• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elodie Yung cast as Elektra in Marvel/Netflix's Daredevil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Now just confirm that rumor that Vincent Piazza is in season 2 is true. He's just amazing. And Boardwalk Empire reunion would be awesome.

tumblr_lusslkTA3g1qgk2lf.gif

I wonder if he'd used his real voice or stick with the deeper Luciano one.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
all I want is a training scene with Elektra doing exercises barefoot and in her knickers and bra

at least a three minutes long scene. I can settle for 2.30

Apt101

They're packing characters on now that the show's a success for Netflix.

OK pick I guess. I was expecting someone super tall and Greek looking.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
As a Greek myself I think they probably should have cast someone who looks less Asian and more European. Even Hispanic is a much closer look. But still, she could still kinda pass for a Greek woman with an Asian mother I guess.

One of my (Greek) best mates has married a Thai girl and their two kids look FAR more Asian than this girl so all good.

On Bullseye, I thought they nabbed Statham no?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
That's... not someone I would've picked. I guess she'll be half-Greek?

At least she can bring the physicality to the roll.

Now, all I want is dat Bullseye casting.

EYEL1NER

Just finished the last episode of the show, came to GAF to search for the OT, and saw this news. Pretty awesome choice, I loved her in D13:Ultimatum (she was one of the few good things in the movie). They nailed a lot of the casting choices already anyway, so I wouldn't be worried about her even if I hadn't seen her in a couple action roles already.

Walpurgis

Banned
On Bullseye, I thought they nabbed Statham no?

‘Daredevil’ Season 2 Loses Jason Statham as Bullseye
Where some initial reports attempted to refute news of Statham’s talks, Bloody Disgusting backed up the original Latino Review break, citing that Statham was “deep in negotiations” for the role. Now however, Statham has apparently shut down negotiations entirely, some even attributing the actor’s decline to the story leaking in the first place.

Few details are explicit, though it seems plausible that Statham’s management may have upped their asking price after the initial internet reception, or that Marvel may have anticipated as much and pre-emptively broken talks. In either case, Statham offered some surprising comments on the state of Marvel movies in a recent Spy interview, saying:

"A lot of the modern sort of action movies I see, Marvel comic sort of things, I just think any guy could do it. I mean, I could take my grandma, put her in a cape, put her on a green screen and they’ll have stunt doubles come in and do all the action. Anybody could do it. I mean they’re relying on stunt doubles, green screen and a $200 million budget. It’s all CGI created. To me it’s not authentic."

Statham Is Out of ‘Daredevil': Why Leaks Can Sometimes Do Damage
Long story short? He was legitimately in heavy negotiations for the role and the leak killed it. Perhaps his agent saw the positive uproar and instantly upped the actor’s asking fee? Perhaps the studio spotted the same excited reaction and preemptively killed the deal out of fear of Statham’s management going for more money? Who knows. The bottom line is that yesterday the Crank star was at the top of the list and deep in negotiations and today Marvel has moved on to other pastures.

It’s not the first time that an early leak has killed a potential deal for Marvel. The very same thing happened last year when Joaquin Phoenix entered negotiations to play the titular role in next year’s Doctor Strange. The internet was ablaze with reactions of all kinds when the information leaked and the constant attention ultimately soured the deal. Marvel and Phoenix ultimately parted ways and a few months later Benedict Cumberbatch scored the role.
p0qbmqh.gif

Pachimari

What a perfect thing to wake up to! She is exactly how I would imagine Elektra in love action so to me it is a perfect casting based on looks. Here's hoping she'll have good chemistry with Charlie Cox.

second season sounds very crowded :/ hopefully they don't choke on too many characters not getting enough screentime.

I mean they have to introduce Punisher, Elektra and Bullseye, probably give them backstory and stuff to do all the while not forgetting Daredevil and his supporting cast.

jph139

second season sounds very crowded :/ hopefully they don't choke on too many characters not getting enough screentime.

I mean they have to introduce Punisher, Elektra and Bullseye, probably give them backstory and stuff to do all the while not forgetting Daredevil and his supporting cast.

Well, Season 1
killed off or otherwise removed most of its villains, save for Kingpin and Vanessa, and their story was pretty fleshed out. So they have a lot of space for a few new characters on top of last season's dangling plot threads.

3rdman

Wait a sec...can someone clear this up for me? DD is entering its second season (great!) but I assume that doesn't interfere with the other properties that Netflix has (Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, etc), right? Those properties will still have their own seasons?

Wait a sec...can someone clear this up for me? DD is entering its second season (great!) but I assume that doesn't interfere with the other properties that Netflix has (Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, etc), right? Those properties will still have their own seasons?
All the other announced series will have at least one season, and presumably more if they're popular like DD is.

The only issue this might create is delaying the timeline a little bit, as we're likely not going to see Iron Fist until early 2017.

3rdman

All the other announced series will have at least one season, and presumably more if they're popular like DD is.

The only issue this might create is delaying the timeline a little bit, as we're likely not going to see Iron Fist until early 2017.

Ok great! That is what I thought but I wanted to be sure...I'm really looking forward to The Defenders culmination. Thanks.

Fuchsdh

I guess I can see it.

In some pictures she looks Asian, in others she looks European. I guess it depends on the makeup style; she's got a very versatile face.

In the GI Joe pics on the first page she strikes me as someone with Roma ancestry. So yeah I definitely think she's got a fairly wide range of plausibility. Not sure if it extends to Greek, but I gotta' go with "if she's a good actor, then it's close enough" sentiments on this one.

Blader

My guess is we'll see Jessica Jones this fall/winter, then DD S2 and Luke Cage next year, and Iron Fist and the Defenders in 2017. There probably won't be a second season of Jones and Cage before Defenders and instead Marvel will have them show up in each other's shows.

Wiktor

It's 13 eps season. It will be fine. The first DD season didnt feel like it had enough story for 13 episodes (felt like something perfect for 8-9), so I welcome them making S2 more busy.

I like it. Always a fan of getting actors/actresses that can look natural doing some of the choreography.

She looked the part in GI Joe

8587049354_98e1c1ba78_b.jpg

Pejo

I really need to watch this show. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and I like that casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom