• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 |OT| Pawnworld

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Of course i was talking of open world\games with different factions that can fight each other, not every open world has that.
It doesn't matter, they always prioritise the player if they can target the player, I have yelled "there's an enemy right next to you!" in plenty of games with supposedly "different factions"; the whole different faction AI facade drops the second the enemy spots the player and can target them, they just stop giving a shit about that bear that's chewing the head of its dead friend right next to it.
And i had moments were enemies attacked npcs in dogma and they were just doing the same basic attack, same for when a big ogre (or whatever it is) was close to the city and guards\npcs started attacking him, i just saw normal attacks, no elaborate strategy of any sort nor this varied range of stuff you say, maybe i need to play another 20 hours to see something else :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
NPC are just humans, they have no special abilities unless it's an important NPC like Ulrika, so of course you just saw normal attacks lol that's the point, a bunch of regular joes overwhelming a vastly stronger enemy with numbers.
When I say the vast amount of things they can do I'm referring to the enemies; what other games has an enemy that notices you are a bit removed from your party and not paying attention and also standing kinda close to that cliff, so it decides to pick you up and drop you off it for an easy kill? Or sees it has you outnumbered so will just try to kill you by stunlocking you to death by taking turns attacking? Or sees you have a hard time reaching it so it stays attacking at range?
All of that is just a single harpy in DD; having various things they can do and having threat assessment allows them to behave dynamically.
For the trickster thing, it's the same damn thing dude, just because you shot a poison arrow compared to whatever you do with the trickster doesn't change the final result, chaos and changing how the dinamic of the fight goes (that was your initial point), some games have a berserk mode that make enemies only attack other enemies, some have a berserk mode where they attack everyone on sight, it's really nothing kncredible or unique.
It's not the same damn thing because as I said, I can't summon wolves at will, and running away to find wolves I might not even find them and just break off the encounter all together, shooting poison at an enemy is something that's part of your toolset and ready to use whenever you want, heck even the berserk dark in assassin's creed kills the enemy when the duration is over, so even if the enemy is alone you can still use it.
This is completely incomparable to something that can only happen by chance and only if I can take advantage of it, what the hell is a wolf going to do against a griffin? They can't even reach it so in that case I would've been better off to keep them distracted instead, whereas if this was "poison/berserk", its use would be exactly the same every time.
Like i said, some people are in awe for literally any little thing that happen in this game, and some others are just been there done that.

Very little differences in how things are done from game to game are not gonna make me scream like i never saw any of that in my life, sorry.
The differences are very large, but it's ok if you can't see it or care for it, the rest of us will enjoy and appreciate it for being here.

Topher

Gold Member
Man......just when I was feeling a bit cocky, this gotdang dragon drake shows up and kicks my ass....

JOmnvhG.jpeg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Which people? No one is protecting anything dude,you are free to play the game and talk about it at any time like the rest of us but if you want to engage in a proper discussion and not get called out,at least use a good comparisson next time if you want to make a point,something like RDR2 does emergent gameplay in a similar way to DD2,that would have made for an interesting discussion,instead using Far Cry as an example is in bad faith and an insult to what DD2 does and everyone here knows that but you.

Far Cry is so by the numbers that it would have literally invented the Ubisoft tower meme if Assassin's Creed hadn't done it first a year before... Think about that for a second.

It's apples to oranges as a comparisson.
I wasn't even the dude that named far cry first, and i'm not judgying the quality of the 2 games or how by the numbers they are, just the fact that both have emergent gameplay, the fact that you picked only fc from that list i made just to be offended speak more volume about you than me tbh, i also listed rockstar games.

GymWolf

It doesn't matter, they always prioritise the player if they can target the player, I have yelled "there's an enemy right next to you!" in plenty of games with supposedly "different factions"; the whole different faction AI facade drops the second the enemy spots the player and can target them, they just stop giving a shit about that bear that's chewing the head of its dead friend right next to it.

NPC are just humans, they have no special abilities unless it's an important NPC like Ulrika, so of course you just saw normal attacks lol that's the point, a bunch of regular joes overwhelming a vastly stronger enemy with numbers.
When I say the vast amount of things they can do I'm referring to the enemies; what other games has an enemy that notices you are a bit removed from your party and not paying attention and also standing kinda close to that cliff, so it decides to pick you up and drop you off it for an easy kill? Or sees it has you outnumbered so will just try to kill you by stunlocking you to death by taking turns attacking? Or sees you have a hard time reaching it so it stays attacking at range?
All of that is just a single harpy in DD; having various things they can do and having threat assessment allows them to behave dynamically.

