• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge previews 40 hours of Final Fantasy XV

I'm entirely confused, ha! More previews are always good, though. The second half could be quite interesting.
I was hoping Luna would magically have a bit more screentime. Live, Luna, liiiiiive!

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Simon ParkinVerified account
‏@SimonParkin
@Horizonx12 I was told there were some outstanding bugs in the build, so not final code.
5:31 PM - 8 Nov 2016
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet

That's the only thing about Edge's build that wasn't final, folks.

Koozek

>FFXV launch day
>Reviews say it feels like a continuation of something else
>IGN does a live interview with Tabata minutes before the release
>Tabata has his face covered with bandages after an earlier accident
>FFXV gameplay is played on the background
>White whale appears
>Tabata says it's based on Moby Dick
>He says he can't hold it anymore
>He removes his bandages
>Tabata was Hideo Kojima all along
>Kojima says "Did you rike it?"
CwUsciPW8AIsxaY.jpg

valkyre

This thread looks spoiler dangerous to me, so I am afraid to participate (already saw some posts about spoilers left without spoiler tags), so can someone give me the short version?

Did the Edge guy like it or hate it, or something in between?

sappyday

This thread looks spoiler dangerous to me, so I am afraid to participate (already saw some posts about spoilers left without spoiler tags), so can someone give me the short version?

It's confirmed to be the worst game this gen

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

Something in-between, I'd say, but bear in mind Edge's folks are notoriously harsh. This was a reasonably glowing preview, all things considered.

Still, it's the specifics of the criticisms which set the thread aflame.

Exactly, the reply is carefully worded not to confirm that he actually finished the final fight. Like you say it's not helping.

Even if he didn't I'm not sure it matters. 40 hours in a game, given experience of both the first and second half of the game, is enough time for formulate the opinions expressed in the preview.

My guess is, this was an extended preview build. Maybe he didn't play through the game from start to finish. Maybe it was 20 hours in the open world bit, skip some, play 20 hours in the linear part, finish at last boss.

I think the point is, regardless of interpretation, nothing he's written is invalidated by such a play-through.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Lukewarm at best. Some positives in terms of ideas and originality. Lots of negatives in terms of game design and characters/story.

Some more from Mr Parkin on Twitter:

"Open world is very much open. Train section and what follows immediately afterwards is linear"

MilkBeard

Confusing. Maybe the FF XV twitter person has incorrect information passed to him/her. That person explicitly said that the Edge writer didn't see the ending.

Hopefully they clarify with correct information soon.

Here, this should look better than my previous attempt at capturing this tweet:

https://twitter.com/SimonParkin/status/796118026793918465

In other words, the only thing "missing" from Edge's version of the game was some bug-fixes.
So FFXV confirmed to have multiple endings.

He rushed through the game and received the normal and 'confusing' ending while true one remains hidden.

oLxlORn.png

I guess that settles it. He considers his experience of playing the 40 hours as positive.

LowParry

Confusing. Maybe the FF XV twitter person has incorrect information passed to him/her. That person explicitly said that the Edge writer didn't see the ending.

Maybe they thought they only got the 15 hour build or whatever you want to call it but Edge got a near final build with the whole game? Why is that Edge got this build and no one else did?

Gbraga

I don't think there's a lot of doubt anymore.

FFXV's twitter account says he didn't see the entire story, he says he played up to the final boss, felt the conclusion was a bit confusing. There's obviously some cutscenes, maybe a little bit of playable epilogue, but probably just cutscenes that come after that and were missing in this build.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
He liked the game.

Erik Salter ‏@an1310 4m4 minutes ago
@SimonParkin @granth1974 I got the sense FFXV was a fairly positive experience with some quirks you detailed? Fair statement?

‏@SimonParkin
@an1310 Yes, absolutely.

Basically Square gave Edge a early review copy.

Yep!

I don't think there's a lot of doubt anymore.

FFXV's twitter account says he didn't see the entire story, he says he played up to the final boss, felt the conclusion was a bit confusing. There's obviously some cutscenes, maybe a little bit of playable epilogue, but probably just cutscenes that come after that and were missing in this build.

I don't get this impression at all. FFXV's twitter handler is very likely simply mistaken.

semiconscious

Gold Member

the edge writer agrees that he didn't see the ending. but he says he played up to just before the final boss, which is pretty damn close :) ...

Maybe they thought they only got the 15 hour build or whatever you want to call it but Edge got a near final build with the whole game? Why is that Edge got this build and no one else did?
Just like how GameInformer got early access to the Beta build. Edge got this build while promoting the game on their cover.

Gbraga

I don't get this impression at all. FFXV's twitter handler is very likely simply mistaken.

It's just that I was thinking, jschreier said before that the transition from the Titan fight to SUMMON GET felt a bit janky, like something was missing, and it might just be the game being janky in its transitions, but it could also be because maybe there are no CGI cutscenes aside from the opening in these preview builds? Maybe that's what's missing, a final CGI cutscene after the final boss, and he didn't see it because it's just not there, not because he was locked out of it for spoiler reasons. Could make the ending feel more satisfying and less confusing, or maybe it wouldn't really make a difference to how he feels about it, but it's a fitting way to make it work with both of their statements.

...but it's more likely that the twitter handler was just wrong.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
the edge writer agrees that he didn't see the ending. but he says he played up to just before the final boss, which is pretty damn close :) ...

I'm not seeing anyplace in which Mr. Parkin says he didn't see the ending. Saying he played to the final boss is more of a colloquial of sorts. He's saying he finished the game. Hence why he mentions its conclusion in the Edge article.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It's just that I was thinking, jschreier said before that the transition from the Titan fight to SUMMON GET felt a bit janky, like something was missing, and it might just be the game being janky in its transitions, but it could also be because maybe there are no CGI cutscenes aside from the opening in these preview builds? Maybe that's what's missing, a final CGI cutscene after the final boss, and he didn't see it because it's just not there, not because he was locked out of it for spoiler reasons. Could make the ending feel more satisfying and less confusing, or maybe it wouldn't really make a difference to how he feels about it, but it's a fitting way to make it work with both of their statements.

...but it's more likely that the twitter handler was just wrong.

Mm, I hear you. I'd still be very much surprised if this were the case, however. Giving a trade publication access to 99.9% of a game's narrative just seems like a very, very strange thing to do. Under any circumstances. ...ever. <_<;

Gbraga

well seems like some people will need to wait for the next hate review - sry guys

I mean, he didn't seem to love it either. It never semed like he hated the game at all, people were just projecting. Reading that twitter post either way is a stretch, imo.

Mm, I hear you. I'd still be very much surprised if this were the case, however. Giving a trade publication access to 99.9% of a game's narrative just seems like a very, very strange thing to do. Under any circumstances. ...ever. <_<;

Yeah, I didn't think about it that way. There's also the possibility of him just using his experience with this build to write the review, just testing major bugs he encountered to see if they were fixed or something like that. So they wouldn't want to do this, unless it was clearly stated to be missing those cutscenes.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
For the record, he's recognizing the possibility parts were excluded:

&#8207;@SimonParkin
@MoogleKupoCake @granth1974 It wasn't the final build so may well have been parts excluded!

Still seems like a strange thing to do, but hey!

semiconscious

Gold Member
I'm not seeing anyplace in which Mr. Parkin says he didn't see the ending. Saying he played to the final boss is more of a colloquial of sorts. He's saying he finished the game. Hence why he mentions its conclusion in the Edge article.

okay, then what exactly is squeenix implying in their tweet?...

Mcdohl

Damn... Just think of all those "TOLD YOU SO" GIF's that are just waiting to be posted. :(

I can bet some of them are holding them for the review thread.

Will they get to use them?

STAY TUNED.

Review thread will be a bloodbath. The great war of 2016.

MilkBeard

Yes, it's just his particular writing style to write in a somewhat roundabout manner, it seems :)

Simo

Not really relevant but Simon also wrote that recent Eurogamer piece about development finishing on FFXV so he was likely playing the 40 hours or so at the studio during his time there.

Ray Down

Banned

Remember this is Square enix so strange things they do so i don't know anymore.

Either way this will be one ride to the finish line.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
okay, then what exactly is squeenix implying in their tweet?...

I've held firm since the beginning of today's crazy ride that the twitter handler is not infallible and was merely mistaken. They're also choosing words quite carefully. Not experiencing the complete game =/= not reaching the conclusion of the critical path. How many developers these past few years have stressed again and again that players need to explore nooks and crannies of open world environments for the complete picture?

Of course, when the twitter handler straightforwardly say Edge didn't reach the end of the game, that's a bit more awkward. But I'm giving Simon Parkin the benefit of the doubt and expecting that he's capable of recognizing when a video game's storyline has ended.

Mcdohl

Someone please ask him if there's another open area besides the map we've seen so far (Leide, Duscae, Cleigne, etc.)

Top Bottom