• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drama: Sweet Baby employees start fighting back against Steam curator

Status
Not open for further replies.

laynelane

Stuff like this really shows the reality of some of the people who push the hardest for diversity and inclusivity. In this case, the representatives of Sweet Baby are showing us that they're yet another part of the group who encourages cancel culture/harassment. If this gets bigger, I really hope companies take note that these are the people who they're taking advice on narrative story-telling from.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Who wants to be the loanshark

50k by Sunday

flNj122.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
Do these studios seek out assistance from Sweet Baby Inc., or does Sweet Baby Inc. approach these studios?
I'm assuming it's a shakedown from the classic "hire us or the XXX group we claim to represent is gonna f you up". So basically something like this:

"Better let us take a run at your story. Be a real shame if the vocal twitter mob comes after your title because it has some 'problematic' issues. No guarantees we can protect you completely of course, but without us...."

nkarafo

Not sure if mentioned already but here's a quote i found on Reddit:

Before the company was made a small group was doing this consulting already. Whenever they had a studio that took their advice and agreed with them they would comment "oh they were like sweet babies" and the company was made because they only want to work with "sweet babies" in the industry.

In case anyone was wondering why the studio is named like that. This was mentioned in an interview of one of the founders.

CGNoire

Forced diversity, attack on masculinity, demeaning women to be mere costumes to be appropriated by men, striving for equity instead of equality, encouraging males to be feminine and females to be masculine in order to create a 'gender neutral' 'global' consumer to whom any product will appeal to in order to maximize a company's sales, attacking religion and the nuclear family and the newest 'male and pale is the new stale
Nailed it.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Sweet Baby summary(from their site);

Founded in 2018, Sweet Baby Inc. is a narrative development and consultation studio based in Montreal and working around the globe. Our mission is to tell better, more empathetic stories while diversifying and enriching the video games industry. We aim to make games more engaging, more fun, more meaningful, and more inclusive, for everyone.
We believe you need diverse voices to solve diverse problems. Sweet Baby Inc. provides narrative consultation at any stage of development, boasting a talented team with vetted industry experience to best bring your story to life.
Announced Projects;

Alan Wake 2, Spider Man 2, GOW Ragnarok, Sable, Goodbye Volcano High, Suicide Squad,

Clients;

Xbox Studios, EA, Valve, Santa Monica, 2k, Ubisoft, SE, Warner, Rocksteady...

Or should we call them,

w1TXqbl.png

?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whatever would they have to fight back against?

Wouldn't you want the world to know your experience and client list consist of the biggest names in the industry?

Funny to see a company fighting back against free advertising that could make, but in this case, break them.

We know the answer and so do they.
Typically any company acting as a third party agency (advertising, packaging, marketing etc…) loves telling the world who their clients are. And the client is ok letting them PR it unless it’s confidential kind of work.

If SB is having issues something is rotten.

radewagon

This comic is trying to obfuscate the very real benefit of being able to see yourself reflected in the media that surrounds you. Take the Little Mermaid. Say what you will about the revisionism, but at the end of the day, I think it's an objectively positive thing for young black girls to be able to see representations of themselves. I can't imagine how wonderful it is for African American children to see someone like Black Panther on the big screen or to watch the phenomenal Moon Girl animated series. The second image in this comic doesn't really offer a valid counterpoint to that. The fact that people can enjoy and identify with characters that are not of the same race or cultural background as themselves is not an argument against an inclusive media landscape.

As someone that grew up loving comics, videogames, and movies, I had no problem finding heroes to admire and look up to. But, man, it would have been sweet to see a Mexican out there saving the day too. That would have been objectively good. Hell, it's such a drought out there sometimes that I am proud to be able to count Bender Bending Rodriguez as one of my people.

I think this oft-used comic makes the rounds because it confirms a lot of a person's bias against inclusion even though the comic doesn't really make a good argument against what it is criticizing. The juxtaposition of images is a tangential observation at best.

Nickolaidas

This comic is trying to obfuscate the very real benefit of being able to see yourself reflected in the media that surrounds you. Take the Little Mermaid. Say what you will about the revisionism, but at the end of the day, I think it's an objectively positive thing for young black girls to be able to see representations of themselves. I can't imagine how wonderful it is for African American children to see someone like Black Panther on the big screen or to watch the phenomenal Moon Girl animated series. The second image in this comic doesn't really offer a valid counterpoint to that. The fact that people can enjoy and identify with characters that are not of the same race or cultural background as themselves is not an argument against an inclusive media landscape.

As someone that grew up loving comics, videogames, and movies, I had no problem finding heroes to admire and look up to. But, man, it would have been sweet to see a Mexican out there saving the day too. That would have been objectively good. Hell, it's such a drought out there sometimes that I am proud to be able to count Bender Bending Rodriguez as one of my people.

I think this oft-used comic makes the rounds because it confirms a lot of a person's bias against inclusion even though the comic doesn't really make a good argument against what it is criticizing. The juxtaposition of images is a tangential observation at best.
Relating to a character because of their actions and ideals aspiring you is true connection.

Relating to a character because of their skin color or sexuality is more shallow and surface level.

Also, instead of blackfacing established white fictional characters, perhaps it would be better to do a new character in order to (looks at 'Wish' bombing) - never mind, carry on.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Wonder if Valve will step in considering they are a client.

It would be a disaster for their reputation if they remove it in my opinion.

RagnarokIV

Just makes me happy they’re getting so much negative publicity.

Yesterday morning that Steam group was at 6000 something members, now it’s almost 30,000. Looks like it’s really starting to snowball.

Edit: here’s the group if you want to check it out, it’s closing in on 34,000 now

Who wants to be the loanshark

50k by Sunday

flNj122.jpg

50k when I just followed

nush

SHA

He’s one of those that unironically ask, “gosh what does woke even mean?!”

Idk, I saw people calling the new dragon ball Anime that will be aired this year "woke", making characters young kids again is woke? How? I saw dragon ball gt when goku get younger and still don't get it. It's like using the word "Jesus" without context.

Last edited:

Gallard

This curator group is genius! It represents a "power level" - the number of people staunchly opposed to woke and DEI initiatives. The gaming press would have you believe they are a minority, so the larger this group grows, the less possible it is to dismiss and handwave them away.

Yesterday, at 5k I feared the group would be banned. Today, that's not possible - at least not without significant backlash.

Be wary since Sweet Baby and their acolytes will act more stealthfully now that they've been exposed. We're seeing it now with Hyper Light Breaker

cormack12

Gold Member
It is funny how for the past few years these people have pushed and created things like blocklists on twitter, started campaigns of calling people all kinds of terrible things. Yet they lose their shit when people retweet their idiocy, create a list of failures they''re associated with and generally expose what terrible and incompetent buffoons they are.

It's clear which areas are the easiest and quickest to cost save

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom