• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING | Reviews Mega Thread

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
RDR2, BotW, MGS5 all have good scores on metacritic. I hope Elden Ring isn't yet another overhyped open world game.

Of those, only one I would consider overhyped in regards to rewarding players for their time. Hell one is BARELY an open-world game.

O-N-E

The BotW comparisons make me COOM.

nut GIF

kyussman

Ha......I said in another thread earlier how I'd retired from souls games.....but I'm not so sure nowJust watched Skill Up's review and it looks like the open world gives a lot more chances to explore and level up if you meet a tough boss.....I'm sure it will still be full of very hard encounters but it does give some hope to an old fucker like me,lol.....I might play this one day.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Mine for ACG

Rated it a buy. It has some issues that did impact just how easily it was to jump into and experience what was played, but none of that stopped me from having an utter blast!

Not watching shit until I beat the game, but on the other hand I always love your reviews, so... Would you say it's spoiler free if I just listen to it?

Buggy Loop

Mine for ACG

Rated it a buy. It has some issues that did impact just how easily it was to jump into and experience what was played, but none of that stopped me from having an utter blast!

30 minutes???

Robert Redford Nod GIF

Edit: holy shit at 1:56 LOL

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm literally in the same boat as you. Always appreciated the artistry, but was worried about accessibility. But this level of critical acclaim is pushing me towards purchasing sooner rather than later. I'm very happy for the developers.

Reviews confirm what the creator said, it's the "easiest" of the lot so far because of the sheer amount of options you have.

Having trouble on a boss? Turn around and walk in another direction, try something else. Level up your character. Come back stronger.

ToxicWeeb

Banned
It's going to be more Souls. Probably the best Souls game, but not exactly something you haven't seen before. But Souls games are all very good. Just going to be fun exploration, fun fights, and a cool dark setting.

You don't get scores at this level by accident. It's going to be extremely good.
Yeah, I hope you're right. As long as it has Sekiro/Bloodborne levels of quality it should be super good.

I feel like I'm in the Matrix, and the only person that's actually unplugged, but this game quite literally looks nowhere as good as what these scores suggest. I've watched hours and hours of footage trying to see what the fuss is all about, and I'm just not seeing it.

From the moment this game was shown everything about it seemed heavily manufactured even though I found the art style and visual direction to be great.

But yea, I'm not buying in at all. I await to see if someone can show me what makes this game so special because usually I'm quite good at feeling out games, and so far those instincts have come back with nothing.
Stay strong brother! Don't let others think you're crazy - you're not alone. I too think it's 6,5/10 game on a sunny day.

I genuinely think reviewers are having a laugh.

Me being happily wrong about 85-89… 4/5 of my top 5 game looking like it’s going to be all from soft games.

1. Fromsoft
2. Fallout3
3. Fromsoft
4. Fromsoft
5. Fromsoft

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

thegame983

I feel like I'm in the Matrix, and the only person that's actually unplugged, but this game quite literally looks nowhere as good as what these scores suggest. I've watched hours and hours of footage trying to see what the fuss is all about, and I'm just not seeing it.

From the moment this game was shown everything about it seemed heavily manufactured even though I found the art style and visual direction to be great.

But yea, I'm not buying in at all. I await to see if someone can show me what makes this game so special because usually I'm quite good at feeling out games, and so far those instincts have come back with nothing.
you're supposed to play games, not watch them

Karak

Not watching shit until I beat the game, but on the other hand I always love your reviews, so... Would you say it's spoiler free if I just listen to it?
Nothing is spoiler free and everyone has different ideas. I can say that I don't show any boss fights, just the overview when I beat them so you can see what happens, and some monsters. All reviews were held to the first 2 subsections of the entire world.

Fbh

It's going to be more Souls. Probably the best Souls game, but not exactly something you haven't seen before. But Souls games are all very good. Just going to be fun exploration, fun fights, and a cool dark setting.

You don't get scores at this level by accident. It's going to be extremely good.

