• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ellen Page (Inception Juno, etc) is now Elliot Page.

Here's one thing I never got from people who think gender is a "social construct" which I think is obviously and clearly not true, but many argue that.

If gender is truly a "social construct" and what we perceive as masculine and feminine things are only perceived to be that because "society conditioned us to believe that" then why do trans people make any changes to their look or body at all?

For example why would a trans man take their breasts off or a trans woman get their penis removed? Why would a trans man cut their hear short and take testosterone and dress in different clothing?

If the people who say gender is a social construct truly believe it then shouldn't those same people be comfortable walking around looking as they were born? Isn't the fact that people change themselves confirmation that these things are not social constructs and this is how different genders like to dress and how different genders look?
Easy. Because it's all bollocks.

To elaborate:

The entire house of cards is built upon the post modernist notion that there is no objective truth.

If there's no objective truth, then two contradictory ideas can both be held, because they are both 'true' subjectively, regardless of them being objectively false and wholly contradictory.

They're nutters.

Last edited:
This is nothing more than a "I'm not getting attention, LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!" Message from her/him. If you're gay, thats fine. But she kinda is like the person that once met a super famous person and then spends the next 13 years telling everyone about that one time they met a super famous person, except with her, its thats shes gay or that shes uncomfortable in her body. Seriously, live you life, find your happiness, but ultimately, move the fuck on.

teezzy

Banned
People get so hung up on the 'born female' aspect.

Nobody is saying claiming Elliot/Ellen Page is now a cisgendered man. She/He's a transgendered man.

I dont fully understand it either, but it's not my life.

teezzy

Banned
Yep. It's the same thinking as going to the gym. You didn't actually go unless you put a selfie on social media.

Lol

Celebrities are in the public eye. They can't even go to Dunkin Donuts without some dickhead taking pictures of them.

If they decide to transition to a different gender or change their name, of course they gotta let people know. If Ellen Page genuinely feels like shes a dude named Elliot now, then why wouldnt she address that publicly?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
interesting how she had to change her name to be more like a man even though "Ellen" was a man the whole time?

the changing the name thing, i don't understand. you say you are embracing your true sexuality because you can't change that. yet in order to embrace your true self that you were born with... you are inventing a new name?

interesting how she had to change her name to be more like a man even though "Ellen" was a man the whole time?

the changing the name thing, i don't understand. you say you are embracing your true sexuality because you can't change that. yet in order to embrace your true self that you were born with... you are inventing a new name?
I'm offended she couldn't pick a better name than Elliot, it sounds like she's about to get anal probed by E.T.'s finger.

No offense to any actual Elliots on GAF.

skIiJxZ.gif

teezzy

Banned
You're not born with a name #Phonepunk# #Phonepunk# just like she/he wasn't born with a dick. Clearly page's brain thinks they're a dude.

Now I'm confusing myself 😑

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
The fact that you have to jump through all these mental hoops just to understand transgendered people definitely makes it questionable, but theres no denying that these people want to be the opposite gender and have decided to identify as such.

Given my confusion, I can only imagine how confused they must feel. If its gonna make their life better just to call them by a preferred name then I dont see any harm in that.

Theres a guy at my work named Richard who goes by "Corey". We all just call him "Corey" despite what it says on his nameplate. No questions asked. Maybe weird dad issues idk.

I dont see this being much different

Last edited:

Forsythia

I do wonder what the next step is for him. Lesbian>transman/non-binary>???? Or is he just going to add some more? +Muslim +pansexual +furry??

What's next on the woke oppression ladder?

Elcid

Banned
Coming out is such a ridiculous thing these days. Mind your own business nobody cares. Individual: Yeah, I suck cock. People: Ok.
That’s the issue, they expect us to have a fucking parade every time this happens and to tell them how brave they are. No one gives a shit about your obvious mental illness. There are legitimate transgender people and then there are people desperate for attention.

teezzy

Banned
The replies to articles about this are as annoying as you'd imagine. Lots of outlets mention Ellen Page is now Elliot Page and the first 10 reactions are whining about deadnaming. We'll, people have no idea who Elliot Page is

#cancel IMDB :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Congrats on becoming a straight white male! When is she getting an Addadicktome to make it official?

Last edited:

Collin

Banned
The replies to articles about this are as annoying as you'd imagine. Lots of outlets mention Ellen Page is now Elliot Page and the first 10 reactions are whining about deadnaming. We'll, people have no idea who Elliot Page is, so stop with the attitude.

i’m fully accepting and supportive of elliot being a trans man but fuck those people who are complaining about the deadnaming lol. the whole deadnaming is so overblown, if we’re supposed to fully accept the idea of a person transitioning genders as a society, then you have to accept the fact that those people have transitioned from someone else, otherwise there was no transition at all, now is there?

obviously you can use someone’s old name with malicious intent, like if someone is intentionally (important word here) refering to a trans person by their old name as a fuck you, then sure, that person is kind of an asshole, regardless of the amount of ben shapiro rants about mental illness and biology they can rattle off to their face, (and by the way, the people who yell at people for accidentally misgendering are also assholes too) but if you’re doing it in the journalistic sense or just conversationally without malicious intent, it should be fine. i’ve met trans people who are firmly comfortable with the fact that they had a different name before and don’t make a big deal of it, and that’s the mentality most of them should take.

interestingly, most of the people who get “offended” by that kind of thing are cis white women who aren’t even trans who are just trying to prove how “woke” they are for the social brownie points.

Last edited:

Stouffers

Banned
She was lookin more and more like a dude anyway. Gays can't be gays anymore. Tomboys can't be tomboys anymore. Flamboyant gays can't me flamboyant gays anymore. If you aren't "normal" you're apparently trans now.
You can still be a shitstain

GeorgPrime

Banned
So when iam allowed to announce that iam a white male hetero man? In our times thats a brave move because you are literally the worst of the worst.

Top Bottom