• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA staff threaten walkout over lack of statements during Pride Month (Up: cancelled as EA confirm they wont change logo for pride)

I'm not bothered by black people or gay people getting "good representation". I'm just saying that if you define the personality of your characters by their race or gender, and make it the same for every movie, it's going to get old fast and nobody is going to want to watch it.
Nobody is hyperbolic. Things continue to sell regardless of if you disagree with the message or feel diversity is heavy handed. Daily wire has some movies for you if that is genuinely bothering you.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Nobody is hyperbolic. Things continue to sell regardless of if you disagree with the message or feel diversity is heavy handed. Daily wire has some movies for you if that is genuinely bothering you.

Slacktivist bent writing and design is actively *losing* sales, not gaining. Whether it be in films, marketing, or games. It’s why we are seeing more and more companies move away from it.

supernova8

Banned
The same magic where men go bald and we laugh at them but one black woman goes bald and suddenly it's a disability/illness

Yeah and her husband (on whom she cheated over and over again) gets to physically assault the person making a joke and gets off preeeeeeeetty lightly (banned from the academy boo hoo he's already stinking rich like he gives a fuck).

Last edited:

Sho_Gunn

Banned
Yeah and her husband (on whom she cheated over and over again) gets to physically assault the person making a joke and gets off preeeeeeeetty lightly (banned from the academy boo hoo he's already stinking rich like he gives a fuck).
Did you expect Will Smith to go prison over a smack?

If you are right and movies/games with "wokely" diverse scripts sell well, don't worry cause you are going to see plenty of them.

If they don't, you'll get diverse scripts anyway, just not so woke.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If some random white guy had done what Smith did...
I think it's more Hollywood privileges on that one, not race. Will Smith is one of the biggest, most well known names around, and we all know Hollywood plays by their own rules. He shouldn't have done it, but it was an open hand slap. It's not like he broke his nose. If Chris didn't want to take it further, that's his business.

Let's be honest, if a white man came up and slapped Chris in the same way you'd have just as many people saying "If a black man did what he just did". There's always someone claiming the other side would have been treated differently, when really it's a class/social status thing.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think it's more Hollywood privileges on that one, not race. Will Smith is one of the biggest, most well known names around, and we all know Hollywood plays by their own rules. He shouldn't have done it, but it was an open hand slap. It's not like he broke his nose. If Chris didn't want to take it further, that's his business.

Let's be honest, if a white man came up and slapped Chris in the same way you'd have just as many people saying "If a black man did what he just did". There's always someone claiming the other side would have been treated differently, when really it's a class/social status thing.

I kinda meant both that "Hollywood privilege" allowed Smith to get away with it on the night, and the absence of an obvious potential racial angle kept the media and the usual twitterati from dog-piling and demanding the harshest possible punishment.

All part of the same culture war nonsense in my opinion. What Will did was obviously a massive error of judgement both personally and professionally, but we all know that its less what he did than how it could be interpreted that matters.

StormCell

I know what an NPC is obviously, but when you said npc'd i was confused. But oh okay got you. I'm sheeple basically. Copy.

Anything can be humorous, but it doesn't mean that its automatically funny. Theres a ton of bad comedians. If dane cook made a joke about a bald person it won't be as funny as if Dave Chapelle probably did. Plus good comedy, imo usually punches up...making fun of a balding billionaire is far funnier than making fun of a balding cancer patient. It's in context. But regardless, its about it being funny not just cruel. Most jokes thrown at bald men be extremely bottom of the barrel.
George Constanza. There's a stereotype of the balding middle-aged dude who is just trying not to be pathetic. That's George by definition.

I don't really subscribe to notions of punching up vs punching down. I think that's probably why I have always enjoyed Chapelle. He punches from a place of honesty whether it's up or down. There's always that hint of truth that is the seasoning to his humor that catches you as you're laughing.

I enjoyed Carlin for the same reason.

FingerBang

Shouldn't laugh at either. Hair loss is a genuine source of anxiety for men. I think we should genuinely be more vocal about not making fun of that as men.
Hey man, I know personally how terrible it is for a man to go bald, but trust me. The sooner you accept it and learn to laugh about it, the better.
Or save up for a hair transplant, they can be pretty cheap, especially if you have the chance to travel.

I'm not saying that we should be ok with people being assholes, but the only thing you can and should control about this situation is how YOU feel about it, not what other think. I've had plenty of bald friends who had zero issues getting girls (or guys, but let's be honest, that's like playing on level Easy+) and there's plenty of successful bald people.

This is in general, when it comes to anxiety, something I know really well. It's inside of you, changing the world to eradicate or reduce what causes you anxiety is an impossible task. But you can learn and control how you react to your feelings and eventually control them. That's the only sustainable way to survive in the long run. CBT and meditation helped me a lot.

Orta

Banned
The fuck are you, 10?

Totally fine and glad we have months in this country that represent different cultures and facets of American life. It's a cool country, and approach.

EA is a shit company and continues to do shitty things. It should come as no surprise to the employees that they'll actively ignore a national awareness month. They should quit, because it's totally legit to have your company to reflect so values you hold close.

The whole "fuck woke" is stupid, you end up sounding like a bigot.

Fuck woke.

Top Bottom