• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring or Bloodborne?

Elden Ring or Bloodborne?

• Elden Ring

Votes: 236 48.2%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 254 51.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

arvfab

Banned

Even weak ass hyperbole pops up a couple people saying it should be on PC (and XBOX!) on this site. Didn't even need to look elsewhere!

Wrong thread linked? I see a lot of bashing in that thread, only comment I've seen talking about PC is this:

God, I hope they’re not wasting Nixxes time porting this trash to PC

Which doesn't really prove your point....

Last edited:

ssringo

Ctrl + F "PC"

Jesus the post above YOUR OWN POST in that thread says it'd be wise to bring it to PC too.

Again: weak ass hyperbole. Let's not act like "port begging" isn't including every Vanillaware game, Bayonetta 2/3, RE7 VR mode, Persona 5, Final Fantasy 16 and the plethora of games that were previously locked to specific hardware.

arvfab

Banned

Ctrl + F "PC"

Jesus the post above YOUR OWN POST in that thread says it'd be wise to bring it to PC too.

Seems you missed the context of the thread...

Nevertheless, let's end this discussion here to not derail the thread any further. You can continue privately if you want.

Ogbert

It's a mixed bag. Of course you got those "Me see exclusive, me vote" guys (no matter if they played it), but on the other hand you have Pc and Xbox guys that vote for ER, because they couldn't play BB or don't like Sony. I wouldn't expect ER to win a landslide victory.
Perhaps.

For the record, I enjoyed BB. Maybe people absolutely adore the Victorian horror aesthetic. That doesn’t work for me so much; I far prefer the purgatory of traditional Souls games. I don’t think anything comes close to the undead burg; greatest zone in gaming history.

And I just can’t go back to the 30 fps. It’s so critical to the souls experience.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Breath of the wild.

nerd GIF

tommib

See guys, our hearts don’t give a shit about 30 fps with shit framepacing, no matter what Digital Foundry tries to indoctrinate us.

Last edited:

skit_data

I have a hard time choosing one over the other.
Bloodborne has such great lore and setting and it feels more focused as an experience.
Elden Ring has build variety and depth, similar to Dark Souls only better.

Edit: If I have to choose I’ll go with Bloodborne. It simply trumps Elden Ring in terms of atmosphere and setting.

Last edited:

tassletine

Where do people get these awful takes?
From playing the game smartarse.

Compared to Bloodborne / Sekiro the Bosses in Elden Ring are a step back and have got a hell of a lot of criticism both here and elsewhere.

So, I would ask which pile of sand have you been sticking your head into? Because these "awful takes" are fucking everywhere.

tassletine

Yup. The amount of whining about Elden Ring's supposed difficulty from the never level vigor crowd is getting ridiculous. And Bloodborne's chalice dungeons are full of reused bosses, yet these clowns somehow think that this is some sort of critical flaw with Elden Ring.
Bloodbornes Chalice dungeons are completely optional.

They also contain bosses that are NOT in the main game.

Spaceman292

Banned
From playing the game smartarse.

Compared to Bloodborne / Sekiro the Bosses in Elden Ring are a step back and have got a hell of a lot of criticism both here and elsewhere.

So, I would ask which pile of sand have you been sticking your head into? Because these "awful takes" are fucking everywhere.
Do you have any actual arguments to support what you said other than 'other people are sayin it tooo so i must be right'

Ni7r

Banned
While Elden Rings bosses deserve critique, it’s massively overblown by now (partly due to influential content creators). The main bosses are pretty fucking good and not worse than the ones in the other base From games. Big M is bullshit but other than that I had a lot of fun fighting all of them with big weapons and without summons. With fights like Mohg they actually reached a new high in terms of the complexity they can go for with simple “roll and slash” bosses because most of his moves require different timings. This leads to a really satisfying learning curve imo. Playing BB immediately after is eye opening as I once thought those bosses are relentless and complex. They are so simple compared to ERs main line up. Also, the spectacle and presentation is off the charts in Elden Ring - Radahn, Rykard, Placidusax. Insanely good.

Even the Fire Giant has grown on me as it challenges you to switch between horseback and on foot very quickly for his evading rolls and some of his attacks (i.e. baiting the explosion of his fire balls). There is some really, really good stuff in there, make no mistake.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
For all of the game’s faults, there’s no more memorable boss fight than Radahn. When he does the thing(s) he does, you fucking know it.

I don’t know another From game that does anything quite like that.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Someone has not played BB i see. #Sad

I played it in 2014 and again last year. It’s not nearly as good as those 3.

Sekiro - better combat and bosses
Ds1 - better level design and lore
Elden Ring - better everything

Bloodborne is on the same level as ds3 to me. Very good game but not something I want to play over and over. Limited build variety.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For all of the game’s faults, there’s no more memorable boss fight than Radahn. When he does the thing(s) he does, you fucking know it.

I don’t know another From game that does anything quite like that.
While mechanically bosses are a step bsck from Sekiro, they are for sure a step forward when it comes to presentation and overall epicness. Radahn, Rennala and Rickard are top tier when it comes to presentation, nothing in their previous games comes close.

Soodanim

Gold Member
While mechanically bosses are a step bsck from Sekiro, they are for sure a step forward when it comes to presentation and overall epicness. Radahn, Rennala and Rickard are top tier when it comes to presentation, nothing in their previous games comes close.
My memory of Rikard is a bit tainted by the easy stun lock I accidentally got him in after I died once, which meant I only had to deal with his later spammy stuff once because I had the victory in the bag after that. But in terms of gimmick bosses, he’s a huge step up from Dragon God and Bed of Chaos. Comparing to temporary powered up weapon bosses, he’s more interesting than Storm King and Yhorm. Then there’s character/lore of the boss, which is also good.

