• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enemies that made you go "Nope"

Bentles

These things in Far Cry
farcry_286.jpg

RobertC

Banned
resident-evil-1-remake-gamecube-crimson-head-artwork-big.jpg

I stopped playing the game altogether the first time I saw a Crimson head burst through an open door and chase me down the hallway

TTG

The most recent example I can think of is XCOM. Make a 180 turn and run out of sight from these guys:

XCOM-EU_Chrysalid.jpg

and

640px-XEU_Cyberdisc_grenade_attack.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
Halo's Hunters have real potential to be that kind of enemy, but the games constantly managed to sabotage them. They were great in the first game, until you discovered that the pistol kills them in a single shot and since then you never really encounter them without access to some kind of power weapon.
So, I'm just going to take a moment to appreciate that one encounter in ODST that lets Hunters be as scary as they should be, when no amount of preparation can break them.

For a pile of worms inside a tin can, those guys were pretty cool.
Hunters were always terrifying for me because I didn't know about the pistol thing til way later. It simply never occurred to me that I should pull out my fucking pistol when facing this badass enemy.

972322-bertha.png

A lot scarier when I was 8. I used two flutes just to avoid these guys. They were big, swimming around just waiting to swallow you whole.

mqdefault.jpg

This was less "nope" and more "OMG TURN IT OFF!!!" the first time I ran into these guys. Just pops out of those pipes.

Zeroth

Scan352.jpg

literally closed my 3DS laid down in the fetal position and had to reevaluate my life....

I remember being terrified for the boss battle.... simply because the game did a very good job setting up the mood for it. Of course, the boss itself is pretty easy once you figure out how it works.

Oh, and another mention for Nemesis. I remember him being my worst nightmare as a kid.

Mimic.jpg

An evil chest is bad enough, but there's something about the dark Souls Mimic with it's long, spindly limbs and chuckling that totally creeps me out. Doesn't stop me from ending them in short order, though.

Probably because those limbs don't/shouldn't fit spatially within itself, which you subconsciously notice and it freaks you out. Combine that with the surprise attack and you've got the perfect NOPE moment.

I remember these guys scared the crap out of me my first time through STALKER. I wasn't expecting zombies and I remember spotting about three through my rifle scope before sprinting back to base, saving and taking a break.

Syrinx

Back when I was in kindergarten or so, my brother and I had Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire for the N64. There was this one boss that was in the sewers or something that was a monster under the water...neither of us wanted anything to do with it. He tried to pressure me into trying to beat it once, but then I saw him and I turned off the N64 and I cried.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
A bit different from the previous answers, but in the first few low-level characters on WoW:
When you first venture into PvP territory, and you hear that *dismounting* sfx (back when mounts were something that took some work and you didn't get em at such a low level) or simply a rogue's sfx, you'd freak the fuck out and just run towards the nearest town.
Usually you'd be quickly slaughtered anyway, and it was made more terrifying knowing that this was a real person that will likely chase you till the ends of the world for the slight joy in killing you.

sonny21004

Neo Member
No redead fears?

That moaning and scream is still nerve racking for me.

My god the redeads, especially the dancing ones in Majoras Mask! I had to get someone to stay in the same room as me so I could get past these zombies. Because of them, I found Resident Evil extremely terrifying as a kid.

I can play these games now, but I'm still a bit scared of redeads, I'm 23 :-/

KiDdYoNe

Fuck you, dolphin. Scarred for life.

FUCK ME FUCK ME FUCK ME
I ONLY PLAYED FIRST TEN MINUTES AND THAT SCARED ME NICE WTF IS THIS NOW

damn i think im not sleepin tonight

oh and btw i remembered how i was running away from whatever it is in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune ending. Not ending, but u got the idea.

Valravn

tumblr_mf1bpz9BT91qbu806o1_500.png

Quelaag. First time i entered her lair you get a cutscene; and after that Quelaag immediately skitters towards you. NOPE!

resident-evil-1-remake-gamecube-crimson-head-artwork-big.jpg

I stopped playing the game altogether the first time I saw a Crimson head burst through an open door and chase me down the hallway

Damn Crimson Heads. I remember killing a zombie and it revived when i re-entered the room. I ran away screaming and avoided that room after that. Until i discovered i had to enter te room again several times. I easily avoided him because he was always at the far end of the room. Until one time he switched places; he was at the door i always ran towards. NOPE!

Hulohot

Neo Member
From Killing Floor

180px-Fleshpound.png

The second one of these things appear, "Nope" and tactically retreat to a group of people to help .

Semajer

I've played the Fatal Frame games a lot, but there's only one ghost that actually scares me every time; the female head.

Floatingwomanheadbio.png

This thing scares the crap out of me, and is one of the reasons I consider Fatal Frame to be the scariest game I've ever played.

Zezboob

Hehe, Dark Souls gets a lot of answers, not surprising since it's pretty much recent and it's difficult when you start playing.

Strangely, I didn't see any post about Havel.
468px-Havel.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised that any guy who see him for the very first time run away quickly.
Uh, sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you.

Top Bottom