It's not the same damn thing because as I said, I can't summon wolves at will, and running away to find wolves I might not even find them and just break off the encounter all together, shooting poison at an enemy is something that's part of your toolset and ready to use whenever you want, heck even the berserk dark in assassin's creed kills the enemy when the duration is over, so even if the enemy is alone you can still use it.
This is completely incomparable to something that can only happen by chance and only if I can take advantage of it, what the hell is a wolf going to do against a griffin? They can't even reach it so in that case I would've been better off to keep them distracted instead, whereas if this was "poison/berserk", its use would be exactly the same every time.

The differences are very large, but it's ok if you can't see it or care for it, the rest of us will enjoy and appreciate it for being here.
They are very large for some people, very small for others, and i enjoy them as much as you, open worlds are my favourite genre because this shit is not as rare as you think.

P.s. i literally made 2 examples of enemies that attack both you and enemies without a specific priority with horizon and days gone but of course you ignored them.
The way i attracted the trex was just by attacking him, i didn't used any berserk arrow and he was attacking both me and the enemies, same for the hordes in dg.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

I wasn't even the dude that named far cry first, and i'm not judgying the quality of the 2 games or how by the numbers they are, just the fact that both have emergent gameplay, the fact that you picked only fc from that list i made just to be offended speak more volume about you than me tbh, i also listed rockstar games.
And I wasn't even the person you were having a conversation with in case you didn't realise so get off your high horse,I "picked" Far Cry since that was what I quoted from R Reizo Ryuu in the first place,which in turn made you quote me for whatever reason since I didn't even name you....but hey look,emergent quoting!

Mossybrew

using Far Cry as an example is in bad faith and an insult to what DD2 does and everyone here knows that but you.
I feel like you haven't played much Far Cry, the series has had "emergent" elements for a long time, from wild animals that will attack other NPCs to fire propagating randomly, etc. If a wolf attacks a goblin in DD2 suddenly it's some whole other level of emergent?

Last edited:
I got to the bottom of page 25, saw it was already to page 27, and thought, "Oh, shit. This is an emergent gameplay thread now." 🤣

Mystic spearhand is pretty sick. I got a weapon drop from the quest where the class unlocks that I didn't know was a thing. Fextralife says it has a 12.35% drop rate. It normally costs 56k and looks like it does almost triple the damage of the basic duospear. I did that quest early and it makes me stupidly OP for the first region. The dash is so much fun.

Last edited:

IAmRei

I have an small not so issue, my pawn 165 and my MC is 178, its pretty standard in asia, and there are lot of pawns that towering me LoL

FeralEcho

I feel like you haven't played much Far Cry, the series has had "emergent" elements for a long time, from wild animals that will attack other NPCs to fire propagating randomly, etc. If a wolf attacks a goblin in DD2 suddenly it's some whole other level of emergent?
Will a wolf attack another human,take him down drag him to his lair and as you follow them you get attacked by an ogre jumping down from the top of the cave and as you go out of the cave the ogre follows you and then a griffin swoops in and fights the ogre while you watch?

Will that happen in Far Cry too? Cuz fuck me I'm buying that next Far Cry game.

If notthen until that kind of sporadic encounters happen in Far Cry then Far Cry is really not like Dragon's Dogma 2.

FeralEcho

Running with an all-chick crew right now just to see what kind of banter they throw around. Pretty much "hey look....we are all females!". Boring

aukv3Xb.jpeg
Yeah i laughed when i heard that the first time.

Also there's one where a pawn will say "one of the arisens I helped on my travels seemed to prefer only females,I wonder why that is" and my pawn goes "fascinating" in sort of a sarcastic voice 😂

IAmRei

Yeah i laughed when i heard that the first time.

