• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2: Stay Human |OT| Hey GAF, wanna play a parkour game?

draliko

The game has it's moments and is fun to play at the core, but techland is not a well functioning studios and it shows. They need to hire more tech guys, but of the great kind. This is a funny AA game in 2022, AAA has moved forward, the only problem is the price tag, anyway it's funny and i'll play it until Elden Ring, then i'm gonna play it again after some heavy patches, 108p60 isn't acceptable with this IQ and graphic complexity.

Bartski

Gold Member
can't believe things I'm hearing about animation, physics, and enemy hit reactions being worse than Dying Light 1.

Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Is this for real?

Hugare

For me Dying Light 2 is like GTA V compared to IV, a lot of the details have been watered down, but the overall product is better as a result and I'm actually having more fun with it than it's predecessor.
The GTA comparison is perfect

People are waay too focused on zombies not falling correctly from roofs instead of giving the game credit for what it does right (and better than the first game)

I think some people just need to play the fucking game and unlock skills and upgrade mods. Some complaints are really non-issues.

My criticisms are: It feels too much like a Ubisoft open world at times. It needs more roaming zombies. Especially virals.
I dislike the chase mechanic. It should be something dynamic instead. And volatiles should be in the open world.
Hud needs more customization.

Last edited:
The raytracing dilemma. I watched the DF video about it and it certainly looks cool. But when I'm playing the game I barely notice it. What I notice is the performance hit. Even with DLSS and the optimized settings from the DF video.
With everything maxed, without RT, 1440p, it stays above 120 fps most of the time. It's so smooth.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Forgot about the online component.

When first exploring the Bazaar I get a notice on my HUD saying "You've received a distress call from SuperTurd 869".
Now I'm sure SuperTurd869 is a fine gentleman but no thanks.

Adjusted my online settings 😉

GymWolf

I fucking hate that there is no sprint button except the one you unlock, the protagonist walking for a second then switching to usain bolt mode make for this annoying start-and-stop effect while movimg in small environments, it happens a lot of time that the protagonist just slow down wnile moving, i can't even explain this well...

I was hating how floaty the game is compared to the first one but you get used and parkout is actually better when you get used

Game is a joke even on hard when you unlock dropkick and face stomp, i didn't even modded a weapon because you don't even need to, hopefully the second part of the city is gonna introduct much tougher enemies because if not...

Combat is more arcadey\floaty, better mechanically but worse feeling wise, also downgraded ragdoll and physics for the zombie, techland officially said that they are gonna fix this via patch but the damage for day oners like me is already done.

Plot is kinda all over the place, sometimes stuff just happen and you can see that the game was patched up multiple times story wise since avellone was thrown out of the project, this is what you get when you believe twitter allegations, they deserve to be shitted on for this.

Onestly? I'm liking this one less than the first one except for the parkour and level design of the city, still a good game but i feel like they made 2 step forward and 3 back.

P.s. the bug where the action\combat music doesn't stop when the fight stop is driving me fucking crazy, i need to restart the game 2-3 times for every session.

P.p.s. as other people said, night time is more enjoyable but way less scary.

Last edited:

GymWolf

can't believe things I'm hearing about animation, physics, and enemy hit reactions being worse than Dying Light 1.

Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Is this for real?
Yes, people who talk about rose tinted glasses with dl1 probably don't care about those finer details to even notice the downgrade.

After 25 hours i can give brief review of this game. Story is shit, bugs, voice acting mostly shit too but ill be damn if i dont enjoy this game as fuck lol. Im not sure if its combat or just good open world design but this game is addictive as shit and i love it. Dialogs and story is so bad but so good because of that lol. Worth every penny considering the fact that techland will support this game at least few years after release. Can't wait for more dlc with retarded story but great gameplay and world design

Denton

I fucking hate that there is no sprint button except the one you unlock, the protagonist walking for a second then switching to usain bolt mode make for this annoying start-and-stop effect while movimg in small environments, it happens a lot of time that the protagonist just slow down wnile moving, i can't even explain this well...
Among some of the regressions from DL1, this one annoys me the most.

Surprisingly good game.

- Awesome visuals, beautifully animated characters existing seamlessly in a dense and detailed open world, incredible RT features
- great parkour
- meaty combat
- very cool soundtrack
- Solid enough story and characters, although some of the dialogue is definitely a bit clunky.

Had a really awesome sequence of events last night. Accidentally started a chase on my way back from a Dark Zone, and led the chase into a bandit camp where I turned off their UV lights and watched the mayhem unfold. After all was said and done, there were only a handful of weakened bandits left and I was able to sweep up the remains very easily.

