• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge previews 40 hours of Final Fantasy XV

Ray Down

Banned
Who you'll believe : professionnal press, with more than 30 years of experience, or some random PR on a social media account ?

But why post if if Edge could prove they did it just be a bad PR move when normally you wouldn't comment.

Just seems weird.

Breakage

Sounds like a game where several different visions have been awkwardly stiched together. MGS4 comes to mind.
And this game is supposed to restore the series' reputation? Don't see it happening.

[re XII]

And a lot of people didn't like it when it came out. These things are fluid.

Just what I was thinking. A lot of the complaints about XII initially were things like: the story feeling disjointed/under-served in the latter half of the game, the design of the game feeling bolted together in the back half.

The quality of the world and exploration helped carry the game though.

There may be a strong parallel between XII and XV when all is said and done.

pablito

Didn't we get confirmation about the linearity a while back?

Weren't we hyped up just yesterday off a few seconds of setpieces from a commercial? Linear games usually have the setpieces, right.

And now we're worried after getting confirmation of the linearity we were already told about?

Can't keep up with this lol.

Kaizer

Banned
The 2nd half of the game being linear sounds exactly like The Witcher 3 to me - or at least in part the way I played The Witcher 3 & open world games in general. I feel like there always comes a point in open world games where you can begin to get bored or exhausted at the side content they offer & when that happens, usually after advancing the main plot quite a bit, I'm ready to make a beeline for the ending & wrap up the gameplay experience before my opinion sours on the game.

So if FFXV has larger open world style beginning with a more concise latter half, that's cool with me. Nothing in this preview sounds surprising otherwise, anybody who wasn't expecting this game to be divisive or receive lots of 7/10s was living in a dream. I'm still really excited for the game, but I've always know it was going to be a mixed bag.

Z3M0G

Wait wait wait wait wait
Have I read this correctly ?

You can't visit the world in the second half of the game, unless you go back to some sort of corridor of time, which teleports you to the past ?

Oh ok this is great. I always assumed that the "switch" happens when it
jumps ahead in time and everyone is older, cutting you off from the rest of the world
, so I'm glad you can still do this!

Really people? We knew for MONTHS about the game going linear at a point...

Kouriozan

Actually, this somehow reminds me of FF8 but with the Ultimecia castle being a big part of the game with meaty story/cutscene.
But unlike FF8, you can go back if you want, you're not stuck.
Welp, FFXV Twitter account says they haven't given Edge the full game, I don't know who to believe, lol.
R2Rr7

That damage control was really unnecessary.

I guess I'm one of those rare breeds that don't mind stealth sections on non-stealth games. It can be a nice change of pace and add to the atmosphere of the place if well done. Like, the first Viper Manor visit in Chrono Cross is a stealth segment and it's one of my favorite sections of the game, really cool and atmospheric. A few of them are annoying and add nothing to the game (Majora's Mask comes to mind) but they're usually not as bad as people say.

THIS! There has been stealth aspects in a LOT of old school Square RPGs. One I recall was when you were on the Blackbird in CT and had to sneak around to get your weapons and equipment back. Talk about keycards and sneaking around also give me FFVII Shinra HQ flashbacks. This is one of the reasons I didn't mind the "sneak behind Deadeye" portion of Episode Duscae. It reminded me of that sort of thing. I love it when RPGs do so much more than be JUST an RPG. As someone said, FFVII did a lot of shit during the course of the adventure than wasn't just JRPG-adventuring.

LowParry

Weren't we hyped up just yesterday off a few seconds of setpieces from a commercial? Linear games usually have the setpieces, right.

And now we're worried after getting confirmation of the linearity we were already told about?

GQ8NQH2.gif

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm not going to quote my big giant post from a couple of pages back as that would probably appear unintentionally narcissistic, but I want to reiterate that the reason people are flipping over the stealth gig is that there's some probable misinterpretation at play here -- some folks are thinking that's the entire back "half" of the game when it is very likely just an example of the eccentricities as you delve further in. At most I'd wager it's a chapter's worth of content.

Lol this sums it up nicely

August-bomba ,trash,broken(it kinda was), lol delay this is never coming out

September-Holy shit the improvements delay well worth it, whaaa why is this character blank blank what happened omg story seems cool.
Linear later I'm the second half?! "Lol bomba" "they ran out of budget"

October-Glowing previews of positivity,eurogamer 1 hour video hype,Combat praise,character interaction praise, reserve on story,camera bad.

November-last stretch. Now here we are with edge.

It's a ride alright

LordKano

Oh ok this is great. I always assumed that the "switch" happens when it
jumps ahead in time and everyone is older, cutting you off from the rest of the world
, so I'm glad you can still do this!

Really people? We knew for MONTHS about the game going linear at a point...

I expected that the second part was made of more linear parts but still located in the usual open world, not that
you would get teleported to a linear world in itself

I really don't like this choice. They can't even keep their promise of an open world the whole game.

There was no way that I wasn't going to play this regardless.. will be interested to see where the other outlets fall in their opinions on the game.

Gbraga

The fact that alt costumes being weaker than the main costume has a good logical reason, though. The default costumes are official battle fatigues, while the alts seem to be more casual wear. It makes total sense.

Also, lest we not forget that Bloodborne had a ton of alternate costumes that were equal, or worse than the main hunter garb. The reason being, they were more for fashion, as well as their negative stat protection. It could be a similar situation here. Perhaps one outfit is better against fire, while another is better against ice. You just can't say for sure without going in-depth.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. And except for frenzy resistance, it never really mattered anyway. You just choose whatever you think looks cool, and that's what I'll be doing in FFXV, even if there are huge stat differences.

Yeah, that was something I didn't want to know.

People here read every little detail about a game and get surprised when some of us consider a huge plot detail a big spoiler.

Don't worry, it doesn't seem to be one, I think he misinterpreted it. The game calls it "going back in time", but it's probably just a silly excuse for the open world being static and not reacting to the plot changes. After all, it's a story about the Plague of the Stars and the two biggest nations at war, it'd be very jarring to see no one giving a shit and just business as usual when you go back to the first area near the end of the game. As well as possible changes in the party being reverted. For example, what if a party member dies? This is basically saying you won't be without your team mate for the end-game hunts. The game will just say TIME TRAVEL WOOO and everything will be back to normal.

You can be fighting the Emperor, and the next time you hit some save point or whatever you just teleport back to the second area to ride chocobos and hunt something, the idea is to give the player an excuse for that to not be completely against the plot.

The linear segment doesn't sound like a "second half", plus wasn't this already reiterated by Tabata?

More like "end game". Like I'm not expecting the linear segment to be as lengthy as the open world.

Also I like tone shifts so the end game sounds interesting to me. Especially the horror comments. As long as it's not poorly designed I'll probably like it. The stealth doesn't bother me as this is an RPG...you have the option to fight head on. Not to mention, we saw stealth in that military base video a while ago, so it's not coming out of nowhere.

Plus if the conclusion is strong then great. I'll judge the rest of the story myself...you know just because one person said the story's not that strong doesn't mean everyone will share that same opinion.

Chill.

I think the game does get more linear for the second half, and what Tabata said later was just damage control because he was seeing some people reacting to that with "so it's a reverse FFXIII?", when that's not what he meant by linear at all. But since people were already considering linear to mean that, he then said that it only gets linear close to the end. So, in other words, the last stretch of the game (possibly from a little before Chapter 0 up until the end of the game) will be FFXIII levels o linear, everything else will be more open, but the second half is still "linear" by reasonable people's standards of what linear means.

Blame Edge (and certain other people) for being so negative.

THIS! There has been stealth aspects in a LOT of old school Square RPGs. One I recall was when you were on the Blackbird in CT and had to sneak around to get your weapons and equipment back. Talk about keycards and sneaking around also give me FFVII Shinra HQ flashbacks. This is one of the reasons I didn't mind the "sneak behind Deadeye" portion of Episode Duscae. It reminded me of that sort of thing. I love it when RPGs do so much more than be JUST an RPG. As someone said, FFVII did a lot of shit during the course of the adventure than wasn't just JRPG-adventuring.

Also Locke's crossing of South Figaro in FFVI. That part was great and memorable.

VII was such a weird hotchpotch. But there was a strange continuity whereby somehow all the weird and disjointed parts came together into a reasonably coherent and memorable adventure. While I doubt XV will quite pull something similar off, I'm excited that they're experimenting with gameplay and gameflow after the homogeneity of world and game design within both XII and XIII.

I'm fine with linearity, but making it like some warehouses, with stealth and horror elements? That sounds fucking awful.

Ploid 3.0

at least we still have FFVII Remake coming .. that can't be bad. it can't..
it can't

I already gave up on that. What I'm really looking forward to is FF12 remastered. Especially if they leak that it's coming to PC too.

I'm most likely just going to get WoFF even though it seems like it gets too easy late game while I wait on extensive facts about how FF15 turns out for multiple plays, single complete plays, just 100% info on how good it is after letting the hype of a Final Fantasy named game released has worn off.

DPtheGod

Yes, this is also a fair point. They have doubtless missed a ton of side content. You could even say that it's possible this writer has missed some important things that flesh out the mechanics that have been criticized. It is important to wait for more finalized comments about these things before jumping to conclusions.

Eh, don't really care. Still gonna get it and play the hell out of it.

Agreed on both counts.

SHOULD I READ IT? OMG

I read it fuck it. It's pretty hype from a gameplay perspective and a nice Change do it!

Are you guys referring to the Edge article in question for the thread?

I honestly don't really care if Edge's previewer didn't like some things about the game. I remember during E3 everyone was like "Fuck FFXV!" after the Microsoft press conference, but then during the ATR's that followed for the next few days of E3 the rollercoaster skyrocketed to the highs again.

The problem with FFXV is so many people (including journalists) have made it out to be this colossal, important title that is expected to be the best thing ever and so expectations, in general, are through the roof for this game. I'm hoping it's a good game myself, because it would suck to have a No Man's Sky situation all over again. But, as a longtime fan of the series, I'm going to give this game a chance from my own perspective, and not judge it based on some other guy's opinion.

KooopaKid

Banned
FFVII is what made me love Final Fantasy, but everything after that has been a disappointment. Every subsequent episodes had at meast a really flawed area.
It's not FFXV that is going to make me interested in FF again:
- Similar looking protagonists, all dressed in black, looking like J-pop stars.
- No female or original character in your party.
- Open-world looking dull and empty. The landscapes don't look magical or fantastical.
- Too grounded in reality
- Combat system looks like a mess, at least visually. Probably brainless too.
- Long, boring driving/walking sections.
- The story doesn't seem intriguing/mysterious/spiritual.
- I could go on...

Oh boy, that second part sounds terrible.
I'm glad I'm indifferent towards the game since it was renamed to XV because I'm pretty sure I'd be very disappointed in the end.

Gbraga

So, a part of the late game content changes mood and adds not only horror elements but stealth elements? How is this a problem? Square has injected these sorts of things in their RPGS since the SNES days. It doesn't seem like the entirety of the late game will be made up of this, just a section, which isn't too bad. Late game linearity is more of an issue, though a lot of JRPGs tend to go "event cluster" where you are whisked from event to event only to take the reins sometime after all those have been completed.

Did this person writing the article actually FINISH the game? I'm confused too, because going in depth regarding late game content tends to be reserved for reviews, not previews.

You know, this made me think of something. You know what other game
suddenly becomes Resident Evil?
Nier.

Just saying.

Yes I'm in full fanboy mode now, if this game sucks I'll be so sad.

Z3M0G

I expected that the second part was made of more linear parts but still located in the usual open world, not that
you would get teleported to a linear world in itself

I really don't like this choice. They can't even keep their promise of an open world the whole game.

When did they promise that?

I do agree that is is being advertised as an open-world game, though... but honestly, if you can still "travel" back to it... sounds like at your leisure as well... I don't see a problem. And I would say that keeps it an "open world for the entire game", IMO.

I think people are making too much of these impressions from someone who is upset that they encountered a stealth section dungeon in an RPG.

DrBretto

Banned
Man, I hate to say it, but I do totally get a kick of the emotional roller coaster rides every time something comes out, lol. It doesn't take long for anything to end up looking like the end of the world if you go by a few people's impressions XD.

Next few weeks are gonna be CHAOS! lol

Guys, the entire second part won't be a stealth section. Lol
I'm imagining town visits being strung together by train rides and cutscenes with no moving forward or backward until the story dictates. No biggie.

With maybe Noctis dream states allowing for revisits to the early game content.

Guys, the entire second part won't be a stealth section. Lol

What? In the last 30 minutes since I "found out" that the entire second half would be a stealth section I became extremely invested in just such a design.

If indeed the entire second half is NOT a stealth section?

Preorder canceled.

But seriously, in a 50 hour + game, people think there's going to be 25 hours + of Noct solo sneaking around?

pablito

I'm fine with linearity, but making it like some warehouses or office buildings, with stealth and horror elements? That sounds fucking awful.

I mean...I just don't think the entire linear section of the game is going to be stealth and horror. Could be wrong, but I just don't see it happening. Also remains to be seen if stealth will be necessary. Like the missions where you infiltrate bases, stealth isn't required.

I don't care for jump scares, but I'm all for some horror being in the game. Stealth and horror makes me think back to infiltrating Shinra HQ. I loved that part of FF7, and it's one of the things I'm really looking forward to in the remake.

Neiteio

From the sounds of it, seems like an interesting structure to maintain a sense of momentum/urgency with the plot.
Since you can time-travel back to the open world, you still have access to all its quests and presumably your party, but in the linear future, the plot plays out rapidly on rails, hurtling toward its conclusion.
I'm also intrigued by the apparent introduction of
stealth and survival horror
elements to mix it up.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Look, all I'm saying is, I'm supposed to be doing work at this coffeehouse but instead I'm pouring my heart and soul into this up-river down-river thread. I began to question this act until "Stand By Me" started playing on the local radio.

Now it's perfect.

In before much more proper full reviews drop in the next two weeks and we get a flood of "this looks amazing pre-order confirmed".

Straight up whiplash around here.

LordKano

What promise?

I do agree that is is being advertised as an open-world game, though... but honestly, if you can still "travel" back to it... sounds like at your leisure as well... I don't see a problem.

It's not open world the whole time. During the second part (and since it's called a "second part" I expect it to be quite long) you cannot explore the world as you would have wished for, you need to go back to a mandatory point.
It's like if in Ocarina of Time, once you're adult you cannot go anywhere else than the different temple, and to explore the rest of the world you need to came back as a kid.

theofficefan99

FFXVEN's tweet has me confused.

Perhaps they meant "We didn't, don't worry" in the sense that they played an older build, but it was still the full game. It wouldn't make sense for Edge to fabricate something like this.

Who you'll believe : professionnal press, with more than 30 years of experience, or some random PR on a social media account ?

The account is verified, so...

I went from cancelling my ultimate edition to settling for the deluxe edition. Just cancelled that and settling for the standard edition.

I will play this game. No doubt about it. But my perceived value of this Frankenstein of a game has dropped CONSIDERABLY over time.

Top Bottom