• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DWARF FORTRESS - For real this time. - This topic is for you (yes YOU)

It might be handy to start making a list of all the people who are interested in a succession game. I'd be interested.

Probably a good idea. SA is going to be starting one up which I guess involves making the fortress into a giant death trap. Then they're going to visit it in adventure mode and see who can do what.

If people keeping up with the game is difficult then the succession game could be limited to some type of theme. Should prevent it from going on forever.

Diman

So far we have (in no particular order)

• Something Awful
  • Manik
  • videogames
  • DeathIsTheEnd
  • Diman

Now we have to pick an area to embark to and decide what the main theme/goals of the succession game will be.

In my current game I just went from 12 to 55 dwarfs. A migrant wave of 43 dwarfs is not funny :(

I'm out. Even aside from the fact that I'm a succession killer, I just don't have the time to play/write it up fast enough to keep it going.

I look forward to reading it though!

So far we have (in no particular order)

• SA
  • Manik
  • videogames
  • DeathIsTheEnd
  • Diman

Now we have to pick an area to embark to and decide what the main theme/goals of the succession game will be.

In my current game I just went from 12 to 55 dwarfs. A migrant wave of 43 dwarfs is not funny :(

SA is Something Awful. . .

The first embark should be something simple but with crazy objectives. So a mountainside retreat with a kitten canon.

Diman

Have you guys played with this version yet? Stable enough to jump in if I have time this weekend?

It's very stable for me so far. No crashes at all.
Toady has optimized the game, so it actually plays more smoothly now.
I continuously have a framerate of 100 (standard maximum framerate).
Creating a world has become slower though, but that is to be expected with all the additions he made.
My favorite new addition to this game is the ability to dig multiple Z levels. Gone are the days of manually designating 40 Z levels of stairways.

There have been reports of errors in Adventure mode with not being able to talk to people, waking up on roofs, and lots of encounters with bandits.

I guess there is a patch incoming real soon that fixes a lot of stuff!

But till then fortress mode also has marksdwarves that have trouble training and giant mosquitos that are everywhere.

So it's perfect to play this weekend.

I just read through the entire Boatmurdered saga. I'm almost tempted to try Dwarf Fortress. Almost.

Why is it an almost?

As far as DF successions go, Something Awful is the best. They were running the same seed for a couple rounds and it produced some great stuff. Their glacier game had some really good stuff going on.

Going to drop my dwarves in the middle of an evil biome. Hopefully I don't get killed by the skeleton kitten army I'll end up creating.

It's weird how I enjoy watching this game being streamed as much as playing it.

For a tileset: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57557.0

Due to the discovery of a nasty save corruption bug, Toady's going to be patching the game tomorrow. Bug fixes are:

fixed save corruption/crashing from old forts
made dwarves with cancelled jobs stop walking to their destination
made removing designations cancel active jobs again
fixed a mouse problem with designations
stopped books from being duplicated in adv inventory
stopped companions from becoming hungry and thirsty during travel
stopped worshippers of certain beings from mentioning it
stopped glazed items from having cabochon shapes in the glaze
made arena generate some interaction effects for placement on creatures
fixed various grammar/raw/manual problems

Just did my first ever round of Adventure Mode. Lasted 5 minutes.

In that time I:
-Killed one person by bashing his brains through his skull with my bronze war maul
-got attacked by two other dudes during the first fight
-kept getting shot by crossbowmen (those whores)
-promptly died after the axeman I was attempting to fight cut off one of my legs

All I can say is, Awesome.

Well I've finally perfected my irrigation system. Unfortunately, to figure out the last piece of the puzzle I had to flush a dwarf down a ravine.

Now he is haunting my kitchen while my river fills with dwarf blood from upstream that is off my map. I have no idea what is going on but this sinister biome is amazing.

All those dust clouds have been tearing up the wild life and I'm pretty sure the merchants are about to get eviscerated by the purple fog. money money money

Some stuff has been fixed with 0.34.02 being released, though unfortunately you'll have to restart.

Windows | Linux | Mac

Dwarf Therapist 0.6.12 has just been released which fixes a few things and includes 0.34.02 support.

