a trickster skill or anything else really doesn't change the final result.
Also not true, those games just change their already rigid targeting to simply attack everything; the wolves completely decide who's the best to attack based on their own threat assessment, they aren't allies to the chimera, so even if I wasn't a trickster they would've occasionally attacked it, I just forced them to attack the chimera; all these games with berserk shit like in assassin's creed just make the enemy attack everything in sight, even the player. Sitting on a perch shooting berserk darts at enemies until they kill each other isn't emergent gameplay it's literally just a tool you can use every time and are encouraged to take advantage of, whereas I'm unable to summon wolves at will, that just happened because it could; emergent gameplay.
And let's be real, every interaction is somehow scripted even if they don't look like it, enemies and npcs don't have real ia, it's just a set of programmed behaviours, they are never gonna do something that is not coded into their behaviours, the best games let you believe that it is random and non scripted, but they still are.
Well obviously, there's not enough energy in the world to even power an AGI, when people say AI for videogames, we obviously aren't talking about some I, Robot level sapient intelligence lol, of course it's programmed, but with the vast amount of things they can do and react to, the game allows for encounters that feel incredibly dynamic on a level that just doesn't exist in other games.

Kacho

I had an unscripted drake encounter in a city last night. Loads of NPCs joined in on the battle. A major named NPC died during the battle. I had to run to my storage, grab a wake stone and revive him. Doing that maxed out my affinity with him. How is that not emergent gameplay?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I had an unscripted drake encounter in a city last night. Loads of NPCs joined in on the battle. A major named NPC died during the battle. I had to run to my storage, grab a wake stone and revive him. Doing that maxed out my affinity with him. How is that not emergent gameplay?
it's not because freeing a crocodile in an outpost in far cry is the same thing

/s

Topher

Gold Member
Skull splitter is basically like switching the game on easy mode every time you use it 😂 It's so op.

My mage keeps throwing blue lightning on my blades which makes it even more OP and just so fucking cool. lol....last night on the way to Battahl.....ran across armored up cyclops....

Lvrii5T.jpeg

SwPXllv.jpeg

That was some fun shit

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So, how are those riddles going? Have you managed to solve them all?

I still got 2 more to go and have no idea of what the answer could be. :goog_relieved:

FeralEcho

it's not because freeing a crocodile in an outpost in far cry is the same thing

/s
Some people just can't take the fact that Dragon's Dogma 2 is incredibly fun to play because of that reason while other games simply feel like they try their hardest just to keep the player's attention with some of the most obvious "random" interactions and it really irks some folks I guess.

The best stories you get in DD2 are not the quest themselves but what happens during it,when you are on the road while you are trying to complete the quest and something else comes up.

Comparing it to Far Cry of all things is laughable when that is one of the most by-the-numbers franchises we have nowadays.

GymWolf

This is just not true, most open world games are you vs the world, and enemies will almost always prioritise the player even in a scenario where they might have a mutual enemy, and nearly every encounter plays out the same because in most open world games the enemies don't have a long number of behaviours or abilities, they just claw/shoot at you until you die or they die.

Also not true, those games just change their already rigid targeting to simply attack everything; the wolves completely decide who's the best to attack based on their own threat assessment, they aren't allies to the chimera, so even if I wasn't a trickster they would've occasionally attacked it, I just forced them to attack the chimera; all these games with berserk shit like in assassin's creed just make the enemy attack everything in sight, even the player. Sitting on a perch shooting berserk darts at enemies until they kill each other isn't emergent gameplay it's literally just a tool you can use every time and are encouraged to take advantage of, whereas I'm unable to summon wolves at will, that just happened because it could; emergent gameplay.

Well obviously, there's not enough energy in the world to even power an AGI, when people say AI for videogames, we obviously aren't talking about some I, Robot level sapient intelligence lol, of course it's programmed, but with the vast amount of things they can do and react to, the game allows for encounters that feel incredibly dynamic on a level that just doesn't exist in other games.
Of course i was talking of open world\games with different factions that can fight each other, not every open world has that.

And i had moments were enemies attacked npcs in dogma and they were just doing the same basic attack, same for when a big ogre (or whatever it is) was close to the city and guards\npcs started attacking him, i just saw normal attacks, no elaborate strategy of any sort nor this varied range of stuff you say, maybe i need to play another 20 hours to see something else :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

For the trickster thing, it's almost the same damn thing dude, just because you shot a poison arrow compared to whatever you do with the trickster doesn't change the final result, chaos and changing how the dinamyc of the fight goes (that was your initial point), some games have a berserk mode that make enemies only attack other enemies, some have a berserk mode where they attack everyone on sight.

Like i said, some people are in awe for literally any little thing that happen in this game, and some others are just been there done that.

Very little differences in how things are done from game to game are not gonna make me scream like i never saw any of that in my life, sorry.
Maybe you put more weight than me on the little things that dogma does differently but for me it's not enough to praise dogma over other games with similar mechanics, i don't really wanna tell people if they can have fun or not, i'm happy if your having more fun than me with the game :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Some people just can't take the fact that Dragon's Dogma 2 is incredibly fun to play because of that reason while other games simply feel like they try their hardest just to keep the player's attention with some of the most obvious "random" interactions and it really irks some folks I guess.

The best stories you get in DD2 are not the quest themselves but what happens during it,when you are on the road while you are trying to complete the quest and something else comes up.

Comparing it to Far Cry of all things is laughable when that is one of the most by-the-numbers franchises we have nowadays.
And some people can't digest different opinions because they have to protect the game of the hour at all cost.

We are all having fun with the game dude, some people more, some people less, no need to make it like we are from different teams just because we have different opinions, this is a forum, not an hivemind, you are gonna hear different opinions dude.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm kinda just going through the motions with this, when does it pick up.

ssringo

So, how are those riddles going? Have you managed to solve them all?

I still got 2 more to go and have no idea of what the answer could be. :goog_relieved:
Nickelodeon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Looked up one to verify my solution would work before wasting my time but otherwise managed to finger it out. Biggest thing to keep in mind is she's trying to trick you every step of the way (beyond the riddle of course) and to think outside the box.

Kacho

I'm kinda just going through the motions with this, when does it pick up.
Where are you in the game and what type of experience are you looking for? Things gradually ramp up over time, but if you aren't feeling it maybe the game isn't for you. Hard to say without more info.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

And some people can't digest different opinions because they have to protect the game of the hour at all costs.

We are all having fun with the game dude, some people more, some people less.
Which people? No one is protecting anything dude,you are free to play the game and talk about it at any time like the rest of us but if you want to engage in a proper discussion and not get called out,at least use a good comparisson next time if you want to make a point,something like RDR2 does emergent gameplay in a similar way to DD2,that would have made for an interesting discussion,instead using Far Cry as an example is in bad faith and an insult to what DD2 does and everyone here knows that but you.

Far Cry is so by the numbers that it would have literally invented the Ubisoft tower meme if Assassin's Creed hadn't done it first a year before... Think about that for a second.

It's apples to oranges as a comparisson.

Top Bottom