• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Why "increasingly frustrated journalists" need MS to reveal its new Xbox

Wiktor

Personally I think MS knows that they have diseaster on their hands and are just trying to buy off sometime in attempt to change something.

A transparent ploy to put pressure on MS to release information.

I mean, they seem confident they can come out of the gate explosively. That bodes well for all gamers, if they buy it or not. But MS's handling of Windows and Office recently points to a very different company philosophy than a few years ago. That's what I'm worried about. Not the silence.

How are they going to deny rumours about a console that doesn't exist?

what console doesnt excist ? everyone and his grandmother know that there is a new xbox in development.

and when there is a negative shit around your new mega product that you didnt annouce yet, you sure as hell will try to stop it.

unless the system really is always online and no used games. then they cant deny it. they are just waiting to try and blow you away with the content they have.

MS issued an apology regarding the always online comment made by a director which is about the nexbox. yet. they didnt deny the rumor it self. go figure.

i swear what a bunch of idiot tards, i hope the console backfire on their ass if the rumors are true. then, they issue an apology, and cancel the always online / no used games. and tell the people that they are a fucked up morons. and many of them get fired for even suggesting it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They just want a hard hitting story to spur some hits. Microsoft aint gonna base mainstream marketing campaigns/reveals and such on the desires of a few comparatively niche outlets.

How do they know it's not the disaster some think or whatever if they claim they've yet to see it in the same sentence? That's like, a bit of ass kissing to go with their demands.

Any of the rumors this guy thinks affect potential customers, once they show it on so called news shows and the presenters talk about how awesome it is, won't matter.

Shaneus

what console doesnt excist ? everyone and his grandmother know that there is a new xbox in development.

and when there is a negative shit around your new mega product that you didnt annouce yet, you sure as hell will try to stop it.

unless the system really is always online and no used games. then they cant deny it. they are just waiting to try and blow you away with the content they have.

MS issued an apology regarding the always online comment made by a director which is about the nexbox. yet. they didnt deny the rumor it self. go figure.

i swear what a bunch of idiot tards, i hope the console backfire on their ass if the rumors are true. then, they issue an apology, and cancel the always online / no used games. and tell the people that they are a fucked up morons. and many of them get fired for even suggesting it.
f8dsEtB.jpg

Because they think they can simply force their way through. They might realizing how wrong they were

What gives you that impression? Do you work or know people that work at Microsoft? The rumours about the system have been underwhelming to me, however and don't take this personally, a blanket statement treated as absolute is bullshit to me.

I just wish they would announce it, get it over with and we can all hate it/love it/ buy it/take a shit on it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I think MS knows that they have diseaster on their hands and are just trying to buy off sometime in attempt to change something.

It's like console fan fiction at this point...

I like how the story has developed so much that people are now coming up with reasons for the non existing console having a feature based on a rumour.

(btw I don't mean to pick on you, AdrianWerner. Yours was just the last post I noticed.)

waypoetic

Banned
It's so fricking ridiculous that DICE isn't talking about the PS4. A handfull of devs are talking about the console but DICE are all tight lipped. Didn't they get the memo? :)

eastmen

Banned
At the end of the day ... Netflix / hulu .... allways on. Steam has elements of being always online and requires me to establish a conection after awhile on my laptop. I've played a slew of allways on games also . Hell I've been playing mmorpgs for almost 2 decades.

So looking at all the always on stuff I use each day and all the good experiances I don't get upset. Sure there are bad experiences (diablo 3 / sim city) but plenty of good.

Bert

No one will care overall, once the consoles are out it'll come down to which is the best proposition. I seem to remember the Internet being pretty hostile to a few consoles that did OK in the long run. Not that I want that to be the case here. If it has always online DRM or a block on used games I hope it fails, same goes for PS4 or any other platform

JimiNutz

Banned
Surely building a bunch of negative rumours could actually be a good thing... so long as those rumours then prove to be false.

At this point the overwhelming majority of rumours about the next Xbox have been nothing but negative to the point where my expectations are extremely low.

If the console is revealed and it turns out that actually it doesn't have to always be online, there is a used game system, there is backwards compatibility (at least for XBLA games), and it will be just as powerful (if not more powerful than the PS4), it could turn out to be a very clever marketing ploy.

One minute everyone thinks that the next xbox is going to be a disaster, then suddenly it turns out that we were all wrong and it’s going to be the best console ever? If everyone goes in with low expectations surely MS have an easier job of then impressing? Everyone blows a collective sigh of relief and instead the fear turns into excitement?

Or maybe MS just have no idea what they’re doing and the next xbox will be a complete disaster. Maybe they have arrogantly forged ahead with a plan and only now (post PS4 reveal) do they realise what a terrible mistake they’ve made? If that’s the case then I would probably keep my product under wraps for as long as possible too… like a movie that the studio knows is garbage so they stop critics reviewing it until it’s out there in the public. Damage limitation.

Either scenario is possible I guess.

Takuya

Banned
That's hardly debunking a rumour. Did Sony respond to the 'no used games' rumour before the console was announced? Or, to add to that, any other circulated rumour about the PS4?
No, because there were almost no bad rumors about it.

Surely building a bunch of negative rumours could actually be a good thing... so long as those rumours then prove to be false.

At this point the overwhelming majority of rumours about the next Xbox have been nothing but negative to the point where my expectations are extremely low.

If the console is revealed and it turns out that actually it doesn't have to always be online, there is a used game system, there is backwards compatibility (at least for XBLA games), and it will be just as powerful (if not more powerful than the PS4), it could turn out to be a very clever marketing ploy.

One minute everyone thinks that the next xbox is going to be a disaster, then suddenly it turns out that we were all wrong and it’s going to be the best console ever? If everyone goes in with low expectations surely MS have an easier job of then impressing? Everyone blows a collective sigh of relief and instead the fear turns into excitement?

Or maybe MS just have no idea what they’re doing and the next xbox will be a complete disaster. Maybe they have arrogantly forged ahead with a plan and only now (post PS4 reveal) do they realise what a terrible mistake they’ve made? If that’s the case then I would probably keep my product under wraps for as long as possible too… like a movie that the studio knows is garbage so they stop critics reviewing it until it’s out there in the public. Damage limitation.

One of your scenarios needs MS to have sent false information to devs and publishers of games for their console.

MasLegio

Banned
OrthGate is the first time I've ever thought MS needs to hurry up and start their marketing and promotion train, even if its just for the announcement.

Rumours are rumours and never matter until the actual final product comes out, but a gaffe of that sort and the mainstream media looking on now is making this especially a bad look.

But then I think, the May announcement is actually beneficial for them because it lets OrthGate cool down a bit. And by then people will be presumably starved for leaks again.

At this point, pretty sure everyone is just fed up with the rumours and wants the shit announced so we know how the DRM works and where to direct our hate if it is indeed a shitty solution to a non-issue.

they need the time to "educate" the gaming press in how to spin its features into something good

I personally think always online provides few tangible benefits to the consumer and mostly negatively impacts the experience. Certainly my experience with Diablo 3 was wholly negative. Minds you this fits in with my experience with MS software products for the last few years. More restrictive user options and if anything less intuitive. Surely giving the consumer the choice to users is more progressive? This strategy seems regressive at the current time. Infrastructure just in there in many parts of the world, including much of the UK. Where the internet is still pretty crap.

Dunlop

They just want a hard hitting story to spur some hits

pretty much, seeing how they were on of the first sites to pass out the Durango rumors..which I am sure generated a ton of hits

MS will stick to their plan, PS4 has been unveiled and yet yesterday probably 30% of the threads on the main page here were about Durango

They have everyone's attention for when the finally do the unveiling

Joe White

What is truly troubling is that it seems like Microsoft has purposely kept some devs out of the loop. I find that bizarre.

There is nothing bizarre in it, it's just easier to show total ignorance when discussion/questions goes into the NDA territory then trying to be clever, give indirect answers or actually, participate in any way. Because even little obscure hints tend to end up as news on multiple sites.

saladine1

Serious question..

Has MS ever done something like this before?
In fact, has any major corp pulled a stunt like that before?

Where a company intentionally puts out misleading or false negative rumors about a future product only to 'surprise' people with something totally opposite and positive?

Shaneus

Serious question..

Has MS ever done something like this before?
In fact, has any major corp pulled a stunt like that before?

Where a company intentionally puts out misleading or false negative rumors about a future product only to 'surprise' people with something totally opposite and positive?
But MS hasn't secretly leaked this rumour at all as far as I can tell. It's all been speculation and one or two very vague statements from developers. May have even stemmed from a Pachter-esque article.

KageMaru

I like how the story has developed so much that people are now coming up with reasons for the non existing console having a feature based on a rumour.

(btw I don't mean to pick on you, AdrianWerner. Yours was just the last post I noticed.)

I've stopped taking these threads serious a long time ago. Many seem more interested in theorizing how the other companies have fucked up even though two of the three systems aren't even out yet.

What is truly troubling is that it seems like Microsoft has purposely kept some devs out of the loop. I find that bizarre.

You don't honestly believe these devs in the OP are clueless on the next xbox, do you?

There are NDAs that restrict you from even talking about the NDA and all content associated.

It's amazing how niave some of you can be and yet you're the one who called an entire install base a bunch of morons...

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I am struggling to see the rational of announcing something before schedule just to write off the negative stories based on rumors.
Heck, why are you even so agitated? Its a hobby that is suppose to entertain you. Stop taking it so seriously. It'll be announced when they are ready.

I am struggling to see the rational of announcing something before schedule just to write off the negative stories based on rumors.
Heck, why are you even so agitated? Its a hobby that is suppose to entertain you. Stop taking it so seriously. It'll be announced when they are ready.

It's RIDICULOUS that people think that Microsoft should act at the BEHEST of an ENTHUSIAST PRESS that cover LUXURY ITEMS.

neptunes

Which developers?
Microsoft has even kept some of their own staff out of the loop.

There was an article at Microsoft stating that those working on Durango are on a need to know basis. If people at Microsoft don't even have a full picture of the system, how would journalists and developers have any more insight?

We'll forget all about this come this fall, most consumers would have made their mind up by then. By then The press will solely focused on which one sells the most out of the gate, since they'll be released fairly close.

KageMaru

Microsoft has even kept some of their own staff out of the loop.

There was an article at Microsoft stating that those working on Durango are on a need to know basis. If people at Microsoft don't even have a full picture of the system, how would journalists and developers have any more insight?

We'll forget all about this come this fall, most consumers would have made their mind up by then. By then The press will solely focused on which one sells the most out of the gate, since they'll be released fairly close.

So because people at MS, who would have no involvement in the xbox development, are clueless about the system, you actually think developers are also clueless?

I don't recall that article stating people working on the xbox are as clueless are you're making them out to be.

Shaneus

I've stopped taking these threads serious a long time ago. Many seem more interested in theorizing how the other companies have fucked up even though two of the three systems aren't even out yet.
Good idea. I'm unsubbing from this thread because I'll probably lose my mind otherwise.

sunnz

I like how the story has developed so much that people are now coming up with reasons for the non existing console having a feature based on rumours.

Fixed, more than "a rumour" when quite a few difference people have said it.

Microsoft's silence is starting to feel a little suspicious in my opinion. What's going on in there? I'm definitely interested in seeing the official reveal.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
At the end of the day ... Netflix / hulu .... allways on. Steam has elements of being always online and requires me to establish a conection after awhile on my laptop. I've played a slew of allways on games also . Hell I've been playing mmorpgs for almost 2 decades.

So looking at all the always on stuff I use each day and all the good experiances I don't get upset. Sure there are bad experiences (diablo 3 / sim city) but plenty of good.
Steam doesn't have always on elements, it's on when it needs to be. To download a game or play online or talk to friends, like duh.

