• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyack: "NeoGAF...I would say is probably the worst forum." Response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quixzlizx

dk_ said:
aridenis.gif

Haha, go Ari.

Calcaneus said:
Reading through this thread and the Too Human review thread, you really get the impression that people actually HATE Dyack. The amount of venom spewing is really wierd.
I must admit........ I love him

seriously, how can you not

is this actually your handwriting, denis? blink once for yes

vlcsnap-3189312-2.png

7Th

Dyack being banned was long overdue since the ridiculous 'For or Against” thread. All this drama was just grating and unnecessary.

dacuk

puebla said:
NERD RAGE

:lol

BTW, awesome avatar

CH always deserved to be in the SuperFriends show.

Dyack must pay the price if he wants to post in NeoGAF again....Coulld we ask for another Eternal Darkness, for Wii?

junker

commariodore64 said:
No - but thanks for insinuating that the GAF members are morons - at any rate, he has not shown respect for his audience. He has not shown humility.

What he has done is boast and make audacious claims and insist on his view as the truth. Not a well-tempered manner for someone with an 'audience'...

I didn't mean NeoGAF but for most gamers, this is entertainment and nothing more. Only a small percentage of gamers will appeciate elaborate storytelling and characterization (not saying he accomplished this but see the MGS4 thread). Seems he learned nothing from Miyamoto or Kojima.

Yaweee

Team Klimt said:
THIS is why certain people (Dyack included) think GAF is a fucking joke. Can't we allow anything to just pass into obscurity? Do we really need to dwell on this shit any longer? You are all enablers. Stirring up shit just for the hell of it. Do not encourage these types of responses!! Do we really need threads that are purely calling individuals out for being "jerks" or "assholes?" Do you know how many jerks and assholes contribute here on a daily basis? We could make a lot of threads like this, and I personally don't wanna read that garbage. I'm done now. Whew...

It's like feudin'. Both sides are a bit to blame for escalating menial shit into something epic.

Nolan.

Philthy said:
It certainly is a social forum, people discuss things, be it gaming, programming, or otherwise. The difference being that, again, it is heavily modded. You can't act like a 5 year old over there and just post dumb responses for twelve pages.

As far as Gaf going down notches, I meant as a whole. How do you think other people in the industry will look on Gaf after this entire debacle? Probably not so great. All the screaming children posting has put a lot of egg on Gafs face. The bandwagon got entirely out of control, and it's still going with new thread after new thread being posted over Dyack. It's all justifying that what Dyack said was actually true, and that's pretty sad.

The better question is how do you think other people in the industry will look at him.? I don't think anyone in ''the industry'' has anything to worry about, usually they aren't treated with such hostility when they post, quite the opposite. He is a special case.

Philthy said:
It certainly is a social forum, people discuss things, be it gaming, programming, or otherwise. The difference being that, again, it is heavily modded. You can't act like a 5 year old over there and just post dumb responses for twelve pages.

As far as Gaf going down notches, I meant as a whole. How do you think other people in the industry will look on Gaf after this entire debacle? Probably not so great. All the screaming children posting has put a lot of egg on Gafs face. The bandwagon got entirely out of control, and it's still going with new thread after new thread being posted over Dyack. It's all justifying that what Dyack said was actually true, and that's pretty sad.

Get over yourself - I can see why you would side with Denis.

And I don't see screaming children (which I assume would be all CAPS, right?) - I see a lot of people expressing their OPINION on the subject.

I've heard NO bald jokes about Denis. No FAT jokes about Denis. No SMALL PENIS jokes about Denis. NO mention of his well known INCONTINENCE problems. NOTHING on the playground level.

But I have seen quite a few people like yourself coming in on your HIGH HORSE to SAVE us from ourselves.

Calcaneus said:
Reading through this thread and the Too Human review thread, you really get the impression that people actually HATE Dyack. The amount of venom spewing is really wierd.

People like to follow the leader, and in the gaming community there's nothing better than bashing whatever (game or person or, in this case, both) it is that the largest number of people have decided to attack...

There isn't any logic in it besides trying to get in on what's popular, of course.

I like gaming forums, but it is true that they often do descend into pits of negativity and circular attacks on eachother... that's not always bad, I love a good debate, but constant, very negative attacks based on whatever it's trendy to attack at the moment? Not so great. I know expecting good debate is too much, but I wish we could have that anyway. :(

(Oh, and as if banning Dyack shows you (GAF) to be oh so much better than Dyack? Yeah right... you're at least as bad, probably worse. Sure he's overreacting to criticism, but the ridiculous volume of criticism is clearly undeserved... banning him makes GAF look worse, I would say.)

Oh yeah, and Eternal Darkness was one of my four or five favorite games of last generation. It's the only one of his games I've played, but it's amazing... for some time after getting it I called it my favorite Gamecube game, and I still might, though it is hard to decide between it, Metroid Prime, Fire Emblem: PoR, and Skies of Arcadia Legends. They're clearly the top four, though.

Ifrit

Wow, lots of bannings in this thread, but the gifs are great. I think I'll miss Dyack, what he did probably wasn't right but you've got to admit he is/was pretty entertaining (especially on The Neogaf). In fact, I'd really like to know what he says about all this

jinfash was right though, it's a bit silly to expect an intelligent argument from everyone. Normally you ignore the retards and twelve year olds and do not drive yourself into a righteous rage over silly childish stuff - but this is more to be expected from a mature, intelligent professional and less from the twelve year olds. I'd expect a guy like him to come to a forum to look for intelligent discussion from non-professionals or a more direct contact with people who play his games, and not looking for silly childish fights. If you get into a fight with immature people, you'll always lose.

Woffls

Childish responses on the internet are usually concealed by an apparant display of knowledge and the correct use of grammar, hence why they're harder to point out. For example, someone offering a rebuttal to a perfectly valid post using the phrase 'high horse' could be considered childish.

Try not to take that personally, it was the closest post to fit the bill that i could find =)

sevenchaos said:
Well his experiment did work.

The notion that Dyack would conduct a social experiement on 'internet forum negativity' at the expense of his own work from the last 10 years is ludacris. Its just some pseudo-intellectual BS he cooked up after the fact to try and save face. If he had just swallowed his pride and shut up after his 'for/against' thread, he would still be posting in the official TH thread with fans.

Barrett2

Acosta said:
Guys, I have news for you: this is EviLore's place, like it, hate it, whatever, but it's a private space with a owner who keeps it afloat because he is willing to.

His places, his rules. While I don't dislike Dyack at all I don't find hard to understand this situation, he has been trashing this place at every chance and the owner has got tired of it. End of story, cut the drama.

QFT. There is only so much shit EviLore should be expected to put up with from Dyack. The man is completely out-of-line when he calls GAF the "worst" gaming forum. By virtue of GAF's admissions & membership process and TOS, it is probably the best gaming forum in terms of overall quality and breadth of discussion.

Dyack's behavior is totally irresponsible for a man who is supposed to be a corporate CEO. He is becoming a PR nightmare for Microsoft, he is turning potential consumers away from his products, and he is spewing vitriol around the internet like an obnoxious 12 year old.

I cannot believe a gaming executive would turn this petty and obnoxious simply because a group of people choose to discuss his games within a private forum. The man is an idiot.

commariodore64 said:
And I don't see screaming children (which I assume would be all CAPS, right?) - I see a lot of people expressing their OPINION on the subject.

Except no one has their own opinion, thus this thread has degraded to "Dyack pwned, EvilLore is my hero, etc." hivemind bullshit.

Christine

Mamesj said:
Yeah, I agree with that, though I think there are too many factors missing to consider online personas to be of any value in determining a person's true personality. That doesn't stop me from deducing things, of course, but that's just part of the game :lol

but the original issue was whether it's the "best" representation of one's "true" self. I hope for the world's sake that no one reads this situation as something truly huge and major...it's just good drama like a reality show. This seems like the equivalent of yelling at the screen while watching sports or something :lol

I don't think that internet personae are the most revealing, but I would argue that they are likely to reveal aspects of a person that are successfully concealed in other settings, because of the disconnect and difference in social groupings between internet and "IRL" settings.

