• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driver: San Francisco |OT| A whole generation, with a new explanation

Jay Sosa

I hate you guys..after playing the demo I thought it's terrible but all the positive comments really make me want to pick up this game..especially since it's probably like 15€ in a month.

PSYGN

Are there any motorcycles in this game? Driver Parallel Lines had it so I don't see why this one can't?

I don't think there are motorcycles, at least I have seen none yet (chapter 6), and I never saw one on the streets. The way the Shift mechanic works, they would have to model a whole load of people as you'd see them on the bikes at all time (unlike in the cars), so it would be a lot of work to put them in I guess.

Speaking of chapter 6 -
weird stuff just happened
. I like the way this is heading :)

I never expected a Driver game to tap into my love of Live on Mars and Quantum Leap, but it did.

I hope the game doesn't bomb. Only 150 replies in the OT... doesn't seem like a lot of interest. I think most everyone thought it would suck and here we are it's apparently awesome. I'm gonna buy it and support the team. Another thing... Ubisoft said it took 4 years to develop and tens of millions of dollars. Wow I really hope it doesn't bomb. That's a ton of time and money.

SkylineRKR

Up in Chapter 4 now. This game is ridiculously fun. I hardly progress into the story, its far too cool to do all those dares and activities.

I also have to say that the handling is flat out amazing. The racing mission in the demo didn't control well and I hated it, but in the full game I've driven a DeLorean, Ford GT, Camaro SS etc and the gameplay feels excellent and very different per car too. Sense of speed, cockpit view (well, every view is great), physics, framerate are all in place. This game is almost polished to perfection.

The story is being brought B-movie like. Deliberately, as the actual quality of the music, cutscenes and stuff is really A+. 'Previously on Driver' is pretty great and typically cheesy as well.

The demo was off putting, but make no mistake, I think the actual game will end up being one of the very best of this year. If this fails, Ubisoft did something terribly wrong (demo, timing etc).

SkylineRKR said:
If this fails, Ubisoft did something terribly wrong (demo, timing etc).
Making me wait a month for the PC version is strike one, especially in this crowded field.

I only have so much money Ubisoft, and I'm buying games I didn't even budget for from positive reviews - like Space Marine.

Oh no, now I have to get the game. :( +1 to the list...

I'm seemingly one of the few people who actually liked the demo... lol. I'm sure I'll like the full thing, now.

A question... How is the online multiplayer? I played the multiplayer demo, thought it was pretty fun, but not necessarily special.

Why would you do that? said:
A question... How is the online multiplayer? I played the multiplayer demo, thought it was pretty fun, but not necessarily special.

Not sure if serious. The multiplayer demo was way better than the SP one, and that's from someone who enjoyed both. I'm sure the full MP experience is even better.

And I'll know as soon as UPS can get here :mad:

Bastards. I struggled but managed to keep Resistance 3 on the back-burner buying list but this thread has broken me on Driver San Francisco.

I'm seriously thinking about grabbing this after work.

CloakedPuppet said:
Bastards. I struggled but managed to keep Resistance 3 on the back-burner buying list but this thread has broken me on Driver San Francisco.

I'm seriously thinking about grabbing this after work.

The only reason I would caution against buying would be if you've grown sick of driving/racer games. If you have, then there is nothing amazing that will change your mind here. However, if you still like that genre, this game wraps up all the typical driving/racer stuff in a very fun package along with great ideas that make it fun to play.

Also, the game makes great use of the crazy premise it dreamt up, by including things that would not work in any other racer. I feel like I am reaching the end now (been playing on and off since Friday), and I have saw a few really nice things I was not expecting in the back half of the game

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Gotta say, I haven't had this much fun in a driving game since Crazy Taxi and Burnout 3.

Slightly off-topic, but the horn riff playing in the early missions sounds familiar. Does anyone recognize the real song that they're evoking?

edit: Amy Winehouse- You Know I'm No Good. Midomi.com got it after I played it by ear on the keyboard.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Amazon shipped my Dead Island but not my San Fran. I picked one day delivery for both, and it's 7 pm cst. The paranoia is killing me!

Bollocks

So there comes this lvl 1 guy in a 10-20lvl lobby, next thing I know, I've won that game. Tag, second best guy had 33, get real noobs.
They spoke some weird language all I could hear was my PSN name, repeatedly :D

Drewfonse

Damnit, people, I'm probably going to buy this game now. My main concern is the game's length. Several reviews have stated that the story mode is in the 7-8 hour range, which is short-ish. Is there a point to doing the side stuff? Do you earn anything substantial by doing them? I wouldn't blast right through the story, but then again I wouldn't do ALL of the side missions. I'm hoping for 11-12 hours of gameplay. Too much to ask?

