• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE - PS5 Pro in Development, Could Release Late 2024

Xtib81

Then buy an all in PC.

Computer Pc GIF by weSpark
T-Force Cat GIF by TEAMGROUP
I'd rather play Sony's big hitters on day one + it seems like lately, every major PC release has had lots of issues.. I just want to insert the disc and play, rather than searching on forums how to run the damn game..

nial

Gold Member
This will be the third anniversary, iirc the ps4 pro released only four years after the ps4 launched so its not that far off.

But i do agree, from the 20ish months of scarcity and cross-gen, it does feel like its only just begun.
Nah, PS4 Pro was released 3 years after base PS4 model, but we already had two years full of next-gen games by that point, to be quite fair.

Historia

Banned
This. Has there even been more than 3 actual next gen games on PS5 that are not playable on PS4? It's fucking pathetic.
There's like a 4 exclusive games I think, plus 3 more coming this year so that's basically more than PS4. It's still better than first 3 years of PS4 though, basically thirsty for content

Paasei

Only worth it if every game from then on out runs 60fps. Otherwise there really isn't any reason to get one.
PS4 Pro turned out to be quite a let down as well for me.

There's like a 4 exclusive games I think, plus 3 more coming this year so that's basically more than PS4. It's still better than first 3 years of PS4 though, basically thirsty for content
I didn't say exclusive. From my count there is Demons Souls Remake, Returnal and now only recently FFXVI. I dont count Horizon DLC, since well, it's not the whole game.

Sleepwalker

This. Has there even been more than 3 actual next gen games on PS5 that are not playable on PS4? It's fucking pathetic.

A few I think?

Dead Space
FFXVI
Demon's souls
Returnal
Ratchet and clank
TLOUP1
Forspoken
Jedi Survivor
Deathloop
Ghostwire tokyo
Gotham Knights
The Medium
Plague tale requiem
flight sim
redfall (lols)

Plus all the announced but unreleased games coming later this year. I'm sure im missing some this is just off the top of my head.

vivftp

And in this narrative of yours, you do realize that it's the pandemic delays that have pushed games back 1+ years this gen, right? So what precisely is pathetic about titles being delayed due to an unavoidable pandemic?

On the PS5 for current gen console exclusives we have had:

Demon's Souls
TLOU Part 1
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Forspoken
Final Fantasy 16
Destruction All-Stars
FF7 Remake Intergrade DLC
Astro's Playroom
Horizon FW Burning Shores DLC
Horizon Call of the Mountain - hell, every single PSVR2 game actually

You can add Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo which were timed exclusives.

Then we have the upcoming announced lineup, most of which should release before the PS5 Pro does:

Spider-Man 2
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Stellar Blade
Rise of the Ronin
DS2
Fairgame$
Concord
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Wolverine
Marathon (well, current gen exclusive, but multi-plat)

Then of course we have all the cross-gen games that have far superior graphics and performance on their current gen versions which definitely counts for something.

Pfft, "pathetic". What nonsense.

Historia

Banned
And in this narrative of yours, you do realize that it's the pandemic delays that have pushed games back 1+ years this gen, right? So what precisely is pathetic about titles being delayed due to an unavoidable pandemic?

Then of course we have all the cross-gen games that have far superior graphics and performance on their current gen versions which definitely counts for something.

I think he meant games that could not be possible on PS4. Which still kinda dumb because a lot of early PS4 games could have play well on PS3

A few I think?

Dead Space
FFXVI
Demon's souls
Returnal
Ratchet and clank
TLOUP1
Forspoken
Jedi Survivor
Deathloop
Ghostwire tokyo
Gotham Knights
The Medium
Plague tale requiem
flight sim
redfall (lols)

Plus all the announced but unreleased games coming later this year. I'm sure im missing some this is just off the top of my head.
Ahh right I did forget quite a few there lol. But yeah that is the full list of actual next gen games including xbox.
Alright well I was wrong so I take the L. Still not happy about the output this far.

