• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

lots of what he said was wrong. i wasn't speaking about one point in particular.

re81Us.gif

Auctopus

I feel like Kyle sold UFO 50 short and it propagated a pretty misguided conversation about the game...

”were all created in the 80's by a fictional company that was obscure but ahead of its time." The games are unified by a ”unique 32-color palette and other restrictions we decided on to make them feel more authentic," the developers said.

The 50 titles are ”full games and not microgames or minigames," but ”slightly smaller than commercial 8-bit titles" from the 1980s. Mossmouth says the entire collection could take more than 100 hours to play through.

I feel like the brief intro Kyle game made it sound like it's some sort of bargain bin collection of 50 random games. If Derek Yu and the creator of Downwell are involved, it will most likely have a lot more going for it below the surface.

The fact that they've created a fictional company from the 80s and set parameters for each title makes me think there's a bit more going on than the 50 games.

Servbot24

Banned
I feel like Kyle sold UFO 50 short and it propagated a pretty misguided conversation about the game...

I feel like the brief intro Kyle game made it sound like it's some sort of bargain bin collection of 50 random games. If Derek Yu and the creator of Downwell are involved, it will most likely have a lot more going for it below the surface.

The fact that they've created a fictional company from the 80s and set parameters for each title makes me think there's a bit more going on than the 50 games.

I think it's perfectly fair to say that if you make 50 games, regardless of their scope, there are bound to be some stinkers in the batch.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I finished dq 11 with plat like half a day ago. I feel like Huber said he will probably feel when he finishes persona. I feel like this void for me personally is the hallmark of a really special game. We had so many truly fantastic games this year but thinking about it and if I'm honest only Ao no Kiseki and DQ11 have made me feel this way so far this year. Persona 5 was like that last year for me.

To be fair though I think there's also an element of knowing the next time you might have the chance to experience something like this is far away kinda also plays a role.
I might have felt this way about yakuza 0 too maybe but I think knowing kiwami was only ever 6 months away with so much inbetween to bridge to it made the wait easy.

And there is definitely this element of games that have focus on characters encouraging this feeling more as well. I think Nioh is still one of the most "fun" games so far this year and would love to return to it one day but it's almost like a very different itch/feeling/memory.

Auctopus

I think it's perfectly fair to say that if you make 50 games, regardless of their scope, there are bound to be some stinkers in the batch.

I agree but I feel the conversation immediately went there and ended there, like...

Kyle: "So these talented, past-proven developers are making 50 games."
Jones: "Hmm. They're probably not all gonna be good, are they?"

Servbot24

Banned
I agree but I feel the conversation immediately went there and ended there, like...

Kyle: "So these talented, past-proven developers are making 50 games."
Jones: "Hmm. They're probably not all gonna be good, are they?"
Yeah, it's just part of perception. If your favorite band releases an album of 100 5 minute songs... well that's cool in a way, but at the same time it's going to create the impression to outsiders that they must be rushed or demos or really simple. Plus, the required time investment will seem overwhelming to familiarize yourself with all of them. Even though it's not necessarily true, the perception will always be that a 10 song album can be created with more intent and be a more definitive vision in a way.

Budi

Wow, in the Frame Trap Ian talking about gaming starting in 84-85. I know it was in the context of "generations", but in 84 we were already at the third generation. I wonder what he ment exactly.

Servbot24

Banned
Wow, in the Frame Trap Ian talking about gaming starting in 84-85. I know it was in the context of "generations", but in 84 we were already at the third generation. I wonder what he ment exactly.

Lol, no one considers 84 to be third gen. For everyone except for giant nerds NES is gen 1.

Budi

Lol, no one considers 84 to be third gen. For everyone except for giant nerds NES is gen 1.
Bah =D Games existed before I was born! And aren't we at 8th generation right now, or further already? I don't believe that many people consider NES being first gen. And ofcourse it wouldn't matter if they did, earlier game consoles wouldn't stop existing based on invidual belief.
Yeah, it's just part of perception. If your favorite band releases an album of 100 5 minute songs... well that's cool in a way, but at the same time it's going to create the impression to outsiders that they must be rushed or demos or really simple. Plus, the required time investment will seem overwhelming to familiarize yourself with all of them. Even though it's not necessarily true, the perception will always be that a 10 song album can be created with more intent and be a more definitive vision in a way.
How about one person releasing 118 albums in a year? The dude in my avatar did. Those are mostly around 30-40 minutes to my knowledge. Haven't listened all of those =D Though it could be arqued that music more often than games is a way of self-expression and not a commercial product first. But there's definitely plenty of music that could be said to be overproduced. And the time that it takes to make a game alone is much longer than writing and recording piece of music.

Auctopus

Yep, yep. Good point.

I think he meant when gaming came back. We all know the NES revived and saved the gaming industry.

Kneefoil

I think he meant when gaming came back. We all know the NES revived and saved the gaming industry.
... in North America.

I still haven't listened to most of the last Frame Trap. Hopefully I can find the time for it tomorrow. Haven't watched any of the latest Cup of Jones yet either, but to my understanding that's all Q&A, so I might just skip that. There are also one or two games in the Easy Livin' stream that I think I still want to check out.

Easy Livin' really made it difficult to keep up with everything I want, but I guess that's a good problem to have.

Finally got through the 2 hour cup of jones Q&A and he answered my question about if there will be another EZA meetup at PSX. He confirmed it's happening.

Now I debate booking a trip to go.

Gonna watch that Don't Skip to get me hyped up to give Trails in the Sky another go. I got a decent bit in, but the pace was a bit slow and my attention span was weak.

I heard they've added a fast-forward mode to the game (relatively) recently? I'll probably start from scratch since I have no idea where I was or what I was doing...
Anyone here LEGIT watch all 50 hours yet?

I'm up to hour 3 right now, lol.
I'm working on it. Up to RE2, and I saw quite a bit of the final night stuff live.

(this is background watching, so, uh, maximum attention not really in play)

Gonna watch that Don't Skip to get me hyped up to give Trails in the Sky another go. I got a decent bit in, but the pace was a bit slow and my attention span was weak.

I heard they've added a fast-forward mode to the game (relatively) recently? I'll probably start from scratch since I have no idea where I was or what I was doing...

I'm working on it. Up to RE2, and I saw quite a bit of the final night stuff live.

(this is background watching, so, uh, maximum attention not really in play)
Yea they added turbo mode of theto the pc version of the game in the last week or two

Lol, I was gonna ask if anyone in the EA crew was going to do something on Dream Daddy. Glad Ian did. I still need to pick it up, seems like an okay game.

Lol @ Sleeping with Robert.

Auctopus

I don't know if you guys are familiar with the artist Pogo, he's well-known for taking Disney properties and creating ambient/pop tracks with heavy sampling and remixing. Anyway, he's just released his latest track which is based on Pooh & Christophere Robin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy4IhE-KAEg

... and I can't help but laugh thinking of Kyle and Brad when listening to it.

MrMette

Another Easy Update video, another wave of hateful ignorant comments.
Never stop Ian, love your videos.

Just stop reading youtube comments. I usually don't but almost every time I do, there are a lot of hateful comments in them (on every channel I have checked). So I stopped caring about them a long time ago.
The trolls commenting on them want your reaction.

I see them as one of the garbage bins of the internet (I know there are a lot worse places, but yeah).

There also seem to be trolls who subscribe to channels just to spew hate at everything they do. They aren't worth your time.

Mista Koo

How did they get that
Pokémon
battle into Dream Daddy? Isn't that the typical thing they'd try to shut down?
Parodies are protected by law in the US. Also no stolen assets nor violated copyrights/trademarks.

Some of the Twitch audience moving to Youtube? Can't see Patreon supporters making this comments, or probably just the crazies who search for for all videos on Daddy Dating Sim and just spew shit.
They've always been there. There are garbage people in the fan base, and they are loyal fans who were disliking videos with certain allies in them since the GT days.

Some of the Twitch audience moving to Youtube? Can't see Patreon supporters making this comments, or probably just the crazies who search for for all videos on Daddy Dating Sim and just spew shit.
Or maybe, just maybe, some people don't like Ian. Every other ally is jolly while the self-described nihilist (ugh) attempts to politicize or project (that tirade about David Lynch in the Easy Livin stream sealed it for me).
He's also a bad sport and whines every time he loses in a tournament. He literally threw Brandon's controller when he lost in NBA Jam like a fucking baby lol
It's not difficult to figure out why he's disliked, and you shouldn't assume that all the dislikes are just gay bashers looking for Dream Daddy videos to shit on lol.

Or maybe, just maybe, some people don't like Ian. Every other ally is jolly while the self-described nihilist (ugh) attempts to politicize or project (that tirade about David Lynch in the Easy Livin stream sealed it for me).
He's also a bad sport and whines every time he loses in a tournament. He literally threw Brandon's controller when he lost in NBA Jam like a fucking baby lol
It's not difficult to figure out why he's disliked, and you shouldn't assume that all the dislikes are just gay bashers looking for Dream Daddy videos to shit on lol.

Which game was this during?

Budi

Well...
Jesus Wept6 tuntia sitten
I'm gonna puke. What a disgusting game.
And the video has already about double the dislikes Ian's videos normally get. And it's just in 2.5k views atm. Should tell you something. Ofcourse not everyone disliking Ian and his videos are those who want to stick it to the SJW:s. But it's a lot. No need to downplay the homophobia on display here.

Regarding Easy Update overall, I do understand that people don't care for the randomness and lack of structure. But at the same time, others enjoy that you never know what you are going to get.
Feel free to not like people, just don't go out of your way to shit on them on their video.

Cause you're a civilised human being and all.
I mean yeah, if you don't like somene don't watch their personal content. It's very likely you aren't having a good time. Ofcourse Ian appears on other shows too and his Souls or bust attitude (which I think he has toned down) frustrates me too sometimes. But reading GAF has made me quite used to it already =P What I really love about Ian is that he isn't afraid to speak his mind on social issues. And I truly adored Mandatory Update (nights too), which was a team effort ofcourse. But Ian and Elyse were the perfect hosts for it.

demu

Feel free to not like people, just don't go out of your way to shit on them on their video.

Cause you're a civilised human being and all.
We definitely can agree on that. I don't even dislike him, but he can be pretty annoying at times. "Like, Bloodborne, like..." ;)

I enjoy Ian but he's probably the most (for the lack of a better word) "negative" attitude wise and sometimes doesn't seem like he enjoys games like the rest of the crew. but me & my gf love easy update...and my gf has a total crush on him.

Apparently you have to like Ian, cause L&R and all.

Yes, let's defend abusive comments.

ShadyK54

Apparently you have to like Ian, cause L&R and all.

EHerSZd.gif

Lexad

I don't care for EasyUpdate but I typically love when Ian is on the podcast. He balances out some of the hype others give which is helpful. I loved his input on Pyre during the latest Frametrap because he did also genuinely love the game.

UrbanRats

(that tirade about David Lynch in the Easy Livin stream sealed it for me).
What's that?

Anyway, even if you find someone grating, you dont have to let them know but, even if you really cant resist telling them how little you like them, there are ways to go about it that are civil.

R&D

Tregard

Soothsayer
This is pretty much a side effect of Ian having the most creative output of any of the Allies. Everyone else has their shows and streams with the set formats, but nobody else is doing such different stuff every week, with that much work consistently (or inconsistently) on bringing something new to the table every time. Because it's structure is the variety, I think people feel they are more open to criticise those individual elements, you open yourself to scrutiny when you deviate that much from the formula on a consistent basis. I think that's a large part of why Kyle didn't bring The Final Bosman back.

On top of that, Ian is different, obviously. It's fine if you don't like him (even if I really can't understand it, I think Ian is brilliant) but if that is the case, you absolutely have the agency to avoid him. There's no need to persue his content and be nasty, that environment brings all of the stuff EZA makes down with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom