• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DWARF FORTRESS - For real this time. - This topic is for you (yes YOU)

Orayn

Oh, the OTHER most important thing about DF is that losing is fun. Your first few attempts will probably contain large amounts of "fun."

Manik

Can't wait to play this new release, but sadly I find it difficult without a tileset :( I've been spoiled over the years.

Hopefully the ttf improvements in this update help the tileset makers out a lot and a graphics pack won't be too far off.

Diman

Can't wait to play this new release, but sadly I find it difficult without a tileset :( I've been spoiled over the years.

Hopefully the ttf improvements in this update help the tileset makers out a lot and a graphics pack won't be too far off.

Apparently one of the tilesets already worked. I haven't been able to test it yet, since I'm still at the university. Can't wait to go home :(
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57557.0

I don't quite know what Phoebus means by "It "works"!", but that is apparently the current state of his tileset for 0.34.01.

* repeatedly hits head against desk*
Am I having fun yet?
*breaks down in tears*
I feel like I need to take DWRF1001 before playing this.

Now I just thought, it would be cool if there was a separate mode where the game would play the game for you.
That way my dwarfs wouldn't have to deal with an incompetent being ruling over them with a clumsy fist.

Does Dwarf Therapist work with this update?

No way I'm playing DF without it.

As of yet it doesn't, though the person who currently effectively maintains it says he'll be trying to get it working and I imagine there are other people trying to do the same.

In the meantime here's an image showing how vampires are rather strong: Link.

notsol337

marked forever
This game scares the hell out of me. I just can't survive. I've done 3 or 4 tutorials, and I just can't seem to grasp the basics of survival. It makes me a sad, sad, very sad panda. I know losing is fun, but I lose almost every time due to starvation and mad dwarves in the first year. Now losing is tedious!

Orayn

* repeatedly hits head against desk*
Am I having fun yet?
*breaks down in tears*
I feel like I need to take DWRF1001 before playing this.

Now I just thought, it would be cool if there was a separate mode where the game would play the game for you.
That way my dwarfs wouldn't have to deal with an incompetent being ruling over them with a clumsy fist.

Seize the fun. Make the fun your own.

EuMSh.png

This game scares the hell out of me. I just can't survive. I've done 3 or 4 tutorials, and I just can't seem to grasp the basics of survival. It makes me a sad, sad, very sad panda. I know losing is fun, but I lose almost every time due to starvation and mad dwarves in the first year. Now losing is tedious!

Do you currently have a routine that you try each time you play? If so what is it?

Yikes. If any of my forts end up facing off against an army of them, then... Ouch. It's not going to end well. I can barely hold off goblins at the best of times.

Well it's now possible that one of your starting dwarves or migrants could be a vampire without you knowing and they can kill other dwarves in secret which ties into the new justice system. I'll just post some of the relevant stuff from the dev page rather than poorly explaining it myself:

The last thing I got to was getting the historical dwarven vampires from world gen to come as migrants on occasion. Next up will be getting them to feed. This will leave one of your own dwarves routinely doing troubling things to the rest of your population, without you knowing immediately who is responsible. In order to make this a fun thing rather than an annoying thing, we're going to revamp the justice system a bit so that you can have crimes that have been committed (in the Justice screen, say) where the perpetrator is not known. In this case, the plan is to then have a witness to a bloodfeeding be able to report that to a guard/sheriff/etc., and then that'll be available for you when you decide on somebody to accuse/arrest/punish. You'll be able to accuse the wrong dwarf, and we might have the vampire or grudge-holding dwarves level false accusations that'll muddy the witness accounts a bit. It should be entertaining once it is tweaked and tested, but first I need to get the guts of it in.

