• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enemies that made you go "Nope"

Bishop89

Younger self
DoomII_Spiderdemon.png

Demon-Doom2-map03.png

current self
red-eye-knight.jpg

Red eye knight

8DAB1BDCA65FFCB38D92C55D21A7C33C59C089FD_large.jpg

Reapers I think they were called

Poison_zombie.jpg

Poison zombies

tkscz

Aww come on, you can't post nightmare fuel like this and not say the name of the game.

So I can get a copy to scare myself.

Resident Evil: Revelations, his speech makes him even more creepy, and makes you feels guilty for killing him.

Talking about scary enemies or hard enemies?

Cause hard enemies make me smile and jump, never seen any really scary enemy. Shocked but was like whatever.

Forkball

Crimson heads in REmake. If you don't know, these new additions were zombies that would come back to life if you did not destroy their head. They were deadlier and fiercer than regular zombies. I was exploring a room, when a zombie I had killed ages ago, suddenly stood up.

AND THEN THE GAME WAS NEVER PLAYED AGAIN

Jacqli

Nope, I think I am going to take another route.

Nope, I think I am going to die here (they were so fast!).

But Corpse Party was my nope game in general, not only with enemies. While I was reading the notes left by other students, I knew I should not keep reading them.
Or those ghost kids. Or the girl in red dress. Or god, so many bad moments.
I hate you.

IoCaster

The Last Remnant - Observer (430,000 HP)

Observer.png

Found in the Ancient Ruins these bastards can go into Overdrive mode (five consecutive attacks on one union) as early as the second turn in battle and lay waste to (KO) any union that's deadlocked to them. They can be hard to spot since they're sometimes invisible and they'll phase through doors. Seriously, if you can't take it down within three turns then just run away if you see one.

Anybody mentioned Super Contra yet? Cause I just remembered these mothafuckas.

gyaba_2.png

rfalcon.JPG

I used to get creepy and uncomfortable chills down my spine every time I got to the last boss as a child.

DiresuDR

SH_Movie_Nurses.jpg

The sound of the metal scraping the floor as they headed towards you. One of the scariest things I've experienced in a game. Of course it helps i played Silent Hill 1 when i was pretty young.

Replicant

Lepotitsa was truly a nightmare fuel. And the way she sticks her tongue down your throat is just vile.

Resident Evil Revelations. It's the obligatory chainsaw enemy. Well, not really a chainsaw, but you get the idea.

When I first hear his voice I thought "Welp, that doesn't sound human..."

HeelPower

giant-depraved-one-club-2.jpg

Giant Depraved Ones from Demon's Souls.

Honestly, all things being equal, they're not THAT terrible, but you are CONSTANTLY at considerable disadvantage every time you encounter them. Enclosed spaces with problematic camera angles, narrow walkways, tiny islands in a poison swamp that you can't roll in, sometimes multiples, etc. They hit really goddamned hard, my SL 166 character with maxed stamina bar and fully upgraded shield is easily staggered if I block instead of dodge. Plus From loves to play tricks of perspective, so you see them from a distance and think they're normal, only to have them run at you SUPER FUCKING FAST and attempt to clobber you.

God I hate dealing with them. There's an island in the swamp with two or three, I have no idea what's on it because I can't roll in the swamp to dodge, and they rush you long before you reach land.

YES..these guys are insane to fight..imo easily the worst sub boss in demon's souls(not including phantoms) They hit really hard, track really well, run really fast, have tons of HP and they take forever to stagger...The situations you find them only amplify the horror..Even just the way the immediately run at you is really scary.

Ushae

Banned
The bear from Condemned. I almost shit myself.

For most of Dark Souls I avoided black Knights like the plague.

Duallusion

Can't have a thread like this without mannequins from Condemned:

Runner ups; yep, mannequins from Bioshock!

bioshockreview33.jpg

Anything that moves (closer) when you look away but stands still when you look at it? And looks like a doll or a statute or something that isn't suppose to move at all? Sheesh.

This Youtube cat stalker always reminds me of them. See also: Weeping Angels from Doctor Who, that hedge animals part in The Shining (book), etc. etc. All NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!

Anybody mentioned Super Contra yet? Cause I just remembered these mothafuckas.

gyaba_2.png

rfalcon.JPG

I used to get creepy and uncomfortable chills down my spine every time I got to the last boss as a child.

That bottom one got me as a kid, but it was Contra 3. Took me and a friend forever to get that far, tensions were high and when that thing appeared just said "nope" and turned off the system.

EGM1966

Back Headcrabs. Half Life 2 - nothing else comes close for me. The design of their look, their noise and the way they move slowly then scuttle like mad if damaged, the way they hang from their moaning carrier...

Ugh. But amazing design.

mrgone

So many bad memories. Thanks, thread!

1989733-systemshock2halloween.jpg

Yeah! Hearing this shit coming from behind a door or around a corner stopped my progress regularly when I was first playing through the game. All the sound design in System Shock 2 is bloody terrifying, but the Midwives are definitely the ones that affected me the most.

Mr. F

Banned
This thread reminds me I need to buy that Dark Souls art book once it comes out. Fantastic designs all around.

Top Bottom