• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge previews 40 hours of Final Fantasy XV

Ishida

Banned
Ok, so we now have ending/post-ending stuff leaked?

Time to abandon the Internet, it seems. 10 years waiting, I'm not going to screw myself now.

Why did I check the GameFAQs thread...........

The information regarding the play time is really promising though, especially the side content is worth many many hours than official estimate.

MilkBeard

woiooooooooooahahhhahhh

wooottatsadasdasjpggdso

adaaaAAJFKLSD

ok

ok

OK

alright

ok

lol. I'm not sure if I would believe that guy, although it would be interesting if what he says is true. Although, I thought I remember Tabata saying no new game plus?

Ray Down

Banned

Time to abandon the Internet, it seems. 10 years waiting, I'm not going to screw myself now.

Nothing leaked as in details about it, just that it may exist.

Again guys, these are rumors.

Though remember Tabata had post game stuff in Type-0.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

There's nothing like that in the GameFAQs link, no worries. In fact, there's some considerable doubt in that thread as to the topic creator's validity, too. The topic creator's account is in warned status, even.

Gbraga

Really...from a user without proof with a Warned account?

rip everything

preorder cancelled

lol. I'm not sure if I would believe that guy, although it would be interesting if what he says is true. Although, I thought I remember Tabata saying no new game plus?

I think he just said you can't carry your levels and stuff, so the previous confirmation of NG+ still stands, I guess?

Maybe.

As far as I'm concerned, that's alright. Carrying your levels is only fun if the game is harder on NG+, otherwise, I'll take just keeping my weapons, outfits and shit, but starting from level 1.

Ishida

Banned
There's nothing like that in the GameFAQs link, no worries. In fact, there's some considerable doubt in that thread as to the topic creator's validity, too. The topic creator's account is in warned status, even.

Aaahh, I see. I freaked out at DarkLordMalik's reaction.

Ray Down

Banned
I'm honestly brought it up since people brought up the idea that the Edge review may have not gotten everything of the main story.

Aaahh, I see. I freaked out at DarkLordMalik's reaction.
I had no idea about the warned user status. That's a relief then.

Those saying that the strategy guide was supposed to release on 29 should keep in mind that it was originally slated for Sep 30. A lot of early MGSV info was leaked through a guide IIRC.

SaniOYOYOY

So assuming both parties didn't lie, edge guy has access up until final boss but without ending nor perhaps even the complete story preceding it, like square gave them game version with few story bits excluded out....is that even possible???wtf dude I dont think stuff surrounding FFXV can get any weirder than this
square plis I have exam next week

Koozek

I'm out. See y'all next month. It's been a crazy ride.

O0K6h1b.gif

MilkBeard

So assuming both parties didn't lie, edge guy has access up until final boss but without ending nor perhaps even the complete story preceding it, like square gave them game version with few story bits excluded out....is that even possible???wtf dude I dont think stuff surrounding FFXV can get any weirder than this
square plis I have exam next week

Yes, this is not entirely out of the realm of possibility, but it would be weird. Especially without telling the person playing that the version is lacking some scenes. I wish the twitter person would clarify further.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Let's take a step back and examine the rationale Square would have for giving any major publication 99.9% of a video game but excluding one or two cutscenes.

1. "So that the truth isn't revealed!" Simon Parkin isn't going to discuss individual plot details regardless. Edge isn't going to discuss them in general. If for some incredibly bizarre reason the company decided to get involved with some hot water and started spoiling specifics all over the place, holding back a few more moments wouldn't accomplish much of anything.

2. "Because they're Square Enix! They're super-weird!" Yeah, but what would be the purpose? By allowing Mr. Parkin to reach the tail end of the narrative, they must have known he'd talk broadly about the story in the preview. Why would they intentionally wish to magnify the chance he'd call it confusing?

3. "Certain story scenes weren't ready yet!" This strikes me as borderline impossible. Edge received a copy of the game too close to release for Square to have been working on anything but bug-squashing and last-minute balancing. If art and rendering teams were still working on cutscene implementation, I feel like this would be a March title, not November.

Let's take a step back and examine the rationale Square would have for giving any major publication 99.9% of a video game but excluding one or two cutscenes.

1. "So that the truth isn't revealed!" Simon Parkin isn't going to discuss individual plot details regardless. Edge isn't going to discuss them in general. If for some incredibly bizarre reason the company decided to get involved with some hot water and started spoiling specifics all over the place, holding back a few more moments wouldn't accomplish much of anything.

2. "Because they're Square Enix! They're super-weird!" Yeah, but what would be the purpose? By allowing Mr. Parkin to reach the tail end of the narrative, they must have known he'd talk broadly about the story in the preview. Why would they intentionally wish to magnify the chance he'd call it confusing?

3. "Certain story scenes weren't ready yet!" This strikes me as borderline impossible. Edge received a copy of the game too close to release for Square to have been working on anything but bug-squashing and last-minute balancing. If art and rendering teams were still working on cutscene implementation, I feel like this would be a March title, not November.
Or option 4:

giphy.gif

They don't exist. Hahahahahaha!!!!!!

...I think I should stop now.

He just said he didn't played the chapter 15.

LordKasual

Banned
So I tweeted the reviewer, Simon Parkin and he was kind enough to respond. I told him his criticisms were causing stress on GAF and asked how far through he got - here is the response:
9BBiqsSb.png

Thank you. At least now I don't have to wonder.

Either square was ballsy/confident as fuck, or just silly, to give the game to Edge to preview.

But either way, i'm not deterred. This is pretty much the only non-majorly positive review ive heard of the game thus far, and the criticisms put forth are not only expected but pretty tame compared to what most of us were thinking.

I'm cool with it.

These new leaks though....the gold version of the game is finished, nope

Simo

Thank you. At least now I don't have to wonder.

Either square was ballsy/confident as fuck, or just silly, to give the game to Edge to preview.

But either way, i'm not deterred. This is pretty much the only non-majorly positive review ive heard of the game thus far, and the criticisms put forth are not only expected but pretty tame compared to what most of us were thinking.

I'm cool with it.

These new leaks though....the gold version of the game is finished, nope

They didn't give the game to Edge to preview, Simon was at Square Enix's studio in Japan for seemingly a co-op feature for Eurogamer and Edge as he's a freelance writer:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-02-finishing-final-fantasy

So whatever he played was there at the studio a few weeks ago.

LordKasual

Banned
Do you think that the final boss will be as epic as Kefka final boss fight in VI.

Fighting a scrolling picture? Sure!

/s
does that mean sarcasm

So FFXV confirmed to have multiple endings.

He rushed through the game and received the normal and 'confusing' ending while true one remains hidden.

oLxlORn.png

I guess that settles it. He considers his experience of playing the 40 hours as positive.

Now im super good. We gucci.

Guys, GUYS. We gucci.

I wonder if XV is gonna be like Type-0 and force you to play the game more than once to get the *TRUE STORY*

I didn't like it's execution in Type-0 so I hope not.

There also seems to be an abundance of mechanics that are tied to specific regions and parts of the game that don't carry over once you leave ultimately making them feel unfinished. Chocobo stats don't seem to carry over from region to region and certain gameplay options like Cid's weapon customization all but vanish once you've left one location.
Not at all surprised.

you telling me FFXV feels like a game cobbled together from several different creative visions and hundreds of ideas off and on for the course of a decade

silva1991

Do you think that the final boss will be as epic as Kefka final boss fight in VI.

The boss's look and design? highly likely. all enemy designs in this game have been great and final boss will probably be no exception.

The action fighting itself? probably not. We have seen Titan and Aranea and they weren't good(aside from the visuals and animations)

and this is what the previewer said :

The battle system works well in small groups of enemies, and is at its best at those times when Noctis is forced to fight alone. The system comes close to falling apart completely during boss fights, as the camera swivels wildly to keep up with the action, often leaving you giddy and disoriented.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=223550271&postcount=2952

It's a shame really, because when it was by "the creators of KH" I was anticipating God-tier boss fights like the ones in KH2.

Terra, organization 13 members(data versions) and Sephiroth are some of the best humanoid bosses in gaming for me.

SaniOYOYOY

uh oh. if this ends up being like a new neir situation...

I don't wanna cry

If the gfaqs leak is right then square mightpull out another NIER new game plus as in hiding an additional story/chapter/perspective (some kind of true meaning behind everything yada yada) there)
. In Nier (nier spoiler)
the narrative works and compliment that type of new game plus, but I cant see FFXV pulling that off. Its sure is nice and refreshing if FFXV did manage to do so but if they cant, I expect a massive blow in SE face. it feels super dangerous and not worth the risk imho

TannerDemoz

Why are people getting so worked up over minor criticisms? Was everyone expecting a preview on the game to do nothing but sing its praises?

Most video games are going to have some flaws. Simon's a great writer and I think he's provided a great analysis.

Doesn't mean the game is going to be bad?

Mailbox

Why are people getting so worked up over minor criticisms? Was everyone expecting a preview on the game to do nothing but sing its praises?

Most video games are going to have some flaws. Simon's a great writer and I think he's provided a great analysis.

Doesn't mean the game is going to be bad?

we are.... very sensitive with this game

Top Bottom