• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Ian's great. Him and Don are the only ones that create edited content, although Don does it much more sporadically of course.

People need to get a grip. If you're an asshole, keep it to yourself, you don't need to broadcast it, and we need even less to see it.

Which game was this during?
I honestly don't remember since I was tuning in and out the entire stream. If I recall which game I'll post it here or PM you.
Well...
And the video has already about double the dislikes Ian's videos normally get. And it's just in 2.5k views atm. Should tell you something. Ofcourse not everyone disliking Ian and his videos are those who want to stick it to the SJW:s. But it's a lot. No need to downplay the homophobia on display here.
I'm not familiar with the usual trends of Easy Update likes/dislikes so I can't really say anything on that matter. The only point I was trying to make is that there are perfectly valid reasons to dislike Ian, and attempting to paint them all as homophobes or whatever is not exactly helpful.
Regarding Easy Update overall, I do understand that people don't care for the randomness and lack of structure. But at the same time, others enjoy that you never know what you are going to get.
I mean yeah, if you don't like somene don't watch their personal content. It's very likely you aren't having a good time. Ofcourse Ian appears on other shows too and his Souls or bust attitude (which I think he has toned down) frustrates me too sometimes. But reading GAF has made me quite used to it already =P What I really love about Ian is that he isn't afraid to speak his mind on social issues. And I truly adored Mandatory Update (nights too), which was a team effort ofcourse. But Ian and Elyse were the perfect hosts for it.
I don't like the guy but that doesn't mean I avoid everything he's a part of. He's a genuine musical talent and some of his Easy Update videos (and Mandatory Update) are excellent. I just roll my eyeballs whenever he pulls an Ian (Bloodborne, politics, etc.) and move on lol

Servbot24

Banned
I enjoy Ian but he's probably the most (for the lack of a better word) "negative" attitude wise and sometimes doesn't seem like he enjoys games like the rest of the crew. but me & my gf love easy update...and my gf has a total crush on him.

I'm a straight dude and I can't help but crush on Ian <3

I actually think Ian is one of the more positive people on the crew. Being a positive person doesn't mean you like everything - you can still be discerning and explain why things aren't for you.

Budi

I'm not familiar with the usual trends of Easy Update likes/dislikes so I can't really say anything on that matter. The only point I was trying to make is that there are perfectly valid reasons to dislike Ian, and attempting to paint them all as homophobes or whatever is not exactly helpful.
Sure, nobody was doing that though. No need to be defensive if you aren't part of that group. There just are direct comments showing these kind of hateful attitudes, people were talking about those.

Mista Koo

This is pretty much a side effect of Ian having the most creative output of any of the Allies. Everyone else has their shows and streams with the set formats, but nobody else is doing such different stuff every week, with that much work consistently (or inconsistently) on bringing something new to the table every time. Because it's structure is the variety, I think people feel they are more open to criticise those individual elements, you open yourself to scrutiny when you deviate that much from the formula on a consistent basis. I think that's a large part of why Kyle didn't bring The Final Bosman back.
Nah, because it's too fast and loose. A show needs a format or a premise to become a show.

I could forgive Ian just about any wrong because he almost singlehandedly convinced me to try out Talos Principle before the GT shutdown, and now the sequel cannot come soon enough.

Ian is a good egg.

Not to say there are any wrongs in need of forgiveness. I think I always enjoy his presence on the podcasts, even if I preferred ManUps and ManUps Nights to Easy Update.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I could forgive Ian just about any wrong because he almost singlehandedly convinced me to try out Talos Principle before the GT shutdown, and now the sequel cannot come soon enough.

Ian is a good egg.

Not to say there are any wrongs in need of forgiveness. I think I always enjoy his presence on the podcasts, even if I preferred ManUps and ManUps Nights to Easy Update.

I still really hope at some point Ian goes for a late night chatshow vibe that some people thought Easy Update may be.

Budi

I guess I just took issue with the way the new video was presented in this thread. "Another Easy Update, another wave of hateful ignorant comments", as if every criticism has been ignorant and/or hateful.
If your comment isn't hateful or ignorant, it's fine. I believe you are above that.

Edit: Nevermind, got my answer to the questions below!

But since nobody in the Splatoon OT wanted to help me, I'll ask it here too

Hi kids and squids! I'm asking behalf of my friend since he is raving something about changing loadouts being locked behind an Amiibo. Sorry that I can't be more precise about this, but I haven't played the game myself so I'm not entirely aware what he is talking about. But it would seem silly to only allow changing loadouts in the lobby if you buy an Amiibo. So are there such restrictions?

From what I've gathered you can just save loadouts. But it doesn't give the option to change them in the lobby. Are there any other ways to save a loadout than Amiibo? And does the Amiibo need to be Splatoon Amiibo for the saving to work?

Dysun

I really liked Ian as the 5th chair on GT Time since he always managed to reign in the hype or toss in a contrarian/snide view with great timing. As a full on guest on Frame Trap or the weekly podcast he is definitely not my favorite--but a good change of pace.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't really see how Ian could be called snide... If he dislikes something he does a good job of being direct about it and explaining why. I'd say snide is basically the opposite of his personality. Maybe people don't understand when he's joking?

Ian's one of my favourite allies, even though I find myself disagreeing with him a fair bit over video games. You'd have to be burying your head in the sand not to see that he tends to get the most hateful comments out of any of the allies, typically from the usual internet morons who cry about SJWs all the time.

Anyone got a link to his David Lynch 'rant' or whatever from the Easy Living stream?

Budi

Eh, I'm sure some think of my comment as ignorant but to each his own. When it comes down to it, I just want Ian to stop being mean to Bosman. :mad:
Hah, well I do hope you are aware that it's their on-going bit back from the GT. And overall Kyle often has the role of "villain" in EZA. It's all in good fun. They are all friends, even Kyle and Ian. Kyle has been in some of those Easy Updates too and they get along very well.

Hah, well I do hope you are aware that it's their on-going bit back from the GT. And overall Kyle often has the role of "villain" in EZA. It's all in good fun.

I know, I'm just trying to lighten up the mood in here after I took a dump in it earlier. ;)

L&R

Anyone got a link to his David Lynch 'rant' or whatever from the Easy Living stream?

I'm still trying to remember the game they were playing. Does anyone remember which game it was where Huber had a live and impromptu Talking Syndrome? Might have been that one since they discussed film and TV, IIRC.

Dysun

I don't really see how Ian could be called snide... If he dislikes something he does a good job of being direct about it and explaining why. I'd say snide is basically the opposite of his personality. Maybe people don't understand when he's joking?

I would agree that since EZA's inception he gets a chance to articulate his viewpoint, and that it isn't a fair label. But that wasn't the case for a lot of GT Time, especially in the last year of its run since he was often off-camera and interjected mid-conversation.

Budi

I know, I'm just trying to lighten up the mood in here after I took a dump in it earlier. ;)

L&R

I'm still trying to remember the game they were playing. Does anyone remember which game it was where Huber had a live and impromptu Talking Syndrome? Might have been that one since they discussed film and TV, IIRC.
I only remember Huber and Jones talking movies during Resident Evil. But I didn't catch all of the stream ofcourse, so probably missed that. I remember them talking about having a live syndrome after it though.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think Ian was great on the Podcast the other week, as it was all loopy positivity and just stuff about the news. It was a truly great podcast. But its when he just shits on things because he thinks thats his "thing", and how he was hovering above the Nier conversation between Huber and Ben in Frame Trap like a vulture, that he becomes The Bad Egg.

Then he resurrected his terrible "the lips not moving in Bloodborne is a creative choice" argument in the Q&A and he just needs to exorcise that part of him fullstop.

Largely been good content recently though.

I don't browse comments much, but when I did see the dislike ratio I took a gander. There's definitely people putting down the video/game simply because it caters to gay people. To say otherwise is a gross disservice.

There are bad apples in the community, but there's bad apples in any large gaming community.

I don't really care about the trolls or people who are incapable of being adults as long as they don't influence the quality of content the Allies give. That's just me though, I can understand how others can be more bothered by it if they spend more time in comments/Twitch chat.

Also I love Ian.

imagine slighting someone's character for their thoughts on david fucking lynch

e: after this week's podcast i really want to see kyle review a game

UrbanRats

Well hell as a Lynch fan now i'm curious.
What was it about, anyway?

Servbot24

Banned
I think Ian was great on the Podcast the other week, as it was all loopy positivity and just stuff about the news. It was a truly great podcast. But its when he just shits on things because he thinks thats his "thing", and how he was hovering above the Nier conversation between Huber and Ben in Frame Trap like a vulture, that he becomes The Bad Egg.

