• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree | Preview Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

Details:
  • DLC is accessed at Mohg palace
  • First Boss is Dancing Lion
  • FromSoftware says there's at least 10 major bosses in the DLC
  • DLC is at least 30 hours long (it's more than that)
  • The expected level range of 120 to 150 for the DLC is wide, but there's a mechanic to help lower level players
  • Over 100 new weapons
  • There's new ways to upgrade the character (other than Flasks, Great Rune)

New weapon types:

Great katana
Hand to hand
Throwing weapons
Thrusting shields
Reverse hand swords
Perfume bottles
Light greatswords
Beast claws

Blogposts:

Videos:

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I'd be more interested in opinions from Zullie, Quelaag, and Vaati than any of these...

Reactions: Isa

Gideon

Spoiler below

-

"This new category allowed me to go into combat bare-handed, swinging heavy punches and slamming kicks into my opponents. Just like other weapon types, Martial Arts can be assigned a Skill to suit your playstyle" That sounds amazing.

Last edited:

Metnut

Don’t want to spoil myself but can anyone answer if I’ll need like a dozen smithing stones of each level to make the new weapons playable or will I be able to just equip and let it rip?

More of the same shit. Great. And I'm all for it.

tumblr_mlmitd9ZRZ1rurbh7o1_500.gif

Madflavor

Sounds like a great expansion to one of the greatest games ever made. I'll be gunning for the first light greatsword, they look awesome.

FunkMiller

The SkillUp video is all I need or want to see at this point. It's going to be fucking brilliant. FromSoft did not miss with the main game, and this looks like an even better refinement on the base. Can't wait to try the unarmed combat stuff.

If it's their biggest DLC ever, I reckon this is easily topping out at 50 or 60 hours to find and do everything, so larger than most actual games. Can't wait to get back to the expertly crafted exploration. Probable GOTY for me (again).

Antwix

Any deals on a pc bundle? I have it on ps5 but let plus lapse.

Fanatical and GMG have it for $70. Cheapest out there it seems like.

Kssio_Aug

I've been playing the base game, and I will probably wait for a sale for the DLC, even if it will probably take a long time for this to happen.

I'm currently at Mt. Gelmir and I'm feeling exhausted already. The game isn't hard, in fact it has been the easiest Souls game at least until the point I'm at. But it feels so extremely bloated...

I wander at that huge open scenario and 90% of the items I collect are useless for my build. Every so often I want to reach some place, I'm met with a huge cliff that I need to find my way around it. Most regular enemies I just pass by using Torrent, because it's not worth fighting them. I'm getting really sick of the same catacombs structure full of annoying hidden goblins, or of the same boss fights over and over.

I mean... it was both disappointing AND funny, to see that they repeated catacombs over and over with a giant cat statue at the end as a boss, and when they felt they couldn't just make that statue stronger they decided to put 2 statues together, or an statue with 5 goblins.

Shiba Inu What GIF by BuzzFeed

And baffles me that they can't bother making some log for the quests or any type of quest progression indicator. It's stupid at this point.

It IS a fine game. The core and great gameplay from all Dark Souls is still there, the art direction is amazing as ever, and the music is awesome!

But the open world, besides beautiful to look at, is in my honest opinion a downgrade compared to the amazing level design of the previous titles, including Bloodborne and Sekiro.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I've been playing the base game, and I will probably wait for a sale for the DLC, even if it will probably take a long time for this to happen.

I'm currently at Mt. Gelmir and I'm feeling exhausted already. The game isn't hard, in fact it has been the easiest Souls game at least until the point I'm at. But it feels so extremely bloated...

I wander at that huge open scenario and 90% of the items I collect are useless for my build. Every so often I want to reach some place, I'm met with a huge cliff that I need to find my way around it. Most regular enemies I just pass by using Torrent, because it's not worth fighting them. I'm getting really sick of the same catacombs structure full of annoying hidden goblins, or of the same boss fights over and over.

I mean... it was both a disappointment AND funny, to see that they repeated catacombs over and over with a giant cat statue at the end as a boss, and when they felt they couldn't just make that statue stronger they decided to put 2 statues together, or an statue with 5 goblins.

Shiba Inu What GIF by BuzzFeed

It IS a fine game. The core and great gameplay from all Dark Souls is still there, the art direction is amazing as ever, the music is awesome!

But the open world, besides beautiful to look at, is in my honest opinion a downgrade compared to the amazing level design of the previous titles, including Bloodborne and Sekiro.

I think for you it might be a better bet to follow the sites of grace and get through the main questline. If the exploration is exhausting for you, I would stop doing it. For me, it's the best thing about the game. Both Elden Ring and Tears Of The Kingdom are incredibly good at just letting you wander about for hours, finding new stuff. But there's no reason to do that if you're not really into that style of slow, measured gameplay. Perfectly okay to miss stuff to get through the game.

Top Bottom