If you think that's always on in any way then so is gog, where you just go to download your game and never think of them again if you don't want to.

Something is either always on or it isn't, it's not partially always on just because some things are network based.

And yes, we know people use Netflix to stream movies online and play MMORPGs to play multiplayer online. Of course online is needed for that, it can't be magic that does it. Without online those can't exist.

People don't want the requirements of such services that need them for obvious practical reasons enforced on everything they may want to do on a console. You can play a single player game when the MMORPG servers are down, or watch a Bluray/DVD/downloaded movie when Netflix is (or your connection is down or used for other things) while if the whole system is always on, unlike Steam, you're locked out of every action based on that.

Basch

Unless Microsoft does a vault and lands a 9.5 or 10 in the reveal, they are going to be shived in the kidneys and liver.

lol Very true. With all this negative press and feedback, you'd think they would dispel all their concerns by announcing the system. The fact that they still haven't could be confirmation that they are in fact incorporating "always online" and are preparing for massive amounts of damage control.

eso76

No one seems to pay attention to that last sentence from EDGE.

"Durango exists and it's not the disaster it sounds"

The way i'm interpreting it, it's not just a generic wish that "Microsoft comes up and randomly say something positive".
It's "we know that Durango is not as bad as it's sounding on internet these days, but we are not allowed to say anything which frustrates us".

Anyway; i don't see how this could be hurting Microsoft anyway.
Well, maybe PS4 preorders, but i doubt they are relevant.
When they announce the console it's either going to be:

a) "well, fuck, we worried for nothing, Durango doesn't "block used games/require internet/isn't considerably less powerful than PS4/too expensive" etc.
Durango is awesome, i was an idiot to believe internet leaks and rumors !

OR

b) Well, rumors were true. Durango sucks. But it's not like months of speculation and bad rumors made the situation any worse for Microsoft; people would have drawn the same conclusion after the announcement anyway.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

The way i'm interpreting it, it's not just a generic wish that "Microsoft comes up and randomly say something positive".
It's "we know that Durango is not as bad as it's sounding on internet these days, but we are not allowed to say anything which frustrates us".
If the rumors do pan out, I think this quote this quote is referring to games and not hardware.

Petrae

When is GAF going to learn that GAF outrage =/= Mass Market outrage.

I think that should be extended to read Internet outrage != Mass Market outrage.

It's possible that a significant number of people who would be interested in the new Xbox don't visit GAF or many gaming sites. They go about their everyday business: Work, school, social life. When MS finally reveals the new platform and talks about the games and services it offers, and then cranks the marketing machine, the threat of "always online" (which I still believe is not the endgame here) and the rumored possibility of no used games won't matter. New Call of Duty? New Madden? Fresh graphics? That's what will hook the mass market.

It's probably for the best that the mass market doesn't care, anyway. We've worked ourselves into a tizzy regarding these rumors and Microsoft's position of silence. The fact is that we know nothing. There's been no confirmation... only trends and conclusions drawn from those trends (such as rumor consistency). We're making up our minds far too soon, without any facts to back it up.

I can see where EDGE and other sites are coming from here, but I don't think it's going to matter in the long run.

Which is why this is such a scummy article and makes me cringe. It's clear that this comes from a selfish place as a journalist (let us release information about your console so that we can get hits or else we'll post nonsense!) rather than an attempt to inform or address their readers' concerns with the console. In other words...video games journalism is shitty. News at 11.

Basch

I don't understand the statements that the outrage is somehow isolated to GAF. Most of my friends don't follow the gaming industry, let alone GAF, and each one have heard about the "always online" feature. Some are outraged while others could give a fuck. Basically it's a lot like this thread. One was pretty angry about it too. So obviously, the press does matter and its affecting its reputation in the general public already.

sinseers

At this point regarding Durango:

Why would I want to buy one?

Dunno...until MS themselves come out with details we pretty much all should be in that boat. Its not like I'm dying for a new console anyway. I'm still playing catchup on games this gen....