Unfortunately for the dwarves, I had my first fatally drained of blood yesterday. This leaves the justice implications for all of this that I mentioned before. We're going to start by trying out a new system for dwarven death announcements involving dwarves being announced as missing rather than immediately being announced as dead, until the body is spotted and the death is confirmed. Having something like that in place will be very useful for many future additions, but the disturbance it'll cause to labor management and burial arrangements have to be considered, so we'll be attempting to tread carefully through the issues. I think having a lone dead dwarf announced as missing within a week of death shouldn't disrupt the fortress too much, and you'll see any event that threatens multiple dwarves immediately since the others will be able to instantly confirm the first death (leaving it exactly as it is now, with detailed death announcements, combat reports etc.). Witnesses of crimes won't be able to confirm deaths immediately, as that would let you zoom to the scene and the culprit, so confirmation of those'll have to wait until the crime is reported or a period of time passes. I suppose if the sheriff witnesses the crime (and so has no need to report it), the vampire screwed up and deserves to be caught -- if the sheriff is the vampire, then you screwed up and will need to rethink your assignment. If a body cannot be found (as in a cave-in), missing dwarves will be presumed dead after a time, before ghosts start showing up most likely, so you can have time to memorialize them, but failing that the appearance of a ghost will also serve as a death confirmation! As it stands, all "missing" dwarves will actually be dead, but it'll be fun to add situations where that isn't necessarily true later on. Dwarves snatched by the goblins might fit into this, since they'd be "missing" -- there's a balance of concerns, since having the "a dwarf has been snatched!" announcement is good to see, to avoid false bug reports if anything, but I think working to make a new system that covers everything is going to be the better alternative in the end. It would be amusing to make a hunter or miner that hasn't seen another one of your dwarves for a year or two be marked as missing, but that might be going too far, he he he.

Irish

Man, even on a freaking tutorial map I was getting confused as hell. It was all going fine until my dwarves decided they didn't need trade depot and were going to drink ALL of the water and then die of thirst afterwards. This can definitely be fun once I get a hold of the systems.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Man, even on a freaking tutorial map I was getting confused as hell. It was all going fine until my dwarves decided they didn't need trade depot and were going to drink ALL of the water and then die of thirst afterwards. This can definitely be fun once I get a hold of the systems.

if your dwarves are drinking water instead of booze you're already on the highway to hell.

Irish

if your dwarves are drinking water instead of booze you're already on the highway to hell.
Yeah, I thought they would drink up all that ale I had stored away... Guess not. I'm going to keep replaying this tutorial until I get it right. I keep getting to a point where my dwarves decide that working is lame. Of course, that's probably because I had nearly everyone hauling crap and only a few people mining/farming/building beds and crap.

I can't even begin to imagine how hellish it can get once I start getting attacked.

I am hooked though.

Emitan

As someone who has no problems playing roguelikes from a console I just can't make heads or tails of anything. I think it's the whole 2D 3D layers thing

Orayn

As someone who has no problems playing roguelikes from a console I just can't make heads or tails of anything. I think it's the whole 2D 3D layers thing

You pick up the ASCII/Curses symbols for stuff after a while. If you're still having trouble, get a tileset.

Irish

Yeah, using a tileset makes things a whole lot easier to comprehend. The different layers thing isn't much of a problem for me. Makes more sense when you start creating store rooms and the like on different levels.

Robin64

Oh my.. New fan here, then. I followed the newbie guide last night on my PC and was just blown away by how large in scope this game is. Needs a UI overhaul, I think, but the underlying game is just astonishing.

After I'd gone to bed, I downloaded the latest version on my Macbook but that didn't come with the tileset that the newbie guide one did. I found it too hard to play in ASCII mode, though, and a tileset I downloaded didn't seem to work. Do they need to be updated by the authors each version?

Manik

Oh my.. New fan here, then. I followed the newbie guide last night on my PC and was just blown away by how large in scope this game is. Needs a UI overhaul, I think, but the underlying game is just astonishing.

After I'd gone to bed, I downloaded the latest version on my Macbook but that didn't come with the tileset that the newbie guide one did. I found it too hard to play in ASCII mode, though, and a tileset I downloaded didn't seem to work. Do they need to be updated by the authors each version?
Yup, there are a few people who make tilesets for the game - Ironhand, Phoebus and Mayday - who are currently working to get them integrated into the new version. There's some initial, working ones that they've put up, to keep you going for now, if you have a look on the bay12games forum, or Google "mike mayday".

I'd find you a link but I'm posting from my phone :(

tborsje

Adventurer mode seems to be pretty awesome now. I was doing OK until me and my companions got instakilled by a bandit ambush.

I then tried Dwarf mode. But again, I didn't get very far. Giant Mosquitoes began smashing the heads of my dwarves open and sucking the blood out of their brains...
I could see a few improvements though. The 'units' screen is organised into tabs (or whatever you call tabs in ascii), and you can see flux stone on the embark screen again.

Phoebus's Graphics Set has been updated to work with the new version. Get it here.

But you might want to wait till Dwarf Therapist gets updated, as managing the dwarfs labour is pretty hard without it. When it's updated, I'd imagine that the Lazy Noob Pack will get an update too, which is a really handy way to get all the tilesets and external applications into one package.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Great, threadsplosion!
Btw, I am still super scared of having cats. I butcher them as soon as I can.

