• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub - an 8th Gen Wonder that needs a PS5 patch...

Driveclub might be my favorite racing game of all time.

It is in fact, one of the few racing games I felt transported by its scenery and track design. The tracks from Japan they added post-launch are all masterpieces. The sense of adrenaline and speed are pretty well done despite being limited at 30 FPS, and every car oozes tremendous amount of details, and they are felt different to drive; then, they added goddam motorcycles.....

It's very frustrating that such a good game and studio basically died for one of the most terrible launches in the last gen. Those who didn't see the server issues clearly have both the game and the company on their coscience.

Mr.ODST

It's very frustrating that such a good game and studio basically died for one of the most terrible launches in the last gen. Those who didn't see the server issues clearly have both the game and the company on their coscience.
There was huge issues with development and the fact the game was way out of its depth in terms of mechanics before release so they scaled back ALOT to hit the launch window

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
My favorite racing game last gen. Loved the handling, visuals, tracks, modes. Also, amazing DLC. Would buy a PS5 for an upgraded version.

Such a shame about that launch.

Whitecrow

Banned
Well Driveclub, as amazing as it is, is big stain in Sony's reputation.

They lost a lot of money and a lot of trust from car companies who decided to not have anything to do with the game.

Evo created a masterpice... just in the aftermath of the tragedy.

We wont hear about it ever again : /

Last edited:
this game was so advanced for its time that everyone hated it. and simulator fans and arcade fans were not happy it being a hybrid and psvr fans were not happy at the blurriness and reduced detail. and Yamauchi hated it because GT lost the most gorgeous looking racer title to it so they dismantled the studio and shut down servers.

universally hate for an incredible technical achievement like few could accomplish...

I still play it blurry in VR and still mind-blown every time.

i love Driveclub , i recently bought Driveclub Vr , this game should of had better Fate..having support for it on Ps5 probably will never happen.

Spokker

It reminded me of Project Gotham Racing. I enjoyed the game and am bewildered that it was considered a failure. There is nothing like Driveclub's cockpit view in the pouring rain at night.

Last edited:
look at how well microsoft handled forza series , mainline forza then horizon , sony could have kept both gran turismo and drive club

This is the real tragedy. If they had waited and roll DriveClub out as a more complete package Im sure it would have been better recieved and could have easily existed as a more arcadey series alongside GT.

I would love a Forza Horizon style DriveClub game.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair DriveClub was Evo's third underperforming title in a row, plus it was a PR nightmare at launch with all the server issues, the PS Plus version and people in the UK asking for refunds - all of that for what was planned to be Sony's flagship title for the 2014 holiday season.
People are stupid. They just flat out to refuse to look at the situation this way.

It's more entertaining to go 'Nah, fuck Sony, they're trash'.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
People are stupid. They just flat out to refuse to look at the situation this way.

It's more entertaining to go 'Nah, fuck Sony, they're trash'.
ColorlessAcademicIchthyostega-small.gif

93xfan

Banned
Why the f*** did Sony shut this studio down the game was a masterpiece for visuals and gameplay, people will argue about the gameplay but I play a lot of racing games but I can tell you that it's right up there with the best arcade racers. After the weather update the game became the best looking racing game hands down and to this day is probably still the best looking. And now they give us the trash that is Destruction Allstars are they for real, instead of sacking people at the studio heads should roll at the top brass for that decision.
This, Socom and PS1-3 BC made drop Sony.

Fox Mulder

There was huge issues with development and the fact the game was way out of its depth in terms of mechanics before release so they scaled back ALOT to hit the launch window

it was a great game at the end that received lots of support and an amazing expansion.

Sony could have at least got a Motorstorm collection out of them or something first if they thought the studio was shit. Those amazing games are stuck on ps3 and have shut down servers. Shame all around.

it was a great game at the end that received lots of support and an amazing expansion.

Sony could have at least got a Motorstorm collection out of them or something first if they thought the studio was shit. Those amazing games are stuck on ps3 and have shut down servers. Shame all around.

Motorstorm games were fun but they needed to fix the bullshit rubberband AI that would haul ass through routes that they were not supposed to be able to (bikes riding through mud for example).

I loved those games but the AI was was maddening in the later races.

xrnzaaas

How did you buy VR? Isn't it delisted from the store?
Driveclub and Driveclub VR had retail releases. Afaik only Driveclub Bikes was released only as a digital title (or as Driveclub DLC). It's sad actually, because it was one of the most fun bike games I've played and I think they nailed the handling not being too arcade or too realistic.

Last edited:

Tommi84

I spent 394 hours in this game and enjoyed every minute of the game... No, not you Venom Challenges - you can go screw yourself :D

Great fame,best graphics, good physics, no open world bullsh... Just you and the car.