Windows

List of Dwarf Fortress stuff:

New stuff
(*) Generated some default interaction effects for arena use
(*) SDL version: Can repeat commands/macros - default Ctrl+u <number> <command> (Baughn)
(*) SDL version: Can toggle TrueType - default F12 (Baughn)

Major bug fixes
(*) Save corruption/crash from old forts and some other sites corrected
(*) Fixed conversation crash
(*) Fixed werewolf crash after aborted world generation
(*) Stopped books and other artifacts from duplicating in player inventory
(*) Stopped companions from getting hungry/thirsty during travel
(*) Correct ambush frequency in adv mode
(*) Made it possible to remove designation jobs again

Other bug fixes/tweaks
(*) SDL version: various technical fixes (Baughn)
(*) Dwarves will stop walking toward cancelled jobs
(*) Made wagons appear again (Quietust)
(*) Stopped mouse designation from messing with keyboard designation
(*) Stopped lye making from using full water buckets (Quietust)
(*) Made magma/fire safe building materials work properly (Quietust)
(*) Stopped worshippers of certain beings from mentioning it
(*) Cleaned up stone menu (Quietust)
(*) Doors/floodgates display properly after being placed (Quietust)
(*) Stopped glazed items from having cabochon shapes in the glaze
(*) Sped up conversation initialization
(*) Made forge jobs use bar amounts properly (Quietust)
(*) Made automated fisher/kitchen/etc. settings display properly (Quietust)
(*) Stopped weird job cancellation numbers for bars/cloth/thread
(*) Various manual/other grammar tweaks
(*) Various broken creature tweaks, notably the giant mosquito epidemic should end

List of Dwarf Therapist stuff:

MAJOR CHANGES:
* Support for 0.34.02 (graphics + legacy version)
BUG FIXES:
* Closes issue 382 - Migration waves are wonky
* Closes issue 383 - Ability to set child labor in Dwarf Therapist
* Closes issue 368 - Beekeepers, waxworkers always show 0 experience
* Closes issue 290 - Bow, not Lasher
STILL AT LARGE:
* Issue 381 - Vampires cannot hide from Dwarf Therapist

Hey guys, DF newb here.

I have a question concerning nobles.

I see that even by starting a brand new fortress, I have the option of appointing the Hammerer and Sheriff positions to my dwarves.

From what I've been reading, these are only used for beating my dwarves, potentially to death whenever they get mad or don't come up with some demand that isn't met.

Most guides actually suggest puting a weak dwarf, poorly armed so that my troops don't die from the beating. What's the drawback to simply not having one?

And second, am I FORCED to have one after a certain point? Or can I just leave that position vacant endlessly?

Zona

Your not forced to but other nobles will get bad thoughts from “Crime” going unpunished. I also think you need a sheriff to take care of Vampires.

Thanks! I also have another question.

Some of my dwarves (like 5 of them) are stuck in "Cancels store owned item: Item inaccessible".

Yet I looked in the jobs and the item one of them is trying to store is a "Prickle Berry", yet when I look in my stocks, I have none of those, only prickle berry seeds, and my bookkeeper is set for maximum accuracy.

My "a" menu is basically flooded with red messages spamming this, and it's making it unreadable.

DFhack was updated (v0.34.02), it is really quite useful.

DFHack 0.34.02 r1

What's new:
Support for 34.02. 34.01 was skipped.
The DFusion plugin isn't present in this release because it need more work to be ready. I know warmist is working on it, so stay tuned for more.
DF2Minecraft isn't present either - mostly due to bugginess. It will come back once it's updated to the new Minecraft map format and debugged/rewritten for performance.
A new follow plugin that allows you to make the game follow a particular creature with the view automatically. It's like magic
Some minor tweaks to existing plugins.
Some of the fix* plugins might not make sense anymore. Don't run them unless you think you need them.

Windows version (with Stonesense)
Linux version (with Stonesense)

0.34.03 is now out.

Windows | Linux | Mac

Changes:
Major bug fixes
(*) Fixed crash with historical figure cull vs. wandering groups
(*) Stopped historical figures from starving
(*) Stopped various corruption crashes and weird effects, mainly from aborted world gens (nice catch, Lightning4!)
(*) Stopped original population associated to historical figure from screwing up its allegiances
(*) Stopped it from moving criminal leaders with routine civilian moves, changing their allegiances
(*) Stopped populations from villages/trade partners from migrating into dungeon outcast groups all at once (one group had 15000!)
(*) Stopped werebeasts from gumming up world gen
(*) Stopped raised corpses from having various allegiances
(*) Vampires that take over sites lose other allegiances
(*) Made soldiers from previous forts clean up military info upon arrival at current fort
(*) Stopped ghosts and royal family members and undisguised vampires (aside from the king/king's group vamps) from immigrating to fort
(*) Fixed a new bug that completely stopped archery training
(*) SDL version: TrueType crash from long strings (Baughn)

