• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge previews 40 hours of Final Fantasy XV

SaniOYOYOY

I wonder if any of the developers of XV go into forums like these and read the comments? I wonder what they're thinking right now?

Some of them do I think. Tabby even said in an interview (forget which) that he likes to take input from audiences but not from places where they can express their opinion without consequences
lul
. The way I interpret this is Tabby prefer stuff like face to face conversation, big reviewer site, feedback ala episode duscae , etc then some anonymous from various forums or comments section that can express their opinion as they want

Do please link me the interview if you can find. Much appreciate

I wonder if any of the developers of XV go into forums like these and read the comments? I wonder what they're thinking right now?

5527fC8.jpg

I'm trying to not get spoiled, but if FFXV is indeed linear in it's second half that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. As long as the narrative is strong I won't mind. The implied stealth is worrisome but I'll see when I actually played it.

One of the many problems I had with FF13 wasn't just it's linearity it was also the dreadful story and characters. I just have never gotten that same feeling following FFXV.
I could have sworn SE mentioned that the later part of the game is linear. I'm glad otherwise I'd never finish the game lol

Who would say that the most critical review magazine from the market would be the one getting the biggest preview yet. At least that shows that Square have confidence in their product. I hope the game is really good.

If he didn't play the whole game then he got pretty far through:

Edge said:
Late in the game, a network of cramped corridors, stockrooms and baffling barracks feels like a hangover from another game entirely.

Sounds like a reverse FFXIII, open at the beginning, linear at the end?

Sigh... Reposting for new page because it seems people haven't played XIII...

Just jumping in real quick about specific statements that keep bugging me.

"The reverse of XIII."

This statement is a complete logical fallacy. XIII was linear all the way through. And to be quite frank it wasn't the reason people disliked the game. Though, admittedly, it didn't help its cause. XIII had an open space 24 hours into the game that bottle-necked back into a linear second half.

FFXV has a large open world from go and doesn't become "linear" until much later in the game. Even then, as stated in the article, you can return to the open world at any point after you enter the more linear part of the game.

LordKasual

Banned
I haven't followed these last two threads at all, but in case you haven't seen it already:

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HRlvGP7.png[/IMG]

Alright, nothing is making sense anymore. This is so vague, i'm starting to think it was on purpose.

Did they beat the game or not? Did they play the full version? Why the shit would they put "by its conclusion" if they didn't beat the game?

Too much conflicting information, too many people injecting their own thoughts, too little clarity

wmlk

If he didn't play the whole game then he got pretty far through:

It's frustrating how vague this is. How does it feel like it's from another game altogether? A location could be full of corridors and be just fine, especially since they're making this area sound like some kind of factory.

It's frustrating how vague this is. How does it feel like it's from another game altogether? A location could be full of corridors and be just fine, especially since they're making this area sound like some kind of factory.
Sounds to me like a military base that is locked with security level key cards. Pretty much MGSV.

FFXV 2nd half confirmed to be MGSV 3rd chapter.

jett

D-Member
lol the official ff15 twitter account seems rather aggressive. They didn't think it through giving Edge this kind of access. I guess they're used to the "previews" from IGN, Gamespot and such others.

True Fire

Am I the only one who thinks this preview is amazing news?

- They defeated the concept of a "point of no return," which is the worst part of story based open world games. Gamers can do whatever they want, at their own pace. This neutralizes the damage done from the two distinct halves of the game.

- The game completely reinvents itself in its second half, which very few games actually do. It sounds more Taro Yoko than Final Fantasy, but the mashup of genres will keep the game from feeling stale.

- We've seen very little of this game, if this preview isn't exaggerating the extent of the second half.

Sounds to me like a military base that is locked with security level key cards. Pretty much MGSV.

FFXV 2nd half confirmed to be MGSV 3rd chapter.

>FFXV launch day
>Reviews say it feels like a continuation of something else
>IGN does a live interview with Tabata minutes before the release
>Tabata has his face covered with bandages after an earlier accident
>FFXV gameplay is played on the background
>White whale appears
>Tabata says it's based on Moby Dick
>He says he can't hold it anymore
>He removes his bandages
>Tabata was Hideo Kojima all along
>Kojima says "Did you rike it?"

Mcdohl

I still don't get this fascination with open world games. It's been done to death at this point.

It's can be very entertaining to explore virtual worlds, and, pardon the buzzword, it's really immersive.

I love exploration in video games, that's why I love maps in FFXI, FFXII, FFXIV and a ton of open world games such as GTA, TES, Fallout, etc.

The challenge of open world games is ensuring the balance between a not boring/empty world and not filling it with shit that kills the immersion.

I'm not saying games should all go open world, certainly not, just directly answering your post.

TL;DR: People love the joy of exploring virtual worlds.