On the PS5 for current gen console exclusives we have had:

Demon's Souls
TLOU Part 1
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Forspoken
Final Fantasy 16
Destruction All-Stars
FF7 Remake Intergrade DLC
Astro's Playroom
Horizon FW Burning Shores DLC
Horizon Call of the Mountain - hell, every single PSVR2 game actually

You can add Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo which were timed exclusives.

Then we have the upcoming announced lineup, most of which should release before the PS5 Pro does:

Spider-Man 2
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Stellar Blade
Rise of the Ronin
DS2
Fairgame$
Concord
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Wolverine
Marathon (well, current gen exclusive, but multi-plat)

You're right, my bad.

EDIT: I don't count DLC or games that have not released yet though.

Last edited:
All I know is memory bandwidth desperately needs a significant boost, PS5 is bandwidth starved already.
Memory bandwidth concerns can be alleviated rather cost effective with higher speed GDDR6 (PS5 has 14 Gbps modules so they can swap those very cheaply with newer 18 Gbps modules) and increasing the size of that L2 cache or adding an L3 cache like Nvidia did with ada lovelace GPUs.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
2x RT performance is as simple as doubling the CU count with RDNA 3, as RDNA 3 already gives 50% more performance per CU.
yfIpOt9.png

I'm talking on a CU basis. And I'm sure that's how the spec should be interpreted, if indeed true. Even still, such a strategy of doubling CU would be highly inefficient and go directly against PS5/Cerny philosophy. RDNA 3 didn't get a significant frequency boost like RDNA to RDNA 2 so 72CU RDNA 3 doesn't make sense to me. I personally think they stick to 36cu with boosted frequency ~2.8ghz and simply add Sony proprietary RT hardware. Or else it's RDNA 4 based architecture.

I'm talking on a CU basis. And I'm sure that's how the spec should be interpreted, if indeed true. Even still, such a strategy of doubling CU would be highly inefficient and go directly against PS5/Cerny philosophy. RDNA 3 didn't get a significant frequency boost like RDNA to RDNA 2 so 72CU RDNA 3 doesn't make sense to me. I personally think they stick to 36cu with boosted frequency ~2.8ghz and simply add Sony proprietary RT hardware. Or else it's RDNA 4 based architecture.

This is due to memory limitations

Upgrade the memory speed, and doubling the CU suddenly makes sense

Loxus

Depends on if RDNA 4 is truly GPU chiplet based.
Two 40CU GPU chiplets does not go against what Cerny said in Road to PS5.

Sony doesn't have have to work on any proprietary RT hardware as AMD is already improving RT for RDNA 4.

AMD 2023 RT Patent with new Traversal Engine.
Graphics Processing Unit Traversal Engine
lgfVdMV.png

FIG. 1 is a block diagram of a graphics processing unit (GPU) that employs a hardware traversal engine to traverse a ray tracing structure in accordance with some embodiments.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Kind of want a bigger boat now that son is married and thinking of possibly having kids and we all start going out

Little story about our boat we have had it since 2018 and when Hurricane Dorian hit the Bahamas several of us got together and bought all the water and canned food and personal hygiene products we could find and we had 10 boats caravan from Jupiter FL to the Grand Bahamas as its only 50 some nautical miles

My boat being one of the smaller one was only allowed to load up on toilet paper and diapers because of weight limits taking her that far out so we got to carry all those type of products

FrankWza

Kind of want a bigger boat now that son is married and thinking of possibly having kids and we all start going out

Little story about our boat we have had it since 2018 and when Hurricane Dorian hit the Bahamas several of us got together and bought all the water and canned food and personal hygiene products we could find and we had 10 boats caravan from Jupiter FL to the Grand Bahamas as its only 50 some nautical miles

My boat being one of the smaller one was only allowed to load up on toilet paper and diapers because of weight limits taking her that far out so we got to carry all those type of products
Is it smaller sport fisher? Does the size limit what you can go after?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
the 6950xt is 80 CUs 23 tflops and offered double the performance of a 10.7 tflops 6600xt.