Other bug fixes/tweaks
(*) Changed which entity moves to which sites, mainly so elf pops don't live in fortresses and vice versa without acclimating to a city first
(*) Set labor list for migrants by default (can turn off in data/d_init.txt)
(*) Added a tab for other stones in stone list and made stones with a reaction product class list as economic in stone list
(*) Sped up adv mode loading/offloading somewhat, and cleaning should be a bit faster -- there are still really slow patches that need work
(*) Controlled snatcher number in world gen
(*) Decreased questing rate in world gen
(*) Stopped reraised corpses from bleeding to death
(*) Stopped forbid/melt/traffic/etc. mouse from messing with keyboard
(*) Gave more indication for forbidden workshops
(*) Made forbid/etc. from stocks screen not effect building items when applied to an entire group
(*) Changed ramp names to indicate unusability due to missing walls or lack of space above
(*) Sterilized zombies and mummies (only husk-type zombies need the STERILE tag)
(*) Cleaned up some botched zombie names (old saves will need to let their zombies fall once and they should be better on reraise)
(*) Made vampires fleeing to site in world gen require pop to fit into
(*) Made vampire cults follow tyrant vampires properly
(*) Vampire nicknames, profession, position names work
(*) Vampires won't try to pin crimes on animals
(*) Can 'g'et items from cabinets and other building furniture in adv mode now
(*) Kea will not follow each other so closely when stealing
(*) Fixed busted horseshoe crabs/men
(*) Improved the age name calculator, especially as it regards the dominant race after megabeasts are cleared
(*) Changed treasure room quality and item selection
(*) Stopped designation at the bottom of the map from unhiding portions of it sometimes
(*) Unobscured unit list option from main menu
(*) Stopped world gen group from lingering in memory after bandits become criminals under town
(*) Goblins can have higher pops in their important towns
(*) Applied att change syndrome size modifiers properly (stops weird speed issues with adv blood drinking)
(*) A few other minor tweaks listed in file_changes.txt
(*) SDL version: Highlighting on unit screen fixed for TrueType (Baughn)
(*) SDL version: Turning on playback while recording will no longer record the previously recorded keys (Baughn)
(*) SDL version: TrueType text will now overwrite properly in some adventure mode circumstances (Baughn)
(*) SDL version: Fixed some minor memory leaks (Baughn)
(*) SDL version: Minor stability improvements (Baughn)
(*) SDL version: Fixed some of the spacing issues with TrueType

Love this game so much, I put about 18 hours a day on average into it, sometimes will miss a session, but on average I play 5-6 times a week.I think I am gonna go for a 24 hour session this weekend, I haven't pulled one of those in awhile, but I am keen for a nice session with no distractions so the weekend is best for a clean 24 hour run.

Diman

Love this game so much, I put about 18 hours a day on average into it, sometimes will miss a session, but on average I play 5-6 times a week.I think I am gonna go for a 24 hour session this weekend, I haven't pulled one of those in awhile, but I am keen for a nice session with no distractions so the weekend is best for a clean 24 hour run.

I normally play it in the background while doing other stuff, unless there is a siege off course :)

As long I can raise my drawbridge good enough, everything is fine. My fort is also self-sufficient, except for the wood. I haven't reached the cave layer yet. I first have to raise a proper military before I try to tackle the cave layer to find sources for wood.

I normally play it in the background while doing other stuff, unless there is a siege off course :)

As long I can raise my drawbridge good enough, everything is fine. My fort is also self-sufficient, except for the wood. I haven't reached the cave layer yet. I first have to raise a proper military before I try to tackle the cave layer to find sources for wood.

I know what you saying, my military is pretty massive,the cave layer is pretty cool once you get there.My fort is also self sufficient but its huge, its gotta be one of the biggest out there.I am so keen for a session now, might have to do my 24 hour run sooner than the weekend, might start tonight.Then sleep the whole of Friday and try another 24 hour run over the weekend.

Haven't done them so close before, I think I,ll be ok if I just drink plenty of water, and have a red bull only every 4 hours.Its so much fun though that 24 hours feels like 4 hours.