Of course this goes both ways - aspects of one's self that are apparent, even obvious in person-to-person interaction might never be shown by their internet persona.

FLEABttn

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
banning him makes GAF look worse, I would say

It's not like GAF is CNN is is held to some standard of journalistic integrity; how bad GAF looks could harm it, but this isn't a case where GAF will be harmed. People love this shit.

As a Dyack supporter myself, I thought that the venom on the internet going back to Eternal Darkness was more or less uncalled for, but the Too Human shit really was over the line for him. Name dropping GAF as the worst forum ever as well as hyping his game to high heaven and back would have gotten him a tag of the century had it been the masterpiece. It wasn't, this is the price he pays for his actions. If he never said anything to begin with or if his game was good, he wouldn't even be in this situation.

Take a note from other developers on this forum, Dyack. Don't overly hype your games here, don't namedrop GAF in interviews about how horrible it is here, and don't whine here when shit doesn't go your way.

junker said:
I didn't mean NeoGAF but for most gamers, this is entertainment and nothing more. Only a small percentage of gamers will appeciate elaborate storytelling and characterization (not saying he accomplished this but see the MGS4 thread). Seems he learned nothing from Miyamoto or Kojima.

MGS4 has EXCELLENT story telling and, more importantly, WELL DIRECTED and ANIMATED cinematics that make the story that much more engaging... he HAS learned nothing from Kojima...

todahawk

AFreak said:
Who the fuck is this EvilLore dude, and why is he so special?
dude, you're making your fellow juniors look bad... :lol

edit: holy shit I was a junior before I posted that. weird timing

Calcaneus

TheRagnCajun said:
The notion that Dyack would conduct a social experiement on 'internet forum negativity' at the expense of his own work from the last 10 years is ludacris. Its just some pseudo-intellectual BS he cooked up after the fact to try and save face. If he had just swallowed his pride and shut up after his 'for/against' thread, he would still be posting in the official TH thread with fans.
heh......

Anyways, I agree for the most part, even though he's not the only party deserving blame.

Crisis said:
Well I'd like to have a quick say if nobody minds (I'm sure nobody else will care). This thread was precisely the right way to respond to Denis Dyack's stupidity. Even though it would be easy to I'm not even going to call out Dyack's flawed psychology and pseudo-intellect. For everyone saying this is childish and "Dyack is right about the forum" I have just one question to ask: If Dyack is right then why are you still here? There shouldn't be anything worthwhile about posting here at this forum if you're agreeing with Dyack.

To address Dyack directly (because in all honesty we know he's reading this): You are a huge hypocrite. You complain about GAF being "unfair" to your game and that people don't understand it. You have nobody to blame but yourself for this. You made this game with the hopes that people in this demographic would buy it and we don't like it. It's disappointing but it happens. The right thing to do is to try to figure out what people like and what people don't like about it and move on from there. Maybe patch your game to better suit the audience that you're making it for. The wrong thing to do is to blame everyone except yourself for your game being taken badly. You had a bad showing at E3 2006 not Epic. Your game is poorly animated. Your game has hilariously bad dialogue. Your game isn't any fun to play. You see where this is going? The reviews of your game are by and large reflecting this opinion.

Whether or not you like this forum or you think it's the worst ever this forum only responded to what you put out there for it. It responded to your bad E3 showing. It responded to your bad demo. It's responding to your poor review scores. It's responding to your bad game. But you know as well as I do that none of this really mattered because it wasn't profound. All you did was realize that your game wasn't going to turn out well and you started running out of things to scapegoat so you preemptively attacked the audience you were hoping to sell your game to. Anything to avoid the cold hard fact that your game just isn't that good and that you're really not that good of a developer and to try to create controversy to sell this game. Maybe that will work and maybe it won't but this topic and your ban at NeoGAF is more than warranted. We're not your little pawns in your shallow and self-indulgent social experiments.

Thank you EviLore.

I salute you, well said.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
AstroLad said:
This is exactly the sort of statement I disagree with. Ownage has a very specific meaning online--it can mean either someone is defeated by facts, argumentation, or both. If this happens IRL, you don't say "lol you owned me, who cares?"--you acknowledge the loss, and you move on and try to learn from it. In some ways I feel that we don't get as much from the medium as we could because we are so flip about everything, and I think this idea that ownage is some sort of a joke to laugh off is one example I've been seeing a lot recently.

/rant

You can only be owned if the act of being owned means something to you. I personally don't give a flying turd if someone owns me, which makes me unownable. BTW, it was Dyack who brought ownage into this equation through his crazy for or against posting.

The fact with the whole mess is this: had Denis not made the for or against posting, and then not gone on 1up with his psychobabble, this whole mess would have never happened. I personally didn't even know that people on NeoGaf were teasing Too Human until Dyack made his post, and I'm here every day. He put a magnifying glass on a few people who were teasing his game, and then focused all of that negativity on it.

Kestastrophe said:
Except no one has their own opinion, thus this thread has degraded to "Dyack pwned, EvilLore is my hero" hivemind bullshit.
But that's the topic!? If you want to talk about Miyamoto go to the 'OMG!!!! Miyamoto Creates New Sweeper Simulation Game!" thread...

I think that those protesting in this thread forgot to check the door before the entered to 'set us all straight'...

And did you notice Denis did name call gaf FIRST, right!?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
TheRagnCajun said:
oh there will be other podcasts...
Sure, but guaranteed the Insomniac would have ribbed him about in their "5 questions" segment since they hang out here a lot.

Kestastrophe said:
Except no one has their own opinion, thus this thread has degraded to "Dyack pwned, EvilLore is my hero, etc." hivemind bullshit.

wat?

Then what the hell are you doing here? Get the f*** out of the hive.

Barrett2

Originally Posted by A Black Falcon:
banning him makes GAF look worse, I would say.

Why? GAF is a private organization, it is legally similar to EviLore's house. If someone walked around your house all day insulting you to your face, you would eventually kick that person out the front door.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
drakesfortune said:
You can only be owned if the act of being owned means something to you. I personally don't give a flying turd if someone owns me, which makes me unownable. BTW, it was Dyack who brought ownage into this equation through his crazy for or against posting.

I disagree with your premise that ownage is purely subjective and can be negated by the mere expression of one's purported apathy (in fact, such expression often serves only to confirm the ownage), but I do feel we reach largely the same conclusion w/r/t the ownage at issue here.

besada

Banned
You know, the guys willfully misrepresenting the history in here are hilarious.

The "hate" for Dyack came from the barrel of Dyack's own gun. He attempted to use GAF as a forum to hype his game, by engaging in ridiculous hyperbole. Since we don't come here to have devs pump sunshine up our asses, some people responded poorly. At which point Denis thought it would be a good idea to go to the press and turn this into a broadside on the entire concept of forums. With the help of 1up, Denis not only spewed abuse at this forum in particular and all forums in general, he was allowed to frame the entire thing as some sort of vaunted social experiment.

As for Denis's whining about reciprocity, it's ridiculous. There IS reciprocity. Not only was Denis allowed to come to GAF and state his opinion, which is no more valuable than anyone else's, he wasn't banned when he made an obvious trolling thread. In addition, unlike GAF or another forum, Denis has had an uncritical press amplifying every word he says. It's a lie that he hasn't had reciprocity. It was a lie when he said it on 1up, and it's a lie now. There's no question who has the louder voice here, it's Dyack. Short of "journalists" lifting threads and turning them into stories, the only people who hear GAF are GAF. But Denis has an entire range of "journalistic" media who have been only too happy to lopsidedly carry his message.