Oh and the best, THE BEST, thing - no need to upgrade the car, no need to tune it, no need to grind to get better parts.

If I have a PS5 I would more interested in a merge between DC and DC VR with full support for PSVR on PS5 while waiting for the new headset.

Maybe it was, it's even probable that he actually did it. He was president of Playstation Europe (SIEE) when they closed the studio (which was based in UK). He actually left SIEE (to boss of global sales at SIE) just one month after the studio was announced closed.
Jim Ryan's worst crime.
Andrew House signed the closure; a link to the original document was shared by someone on that forum.

Cyborg

I had so much fun with it, got my Platinum and all! I would love to see it again but I have no hopes.

Vindicator

This and The Tomorrow Children would have been glorious in 4K/HDR, not really into racing games but DC was truly something else, perfect mix between arcade & sim.

Romulus

I feel like if we never heard of this game before and they released it as a PS5 exclusive with PS4 assets and 4k 60fps, it would be the most "next-gen" thing we've seen lol. Maybe clean up some of the flat textures in the environment here and there, but overall it's insane to look at and was mind-numbing in 2013.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Sony is basically EA. They take you under their wing, you've been making games for decades, then BAM FUCK YOU you're gone.

hyperbole for you fuckbois
It was a little different with DriveClub, though. It was supposed to be a killer app launch game for the PS4, but got pushed back a whole year because of development troubles. I wonder they'd still be around if it had launched on time.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Drive club looked great when it came out, and some of the weather effects still look wonderful, but its largely outclassed since then by forza horizon 4 and motorsport 7, and gt sport

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Drive club looked great when it came out, and some of the weather effects still look wonderful, but its largely outclassed since then by forza horizon 4 and motorsport 7, and gt sport

that was my opinion until I re-bought it + a PS4 in December 2019, after 5 years without playing it. After a few races I changed my mind. DC is the better looking game, by some margin. It lacks only in the department of Framerate and image quality (aliasing), which would be fixed if it had the same PS4 PRO and XBoneX treatment.

All great looking games and I still play forza7 to this day, but DC just has the edge on atmospherics and realism which makes it look ridiculous at times.

sobaka770

Banned
Driveclub love is like Snyder Cut cult at this point. Yes the game was pretty cause 30 FPS and drove relatively well but the core concept behind clubs failed to materialise. Between a disastrous launch without online for months, drab menus, generic single-player - the game just doesn't stand out in any way. GT Sports eats it in every aspect at this point.

Moreover the studio is long closed and devs migrated to Codemasters I think so I don't think Sony would have anyone who know the code. I wouldn't mind a 60 FPS update for people who care but realistically someone will need to code it.

xrnzaaas

Why did Sony abandon this game? Someone remind me.
- The game released with pretty major server issues and without all of the planned features (including weather changes). It improved massively over the next 1-1.5 years, but I guess that wasn't good enough for Sony.
- Sony doesn't see potential in racing games except for the Gran Turismo series.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Driveclub love is like Snyder Cut cult at this point. Yes the game was pretty cause 30 FPS and drove relatively well but the core concept behind clubs failed to materialise. Between a disastrous launch without online for months, drab menus, generic single-player - the game just doesn't stand out in any way. GT Sports eats it in every aspect at this point.

Moreover the studio is long closed and devs migrated to Codemasters I think so I don't think Sony would have anyone who know the code. I wouldn't mind a 60 FPS update for people who care but realistically someone will need to code it.
There is not much work to be done. The game is locked at 30 vsync. At one point the devs said the game was running at 45 FPS fluctuating so they decided to lock it at 30 on a base PS4.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
they have plenty of people who know the code. DriveClub VR came out after the studio was closed and rushy said it was done by evo studios devs still employed by Sony.

As for the level of effort, many games with unlocked framerate just run on the PS5 at 60 fps. GOW, The last guardian, and killzone shadowfall all run at 60 fps without a patch. its really as simple as removing the 30 fps cap which is arguably the easiest thing you can do when making a patch.

Whitecrow

Banned
they have plenty of people who know the code. DriveClub VR came out after the studio was closed and rushy said it was done by evo studios devs still employed by Sony.

As for the level of effort, many games with unlocked framerate just run on the PS5 at 60 fps. GOW, The last guardian, and killzone shadowfall all run at 60 fps without a patch. its really as simple as removing the 30 fps cap which is arguably the easiest thing you can do when making a patch.
Is not always that easy tho.
Some games may have logic tied to the fps cap, like Skyrim for example.

Last edited:
Top Bottom