Adventurer mode seems to be pretty awesome now. I was doing OK until me and my companions got instakilled by a bandit ambush.

This is the only mode worth playing right now. I was sent off to kill some Chieftess by an armorer or Farmer, I dunno which. Get there and proceed to hack the shit out of the poor husband of my target because he was out picking berries. Found the Chieftess and hacked her leg off so her head became an easy target.

Then 20~ boogeymen attacked me on my way back to town and proceeded to rip every limb off my character.

Shame about that midterm this weekend.

Just don't let me take the game. I've done two successions and both times I finished up my shift and passed it on to see it never get continued.

That just means you did a really good job.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
This is the only mode worth playing right now. I was sent off to kill some Chieftess by an armorer or Farmer, I dunno which. Get there and proceed to hack the shit out of the poor husband of my target because he was out picking berries. Found the Chieftess and hacked her leg off so her head became an easy target.

Then 20~ boogeymen attacked me on my way back to town and proceeded to rip every limb off my character.

Shame about that midterm this weekend.

That just means you did a really good job.

Why would you say that?

Lack of Dwarf Therapist I'm guessing. It does make things quite a bit trickier.

Yeah, this.

And Adventure mode is a blast. Was told to go kill a vampire only to find out he is the Lord's jester or something. Threw my spear which crippled the vamp. Then the Lord emerges from the shadows with a knife and starts stabbing his friend before I can get a chokehold going. Ended up punching the thing in the head so hard blood flew out the back of her skull and across the room.

Going to go waddle over to some den now and get murdered. Should be fun.

Toma

Lack of Dwarf Therapist I'm guessing. It does make things quite a bit trickier.

Sort of understandable, but Fortress Mode is still very much enjoyable without the Therapist.Things wont go as smoothly, but that is a part of the game I guess.

Sort of understandable, but Fortress Mode is still very much enjoyable without the Therapist.Things wont go as smoothly, but that is a part of the game I guess.

The interface is the absolute worst thing about Dwarf Fortress, so I can totally understand people who don't enjoy the game without those additions. (Partly because I'm one of them.)

Sure, I could take the time to learn to fly through those menus and find individual dwarves to reassign them as fast as lightning... but I don't want to.

Toma

FALSER WORDS HAVE NEVER BEEN SPOKEN

The interface is the absolute worst thing about Dwarf Fortress, so I can totally understand people who don't enjoy the game without those additions. (Partly because I'm one of them.)

Sure, I could take the time to learn to fly through those menus and find individual dwarves to reassign them as fast as lightning... but I don't want to.

Yeah, I see where you guys are coming from. I dont even play with ASCII graphics, but I dont really have a problem doing that sort of stuff in the menus.

I am not opposing using the therapist though, great tool which I'll gladly use as soon as its available. But you guys make it seem unplayable, which is not quite true.

Mobius 1

It's not that bad. It becomes difficult after waves of immigrants, but to start a fort with basic industry it's not bad at all.

Irish

As someone who just started playing, I haven't really found it all that hard to assign tasks and the like with the regular menus. Of course, I haven't been able to play without a tileset (there's no sound now though. :/).

bunbun777

Well after building up my nerve I decided why not? I am going very slow as I know nothing of this game but I did pick a decent starting spot. Just figuring out how to start the initial mine and got that, hit unpause and immediately I see my fisherman go to the river and get attacked by a alligator- now there is a mutilated dog and dog dwarf and alligator blood all over. This is like 5 seconds in I am not prepared.

Oh and poor Iton Degelamkin has a torn and bruised upperbody, left leg, and head, he also happens to be the expedition leader. For now.

Put a garbage zone next to your mason. Then press D -> B -> D over all your stone. After that just D -> B over the garbage zone to reclaim them. What ends up happening is that your dwarves stack all the stone next to the mason freeing up tons of space and making your mason pump out shit faster.

That's just as crucial to the fortress as Dwarf Therapist.

Adventure mode is so amazing. I've been running around punch holes in dudes. Think I'll try and slaughter a village next.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I may not know much about what I'm doing, but I know that I have a fuckton of stone:

That isn't a fuckton.

A fuckton is a quantum stack strip-mined from 40 levels of a 7x7 embark. When you go into the stores menu and move the highlight down to stones and your PC freezes up for 10 minutes as DF counts all the stone, THAT is a fuckton.

Top Bottom