• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer] The "significant majority" of Diablo 4 players "haven't finished the game yet"

Spyxos

Gold Member
384ef79f0cb8df5c7e8bab11936c8f9551b507cb-scaled.jpg

Blizzard has revealed that the "significant majority" of players have yet to complete Diablo 4.

That's according to Diablo 4's game director, Joe Shely, who confirmed on a recent fireside chat that whilst it may feel as though players are rocketing through the story campaign, the truth is that most players are taking their time, albeit "playing through content much more quickly".

"The significant majority of our players haven't finished the game yet," Shely said in the livestreamed discussion. "But many of the people who are watching this stream, and our dedicated players, play through content much more quickly and have been experiencing this situation with the dungeons."

As spotted by PC Gamer, Shely mentions the latter point in reference to Diablo 4's nightmare dungeons, which are proving to be exactly that - nightmarish to complete.

Consequently, despite being an endgame activity, most players are instead choosing to grind in the normal side dungeons instead. This has prompted Blizzard to ease the difficulty on the nightmare variant, as well as improve the XP rewards in a bid to tempt us away from the easier normal dungeons.

Draugoth

Gold Member
That's according to Diablo 4's game director, Joe Shely, who confirmed on a recent fireside chat that whilst it may feel as though players are rocketing through the story campaign, the truth is that most players are taking their time, albeit "playing through content much more quickly".

"The significant majority of our players haven't finished the game yet," Shely said in the livestreamed discussion. "But many of the people who are watching this stream, and our dedicated players, play through content much more quickly and have been experiencing this situation with the dungeons."

I finished the campaign a couple days ago. The leveling goes to a halt after lvl 50 and that's discouraging.

SJRB

Gold Member
I bought the game a week ago and didn't even finish the first act.

I barely have an hour a day to play videogames and Diablo is a game that takes a bit to get in the groove, so every time I was hitting that groove I had to stop.

Being a adult sucks, man. I wish I could spend 8 hours a day playing videogames.

Well, I've just finished a D4 session and I'm at the end of Act V. Took me about 45h of playtime to get there and still have one last act to complete.

Level 54 currently and just want to be done with the campaign so I can jump to world tier III difficulty.

Last edited:

Paasei

I do all the side quests in each area and then I move on.
I did the same until I found out when I would get a mount. So once I knew, I focused on the campaign till I got it. Now I’m back to your approach. Just finished the storyline earlier today.

amigastar

I finished the campaign a couple days ago. The leveling goes to a halt after lvl 50 and that's discouraging.
Thats what i've been telling in the Diablo 4 thread but they accused me that Diablo franchise IS grinding and that i don't understand. But imo it would be nice if they buffed the leveling from 50 on.

Last edited:

I barely have an hour a day to play videogames and Diablo is a game that takes a bit to get in the groove, so every time I was hitting that groove I had to stop.

Being a adult sucks, man. I wish I could spend 8 hours a day playing videogames.
Same. Also still in Act 1 and lvl 27.

Haven’t even finished 10 dungeons. Just doing loads of side shit.

Come to think of it: I think I was level 27 when finishing original Diablo 3 campaign, is that possible?

Last edited:

Methos#1975

It is slower but the fact you get four paragon points per level isn't too bad. I just look at each level as actually going 4 levels lol.

Last edited:

Calverz

I finished the story about level 45ish. It was pretty poor imo. The level scaling just makes the game feel like a massive grind too. The story took a bit of a nosedive from act 4 onwards I’d say

MirageMew2

It’s a crazy time for releases. I stopped TotK dead in its tracks since early access and am still only sitting at 56 WT3. This is between trying to climb out or Iron in SF6.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

For me the biggest issue is gear drops, they suck so bad. I lucked out and got a wand and a focus that were at 700 item power plus 25 fully upgraded but that was 20 hours ago and since then not one single piece of better equipment for any slot. Even grinding our dungeons over and over for better drops and nada. Shit sucks.

Topher

Gold Member
I've been hitting side quests to build up my renown and get more potion slots. Been fun so far, but.....

For me the biggest issue is gear drops, they suck so bad. I lucked out and got a wand and a focus that were at 700 item power plus 25 fully upgraded but that was 20 hours ago and since then not one single piece of better equipment for any slot. Even grinding our dungeons over and over for better drops and nada. Shit sucks.

Yeah, that's been my problem as well. And when I do get something cool it is meant for a totally different build of sorcerer. I'm lightning but I keep getting items flame and ice perks. Annoying.

Atrus

Gold Member
I haven’t finished the game either.
I got my mount at level 53 and I’m starting Act 5 at level 55.

It’s a content rich game with some under-developed mechanics and quality of life issues.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

I've been hitting side quests to build up my renown and get more potion slots. Been fun so far, but.....

Yeah, that's been my problem as well. And when I do get something cool it is meant for a totally different build of sorcerer. I'm lightning but I keep getting items flame and ice perks. Annoying.
I'm using ice shard and get nothing but lightning equip lol

Hot5pur

Curious if you have children? May not be so much being an adult but not yet coming to terms that to enjoy certain things we must give up others. This is a debate I keep having with the wife "do you like spontaneous trips, sleeping in, going to the theater on several work nights and having naughty time whenever we feel like? Or would you prefer to give up your soul for several years to feel a strong, meaningful, loving bond with a miniature half-version of yourself"?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No shit lol. Almost 40 hours and just in act 4 of the story. Most time is exploring, dungeon crawling and side questing.

Valt7786

I finished the story, realised all of the classes are boring/not for me (I loved Monk and Crusader in D3), the talent tree is terrible and boring and the endgame levelling grind is a snoozefest.
Serious buyers remorse from me now :(

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m in Act V and I’m probably half way in. My wife got bored and stopped playing, so I’ll play the rest solo. Diablo III felt shorter. We got through that in a couple days. I think my wife wanted to focus too much on side quests and dungeons. From what I understand rewards suck until after you beat it.

I remember finishing Diablo III when the auction house was still around at launch. Finished it a bunch more times and then when the expansion came out. You could get through the game so quickly. I wonder if D4 will be that way in a couple years.

My one gripe is how dry the plot has been. Some parts are cool while others it’s listening to what feels like they pulled some of these names/locations out of their ass.

DavidGzz

I mean, most gamers don't play like it's a full time job. I had to beeline the story to finish eventually cause I was taking too much time doing side stuff at first and it still felt like 50 hours or so.

Filben

Ok? Let's make a news article out of every game that won't be finished by the majority of the players. That's one way to provide "content" for your readers.

This is only interesting in so far that Blizzard reacts to how people play the game and don't let their original vision and balancing stand but want people to get through faster and faster to the endgame.

Imagine CDPR seeing TW3 players taking too long or won't finishing the main quests and increase XP from side quests significantly. Strange reasoning.

I wish I was like you. Tons of backlog on my side. Plus I keep forgeting about my old games, once I start new ones. Its a repeat of cycle.
Are you playing multiple open world AAA RPGs and constantly juggling between them?

I noticed that my completed games stat went way up this year when I started playing indie games and linear AAA.

EruditeHobo

It's definitely a different feel... but it's still exciting getting into paragon, no?

I'm only in Act 3 and I'm lvl 53. So by all accounts I'm going pretty slow. I do wish I had the option to get into WT3 at this point, with a mount. Feels overkill to have to wait for those things this long.

Draugoth

Gold Member
I'm only in Act 3 and I'm lvl 53. So by all accounts I'm going pretty slow. I do wish I had the option to get into WT3 at this point, with a mount. Feels overkill to have to wait for those things this long.

T4 should be faster but i doubt it.

Top Bottom