From the reviews I've read it sounds like it's more Souls, but the transition to open world comes with a masterclass of open world structure and design like few other game son the market.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

From games are overhyped because of the fantastic art design and interesting Lore. I've yet to have literally anyone tell me whats special from a gameplay, A.I or story perspective. So you are not alone.
I think this is why you don't see it. You can't really "see" the greatness of a Souls game. It's in the experience. You have to dive in to it and experience the whole package. If you read some reviews you'll see that the scores aren't based upon looks but on something else. If you take the backseat and try to "feel out" these kind of games from other people/videos you will never get their greatness. They are meant to be experienced first hand.
So "God works in mysterious ways" basically.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
All reviews were held to the first 2 subsections of the entire world.
Glad to read this, guess I can take a peek even if it's just listening and not watching. Thanks! And congrats on your channel.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
These reviews have me so excited! My first priority once I get in the game is to locate a massive axe and thwomp my way around the open world!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
From the reviews I've read it sounds like it's more Souls, but the transition to open world comes with a masterclass of open world structure and design like few other game son the market.
Yeah, I think you're right. That is kind of the only new ingredient in this game. So they must have just nailed it, and just had the quality of content remain at a high level the whole time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member

He is on a 1080. IGN confirms a couple of stutters, but the IGN 10 is still based on PC, so I expect the performance to be good. :)

Can we stop posting tweets of the weasel. I'm liking them and even enjoying them. I should never type these words and feel like I have entered the twighlight zone. 🤣

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Nothing is spoiler free and everyone has different ideas. I can say that I don't show any boss fights, just the overview when I beat them so you can see what happens, and some monsters. All reviews were held to the first 2 subsections of the entire world.
Wait what? How many subsections are there

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
not my PC w/ integrated graphics. need to compare w/ similar priced products or get out.
ah, bad luck mate. Nah I have a super high end PC so I'll be playing mainly on PC but I have always done that with From Soft games bar Demons and Bloodborne.
I only have a XSX, but I'm curious about XSX VS PS5. The Game on a RTX 3090 would be a dream though...

I expect there will be some differences, with xbox being behind on launch day needing a few patches. seems like all games are coming in hot and a Japanese DEV will have focused on PS5 IMO.

Game seems to have come in a very unoptimized state at launch. Let's see what the day 1 patch brings.

Oh dear, fingers crossed for the Day one patch! Shrier was saying he had to go back to PC after trying the PS5 version so I think they are all going to be a bit dodgy at launch!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Critics are gushing over a highly anticipated AAA single player game?!

What.
Are.
The.
Odds?

(Hope the game is as good as they say, but Metacritic track record is too unreliable to me)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sounds like the Japanese step in again and show the West how to do an open world game.

So much of the same old tired Ubisoft open world games and BOTW and now Elden ring just encapsulate a different level of magic.

I apologise, as I am just so fucking hyped!

Can't believe Ive bought three copies! hahaha

Tg89

Critics are gushing over a highly anticipated AAA single player game?!

What.
Are.
The.
Odds?

(Hope the game is as good as they say, but Metacritic track record is too unreliable to me)

What was the last highly anticipated AAA single player game to get this score though? There's like one every few years at best.

ClosBSAS

ah, bad luck mate. Nah I have a super high end PC so I'll be playing mainly on PC but I have always done that with From Soft games bar Demons and Bloodborne.

I expect there will be some differences, with xbox being behind on launch day needing a few patches. seems like all games are coming in hot and a Japanese DEV will have focused on PS5 IMO.

Oh dear, fingers crossed for the Day one patch! Shrier was saying he had to go back to PC after trying the PS5 version so I think they are all going to be a bit dodgy at launch!
yes but jason said he had togo back to pc cause ps5 did not look as good. just wait and see, stop believing tweeterians

Lokaum D+

Game seems to have come in a very unoptimized state at launch. Let's see what the day 1 patch brings.

I love souls games, but this really bugs me, any other game with poor performance would have a hit or 2 on scores, but not some games, like nintendo ones, R* and From... i wonder y

Last edited:

Stuart360

Seen a few people in here who atre worried that the game is easy, or easier, but i watched Asmongold play the early look the other day on stream, and he died 55 times in a row to the same boss, and ended the stream without beating it.
Maybe the game does end up easier than the other Souls games i dont know, but its obviously going to be a hard game still overall.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member

You're the one that gave 10/10 to Halo infinite and you're not "feeling" for Elden Ring. Well i've watched some videos of Halo and i'm not feeling it either. But yeah I'm probably out of the Matrix as well.

Madflavor

So does this mean TLoU Part 2 will be dethroned for holding the record for most GotY awards when Elden Ring wins 50 GotY, and then an additional 500 from a bunch of random twitter nobodies?

I hope so. That would validate my love for the game.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sounds like the Japanese step in again and show the West how to do an open world game.

So much of the same old tired Ubisoft open world games and BOTW and now Elden ring just encapsulate a different level of magic.

I apologise, as I am just so fucking hyped!

Can't believe Ive bought three copies! hahaha
There’s only one western developer who can make an open world game consistently that’s worth a damn: Bethesda.

It won't most probably surpass Bloodborne for me (because of BB's setting) but damn these scores. Can't wait to play it in the few weeks when I'll get some spare money ;d

Top Bottom