Going to sleep now, when I awake, I shall expect a full report. That is all.

Bollocks

Drewfonse said:
Damnit, people, I'm probably going to buy this game now. My main concern is the game's length. Several reviews have stated that the story mode is in the 7-8 hour range, which is short-ish. Is there a point to doing the side stuff? Do you earn anything substantial by doing them? I wouldn't blast right through the story, but then again I wouldn't do ALL of the side missions. I'm hoping for 11-12 hours of gameplay. Too much to ask?

Going to sleep now, when I awake, I shall expect a full report. That is all.
Nope, the content this game offers is more than enough for 11-12h, 18h in and I've completed so far:
Main story
80 dares - short challenges like driving 30sec above 90mph in oncoming traffic, drift/jump 50m, smash 200 objects in 30sec,...
40 activities - classic check point race, cop pursuits, fire truck mission, defuse bomb, protect van,...
As said this alone took me 18h.
On top of that are 32 additional challenges all with online leaderboard.
Some are inspired by classic movie getaway scenes some are your typical sprint, checkpoint, drift race.
You can also shift into a police vehicle any time and take down bad guys.

MP is level based, you unlock certain game types and extras as you go.

With all that, you'll find 12h of gameplay before you know it ;)

Jintor

If there's anything wrong with the Driver release it's timing. It's been quiet for months and suddenly this week is just filled with quality releases.

xXJonoXx

codhand said:
Is this the thread where I giggle about Driver possibly having a higher Meta than Dead Island and Resistance 3?

lol after you posted this I went and checked Metacritic for all of the 9/6 games

Resistance 3: 83
Driver SF: 80
Warhammer 40k SM: 73
Dead Island: 72

Now, if Resistance 3 drops a few points, the true king of 9/6 will be crowned in its rightful place!

It's funny how the best rated game of this week is going to sell the least amount of units, especially with the amount of people I seen trying to buy Dead Island at midnight launches.

Jintor said:
If there's anything wrong with the Driver release it's timing. It's been quiet for months and suddenly this week is just filled with quality releases.

I also wondered why Driver was scheduled to release on 8/30 for so long and it would have sold tons more that week with its only competition being a new lame year for Madden. Why it was changed almost 3 weeks to launch is a question to me.

PSYGN

Too bad about no motorcycles... I hope they add it in a dlc!

BTW, are there invisible walls on overpasses? I was watching some videos of a guy driving a semi truck on the highway and had some crazy thoughts, but I have a feeling that there are invisible walls like the older Driver games...

Drewfonse

Bollocks said:
Nope, the content this game offers is more than enough for 11-12h, 18h in and I've completed so far:
Main story
80 dares - short challenges like driving 30sec above 90mph in oncoming traffic, drift/jump 50m, smash 200 objects in 30sec,...
40 activities - classic check point race, cop pursuits, fire truck mission, defuse bomb, protect van,...
As said this alone took me 18h.
On top of that are 32 additional challenges all with online leaderboard.
Some are inspired by classic movie getaway scenes some are your typical sprint, checkpoint, drift race.
You can also shift into a police vehicle any time and take down bad guys.

MP is level based, you unlock certain game types and extras as you go.

With all that, you'll find 12h of gameplay before you know it ;)

Wallet am cry.

legbone

PSYGN said:
Too bad about no motorcycles... I hope they add it in a dlc!

BTW, are there invisible walls on overpasses? I was watching some videos of a guy driving a semi truck on the highway and had some crazy thoughts, but I have a feeling that there are invisible walls like the older Driver games...

yes, unfortunately there are invisible walls everywhere. i tried to jump from the freeway down to another road off of a transport truck and met an invisible wall. one of the few negatives of this game.

Curufinwe

codhand said:
Is this the thread where I giggle about Driver possibly having a higher Meta than Dead Island and Resistance 3?

It's also the place to giggle about all the people in the Edge 232 thread who outright dismissed the Edge & Eurogamer 8/10 reviews as being inflated by UK bias. They really should have waited to see what the general reception was.

This review won't make MetaCritic, but CheapyD of CheapAssGamer gave it 5/5.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/?f=2499

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I watched the Game Trailers review and got Burnout Paradise vibes. Are they pretty similar games with the shift mechanic added onto Driver?

Keyser Soze said:
The only reason I would caution against buying would be if you've grown sick of driving/racer games. If you have, then there is nothing amazing that will change your mind here. However, if you still like that genre, this game wraps up all the typical driving/racer stuff in a very fun package along with great ideas that make it fun to play.

Also, the game makes great use of the crazy premise it dreamt up, by including things that would not work in any other racer. I feel like I am reaching the end now (been playing on and off since Friday), and I have saw a few really nice things I was not expecting in the back half of the game

Thanks for the response. I grabbed it and am glad I did. This game is tons of fun and quite addictive!