Rennala also reminds me of the Stag bosses, which have a great atmosphere.

Really, ER does have a lot of boss variety, it’s just sometimes overlooked in favour of catacomb repeats and non-boss bosses.

Last edited:

demonstr8

Bloodborne is like one gigantic interconnected masterfully designed game world where things just get better and better until the game ends on the highest note yet. It also has a huge amount of hand crafted chalice dungeons with exclusive bosses and weapons that add to the story once you reach the bottom. That’s before the DLC.

Elden Ring has several masterfully designed legacy dungeons and a large number of good to great caves, catacombs etc and some amazing bosses that are unfortunately overused and kind of all mash together to feel the same because they made the game too long as is the case with literally every open world game. Elden Ring has unparalleled build variety but I miss the trick weapon and firearm combo giving a sort of class to your character. Elden Ring may have DLC we dunno yet.

Bloodborne has much better music than Elden Ring as well. ER being open world made the game so much different to everything else they’ve ever made. I personally like Bloodborne more but Elden Ring is still unmatched by nearly any game but Bloodborne is just this unforgettable thing that you experience in a more surprising fashion.

tommib

Bloodborne is like one gigantic interconnected masterfully designed game world where things just get better and better until the game ends on the highest note yet. It also has a huge amount of hand crafted chalice dungeons with exclusive bosses and weapons that add to the story once you reach the bottom. That’s before the DLC.

Elden Ring has several masterfully designed legacy dungeons and a large number of good to great caves, catacombs etc and some amazing bosses that are unfortunately overused and kind of all mash together to feel the same because they made the game too long as is the case with literally every open world game. Elden Ring has unparalleled build variety but I miss the trick weapon and firearm combo giving a sort of class to your character. Elden Ring may have DLC we dunno yet.

Bloodborne has much better music than Elden Ring as well. ER being open world made the game so much different to everything else they’ve ever made. I personally like Bloodborne more but Elden Ring is still unmatched by nearly any game but Bloodborne is just this unforgettable thing that you experience in a more surprising fashion.
I disagree with one thing here. ER has the best music since Demon’s Souls. The Brian Eno-esque string ambient drones in most levels elevate the game. It’s super classy and gorgeous stuff. The bosses though… it’s what we’ve expected from From Software boss fights. But the ambient music even in the caves/dungeons is top of the game stuff.

Spaceman292

Banned

The catacombs in ER is way more 'hand crafted' than the chalice dungeons.

tommib

A lot of youtubers are critising it right now to get clicks, and a lot of people are parroting their opinions. As always.
Yes, even a friend yesterday sent me a Vice (!) article asking me “is Elden Ring really boring”?

Fasten your seatbelt for incoming cringe.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
You heard it here first, ladies and gentlemen. Games coming from the same director and dev team are not even close. NOT EVEN CLOSE. You’re a joke, dude.
Gameplay, scope, atmosphere, environments, better graphics, more of everything from Bloodborne.

My claim stands. Bloodborne compared to Elden Ring will give me much much less per dollar spent.

rush777

Elden Rings first half was the best game I’ve ever played. Once you get the mountaintops of the Giants I found the game to be an incredible slog. The difficulty spike from that point on just made the game tedious for me and I couldn’t wait to finish it. I also found it frustrating that no matter how much you levelled it didn’t seem to have any effect in the later stages of the game. Perhaps it’s due to the overall length and me being burnt out but the last 1/4 of the game really soured the experience for me.

Not one for the soulsborne much, but of the two I got to say Bloodborne. It has a better aesthetic to me and the experience seemed more focused

FrankWza

I have a hard time choosing one over the other.
Bloodborne has such great lore and setting and it feels more focused as an experience.
Elden Ring has build variety and depth, similar to Dark Souls only better.

Edit: If I have to choose I’ll go with Bloodborne. It simply trumps Elden Ring in terms of atmosphere and setting.
Well said. It’s a strange comparison other than being from the same company and even that isn’t 1to1.

poodaddy

If Bloodborne was multiplat it wouldn’t receive the same acclaim.

A lot of the love for the game is down to the fact it’s an exclusive.
I fucking despise Sony as a company, vastly prefer Microsoft, Nintendo, and Valve over Sony by hundreds of times. I believe Sony has a history of anti consumer practices, and I can't stand their hubris, their PR, their general attitude towards respecting historical purchases, or their fanboys.

Bloodborne is one of the best fucking games of all time dude, it's like in the top three. It's easily From Software's best game for my money; it's head and shoulders above the rest, and I'd venture so far as to say it's probably the best eldritch horror game of all time too. The love for Bloodborne is not just down to it being an exclusive, or at least it has nothing to do with why I love it so much, that's for damn sure.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I know it’s not the question, but I was walking my dog the other day and thinking to myself that DeS is literally one of the best games of all time. If not the best. World Tendency. The hub world. The Maiden in Black. Being able to tackle any world in any order. The music. The levels. The bosses. The game is just unbelievable.

So DeS is the answer to the question.

Elden Rings first half was the best game I’ve ever played. Once you get the mountaintops of the Giants I found the game to be an incredible slog. The difficulty spike from that point on just made the game tedious for me and I couldn’t wait to finish it. I also found it frustrating that no matter how much you levelled it didn’t seem to have any effect in the later stages of the game. Perhaps it’s due to the overall length and me being burnt out but the last 1/4 of the game really soured the experience for me.
Were you at 60 vigor

cortadew

I don't think it is a coincidence that I bought Bloodborne on the PS Store just a week after I bought Else Ring on steam

Top Bottom