Why create a disaster in the first place? Makes no sense

If they could successfully sell Always online to us, they could have a console that solves the piracy and used game problem for developers and be attractive to them. But selling it is the tall order, and the disaster waiting to happen.

sinseers

I'm irritated with it too. We don't live in the age of 'wait and see' anymore. It's 2013, not 2005. People like information. Hell, GTA info is driving me crazy but it is what it is.

No matter how false/true rumors are, the stuff flying around now causes me to be reluctant and only tarnishes a generally positive image that I have of them.

All we can do is wait, but the longer they wait the MORE they will have to offer to win me over. I imagine I am the last person they are interested in though with the recent focus on Kinect.

I remember. I also have realized that the landscape has changed regarding information. Twitter wasn't founded yet, Youtube wasn't even remotely what it is, and Facebook I think was still only for college emails. Things have changed and people are a lot more connected. And there was probably a fraction of the gaming blogs/sites we have now, but that's something I can't find any information on.

I mean, I get it, they love 'dem secrets. But holy shit it if isn't getting annoying for enthusiasts. It's obvious there is a market for this information as a single twitter conversation of about 4 statements turned into a huge media happening. It honestly feels like a Wal-mart door just before opening for Black Friday.

Nintendo waiting so long on the wiiu reveal has conditioned me to be patient when it comes to these things. I'm on cruise control now baby....

Raydeen

Perhaps it's more a case of they are waiting for solid demo builds of Halo 5 and Midnight Madness 4 to demonstrate. Why bother to unveil it if you have shit like the first game that was shown at the PS4 one or the bloke from Square who was their to tell that YES! SQUARE ARE MAKING A FF GAME FOR PS4. NO SHIT!!

Lunar15

I don't understand the statements that the outrage is somehow isolated to GAF. Most of my friends don't follow the gaming industry, let alone GAF, and each one have heard about the "always online" feature. Some are outraged while others could give a fuck. Basically it's a lot like this thread. One was pretty angry about it too. So obviously, the press does matter and its affecting its reputation in the general public already.

You're forgetting that a lot of people haven't even heard that there's going to be a new Xbox, including people who would be very likely to buy one. "My Friends" is not a really great sample size.

Do I think that word of mouth about the internet does have an effect? Yeah, absolutely. However, there's always these posts that are like "Man look at all the flak microsoft is getting on our internet forum! I bet they're reconsidering the whole thing! The next Xbox will absolutely fail now!". It's silly and myopic. People on GAF get outraged at Call of Duty shit all the time, but that series keeps on selling. And if GAF outrage was the factor some people think it is, EA wouldn't even be in business. I think the discussion accumulates over time and has an impact, but it's not the immediate "oh shit" impact people think it is.

I think "Always Online Required" is not something that immediately jumps out as a problem to many people. It has to be explained. You would also have to be reading about its features to care, which is another limiting factor to the amount of people who would care. Most people don't even read about this stuff before buying. This isn't ignorant or stupid behavior. It's just normal. Not everyone obsesses over this stuff like forums and the press. Did you know that the newest line of Nike shoes aren't made with the same high quality stitching that they used to? No, you didn't, because you're not a connoisseur of shoes. I bet the Nike forums are going apeshit though.

eso76

Which is why this is such a scummy article and makes me cringe. It's clear that this comes from a selfish place as a journalist rather than an attempt to inform or address their readers' concerns with the console

Of course. Journalists are certainly not concerned about that.
But I can understand them being frustrated for not being allowed to write about what they might know, especially if their 'truth' is different from the rumors.

Tbh, i also had the impression some of the bad rumors were spread by journalists themselves to lure Microsoft out.
Including Edge (see last month's article compared to this. Almost as if after seeing the negative press had no influence on Microsoft, they tried the opposite approach)

btrboyev

Heaven forbid maybe they want to actually show finalized hardware during their unveiling? The hardware isn't ready to show yet. Remember, that most likely they won't be just showing a console, but also a new Kinect model as well.

Top Bottom