The Trailblazer that goes along the freeway + Golden Gate Bridge in multiplayer...

A...MA...ZING

EDIT: And I love the body language of the cars. The way supercars and muscle cars sway during handbrake drifts is a thing of beauty.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
A Human Becoming said:
I watched the Game Trailers review and got Burnout Paradise vibes. Are they pretty similar games with the shift mechanic added onto Driver?
On a broad level they are somewhat similar, but Driver is a much more directed experience. You don't have to drive to a mission to start it, for example. Pennants will mark the track to help keep you on course. There are lots of small changes that make a large difference in the experience, in a positive way, IMO.

The handling feels a lot weightier than BO, but still more forgiving than the original Driver. Multiplayer is more fun with players of unequal skill level than BO due to the shift mechanic. It lends more tension to the matches. It almost hearkens back to titles like Micro Machines.

PSYGN

legbone said:
yes, unfortunately there are invisible walls everywhere. i tried to jump from the freeway down to another road off of a transport truck and met an invisible wall. one of the few negatives of this game.

Ah, too bad (really a minor point but thanks for answering!). Otherwise the game looks very polished (nice cockpit view) and fun. I've probably watched 20+ videos of the game. I'm still interested in it... nice of them to add multiplayer splitscreen.

I hope the next game (if there is one) supports:

- Day/Night cycle
- Dynamic weather
- Motorcycles
- Less invisible walls
- Steering wheel support
- Multiplayer splitscreen online (I'm very grateful that they added splitscreen)

Then it'll be perfect for me.

Net_Wrecker said:
Not sure if serious. The multiplayer demo was way better than the SP one, and that's from someone who enjoyed both. I'm sure the full MP experience is even better.

And I'll know as soon as UPS can get here :mad:
Actually, I like the Multiplayer demo, but I didn't play it as much as the Singleplayer. I think I'd play the Racing a lot more, though.

I like the Qualification rounds, for some reason.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
whats the language like? its rated 12 in the UK but is it safe to play in front of/with younger kids?

shame the PC version isn't out until the end of September. I don't think I can wait that long - getting too close to Dark Souls time

Just put ~4 hours into MP between all the different modes + messing around with a friend in Free roam racing on the freeways, and jumping tankers over the ramp trucks.

Yeah, this game is fun as hell.

So I'm gathering from the OP that Driv3r was NOT good? I had no idea this series was still around. Would this make a good Redbox rental?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lazlo said:
It has the Online required at start-up version of drm, and probably wont be steam.
It's on Steam but it doesn't have Steamworks. I also heard that there are no local multiplayer options in the PC version, which gave me pause.

Tokubetsu

fastkilr said:
Really didn't get the appeal of the shift mechanic until I played it and now I can't stop. So much better than expected.

Yep!

EDIT: I have to add, my sub is getting a real workout with this game. It's mainly in the actual soundtrack selection and not sfx though but still. Game sounds great...I might keep it from gamefly and forgoe buy Gears 3. Damn.

xXJonoXx

The tire smoke tech in this game is sooooo amazing. I love it. Sometimes I just do doughnuts for 10 minutes starring at it. Also, I love how when you do a doughnut, then let the car go straight, the smoke doesn't just stop coming out of the tires, it sort of slowly dissipates as you begin moving faster.

benjipwns

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Is the PC version still on track for the end of the month?
Yeah, 27th on Steam at least. If you didn't see, they got rid of the always-on Ubi DRM for the check on startup version.
xXJonoXx said:
The tire smoke tech in this game is sooooo amazing. I love it. Sometimes I just do doughnuts for 10 minutes starring at it. Also, I love how when you do a doughnut, then let the car go straight, the smoke doesn't just stop coming out of the tires, it sort of slowly dissipates as you begin moving faster.
I remember, back during the release of the original, this diverse swarm of people at Best Buy excitedly gathered around the kiosk doing nothing but donuts.

NE1WeKnow

Neo Member
Wow some GAF love for this game. The OT even hovers around the first couple of pages too.

It was so frustrating when it was just legbone, Net_Wrecker and I sounding off about how the Driver franchise was back in a big way, posting links to preview videos only to get blasted or ignored.

Anyhoo... spare a thought for this crazy Driver fan who is facing a weekend without the game. I'm waiting for my collectors edition to come from UK to Australia (to save AU$35 which I'm starting to think wasn't worth it). My 7 day EB "rental" expired a few days back so at least I've had a good go at the game but I want my personal copy dammit!

Anyone playing with the Film Director yet? I spent an hour or so with it but finding your clip on Driver Club seems to take a day or so.

Here's a replay tweeted by @UbiReflections
Link

Top Bottom