Also there's one where a pawn will say "one of the arisens I helped on my travels seemed to prefer only females,I wonder why that is" and my pawn goes "fascinating" in sort of a sarcastic voice 😂
I wonder with what my pawn said, she is hired by three people today : ))

FeralEcho

I have an small not so issue, my pawn 165 and my MC is 178, its pretty standard in asia, and there are lot of pawns that towering me LoL
My mc is 171 so I wouldn't worry about it,I see alot of big boned pawns also and riftstones in the wilderness are specific to a certain type of pawn,so you might get a rift with only fatties or only giants,or shorties etc.

GymWolf

Not sure what i should say other than being happy to find another open world enjoyer in a forum that like to shit on open world games usually :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I don't have that many AC games tho:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I really don't wanna "fight" over this shit, i usually like your posts dude:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Let's just put this discussion behind our backs and continue talking about the game, i think we derailed the topic well enough (nobody fault but still not what majority of people wanna read in the OT)
And I wasn't even the person you were having a conversation with in case you didn't realise so get off your high horse,I "picked" Far Cry since that was what I quoted from R Reizo Ryuu in the first place,which in turn made you quote me for whatever reason since I didn't even name you....but hey look,emergent quoting!
No high horse, but since i'm the only dude left speaking about this because the other 2 are not present, it seemed obvious that you were talking about me, and even if you weren't directly talking to me, you named the far cry example and i was talking about that between the other games, so yeah, you were talking to me, directly or undirectly, nothing strange in me responding if i feel like i'm being called out, sorry for the "misunderstanding" i guess.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Better deals in the gray markets that I'm seeing, but not in official key resellers.

Pretty sure that cdkeys and instant gaming are 99% safe and legit.

both have the game for 44 euros (probably less in dollars).

FeralEcho

Not sure what i should say other than being happy to find another open world enjoyer in a forum that like to shit on open world games usually :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I don't have that many AC games tho:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I really don't wanna "fight" over this shit, i usually like your posts dude:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Let's just put this discussion behind our backs and continue talking about the game, i think we derailed the topic well enough (nobody fault but still not what majority of people wanna read in the OT)

No high horse, but since i'm the only dude left speaking about this because the other 2 are not present, it seemed obvious that you were talking about me, and even if you weren't directly talking to me, you named the far cry example and i was talking about that between the other games, so yeah, you were talking to me, directly or undirectly, nothing strange in me responding if i feel like i'm being called out, sorry for the "misunderstanding" i guess.
No problem,It's cool.

GymWolf

So did I but I didn’t realize it was literal faceroll. I just annihilated a Troll in 20 seconds.
I confuse the name of the big enemies, the troll are like the giant goblins right? or it's the hairy one that is thirsty af when you have women pawns? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

IAmRei

My mc is 171 so I wouldn't worry about it,I see alot of big boned pawns also and riftstones in the wilderness are specific to a certain type of pawn,so you might get a rift with only fatties or only giants,or shorties etc.
Ah i see now, i will take a note then. Thanks buddy

GymWolf

You almost sound dissapointed by it 😂
Of course i am, i saw the dude doing that thing in the preview footage and i was hoping to see him do the same with my party because it's hilarious.

Maybe i killed him too quickly (don't think so really, he always had at least 4-5 min) or he fucking hate the pawns i chose :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Next time i'm just not gonna attack him until he pick one of my women.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Of course i am, i saw the dude doing that thing in the preview footage and i was hoping to see him do the same with my party because it's hilarious.

Maybe i killed him too quickly (don't think so really, he always had at least 4-5 min) or he fucking hate the pawns i chose :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Next time i'm just not gonna attack him until he pick one of my women.
Well you did say your pawn has red eyes,he probably doesn't want dragonsplague so he's avoiding it as best he can 😂

It hasn't happened to me either for what is worth,I think if you stagger him constantly he doesn't get the chance.He used to do it constantly in the first game,at one point he bitch slapped my main pawn off a bridge and jumped to his death right after her lol That's commitment

GymWolf

Well you did say your pawn has red eyes,he probably doesn't want dragonsplague so he's avoiding it as best he can 😂

It hasn't happened to me either for what is worth,I think if you stagger him constantly he doesn't get the chance.He used to do it constantly in the first game,at one point he bitch slapped my main pawn off a bridge and jumped to his death right after her lol That's commitment
Yeah with the warrior (and especially if you have a mace over a greatsword) it's pretty easy to stunlock the medium sized enemies between charged attack and flying heavy attacks to the head, at least the humanoid types.
Next time i'm gonna be super passive.

Top Bottom