So I tweeted the reviewer, Simon Parkin and he was kind enough to respond. I told him his criticisms were causing stress on GAF and asked how far through he got - here is the response:
9BBiqsSb.png

wmlk

Am I the only one who thinks this preview is amazing news?

- They defeated the concept of a "point of no return," which is the worst part of story based open world games. Gamers can do whatever they want, at their own pace. This neutralizes the damage done from the two distinct halves of the game.

- The game completely reinvents itself in its second half, which very few games actually do. It sounds more Taro Yoko than Final Fantasy, but the mashup of genres will keep the game from feeling stale.

- We've seen very little of this game, if this preview isn't exaggerating the extent of the second half.

The second half itself sound amazing. That spoilered bit in the OP sounds so, so good to me. Like someone mentioned, it could be a sneaking mission like going into Viper Manor in Chrono Cross but now you're in the factory of the Niflheim empire.

I guess the main thing draws concerns to me is how it will connect to the first half of the game. Apparently you can't customize weapons afterwards or something? Stuff like that is a big omission.

Just jumping in real quick about specific statements that keep bugging me.

"The reverse of XIII."

This statement is a complete logical fallacy. XIII was linear all the way through. And to be quite frank it wasn't the reason people disliked the game. Though, admittedly, it didn't help its cause. XIII had an open space 24 hours into the game that bottle-necked back into a linear second half.

FFXV has a large open world from go and doesn't become "linear" until much later in the game. Even then, as stated in the article, you can return to the open world at any point after you enter the more linear part of the game.

This so much - the comparison with FF13 is too far stretched and doesn't make sense in any way if you compare these two games

Mcdohl

So I tweeted the reviewer, Simon Parkin and he was kind enough to respond. I told him his criticisms were causing stress on GAF and asked how far through he got - here is the response:
9BBiqsSb.png

Normally I would say the ending should clarify all the confusion the plot generated on the reviewer, nevertheless, after the XIII saga, who knows?

Burbeting

Banned
Lot of people need to get off this thread and cool off. No reason to get so heated over a video game.

9BBiqsSb.png

Interesting. So either Square was lying, or some content was cut from that preview?

//Edit the wording could imply that the ending cut-scenes themselves were cut.

semiconscious

Gold Member
9BBiqsSb.png

okay, now it's your turn, squeenix :) ...

Normally I would say the ending should clarify all the confusion the plot generated on the reviewer, nevertheless, after the XIII saga, who knows?

:) ...

silva1991

9BBiqsSb.png

Well, there it is. Maybe some side quests are the things were cut from his build :p

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
9BBiqsSb.png

The biggest rollercoaster in gaming in 2016.

9BBiqsSb.png
Something is going on. Something mysterious and unknown. Almost like, someone is lying or something was taken from the game.

Or its all such a lust for controversy.

Deadbeat

Banned
You cant judge how good a game is in the first 40 hours. Previews like this are unfair and send a dangerous message to consumers.

Interesting. So either Square was lying, or some content was cut from that preview?

//Edit the wording could imply that the ending cut-scenes themselves were cut.
If you get all the way to the final fight, and are missing either a final over the top form, ending cutscene, ending credits, or post-ending cutscene, then that technically doesn't fall within the boundaries of playing to until the "end."

The vague wording really isn't helping anyone.

Burbeting

Banned
Y'all need some DOOM in your life. Go rip and tear some demons.

I'm playing Salt & Sanctuary myself, it's very good.

--

I do agree that comparing to FF13 is not really fair. 13 is definitely very linear throughout the game, outside few extra areas you can access to from the Archylte Steppe.

DrBretto

Banned
Well, there it is.

To be fair, there it was when SE made their tweet. Nothing's settled yet, lol.

The only way neither party is outright lying at this point is if the Edge writer genuinely thought he was on the final boss but was mistaken. Otherwise, someone somewhere is lying.

Nya

I am starting to think this is some sort of a stunt or something because this just isn't right, why would either of them lie it seems like it's a very dumb thing to do =/

Sagely

If you get all the way to the final fight, and are missing either a final over the top form, ending cutscene, ending credits, or post-ending cutscene, then that technically doesn't fall within the boundaries of playing to until the "end."

The vague wording really isn't helping anyone.
Exactly, the reply is carefully worded not to confirm that he actually finished the final fight. Like you say it's not helping.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The Edge writer is almost certainly saying he played the full main story. I'm not seeing much room for interpretation with this one.

I continue to doubt anything was cut.

Joqu

To be fair, there it was when SE made their tweet. Nothing's settled yet, lol.

The only way neither party is outright lying at this point is if the Edge writer genuinely thought he was on the final boss but was mistaken. Otherwise, someone somewhere is lying.

It's quite bizarre really. I don't see what SE has to gain from lying about this, and I'd be surprised if the Edge writer made such a mistake (but then again I'm hearing they listed PC as a platform? argh)

Top Bottom