Diman

I know what you saying, my military is pretty massive,the cave layer is pretty cool once you get there.My fort is also self sufficient but its huge, its gotta be one of the biggest out there.I am so keen for a session now, might have to do my 24 hour run sooner than the weekend, might start tonight.Then sleep the whole of Friday and try another 24 hour run over the weekend.

Haven't done them so close before, I think I,ll be ok if I just drink plenty of water, and have a red bull only every 4 hours.Its so much fun though that 24 hours feels like 4 hours.

Time really flies when playing DF. How much military do I need before venturing inside the cave layer? I'll take precautions off course by making an proper drawbridge as a last resort. I'm scared of what I'll find in those caverns. Forgotten beasts might lurk there :(

Time really flies when playing DF. How much military do I need before venturing inside the cave layer? I'll take precautions off course by making an proper drawbridge as a last resort. I'm scared of what I'll find in those caverns. Forgotten beasts might lurk there :(

The bigger the better, when you think its big enough, get more soldiers.The caverns are not a safe place trust me.You don't want to be caught off guard.And of course a proper drawbridge is mandatory.But how many hours do you put into a session?You really gotta put the time in to reap the rewards, and trust me the rewards are beyond anything you could ever fathom trust me, its worth it if you take your time to do it right.

The feeling when everything is working is amazing, I cant describe it, its easily my biggest achievement in life and I don't think anything else will come close to the good times DF has given me.Hence why I do the 24 hour play marathons, sure I have had to make sacrifices like not having a girlfriend or friends or even pets.But its been worth it.I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Diman

Instead of checking every new migrants biography , one by one, has anyone found a good method to identify vampires?

Manik

Shameless self-plugging ahead, but I've recently started keeping a game diary of my first ever foray into adventure mode (I'd never touched the mode before the update) which might be of interest to anyone else who has stuck to fortress mode only before, like I did.

I've only just started writing it up, but so far I've gotten a quest to hunt out a night creature that's terrorising the capital and been in a couple of bruising encounters with werewolves and roaming peasants.

It's over HERE if anyone fancies taking a look. And if anyone can offer any advice as to what I'm doing horribly wrong, or add some general pointers, then I'd greatly appreciate it. As I say, this is the first time I've tried the mode, so I'm pretty clueless on it all!

(If I'm not really allowed to self-plug, do just let me know and I'll edit it out. Not sure what the rules are on that kind of thing! But advice is still appreciated either way.)

0.34.05 has been released with a few more fixes.

Windows | Linux | Mac

Changes:
Major bug fixes
(*) fixed crash from necromancers in dwarf mode
(*) fixed crash from seed traders that only have access to wool bags
(*) stopped adv mode sleeping from sticking you on rooftops and teleporting you outside of castles (underground case not done yet)
(*) removed many effects and secret identity from ghosts (vampirism/lycanthropy/necromancer status etc.)

Other bug fixes/tweaks
(*) traded adv mode items will go to backpack/quiver first depending on type
(*) dwarves won't get unhappy thoughts from dead/rotting relatives if their deaths are not known
(*) made various animals non-threatening (new saves only -- BENIGN tag can be added to old save raws, see file_changes.txt)
(*) stopped untowered necromancers from losing their zombie pops in their camps
(*) fixed broken names for bones and other butcher products
(*) removed items from abandoned houses/shops
(*) allowed adv mode abilities/powers to page through targets
(*) vampires no longer blame children/babies
(*) fixed broken companion paging/viewing for large numbers of companions
(*) stopped undead cats from adopting dwarves
(*) messed with crabs/horseshoe crab water behavior
(*) disallowed animation of bogeymen (new saves only)
(*) changed mule/muskox color
(*) fixed a few animal descriptions
(*) eyes/eyelids were broken in various ways
(*) tweaked appearance of nearly empty sleep bar

@Manik, I enjoyed reading your adventure and having never played that mode myself it's particularly fun.

How out of date is the info in the OP? I fancy giving this a shot (finally) - where do I start?

First of you want to download the Lazy Newb pack. It includes the game, a tileset so you don't have to put up with ASCII graphics, and a few useful utilities.

Someone's doing a series of tutorials on how to learn to play the latest version which are apparently very good.

If you have any problems you can either look at the wiki, post on the forum, or ask here.

Top Bottom