• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 - Best & Worst memories

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
fhJXUjv.gif

edbrat

One E3 I was in a session Nintendo hosted for analysts and business types, Reggie, Miyamoto and Iwata were there. Pretty much as you would expect except one guy tried to ask his question in Japanese and none of the Nintendo crew had a clue what he was saying so he had to ask it in English and have it translated like everyone else. The cringe factor was extremely high. Afterwards I get into the lift outside and Iwata is in there, just hanging out like any normal suit. A few others get in and two of them had come from the same event, both American, they don't see Iwata as the lift is a bit packed and the guy wasn't the tallest. They stand there mouthing off about the session, saying "uhhh what Nintendo really needs to do...." and "I can't believe they said this....didn't say that" the works. As the lift approaches the ground floor, these guys notice the rest of the lift is deathly quiet, we're all grinning at them then at Iwata who is grinning from ear to ear. Finally they turn around and see Iwata, who just nods at them still smiling like crazy. Leaves the lift like the absolute god damn boss legend that great man was, and always will be in my memory.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
One E3 I was in a session Nintendo hosted for analysts and business types, Reggie, Miyamoto and Iwata were there. Pretty much as you would expect except one guy tried to ask his question in Japanese and none of the Nintendo crew had a clue what he was saying so he had to ask it in English and have it translated like everyone else. The cringe factor was extremely high. Afterwards I get into the lift outside and Iwata is in there, just hanging out like any normal suit. A few others get in and two of them had come from the same event, both American, they don't see Iwata as the lift is a bit packed and the guy wasn't the tallest. They stand there mouthing off about the session, saying "uhhh what Nintendo really needs to do...." and "I can't believe they said this....didn't say that" the works. As the lift approaches the ground floor, these guys notice the rest of the lift is deathly quiet, we're all grinning at them then at Iwata who is grinning from ear to ear. Finally they turn around and see Iwata, who just nods at them still smiling like crazy. Leaves the lift like the absolute god damn boss legend that great man was, and always will be in my memory.

This was a good read :messenger_grinning_smiling:

besides the obvious ones people have mentioned,

1:14:49

When Nintendo unveiled the 3DS, they paraded a long line of women with a 3DS strapped to their waists. They specifically hired women with big boobs so that when you try the device, they are part of your peripheral vision, "enhancing" the 3D effect I guess lol.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The worst thread (immediately followed by the best thread) I ever made here was about how excellent E3 in 2004 was if you were a Nintendo fan. They unveiled the DS, we got a Twilight Princess reveal with Miyamoto’s classic “I am not Link… but I do know him!”, and Iwata pulled the “Nintendo Revolution” out of his jacket. Reggie came out with the most memorable and memeable debut of “I’m about kickin’ ass and takin’ names”. It was a great show.

I highly recommend it if you grew up as a Nintendo fan.

Deerock71

The worst memories ARE the best memories!

• Historically accurate giant enemy crabs.
• RIIIIIIDGE RAAAACER!!!
• Wii Music "drum solo".
• THE ENTIRE XBOX ONE REVEAL.

Last edited:

Mr. Mean

Neo Member
Who remembers the creative director of Unravel literally shaking on stage? I’m glad for them that the game was a success

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I attended many E3s from its peak through the early stages of its decline. So many great memories. Prince playing Sony's after party, sitting on the floor chatting with Dennis Dyack for like two hours, meeting Hideo Kojima and Yuki Naka and Will Wright, playing Wii the day it was revealed, having to follow John DiMaggio in karaoke....

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Nintendojo guy who tried o ask Miyamoto a question in Japanese and Miyamoto was like “what the fuck was that?”

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Sucks that I never got to go.
It does. I won’t sugarcoat it, E3 was always an absolute blast. I used to LOVE going to the conferences. And some of my favorite memories are from E3, like meeting Miyamoto, and sneaking into closed door meetings/reveals. I even ended up on local LA news a few times, since I’d often weasel my way into the early “news stations only” events on the show floor, where I was typically the only person there who actually played and understood games. Plus, the industry parties in the evenings were some of the best I’ve ever attended.

Good times. I really miss E3.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
besides the obvious ones people have mentioned,

1:14:49

When Nintendo unveiled the 3DS, they paraded a long line of women with a 3DS strapped to their waists. They specifically hired women with big boobs so that when you try the device, they are part of your peripheral vision, "enhancing" the 3D effect I guess lol.

Iwata really was the best

Top Bottom