Had a really awesome sequence of events last night. Accidentally started a chase on my way back from a Dark Zone, and led the chase into a bandit camp where I turned off their UV lights and watched the mayhem unfold. After all was said and done, there were only a handful of weakened bandits left and I was able to sweep up the remains very easily.
I lured some biters on a group attending a funeral. I think the AI did pretty well. They fought the zombies for a while and then ran away.

peetfeet

How do you turn off the lights? Sounds fun

Reached the 2nd area, feels overwhelming at first, a great new expanse with insane verticality. Paraglider is cool, opens up even more traversal freedom. The blast mod weapon effects are dope af, almost like having a magic spell lol. Continue to love everything about it 💯. Oh and I fully expect Rosario Dawson to be nominated at the next Game Awards for her role as Lawan, fantastic stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

AntsaK2

Neo Member
How does Health Regeneration work? I have upgraded mine to +20% but haven't noticed that health goes up at any point.

Copy arrived and played the first 2 hours. Loving the environmental story-telling in the first house you get into. Hope that it stays that way throughout.

Reactions: Isa

Denton

Sometimes I am really annoyed by the trend of shortened conversation options that do not in any way explain what my character will actually say. Like, when there is a situation where it is a life or death, I would really like to fucking know what I can say instead of guessing what the designer meant by the two words he gave me.

Last edited:

Romulus

I think I'm just going to play Dying Light 1 on PC with the DLC. That'll be my Dying Light 2 over the PS4 version I played 8 years ago. This game just seems too janky to be taking steps back from such an old game.

Last edited:
After dumping some solid hours into this game over the weekend, I think this game is good but is still missing some of the extra charm of the original.

I wished the physics were left in tact. There is still ragdoll physics but it definitely feels like there are more canned animations than before. Some of them are pretty wonky too. I smashed a ZOMBIE's head in and he fell on the ground and crawled away in a defensive manner like a normal human that just got punched in the face...except he had no head left.

Combat overall is improved but the enemies don't seem as reactive. Your weapon has a little stutter in the middle of the swing like you are connecting (which is good) but the enemies don't seem to react to the hits as much. It kinda just feels like you are whittling down their health bars.

Night time seems more gamey as well. The rules feel much more established than the previous game. If you fall to street level, you are pretty much guaranteed a chase. In the original, you could sneak around the vision cones of the volatiles and kind of go about your business (granted, you are staring at the mini map much more which is probably why they changed it). Overall night time seems much easier IMO. Chases are pretty easy to dodge and I dont know if I will ever see a level 3 or 4 chase since safe zones are never that far away and they only seem to escalate if you stop running and start attacking the chasers.

Lastly, I dont really like Old Villador so far. There are a lot more interiors, which is cool, but it doesnt seem as fun to run around as the slums IMO.

Its still a fun game but I kinda feel like its lost just a bit of the chaotic fun of the first game.

Romulus

It almost feels like Techland is some struggling company pulling itself out of a slump but they absolutely sold gangbusters with the original

I stopped looting stores at night. Going at night and being stealthy is just not worth it. All upgrades require an insane amount of trophies that only drop from virals.
Honestly, this game needed at least 10 times more enemies. Biters should be more aggressive and swarm you. Virals should patrol the rooftops.

bender

What time is it?
For me Dying Light 2 is like GTA V compared to IV, a lot of the details have been watered down, but the overall product is better as a result and I'm actually having more fun with it than it's predecessor.

So what's the San Andreas analog of Dying Light?

GymWolf

So yeah an important sidequest glitched on me and now i can't complete it anymore (the very last step of the renegades mission), this fucking game...

Certinty

I know they aren’t very similar games but 10 hours into this and it makes me dislike Far Cry 6 and Halo Infinite even more. Those two games just weren’t fun to explore the open worlds of, one was far too big for its own good and the other lacked variety.

This on the other hand is the perfect size and is an absolute blast to explore given how good the parkour mechanics are.

shubik

I´m roughly 14 hours in and I haven't even left old Villedor yet. The game seems to be massive. And it's fucking addictive as hell. That's how you design an open world that is fun to explore Ubisoft.

Also: looks like I got lucky. So far I have not experienced any bigger bugs besides missing dialog in german at the start of the game.

GymWolf

Not sure if like the second part of the city with the emphasis on glider and tall buildings, the parkour is way more fragmented compared to the first map and i vastly prefer normal parkour over gliding to reach a place.

Top Bottom