• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge previews 40 hours of Final Fantasy XV

BTA

Would have been cool to hit the shift without knowing, but I would have learned it once reviews talked about it anyway, and now it's something to look forward to instead. It sounds like it could be interesting and that's all I want out of this anyway.

Nya

Why would they let them play an incomplete game and let them write a preview for it? Wouldn't they have told Edge to hold off on writing about that specific part under NDA or something?

They already allowed a lot of journalists to play the first 15 hours of the game so..

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Would have been cool to hit the shift without knowing, but I would have learned it once reviews talked about it anyway, and now it's something to look forward to instead. It sounds like it could be interesting and that's all I want out of this anyway.
I don't think I've really ever gone into these dramatic shifts without knowing... going way back to having the World of Ruin printed right on the map that came with FFVI.

What a weird thread this has developed into. Even if the preview isn't based on the full version it should still be representative of it.

Exactly. The guy played 40 hours of the game. It has to have been pretty much complete. As others have pointed out, any earlier in it's development cycle and the game wouldn't have been in a state to preview to that extent. Plus, it's out in stores in 3 weeks - how much can the game really change over that short space of time.

I'm not gonna comment on the Edge preview, because I already saw and read enough of the game (seriously how many hours of footage some of you saw?).

But I'm gonna say this was indeed an awesome preview of the review thread, it will be glorious either way. lol

I'm really looking forward to picking up the game myself, just seems interesting that the twitter account is rather quick to detract from the article.

Do you guys all have a suicide pact riding on the commercial or critical success of the game? That must explain why you're all so sensitive.
Sensitive? Dude there is a whole thread on the previews of the first few chapters and plenty of other threads that are based on the previews from FFXV and there isn't anything overly negative as the sense of feeling this preview evokes, which is also riddled with vague sentences that can be interpreted in whatever way the user prefers, be it negative or positive.

Do we simply ignore the previews from the other press, and try to focus on edge and their in-depth preview (that isn't even the full game) as they said, to paint a picture that shows the game in negative light?

It is annoying to me because a single preview is somehow able to diminish whatever good will the game was getting as it reached closer to release.

Sensitive? Dude there is a whole thread on the previews of the first few chapters and plenty of other threads that are based on the previews from FFXV and there isn't anything overly negative as the sense of feeling this preview evokes, which is also riddled with vague sentences that can be interpreted in whatever way the user prefers, be it negative or positive.

Do we simply ignore the previews from the other press, and try to focus on edge and their in-depth preview (that isn't even the full game) as they said, to paint a picture that shows the game in negative light?

It is annoying to me because a single preview is somehow able to diminish whatever good will the game was getting as it reached closer to release.
People spent that entire preview thread saying not to take previews seriously too that's the funny part. Not entering that review thread at all it's going to be a yelling match from both sides good or bad reviews

TuXx

Second half seems like a huge mess, to the surprise of no one.

People keep loosely saying second half. It's late in the game where it changes to a linear game. The dude played 40 hours of the game, excluding side content, before reaching that point.

yami4ct

A final fantasy game with a confusing and potential incomplete feeling ending? You don't say.

I always expected this game to come out with major flaws. The chance of something with the dev cycle coming out perfect is quite low, but I also accept that and am looking forward to playing it for what it is. I'm also one of the people who really digs FFXIII, but that's pretty much completely on the back of the combat system, so I don't expect my options to reflect the whole.

One more tweet from them:

yeah, I dunno, we're gonna need EDGE to step in and say something like "then what the fuck was that?"

jM0dBLx.gif

Arkeband

Banned

Most of those goodwill previews from other outlets had a caveat that they weren't sure that the polished experience they were shown was indicative of the rest of the game.

This is the first preview that basically answers that for us, and while it doesn't sound like a complete disaster, it definitely extinguishes some of the hype.

Nya

Most of those goodwill previews from other outlets had a caveat that they weren't sure that the polished experience they were shown was indicative of the rest of the game.

This is the first preview that basically answers that for us, and while it doesn't sound like a complete disaster, it definitely extinguishes some of the hype.

Its still one review though, and people are acting like its a huge disaster even though nothing is majorly negative about it. I also find it ironic that people don't believe the positive impressions of the game but still believe this one critical piece of the game, its pretty obvious lol

Seems weird. Wouldn't editing a build for a single publication to play take a lot of work? Especially if it felt like it was the full game (if the writer didn't realize)
Maybe it's like some Super Hero movies removing the post credits ending or something.

LowParry

They said it wasn't the full game, too.

Still weird as fuck :p

Ugh. I suppose it's best just to forget about this preview. Reviews will be it. Impressions here on GAF are usually my go to thing and I'll be sure to provide as much of that. Probably going to go hard into the game when it goes live.

This is now starting to sound like Metal Gear Solid V.... which had, guess, 93 meta score :p

FWIW, I haven't read the complete preview but read every thing that was shared from it in this thread, spoiler tagged or otherwise, and I don't understand the negativity aside from two major concerning points.

The bit about forced Stealth with Noctis alone while RE-esque exploration
The ending talk, or is it really the ending? That makes it sound like it won't be satisfying

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Seems weird. Wouldn't editing a build for a single publication to play take a lot of work? Especially if it felt like it was the full game (if the writer didn't realize)
Maybe it's like some Super Hero movies removing the post credits ending or something.

If there is one thing I am near-100% certain is not going on here, it is the idea that Edge received an otherwise-complete version of the game which carefully selected bits and pieces to deftly remove from their experience.

It just... why? Why would anyone do that? <_<; We as fans often mention these possibilities whenever anything like this comes up, but I've yet to hear of it actually happening.

Formosa

I really hope the endgame or at least 1/2 of the second 1/2 game will be open world and not linear. Square should know that the fans doesn't like linear FFs by now.

That omen trailer hints at a tonal change, I'm totally fine with it. Hell just means I'll get more out of it. I wish I didn't know that going in tho.

Zedark

Schrodinger's RPG. It's an amazing tour de force, that will bring back Final Fantasy to the forefront and is one of the few truly original AAA releases of the past decade, and it's a crushing hackneyed disappointment that doesn't overcome development hell, filled with half baked features.

And we'll all open the box together on November 29.

Hell even the preview is Schrodinger'ed. Edge finished the game but they didn't finish the game. I need Doctor Strange.

You couldn't have made me more hyped ( not that I wasn't already) for november 29 than you have with this!

The most awesome thing is, on november 29 many people will open the box and find different results, so we can determine the probability that it is one or the other! My inner physicist is so restless right now.

sublimit

Banned
I kinda expected that it would be a very fragmented game in general with individual parts that may be great on their own but weak when you place them together and try to see the bigger picture.
I still think that i will enjoy the game a lot though.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
and I don't understand the negativity aside from two major concerning points.

The bit about forced Stealth with Noctis alone while RE-esque exploration
The ending talk, or is it really the ending? That makes it sound like it won't be satisfying

1. Even if it spans a full chapter and sucks utterly, it'll just be a low-end experience within the game itself, heh. If it sucks, I surely hope it doesn't last overlong. But hey, I think it might be kinda neat?
2. Yeah, I don't know. I've read the complete article. There are criticisms of plot in there in the paragraph which addresses it -- but it isn't a particularly harsh criticism overall. And Edge has been known to dig much deeper in its words when gaming stories don't work for them. It sounds like the author found FFXV's narrative flawed but serviceable overall, IMO.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Ya people are saying only the first 1/2 is open world then it becomes linear the second 1/2. I do not want the game to end in any linear way...

Well, Tabata stated directly a long while back that the latter stretches of the game play out in a more linear fashion, so I'll go ahead and plop that rain cloud over your head ahead of time.

(Personally, this is as I want it; I prefer linearity overall if it allows for greater narrative focus and development.)

It will be really funny if Edge gives the game a 8 or 9 grade.
Won't be the first time when an outlet has a lukewarm reception in preview and good score in review.

Stealth
Linear

Those are the two words that have triggered people. For whatever reason.
Funny thing is that both were well known if you followed the game's development. They have showcased Stealth
(even hiding behind cover in base with Noctis alone)
and the Linear aspect was revealed directly by Tabata in an ATR IIRC.

LowParry

Funny thing is that both were well known if you followed the game's development. They have showcased Stealth
(even hiding behind cover in base with Noctis alone)
and the Linear aspect was revealed directly by Tabata in an ATR IIRC.

Exactly! These are things we already know and people are all up in arms about. Which event that showed that base infiltration?

Top Bottom