Then he resurrected his terrible "the lips not moving in Bloodborne is a creative choice" argument in the Q&A and he just needs to exorcise that part of him fullstop.

Largely been good content recently though.
Huh? That Bloodborne part from Ian is completely on the money. Honestly it seems so obvious I'm shocked that anyone would disagree.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Huh? That Bloodborne part from Ian is completely on the money. Honestly it seems so obvious I'm shocked that anyone would disagree.

If by "on the money" you mean "please don't attack my precious darling, but hey look at this shotgun scattershot I'm taking on everything else" then sure. "All games have bad lip sync" is not a position. If people wonder why Ian gets hate outside of bigots, it's absolutely his own hater stuff like that fuelling it.

His 'broken' controller during Tekken 7 was also a look into how he gets babied a lot more by the other allies because they're probably aware he's far less chill and might legit get nasty.

Servbot24

Banned
If by "on the money" you mean "please don't attack my precious darling, but hey look at this shotgun scattershot I'm taking on everything else" then sure. "All games have bad lip sync" is not a position. If people wonder why Ian gets hate outside of bigots, it's absolutely his own hater stuff like that fuelling it.

His 'broken' controller during Tekken 7 was also a look into how he gets babied a lot more by the other allies because they're probably aware he's far less chill and might legit get nasty.
But almost all games do have bad lip sync, unless they have Naughty Dog level budget. That's not a controversial opinion at all. It's not a hateful position either, it's just a reality of lip sync being difficult to do.

To your second point I'm just a bit bewildered that someone would say something so ridiculously slanderous. I know that being a dick is your "character" or whatever on here, but that is way overboard.

Bahorel

I shouldn't have gone to look. That Charlottesville commment made my jaw drop. There aren't any words to combat that kind of hatred. Also I always press for the report button for shit like that but nothing ever happens :/ Why even have it YouTube if you're not going to actually remove it

N° 2048

I shouldn't have gone to look. That Charlottesville commment made my jaw drop. There aren't any words to combat that kind of hatred. Also I always press for the report button for shit like that but nothing ever happens :/ Why even have it YouTube if you're not going to actually remove it

YouTube doesn't give a fuck about anything but money.

Tregard

Soothsayer

Terrible take, nothing else to be said.

Yeah, my blood boiled looking at that comment. For those wondering but don't want to look: "You should visit Charlottesville soon Ian, I hear they have nice cars for people like you"

Just disgusting. So much hate even amongst this community.

Well hell as a Lynch fan now i'm curious.
What was it about, anyway?

I've looked through a few videos and still haven't found it... sorry. He essentially said Lynch was a sexist old man and was generally negative and dismissive of his directing in Twin Peaks 2017. I'll admit that "tirade" may have been exagerrating a bit, but seeing Huber just lapping up what Ian was saying (Huber hasn't seen it) is probably what made it worse for me.

Err yeah, that comment was definitely not there earlier. Awful.

Budi

I've looked through a few videos and still haven't found it... sorry. He essentially said Lynch was a sexist old man and was generally negative and dismissive of his directing in Twin Peaks 2017. I'll admit that "tirade" may have been exagerrating a bit, but seeing Huber just lapping up what Ian was saying (Huber hasn't seen it) is probably what made it worse for me.

Err yeah, that comment was definitely not there earlier. Awful.
Ah I remember catching a glimpse of that. And I remember him saying something along lines "some weird stuff with female characters". Don't remember him condemning Lynch as a person though. But I really can't remember since I wasn't paying so much attention to it at the moment. Not really easy to find the discussion from all that content =D But it's not like others haven't written articles about it if you care to look. Just google Twin Peaks women and you'll find plenty of critique.

Lexad

I really liked Ian as the 5th chair on GT Time since he always managed to reign in the hype or toss in a contrarian/snide view with great timing. As a full on guest on Frame Trap or the weekly podcast he is definitely not my favorite--but a good change of pace.

I really miss that dynamic of a 5th chair behind the booth. He was fantastic for that. I have no problem only a full guest, its just different

demu

Yeah, my blood boiled looking at that comment. For those wondering but don't want to look: "You should visit Charlottesville soon Ian, I hear they have nice cars for people like you"

Just disgusting. So much hate even amongst this community.
That's just sickening, like what the actual fuck?
I haven't read that before, so when I wrote that you are allowed to dislike Ian, or any EZA member for that matter, I sure as hell didn't mean comments like these. I wasn't aware that stuff like this gets posted on the EZA channel.

Piers

What sort of game specialties and roles does Brad and Bloodworth fill in EA outside of their own game streams?
AFAIK...
Kyle: Podcast. News. Final Bosman.
Ben: Frame Trap.
Huber: Syndrome. Script.
Ian: Editing. Video series forgot the name of.
Don: Editing.
Brandon: Trailers. Editing.
Bloodworth: Script writing.
Damiani: Nintendo related things. Script.

Is Tabletop Escapades or Easy Anime Brad's idea? I think Bloodworth is keen on driving and strategy right?

ZeoVGM

Banned

He said he was doing some "weird stuff with women" and you turned it into a "tirade" to complain about him being too political, which always has an awkward meaning behind it.

God forbid someone remotely comment on important things. Wouldn't want to let any reality sneak into our podcasts.

Bahorel

What sort of game specialties and roles does Brad and Bloodworth fill in EA outside of their own game streams?
AFAIK…

Is Tabletop Escapades or Easy Anime Brad's idea? I think Bloodworth is keen on driving and strategy right?

Blood does a lottt of managing and scheduling, getting things posted, and communicating with game companies. He does a lot of the background stuff you don't get to see on camera. He'll probably chime in himself, but yea he keeps the wheels a'turnin'

Budi

I hope everyone reports that trash comment on YouTube.

People are such garbage.
Unfortunately there's no point really. They can just create another account and continue spewing shit like that. I would delete the comment though if I was handling the EZA Youtube account.

Budi

AFAIK...

Don't forget the reviews! Brad has done few too and Bloodworth bit more I think. And Brad is working on the Dark Souls retro at the moment.
It doesn't make a short term difference, but YouTube can track frequency and types of reports, so an influx of reports over time could raise the visibility of the issue at the executive level.
Didn't think of that! Will report.

Edit: whoops, I've been really bad with double posts lately.

Servbot24

Banned
Unfortunately there's no point really. They can just create another account and continue spewing shit like that. I would delete the comment though if I was handling the EZA Youtube account.

It doesn't make a short term difference, but YouTube can track frequency and types of reports, so an influx of reports over time could raise the visibility of the issue at the executive level.

UrbanRats

I see.
People i trust (here on GAF and elsewhere) were saying how great the new Twin Peaks was, so i was curious.
I'm not too worried though, since when it comes to movies i don't really share much in common with the allies (the ones that do talk about movies, anyway) in terms of taste.

The issue of shitty and vile comments on YouTube is as highlighted as it can be, it's almost a meme at this point.
If they don't do anything, either they don't know how, or they don't care, but either way, they know.

I would also deactivate comments if i were them, just let people who want to share their (civil) thoughts, do so in more moderated places, like the EZA forum or Patreon.

Tregard

Soothsayer
That's just sickening, like what the actual fuck?
I haven't read that before, so when I wrote that you are allowed to dislike Ian, or any EZA member for that matter, I sure as hell didn't mean comments like these. I wasn't aware that stuff like this gets posted on the EZA channel.

I hope you can understand why I was so vehement to defend earlier

He said he was doing some "weird stuff with women" and you turned it into a "tirade" to complain about him being too political, which always has an awkward meaning behind it.

God forbid someone remotely comment on important things. Wouldn't want to let any reality sneak into our podcasts.

Lynch does weird stuff, period. Having a one-sided debate and projecting his thoughts that he's a sexist onto Huber is what set me off. It's not conducive to a discussion.. not like he was really interested in one anyway.

I'm a Lynch fan but he's definitely a pervy old dude. Twin Peaks season 3 is also polarizing, so I'm not surprised.
Hopefully someone can find what he actually said, would like to give it a listen.

Piers

Don't forget the reviews! Brad has done few too and Bloodworth bit more I think. And Brad is working on the Dark Souls retro at the moment.
Didn't think of that! Will report.

Sans Kyle and Don, I think the Allies in general do reviews. What does Brad specialise in?

Pie and Beans

Sans Kyle and Don, I think the Allies in general do reviews. What does Brad specialise in?

Brad does reviews now and he must be collating an enormous amount of Soulsborne footage for the retro. EZAnime was definitely something he wanted to get going with Ben too. I'm real glad he made the jump from GT to EZA despite being the newest blood. I find his fierceness refreshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom