• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune | Official Main Trailer

What did you think of the heartplugs, Barron face decease, cat milking, weirding modules etc in Lynch's version? :lollipop_grinning: :messenger_winking_tongue:
I haven't seen Lynch's version, neither have I watched the mini-series. I read the book like 2 years ago and I decided to wait for this movie before seeing the previous stuff. I know Lynch hates to talk about the movie because the studio really fucked it up but I haven't watched it.

Artoris

Gold Member
I haven't seen Lynch's version, neither have I watched the mini-series. I read the book like 2 years ago and I decided to wait for this movie before seeing the previous stuff. I know Lynch hates to talk about the movie because the studio really fucked it up but I haven't watched it.
I think the Lynch's version was quite good, the book was excellent the two games in the early Nineties were good, and I have not seen the series

hemo memo

Gold Member
Best movie I have watched this year, despite me truly hating movies split in two halves. It felt fresh, innovative, stunning. Sci-fi for grown ups, with a marvellous musical score. Watch it in the largest screen you can find where you live, ideally IMAX. It's one of those movies that needs to be seen on the big screen.
Indeed. The CGI work is phenomenal.

I think the Lynch's version was quite good, the book was excellent the two games in the early Nineties were good, and I have not seen the series
I'll watch Lynch's movie after I watch the new one so I can compare them. Obviously this one is meant as a first part and Lynch had to cram the full book into 1 movie. It definitely has great actors so I'll be checking it out soon.

Cyberpunkd

By the power of babysitting I saw the movie today - visually and musically the first hour is one of the best I ever experienced in a movie. After that is slows down a bit but the movie is still extremely strong.

As many have said visuals are out of this world. Also the music is incredible.

Cyberpunkd

Zimmer's soundtrack is out as well.

It's pretty good!

E_Z8DuHWUAMZLqz.jpg:large
I actually downloaded it the moment I came back home from the cinema and was disappointed - need to listen to it with proper headphones and DAC instead of a HomePod in the middle of the room with 2 kids.

Can't wait! This will be the first movie I'll see in theaters in almost two years. Dang.
I don’t remember the last time I was in the cinema - definitely before Covid, so probably 2 years as well.

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

I actually downloaded it the moment I came back home from the cinema and was disappointed - need to listen to it with proper headphones and DAC instead of a HomePod in the middle of the room with 2 kids.
And DV says mobile viewing is sub-par 😂 I hope the wrap arounds do HZ's sound justice when you get a much needed respite from absolute chaos, friend!

SJRB

Gold Member
I just got home from seeing this in theatres in 3D, and I am in awe.

This might be the most amazing cinema experience I've ever had. That was absolutely incredible from beginning to end.

The story, the visuals, the music. I was entranced from beginning to end. What an incredible experience.

See this in theatres, people. It is worth it.

Romulus

Everyone is saying this looks great. I'm glad the trailers don't spoil much then because all the scenes look very empty and plain in the trailer. Not exciting, interesting, or action packed.

Aggelos

Guys, stop your grinning and drop your linen. Dune got leaked, one week earlier...

Some people allege that it was probably done by WB themselves to piss off and drive off Denis Villeneuve. They drove off Christopher Nolan last year with their decision to do simultaneous releases in the theatres and HBO Max, and Denis was one of those who expressed his disgruntlement about that decision of theirs.
But the jackals of interwebz offer it for downloading.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Certainly a must-see movie would be a shame if they’re only able to produce 1 movie from the book series, Harry Potter got multiple films, Hunger Games got multiple movies.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Taking my father to see this next saturday !
First time going to cinema since The Lighthouse almost 2 years ago wow.
I've only seen the original last month or so and loved it

Dural

I still think it was annoyingly stupid not to film both halves at the same time.
Now we are stuck in a position where if the film doesnt do well enough (very possible under the circumstances) we will never get the second half.

Yeah, I didn’t realize they didn’t film the whole thing until reading some reviews. What’s the point of releasing half the story? Is it not cheaper to film it all at once, I swear I’ve been told that with several other franchises. I just can’t wrap my head around sending this movie out there with no plan to finish it. I feel like it’s just going to piss the audience off.

Cyberpunkd

Yeah, I didn’t realize they didn’t film the whole thing until reading some reviews. What’s the point of releasing half the story? Is it not cheaper to film it all at once, I swear I’ve been told that with several other franchises. I just can’t wrap my head around sending this movie out there with no plan to finish it. I feel like it’s just going to piss the audience off.
Cheaper per movie yes, but obviously the price tag is still higher in total. So instead of 100 each we get something like 80+80.

The main issue will be all the scheduling conflicts since actors constantly move on to other projects. I don’t expect the movie to come out in the next 5 years.

BaneIsPain

Watch it yesterday. pretty good overall. A pretty small deviation from the book iinm (the last time I read the book is 20 years ago, so can't recall scene by scene). The sandworm scene is great.

clarky

Gold Member
What's the chances of part 2? Pretty fucking shitty if WB don't give us the rest of this godly goodness.

Fools idol

Banned
I LOVE how they have remained respectful and true to the designs of the book. Great stuff - gives me confidence that it wont be watered down.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Going to see it at the cinema this weekend. Haven't been this excited to see a film at the cinema since Return of the King back in 03.

Spaceman292

Banned
I still think it was annoyingly stupid not to film both halves at the same time.
Now we are stuck in a position where if the film doesnt do well enough (very possible under the circumstances) we will never get the second half.
The sequel's got a big time skip so there's no hurry

MachRc

As a fan that actually read the books(underground orgies), enjoyed the original film, and played those awesome Westwood Studios games(Ordos ftw).

I thought it was a good take on the original film, ended too early

..And there must be a David Bautista Cut, as I feel he was posturing the whole film without doing much.

Like here I am, maybe if you greenlight a second film.... Ill do something....

C+

I just got home from seeing this in theatres in 3D, and I am in awe.

This might be the most amazing cinema experience I've ever had. That was absolutely incredible from beginning to end.

The story, the visuals, the music. I was entranced from beginning to end. What an incredible experience.

See this in theatres, people. It is worth it.
Like I wasn't already hyped out of this world for this lol.

Can't wait!!!

dorkimoe

Going to be watching maybe tonight or tomorrow at home, i expect to be bored out of my mind, but hoping for the best.

Dural

Anyone know what chapter I'll need to get through for Part 1? I listened/read the book last year but wasn't really into it so want to try and get through the chapters the movie covers as a refresher.

dorkimoe

That's exactly how I felt going in. Captivated me the whole time. This movie could have been six hours long and still be too short. The music and visuals alone blew me away.
Started it last night. Made it 30 min. Deciding to wait for hbo official release. I need 4k atmos. I’m actually intrigued so far by the story. Had to wiki a lot of terms they are talking about. Need subtitles too

Fbh

Is this getting some sort of 4K HDR release any time soon?

Really want to watch but I wonder if it's worth it wait a couple of extra for that.

clarky

Gold Member
Started it last night. Made it 30 min. Deciding to wait for hbo official release. I need 4k atmos. I’m actually intrigued so far by the story. Had to wiki a lot of terms they are talking about. Need subtitles too
Yeah if I wasn't at work I would be straight down the cinema for this one. Unfortunately Im stuck offshore for the next couple of months so not an option for me. Hope you like it as much as i did.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Is this getting some sort of 4K HDR release any time soon?

Really want to watch but I wonder if it's worth it wait a couple of extra for that.

It releases day and date with the cinema release. Or a day earlier even.

Film was great. Leagues ahead of the 1984 film. It shouldn't even be said, actually.

I still want to see Jodorowsky's adaptation the most though.

G-Bus

Banned
Seeing this tomorrow early afternoon. Wasn't gonna go for IMAX but after seeing the impressions here I will.

Fuck 3D though. Can't stand that shit

Butch_0451

Just came back from the BFI IMAX. It’s good but it drags on for too long also there are parts in the film where the sound mixing is poor and you don’t understand what’s being said much like Tenet.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

according to imdb part 2 is already in pre produciton stages, but the actos have credits for it already. so i am assuming its coming.
Surprised they didn’t shoot it back to back

Just finished. Surprisingly I loved it. A few things I don’t fully understand like all the factions and houses and who is in charge. But movie was so good.the pacing is fantastic

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Everytime I saw the trailer for this movie I had flashbacks to however old I was sitting watching all the awful boring dialogue in phantom menace. For anyone on the fence about watching this, I didn’t feel like there was any wasted boring talking. Was just a well paced movie.

Top Bottom