The cerny theory was mostly fluff to justify the 36 CU GPU. Tflops are tflops. They were trying to design a $399 console in 2020 and had to keep costs down. If they aim to target a $599 console, they should be able to get 72 CUs at the very least.

hTVBr4z.jpg

Last edited:

Historia

Banned
Depends on if RDNA 4 is truly GPU chiplet based.
Two 40CU GPU chiplets does not go against what Cerny said in Road to PS5.

Sony doesn't have have to work on any proprietary RT hardware as AMD is already improving RT for RDNA 4.

AMD 2023 RT Patent with new Traversal Engine.
Graphics Processing Unit Traversal Engine
lgfVdMV.png

FIG. 1 is a block diagram of a graphics processing unit (GPU) that employs a hardware traversal engine to traverse a ray tracing structure in accordance with some embodiments.

Don't trust AMD though, most of the RDNA2 features they advertise are useless. Their RDNA 3 50% uplift per CU is just outright lie

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I expect a 72 CU 20TF PS5 Pro with slightly higher memory bandwitch and improved RDNA4 capabilities

Guessing the price will be $599, and I will be there day 1 for it.

Would be weird if Xbox misses the party on this like they claim.
Going to say that would be my guess on price as well

I can't get a vibe on Xbox honestly so if they are doing a Pro people truly don't have any info on it

I do keep hearing people say at that point just buy a PC

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I expect a 72 CU 20TF PS5 Pro with slightly higher memory bandwitch and improved RDNA4 capabilities

XBox will be a year late just like last gen so they can claim to have the most powerful console. they will see whatever Sony can muster and then try and top it.

XBox will be a year late just like last gen so they can claim to have the most powerful console. they will see whatever Sony can muster and then try and top it.

Seems lame that they don't do it sooner though, if true. I just don't see a need to upgrade my Xbox when next gen will literally be 2 years later.

The One X was highly underutilized but the PS4 Pro seemed to get some decent traction. Sony released it at the right time.

Last edited:

Historia

Banned
Not really.
3Y3uvKm.jpg

7900XT = 84CUs = 43fps
6950 = 80CUs = 29fps

29 + 50% = 43.5
Keeping in mind the 4CU difference, i think AMD is spot on about their up to 50% claim.
That is just Ray Tracing performance, which AMD GPUs still ways behind compared NVIDIA.
Rasitization it is like 15-20% per CU.

Last edited:

Loxus

That is just Ray Tracing performance, which AMD GPUs still ways behind compared NVIDIA.
Rasitization it is like 15-20% per CU.
50% is for RT, which I was talking about, not rasterization .
JIUc4t9.png

And this thread has nothing to do with Nvidia as Nvidia isn't making Playstation consoles.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

it would be 37tf with 2ghz clock with rdna3/4, I wouldnt take into accounts teraflops as comparison with two different arch.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The cerny theory was mostly fluff to justify the 36 CU GPU. Tflops are tflops.

I think we've seen enough DF comparisons to understand it's more nuanced than "# tflops A vs. # tflops B". 6600xt is hobbled by memory bandwidth and IC on a per flop basis in comparison to 6900.

This is due to memory limitations

Upgrade the memory speed, and doubling the CU suddenly makes sense

You're talking about memory bandwidth? Wouldn't that be more expensive? And if it's less than 2x bandwidth uplift then the CUs become less efficient, all else equal. Would it not be better to uptick memory bandwidth in step with GPU frequency so you can still reap the benefits of higher performance in other gpu functions? Same power draw as base PS5 =130% higher clock for RDNA 3. 2.2ghz ==> ~2.8ghz; 448gb/s ==> ~560gb/s.

StereoVsn

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 I demand you make comparisons using fish and/or boat, ie. the new console will have twice as many fish per boat than the previous model

Edit: seriously though I expect something like the RX 7600 for the Pro. Something like 20-25TF.
It should have higher bandwidth vs RX7600 I would imagine, and could also have some features from RDNA 4 as well.

Mortal Kombat 1 is another game will be releasing on current gen only alongside payday 3, remnant II and many others.

About time developers started to ditch previous gen.

I think the slim/new revision is soon, here in Australia, the disc version is $100 off in most retailers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom