• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Why "increasingly frustrated journalists" need MS to reveal its new Xbox

only journalists and hedonic gerbils care about this though. the rest of us still don't have enough time to play through the games we already own.

No one seems to pay attention to that last sentence from EDGE.

"Durango exists and it's not the disaster it sounds"

The way i'm interpreting it, it's not just a generic wish that "Microsoft comes up and randomly say something positive".
It's "we know that Durango is not as bad as it's sounding on internet these days, but we are not allowed to say anything which frustrates us".

Anyway; i don't see how this could be hurting Microsoft anyway.
Well, maybe PS4 preorders, but i doubt they are relevant.
When they announce the console it's either going to be:

a) "well, fuck, we worried for nothing, Durango doesn't "block used games/require internet/isn't considerably less powerful than PS4/too expensive" etc.
Durango is awesome, i was an idiot to believe internet leaks and rumors !

OR

b) Well, rumors were true. Durango sucks. But it's not like months of speculation and bad rumors made the situation any worse for Microsoft; people would have drawn the same conclusion after the announcement anyway.

LOL to refer to it as a disaster is pretty bad PR.

sinseers

Hopefully it's something real, and not the usual hubris.

QL8VITa.jpg

hubris just got added to my list of words that should die at the end of 2013.....

Basch

You're forgetting that a lot of people haven't even heard that there's going to be a new Xbox, including people who would be very likely to buy one. "My Friends" is not a really great sample size.

Do I think that word of mouth about the internet does have an effect? Yeah, absolutely. However, there's always these posts that are like "Man look at all the flak microsoft is getting on our internet forum! I bet they're reconsidering the whole thing! The next Xbox will absolutely fail now!". It's silly and myopic. People on GAF get outraged at Call of Duty shit all the time, but that series keeps on selling. And if GAF outrage was the factor some people think it is, EA wouldn't even be in business. I think the discussion accumulates over time and has an impact, but it's not the immediate "oh shit" impact people think it is.

I think "Always Online Required" is not something that immediately jumps out as a problem to many people. It has to be explained. You would also have to be reading about its features to care, which is another limiting factor to the amount of people who would care. Most people don't even read about this stuff before buying. This isn't ignorant or stupid behavior. It's just normal. Not everyone obsesses over this stuff like forums and the press. Did you know that the newest line of Nike shoes aren't made with the same high quality stitching that they used to? No, you didn't, because you're not a connoisseur of shoes. I bet the Nike forums are going apeshit though.

Understandable, but my friends actually know more about the issue than even I do, and they're typically the people you're referring to in this post. The ones that don't pay attention to much of the gaming industry (only care about COD, etc), they're the ones who usually ask me about everything. And even they heard about the feature. I actually could give a crap. I'll probably buy one of their systems if the games are enticing enough.

Steam doesn't have always on elements, it's on when it needs to be. To download a game or play online or talk to friends, like duh.

If you think that's always on in any way then so is gog, where you just go to download your game and never think of them again if you don't want to.

Something is either always on or it isn't, it's not partially always on just because some things are network based.

And yes, we know people use Netflix to stream movies online and play MMORPGs to play multiplayer online. Of course online is needed for that, it can't be magic that does it. Without online those can't exist.

People don't want the requirements of such services that need them for obvious practical reasons enforced on everything they may want to do on a console. You can play a single player game when the MMORPG servers are down, or watch a Bluray/DVD/downloaded movie when Netflix is (or your connection is down or used for other things) while if the whole system is always on, unlike Steam, you're locked out of every action based on that.

This sums up the whole thing. I'm baffled to see people comparing Always Online to Netflix. May as well compare it to youtube. And, yes, if I want to play against someone over the internet it's going to have to be online for that. That goes without saying.

hubris just got added to my list of words that should die at the end of 2013.....

Oh, that's nice ;_;

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Once it's revealed, nobody will care that they waited.

Hell, the longer MS waits at this point and reads as much on PS4 talk the better.

OUT FOX EM

Neo Member
I hope while they're demoing it onstage at E3 the wifi shits out and the connection troubleshooter pops up. I would fucking die.

GavinGT

Banned
Any other anti-Xbox threads we can bump to the top today?

If I had any impulse control, I'd stay out of these threads until the official announcement is made.

Top Bottom