Denis's fundamental problem has always been that GAFfers didn't like his game. Maybe his feelings got hurt over the ridiculous gifs and fat comments, but that's not why he complained. He complained because GAF panned his game. Well, now the critics have also panned it. Far from being the best next gen game to come out, it's getting mediocre scores all over the place.

Ploid 3.0

lawblob said:
QFT. There is only so much shit EviLore should be expected to put up with from Dyack. The man is completely out-of-line when he calls GAF the "worst" gaming forum. By virtue of GAF's admissions & membership process and TOS, it is probably the best gaming forum in terms of overall quality and breadth of discussion.

Dyack's behavior is totally irresponsible for a man who is supposed to be a corporate CEO. He is becoming a PR nightmare for Microsoft, he is turning potential consumers away from his products, and he is spewing vitriol around the internet like an obnoxious 12 year old.

I cannot believe a gaming executive would turn this petty and obnoxious simply because a group of people choose to discuss his games within a private forum. The man is an idiot.

Perhaps Dennis put too much on the line for this game. Not just money but his ideas. He probably really want to see the rest of this trilogy through and it's possible it won't happen if too human is bad, or don't sell a certain amount. Who knows though. He seems very passionate about Too Human.

AIRic

Flachmatuch said:
I'd expect a guy like him to come to a forum to look for intelligent discussion from non-professionals or a more direct contact with people who play his games, and not looking for silly childish fights. If you get into a fight with immature people, you'll always lose.

Specially if you're immature like Dyack... Anyway, It's always fun to see a GAF meltdown from time to time. I won't talk about Too Human since I didn't play it, but if the game is buggy as hell (people falling through floors haha) and is not THE godly game that Dyack was hyping, gamers have the right to laugh at his pompous failing act. Publicly talking shit about NeoGAF was dumb of his part and very unprofessional. Anyway, good luck Denis with your next game in 2015. ;)

Christine

drakesfortune said:
You can only be owned if the act of being owned means something to you. I personally don't give a flying turd if someone owns me, which makes me unownable.

You may very well be "unownable" :)lol), but you just swallowed AstroLad's bait, hook, line and sinker.

junker

commariodore64 said:
MGS4 has EXCELLENT story telling and, more importantly, WELL DIRECTED and ANIMATED cinematics that make the story that much more engaging... he HAS learned nothing from Kojima...

So we are on the same page then?

Azure J

I just read through all 14 pages of this thread and have this to say:

Fuck popcorn, this thread deserves french fries. :lol :lol :lol

Xenon

Sorry to see him banned, but this shit has been on a slow simmer for years. Taking potshots at the forum in and interview was lame. Oh well.

EviLore said:
As sad as several of your coworkers sitting in silence on 1up Yours for an hour of one-sided Dyack tripe, too dumbfounded to provide any sort of critical examination of his points? Hopefully not as sad as that, because then I'd be pretty embarrassed.

Wow!! This shit just got real. Co-sign by the way.

After reading this thread, I'm astonished that some of you are getting pissy at EvilLore for his banning of Denis and slander. Come ON. I'm surprised he's been allowed to lurk this awesome place. He continuously slams our forum, being menipulative and saying his stuff was just social experimentation, THEN he CONTINUOUSLY slams our forum and titles it the worst, all while he is being a fucking hypocrite at its finest and has a grand ol' time on GAF in the forum about his game, which is nicely moderated by GAF, despite his "fuck you" comments. I was looking forward to this game--and I may still get it--but the decision to ban him is absolutely understandable. The folks who are defending Dyack either have no idea how much shit has been going on and for how long, or...well, I don't know...I certainly wouldn't want to be in your forums.

EvilLore: *thumbs way up*

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
B-Rad Lascelle said:
What happens if it sells really well? Like an Adam Sandler movie?. What then? :lol

You didn't just compare Happy Gilmore, Reign on Me, and Billy Madison to Too Human, did you!??! AHHHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom